BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Ryan can play right back, and compete to play in central defence, and with one coming in, as well as Mulgrew, Lenihan, Williams, I think it looks alright to me."

It's a shame he's looking at that way. If we want to move forward and progress we should be signing a first choice centre back, pushing Willo or Mulgrew out, whichever he rates the least.

• Like 5

Anyone who thinks Bennett is a capable RB, Williams is capable anywhere on the pitch, and is happy with Charlie Mulgrew and Ryan Nyambe playing CB is not fit to walk the streets of the UK unaided, never mind manage a football club.

If we go into the season with this lot + Adarabioyo then we are fucked. In fact, I’d be absolutely amazed if we didn’t concede more than last season.

22 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

It is funny - didn't read it in the way you did. He mentioned Nyambe played well in the ACN - but also mentions there are parts of his game he needs to improve. You mention playing him out of position to accommodate Bennett - but if his international position is centre half there is obviously more than just TM that feels he do a job there. 

He talks about getting the right players in - up to 2 (which I think many see as the minimum) - but also promoting youth (how many on here have moaned about us getting in average players that block the route to the first team.

More than anything it looks like he is trying to portray a message of - we aren't desperate. I think many fans would disagree - especially in terms of an experienced defender - but I am willing to wait until after the transfer deadline before I start worrying too much.

Thing is, pretty much everyone of us knows that we don't need more players in positions who can "do a job", we need a centre half who's a f*cking centre half! The frustrating thing is, he should know this too... Better than anyone! 

If you look at some of my comments over the summer, I've been pretty reserved and very much not wanted to get wound up about transfers because I figured I'd just give it time... Now we're a week away from kick off and he's spouting conflicting, generalised rubbish when it would probably be better if he just said nothing. I'll happily have him eat my words if he dips into the market and gets a decent centre half, don't get me wrong I want him to do well, he's a good bloke... He just bloody drives me mad at times. 

• Like 3

Defensive situation is worrying indeed.

The man who spent the last few months of the season saying we are going to bring men in to defend and improve our weakest area, and the man who walked out of his last job (Coventry) blaming himself for not bringing in a big nasty centre back (his words), has now back tracked by saying he has faith in the current backline. What happened there? Will history repeat? I can't understand his reasoning in the slightest.

To only bring a very young centre back in on loan is very dangerous, a huge risk considering we should've and could've brought in well proven bodies (we've spent millions on lower priority areas).

Particularly infuriating as a better defence would give the current squad it's first legitimate chance of getting back to the Prem in a good few years. Not addressing this could well leave us looking over our shoulder rather than forwards.

Here's hoping Tosin turns out to be brilliant and we're surprised with a defensive addition later in the window, but that seems more unlikely than likely.

Everyone knows the defence wasnt good enough last season. The manager knows it and publicly admitted it at the end of last season.

Something has changed along the line. Either the manager has lost the plot and has suddenly decided that everything is fine and has performed a complete u turn or his conversations in India have forced him to change track.

Personally I think it is more the 2nd option. There isn't the flexibility or money to recruit the standard of defenders required so plan B is to wait patiently for favourable loans to materialise having missed out on the freebie he wanted. 

I can't believe for one minute that Mowbray would decide to invest as he has in the attack without spending on the defence.

I don't believe he has any intention of playing the likes of Hart, Grayson, Wharton or Rankin Costello in the team. He'll want them all out on loan and is playing them in friendlies to attract attention.

As I predicted a couple of weeks ago I believe there is a stipulation for departures off the payroll before arrivals will be sanctioned. The Walton one is only a loan and won't be costing much with Brighton making a large contribution. 

Unfortunately for Mowbray unless e makes the required signings or there is a radical change in performance/coaching with the existing ones he's going to be left with nowhere to hide and a fanbase running out of patience. 

A big issue in my opinion was the failure to capture Bauer. It looked like it was almost a done deal and maybe Mowbray thought that as well. I think the overconfidence in bringing in Bauer meant we didn't scout any other options and so when he went to Preston we were really thrown.

• Like 1

His Tony too safe in his job ?  and  if he really gives  it a real go  will  he  be  found out.  And his this way he seems too never really address the weaknesses of the team . Ever manager knows that you build a team from the back and after last season it was clear to see that we needed reinforcements. A big strong leader at CB a proper RB and LB but its looking like Bennett  and Bell and a kid from City will be it . So its another  season of missed opportunities gutted before a balls been kicked

59 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

It is funny - didn't read it in the way you did. He mentioned Nyambe played well in the ACN - but also mentions there are parts of his game he needs to improve. You mention playing him out of position to accommodate Bennett - but if his international position is centre half there is obviously more than just TM that feels he do a job there. 

We're not using the opinion of the coach of the mighty Namibia as validation now, surely?

• Like 3

Just now, bluebruce said:

We're not using the opinion of the coach of the mighty Namibia as validation now, surely?

It is another opinion - equally, if not more valid, than anyone's opinion on this board.

IMO he has actually shown great promise when playing at centre half. There are things he definitely needs to improve on to play the position full time - but I think TM recognises that. 

I think the non buying defenders theory is purely down to the manager and what he tells the owners and for those who are thinking he's keeping pressure off himself he wouldn't be if he spent millions on some defenders and we started leaking goals again badly, finger would point directly at him then.

I think we all know that if Boro were offloading a 30 odd year old defender who's legs had gone TM would be there with a short term contract for him but for now i reckon he's telling his bosses we are better going with the younger ones to develop and sell and the well paid old head in Mulgrew.

The keeper situation will have been both a headache and a well timed scapegoat.

It's down to the manager.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

Mowbray clearly states promotion is the aim

Posters repeatedly state that he doesn't want to sign players because it would put pressure on him to deliver

Mowbray signs player for around £15 million (so far) over 2 summer windows

Posters repeatedly state that he doesn't want to sign players because it would put pressure on him to deliver

It doesn't add up lads 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, Neal said:

I genuinely like the fella, even though I don't think he's the man to take us forwards but he doesn't half talk some absolute garbage. He definately gets by on his likeability, especially at Rovers, a rudderless ship where everyone has been scratching around desperately looking for someone decent to steer the ship but at another club with serious expectations of being promoted... I feel he'd be chewed up and spat out. Benefit of the doubt, it's his second season since we've been promoted but this is a massive test for him, I bloody hope he delivers! 

I hope so but I doubt it with each coming day. Maybe his problem is sometimes he's too open with the media as he's now said a few things which we all expect him to deliver on, yet he may have had a change of heart.

He's on record as saying this year is a play off push and he will be judged on that, even what we've spent to date is good for this division.

The warning signs are there for me, the way he talks about certain players like Reed and in particular Rothwell really don't add up to me. If he benches Rothwell again vs Charlton I think that will tip me over the edge tbh.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, iSeeRed said:

A big issue in my opinion was the failure to capture Bauer. It looked like it was almost a done deal and maybe Mowbray thought that as well. I think the overconfidence in bringing in Bauer meant we didn't scout any other options and so when he went to Preston we were really thrown.

Really think They are so stupid?

• Like 1

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I hope so but I doubt it with each coming day. Maybe his problem is sometimes he's too open with the media as he's now said a few things which we all expect him to deliver on, yet he may have had a change of heart.

He's on record as saying this year is a play off push and he will be judged on that, even what we've spent to date is good for this division.

The warning signs are there for me, the way he talks about certain players like Reed and in particular Rothwell really don't add up to me. If he benches Rothwell again vs Charlton I think that will tip me over the edge tbh.

You and me both, Rothwell is a touchy subject in particular for me, if he p*sses about with him the same way he did at the start of last season then I'll be wanting him out the door. 

• Like 3

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbray clearly states promotion is the aim

Posters repeatedly state that he doesn't want to sign players because it would put pressure on him to deliver

Mowbray signs player for around £15 million (so far) over 2 summer windows

Posters repeatedly state that he doesn't want to sign players because it would put pressure on him to deliver

It doesn't add up lads 

I agree that I don't think Mowbray is intentionally trying to prolong his tenure by not spending money and therefore not raising expectation - would be a stupid thing to do considering Bowyer was sacked when we were in mid table - but I do think something has changed between the end of last season and the present day that we aren't privy to. Mowbray inferred more than once last season that defence would be a key focus during this window and... here we are. Suddenly he's saying a CB pool of Nyambe, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Williams is "alright". I mean... it just isn't, is it? Lenihan is the only proven decent CB out of the lot and he's injury prone. Mulgrew is both injury prone and a very poor CB. Nyambe is untested in that position long-term, and Williams, whilst a better CB than LB, isn't close to a top six CB. 

I've mentioned before that I think Mowbray talks too much. Sometimes it's better to say less, especially if you're prone to giving contradictory opinions across months if not weeks. Despite what some say he does not HAVE to reveal anything if a microphone is in his face. He can choose to say little or nothing if he wants to. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a manager willing to communicate, but not when he sends mixed and contradictory messages as he has been with our defence. To me that is just concerning and suggests there is some frustration behind the scenes not allowing the manager to do what he wants to do. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 6

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I have literally never seen a poster say that, but don't let that get in the way of your narrative! 

To be fair not on here.

LT below the line and Facebook groups very much so. 

‘We need to be realistic we can’t compete with parachutes’ etc

• Like 1

I knew if I waited long enough the "Transfer Thread" would become the "Mowbray Out" thread. This morning seems to be the final straw.

I recall the majority of fans on the poll voted to "give him the summer" whereas most of us saw the iceberg. Of course there is still the 30% who think hes King Kenny II.

Unless he shocks "the world" in the next 8 days and brings in a proper CB (he's already dropped the ball with GK situation) and doesn't start the season with the likes of Nyambe, Travis, Rothwell etc... he will be facing an uphill battle to ever win me back.

Hypothetically: if he did win promotion, (no chance IMO) could you imagine his transfer policy next summer... I dread to think, ? honestly. 

If he continues down the path I think he's on, I really think hes gone by Halloween, rightfully so. Venkys have given him too much money to allow him to plod along another season.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

I agree that I don't think Mowbray is intentionally trying to prolong his tenure by not spending money and therefore not raising expectation - would be a stupid thing to do considering Bowyer was sacked when we were in mid table - but I do think something has changed between the end of last season and the present day that we aren't privy to. Mowbray inferred more than once last season that defence would be a key focus during this window and... here we are. Suddenly he's saying a CB pool of Nyambe, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Williams is "alrighr". I mean... it just isn't, is it? Lenihan is the only proven decent CB out of the lot and he's injury prone. Mulgrew is both injury prone and a very poor CB. Nyambe is untested in that position long-term, and Williams, whilst a better CB than LB, isn't close to a top six CB. 

I've mentioned before that I think Mowbray talks too much. Sometimes it's better to say less, especially if you're prone to giving contradictory opinions across months if not weeks. Despite what some say he does not HAVE to reveal anything if a microphone is in his face. He can choose to say little or nothing if he wants to. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a manager willing to communicate, but not when he sends mixed and contradictory messages as he has been with our defence. To me that is just concerning and suggests there is some frustration behind the scenes not allowing the manager to do what he wants to do. 

You are probably right. I think it could also be a bit along the lines that he is incredibly particular about players "attitude and personality" and that's why he appears so slow to move on guys that we would have been happy with and who have completed transfers this summer, Jannsen for example. 

Ya, those comments he made where he said "defenders are coming" were unequivocal and it appears, up to now at least, that there has been a cooling on that. He was clearly angry that day and maybe he just softened when the dust settled. Incorrectly in my opinion and at the end of the day, he did indeed make the statement so if we don't do that, he has gone back on his word.