BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, DE. said:

We had quite a few of them last season as well!

Bristol City 4-1 Rovers

Stoke 2-3 Rovers

Preston 4-1 Rovers

Wigan 3-1 Rovers

Rovers 4-2 Sheff Weds

Leeds 3-2 Rovers

Brentford 5-2 Rovers

Rotherham 3-2 Rovers

Sheff Weds 4-2 Rovers

Not to mention all the 2-2's - Ipswich, Reading, Forest, Birmingham (x2), Swansea...

Crazy stuff when you look at the list 

Nature of the championship is very topsy turvy so high scoring games and surprise tankings are never unusual and it'll happen again. What we need to cut of if we want to be successful is the volume of ball watching, dozing and individual errors. Not easy at this level giving what there is to select from so the only real way is buy and pay better quality.

Just now, DE. said:

Bristol City 4-1 Rovers

Stoke 2-3 Rovers

Preston 4-1 Rovers

Wigan 3-1 Rovers

Rovers 4-2 Sheff Weds

Leeds 3-2 Rovers

Brentford 5-2 Rovers

Rotherham 3-2 Rovers

Sheff Weds 4-2 Rovers

Not to mention all the 2-2's - Ipswich, Reading, Forest, Birmingham (x2), Swansea...

And yet big Tony thinks the current personnel have got this defending lark all tied up

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Crazy stuff when you look at the list 

That's 32 goals conceded from just 10 away games listed there. Scandalous.

However that means we only conceded 27 goals from the other 31 games combined (18 home, 13 away)...  impressive.

I'm not sure what stat is more shocking, but it does tell you that a quality CB would make a huge difference. 

It's by no means the final piece of the jigsaw but fuck sake Tony it's been the key piece for 9 months. Get one in, spend this "untouched" Raya money and give us a chance.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Bristol City 4-1 Rovers

Stoke 2-3 Rovers

Preston 4-1 Rovers

Wigan 3-1 Rovers

Rovers 4-2 Sheff Weds

Leeds 3-2 Rovers

Brentford 5-2 Rovers

Rotherham 3-2 Rovers

Sheff Weds 4-2 Rovers

That's 42 of the 68 in just 15 games!

51 minutes ago, DE. said:

Unfortunately mate we've been here before. Under Bowyer we had Rhodes and Gestede firing in 20+ goals a season, supplied by the likes of Conway, Marshall and King. We even had Hanley and Duffy at CB which most would see as a decent enough Championship pairing. Unfortunately in Bowyer's case his blind spot was CM, where we had the likes of Evans, Lowe, Williamson, etc slowing us down, and RB where it was Lowe, Kane, Henley, and so on. Not to mention GK as if Robbo wasn't available we were playing the likes of Jake Kean and Simon Eastwood.

It seems like we always have a part of the team hugely unbalanced, undoing the good work done by the rest of the team. It's very frustrating. I agree that we really aren't that far away. I still think we need a LB alongside a CB, but it looks like we'll get neither and once again a lack of balance is likely to hinder our efforts in the coming season. 

I think a big part of Bowyer's problem was always sticking with Rhodes. Our best performances under Gary where in the cup when Gestede and King were partnered together. Rhodes is a fine finisher but doesn't have a great deal more to his game. And now we have a lot of fantastic young players coming through, and some very astute signings by Tony. Tony knows we need an experienced CB; hopefully we secure a good one very soon.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Bennett is fucking shit. Sorry. If there was a nuclear holocaust that wiped out 80% of the UK I’d still be disappointed if he found his way into our squad.

Bennett is an 100 percenter that would play anywhere; a fantastic squad player. He and Downing will be excellent substitutes for us. 

Just now, Vilesinner said:

Bennett is an 100 percenter that would play anywhere; a fantastic squad player. He and Downing will be excellent substitutes for us. 

means nothing when Bennett is dross in most of the positions he plays its another example of Mowbray shoehorning in his favourites

• Like 4

Lenihan and Mulgrew together could be ok, they have played together a fair bit now and that should stand to them. The main problem is between Lenihan, Mulgrew and Williams you have 3 players who you can pretty much guarantee will miss a fair few games through injury. Happens every season. Some center halves rarely get injured and play every game. Of course you can never predict when someone might get injured, but it's safe to predict the lads will. Therefore it is even more important we have reinforcements. If it was just that we can't defend well enough with these players, it would be one thing, but the scary part is if we don't get a few in, we could have a ludicrous looking defence lining up in a game, something like this

Bennett Nyambe Mulgrew Bell

Bennett Magloire Williams Bell

Imagine then Bell got injured

Bennett Nyambe Mulgrew Williams 

If everyone is fit it is worrying enough, the inevitable injuries could leave us in a crazy spot. Again. 

So basically, I don't even care if Mowbray wants to trust who is here, I disagree but what can you do. The thing is we have been stung with injuries in those positions the past 2 seasons, got away with it in League 1 due to Downing slotting in and weaker opposition, didn't get away with it last season. It is inexcusable not to sign defensive reinforcements due to the fact that our current center halves have past form with injuries, even leaving the question marks over some of their ability aside. 

Jack of all trades master of none is Bennett. And whilst Mowbray is manager he won't be a sub, as Mowbray will shoehorn him in to the starting 11 somewhere to the detriment of the team.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I put a 20 pounds on us getting promotion. got odds of 10/1. 

Have a word with your bookie!

PaddyP, Skybet and WH all offer 16/1.

• Backroom

I think a big part of Bowyer's problem was always sticking with Rhodes. Our best performances under Gary where in the cup when Gestede and King were partnered together. Rhodes is a fine finisher but doesn't have a great deal more to his game. And now we have a lot of fantastic young players coming through, and some very astute signings by Tony. Tony knows we need an experienced CB; hopefully we secure a good one very soon.

I wouldn't necessarily have called Rhodes a problem as he did what he was there to do - score goals. The problem is we became very one-dimensional and ended up relying on him (and briefly Gestede) to score as nobody else in the team was contributing. King was completely wasted whilst he was here, although in GB's defence he did have a number of injury problems during his spell here and his attitude on the pitch was at times questionable. People point to him being used on the wing rather than as an out-and-out forward, but Bournemouth have played him there plenty of times as well and he looked far more up for it there then he ever did when he was here. I don't read too much into the cup games as they were much easier to be motivated for than the grind of the average Championship fixture.

Bowyer just didn't know how to use pacy, flair players. He kept playing Cairney on the wing, brought in Mo Barrow for a cup of tea before he went back to Swansea due to lack of game time, gave us the slowest, most boring centre-midfield in existence and in general made us a very sludgy, attritional team with Jason Lowe at the heart of it. I try not to knock GB as I still think he did well considering his lack of experience as a first team manager (none), but under a better manager I genuinely think we would have made the playoffs in 13-14 and maybe 14-15 as well. Two big opportunities missed solely because Venky's always go cheap on the managerial position.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

He knew that he could buy his way out league one, not so easy in championship and he doubt himself. Believe me he has taken flak from venkys for Ben. Once bitten....

Probably taken flak because Venky's want him playing regularly to increase his value. Mowbray doesn't think he is up to it ( or didn't last season - he said he wasn't strong enough and needed to develop ). 

I am convinced BB was a Venky influenced signing, fitting all their criteria. So if Mowbray has been getting flak it's for not playing him rather than buying him. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Rhodes scored 20 goals every season. He was more than anyone the player who was very much doing his job consistently.

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lenihan and Mulgrew together could be ok

Strongly disagree. They have proven not to be good enough at this level. Mulgrew is past it no matter who he is next to.

Agree with the rest of your post though in general.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Can’t say what exactly has been said as that’s private meetings but I know venkys have been asking why he hasn’t been playing when they invested so heavily. They still believe they will get their money back and more but they want to see better results from big money buys. I don’t think we will see another big buy for the future type. They weren’t overly fond of that deal last season, so being tighter on any deals before signing off, hence the big delays 

Some questions;

What qualifies as "better results"? As billionaire's you'd hope they have some grasp that some investments take longer to get a return on/make profit than others.

You don't think we will see another big money buy for the future because of Brereton - what was Gallagher?

I've read lots of opinions that Brereton was somewhat forced on TM by the fat one with the pony tail yet you're claiming they weren't fond of that deal. How do you know this?

Not surprised with LT article and Mowbray's comments.

Bottom line - don't think there's a pot to p1ss in for transfers and the Brereton farce has screwed us big time.

After what Mowbray said at Blues to where we are now is, IMO, a complete and utter farce.

We need a manger who knows the market and can work it.

Have a great weekend all!

• Like 3

From Sky sports news below.  The whole paragraph is mad. The random clubs linked, the crazy fee quoted. They are really going out side the box on the 3 club rule. "Mmm, people are getting wise to that, I know!! 4 club rule and they all have to be from different countries. Boom! Who's off to the pub?" "Mike, it's 9.30am."

Sunderland goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin is being pursued by four clubs, according to Sky sources.

The 31-year-old, who has a year left to run on his contract at the Stadium of Light, has been the subject of approaches from Millwall, Trabzonspor in Turkey, Qarabag in Azerbaijan and Ludogorets in Bulgaria.

Sunderland are understood to want £5m for the goalkeeper, who has been capped once by Scotland.

• Like 1

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Some questions;

What qualifies as "better results"? As billionaire's you'd hope they have some grasp that some investments take longer to get a return on/make profit than others.

You don't think we will see another big money buy for the future because of Brereton - what was Gallagher?

I've read lots of opinions that Brereton was somewhat forced on TM by the fat one with the pony tail yet you're claiming they weren't fond of that deal. How do you know this?

Better results? 

Gallagher has been here before and venkys were happy with his contribution that season, for that reason they were happy to stump up cash although they weren’t wanting it at 5 mill, hence the protracted pursuit. Only finally agreeing to it when it was pay up or he went elsewhere forcing their hand.

brereton was picked out by mowbray, And given the sell as he will be a success and earn money back. Those comments that he was forced into mowbray are wide of the mark. They want him playing more for quicker money back. 

Got a few contacts within the club garnered from jack walker days when I lived next door to his sister near Glasgow and would go to the games and within Ewood with his brother in law. Kept in touch with a few I met over the years. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Better results? 

Gallagher has been here before and venkys were happy with his contribution that season, for that reason they were happy to stump up cash although they weren’t wanting it at 5 mill, hence the protracted pursuit. Only finally agreeing to it when it was pay up or he went elsewhere forcing their hand.

brereton was picked out by mowbray, And given the sell as he will be a success and earn money back. Those comments that he was forced into mowbray are wide of the mark. They want him playing more for quicker money back. 

Got a few contacts within the club garnered from jack walker days when I lived next door to his sister near Glasgow and would go to the games and within Ewood with his brother in law. Kept in touch with a few I met over the years. 

Hmm I'd really like to believe those clowns know who Gallagher is from the last time he was here, given that we're their "baby", but somehow I just don't believe it.

Good connections though fair play.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Rhodes scored 20 goals every season. He was more than anyone the player who was very much doing his job consistently.

Strongly disagree. They have proven not to be good enough at this level. Mulgrew is past it no matter who he is next to.

Agree with the rest of your post though in general.

You strongly disagree Lenihan and Mulgrew are OK? I don't.  It's just we need to have considerably better than OK to have any hope of getting to the top 10 or higher. 

I'm glad you agree with the rest ;)

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

From Sky sports news below.  The whole paragraph is mad. The random clubs linked, the crazy fee quoted. They are really going out side the box on the 3 club rule. "Mmm, people are getting wise to that, I know!! 4 club rule and they all have to be from different countries. Boom! Who's off to the pub?" "Mike, it's 9.30am."

Sunderland goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin is being pursued by four clubs, according to Sky sources.

The 31-year-old, who has a year left to run on his contract at the Stadium of Light, has been the subject of approaches from Millwall, Trabzonspor in Turkey, Qarabag in Azerbaijan and Ludogorets in Bulgaria.

Sunderland are understood to want £5m for the goalkeeper, who has been capped once by Scotland.

£5 million for a 31 year old playing in league 1 with year left on his contract. No chance of anyone paying £5million for him

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbray clearly states promotion is the aim

Posters repeatedly state that he doesn't want to sign players because it would put pressure on him to deliver

Mowbray signs player for around £15 million (so far) over 2 summer windows

Posters repeatedly state that he doesn't want to sign players because it would put pressure on him to deliver

It doesn't add up lads 

God knows what you're on about! The important thing is he hasn't fixed the defence lad----whatever he says!

• Like 1

WTF is going on with the Ada deal, he was supposed to arrive a week ago. Our defence is total wank and desperately needs sorting, to blindly go with the worst defence in the league backed up by a few unproven U23s is suicidal.

Have we now adopted the Keegan mantra of you score 4 we'll score 5, as exciting as that may be to watch it's also ridiculously unlikely with one up top. Venkys, Mowbray and Waggot all need a good kick in the slats if they don't sort it out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

£5 million for a 31 year old playing in league 1 with year left on his contract. No chance of anyone paying £5million for him

And even less of any of those clubs doing so!

Could i just seek the advice of all those who told us the window wasn't over yet and the degree of panic on the MB was way over the top.

My question is "is it time to panic now?"

If not could you tell us "when?"

• Like 2