BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I would have  expected Mulgrew  to have moved on by now to be honest ... I am a fan of his I think he's been a fantastic player for us and will never forget the contribution he's made especially over the last 2 seasons but it's quite clear he is no longer capable at this level . I was kind of hoping Mowbray had a grown up conversation with him at the end of season thanking him for everything telling him and his agent to find a new club and granting him a free transfer , I genuinely thought Sunderland would have been perfect for him and he's not the only one Bennett , Gladwin and Smallwood should all have had same conversation 

• Like 4

Just now, Paul Mani said:

What is interesting though is that surely we now have to go and get another LB?

Who can Also play c/b  .... Or left wing or centre mid 

Edited by AJW

The frustrating thing is that last January if we’d gone out and loaned a CB and LB we might have pushed for playoffs. How much would that have cost? 

There’s something wrong with the way the club plan transfer strategy and seal deals. That’s not necessarily Mowbrays fault. 

• Like 3

Just now, OJRovers said:

The frustrating thing is that last January if we’d gone out and loaned a CB and LB we might have pushed for playoffs. How much would that have cost? 

There’s something wrong with the way the club plan transfer strategy and seal deals. That’s not necessarily Mowbrays fault. 

He's an ex -  centre half who has had more than enough time to sort the defence by now.

Nothing that he's said has suggested that he is being prevented from recruiting defenders.

It's more a case of his misguided loyalty to certain players, in my opinion.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

He knew that he could buy his way out league one, not so easy in championship and he doubt himself. Believe me he has taken flak from venkys for Ben. Once bitten....

Can you clarify exactly what Venkys have said to TM about Brereton? These clowns have no idea about what a good footballer looks like, so I find it a bit of stretch that they've given TM "flak" for a young lad that's not been given much a chance to shine as yet. 

10 minutes ago, martonrover said:

He's an ex -  centre half who has had more than enough time to sort the defence by now.

Nothing that he's said has suggested that he is being prevented from recruiting defenders.

It's more a case of his misguided loyalty to certain players, in my opinion.

Totally agree, both him and his assistant were both defenders. You would think that theirs teams would have a strong defensive unit

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Twice sh....errr no because he just stumped up another £5m on Gallagher in the same position!? 

I really appreciate your info and attempts to keep us updated but you’re making no sense. Spending over £1m in transfer fees (never mind wages) in League 1 is not ‘keeping himself safe’ or dampening expectation. It’s the opposite. Likewise spending £7m on a 19yr old in your first season back in the championship and then spending a further £5m on another striker this summer, are not the actions of a reluctant manager.

I will agree to disagree, he has spent heavily on attack but nowhere else across the park, he constantly says there is money but he won’t spend it because he doesn’t feel like he is getting value. To me that’s a reluctant manager to back his own talents in the transfer market. But I do respect your view

• Like 4

I genuinely like the fella, even though I don't think he's the man to take us forwards but he doesn't half talk some absolute garbage. He definately gets by on his likeability, especially at Rovers, a rudderless ship where everyone has been scratching around desperately looking for someone decent to steer the ship but at another club with serious expectations of being promoted... I feel he'd be chewed up and spat out. Benefit of the doubt, it's his second season since we've been promoted but this is a massive test for him, I bloody hope he delivers! 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 4

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Can you clarify exactly what Venkys have said to TM about Brereton? These clowns have no idea about what a good footballer looks like, so I find it a bit of stretch that they've given TM "flak" for a young lad that's not been given much a chance to shine as yet. 

Can’t say what exactly has been said as that’s private meetings but I know venkys have been asking why he hasn’t been playing when they invested so heavily. They still believe they will get their money back and more but they want to see better results from big money buys. I don’t think we will see another big buy for the future type. They weren’t overly fond of that deal last season, so being tighter on any deals before signing off, hence the big delays 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neal said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17795892.rovers-boss-mowbray-likelihood-defensive-additions/

Seriously, what on earth is he wittering on about here? Let's keep in mind he was a centre half. He's considering Nyambe at centre half even though he thinks he's not a physical or commanding presence, what??? Openly admitting we didn't have men at the back last season and had to rely on youngsters... But is willing to risk another season of mediocrity and trust in untested youngsters again???

Of course, we all know he's trying to sell us Nyambe as a centre half to us now to accommodate Bennett at right back, so not only is he playing him out of position... He's now intending to play Nyambe out of position too... And what's going to be out right back cover? A centre half from City. 

For f*ck sake man, wake up! I've never known a manager want to make football so much more complicated than it needs to be. 

It is funny - didn't read it in the way you did. He mentioned Nyambe played well in the ACN - but also mentions there are parts of his game he needs to improve. You mention playing him out of position to accommodate Bennett - but if his international position is centre half there is obviously more than just TM that feels he do a job there. 

He talks about getting the right players in - up to 2 (which I think many see as the minimum) - but also promoting youth (how many on here have moaned about us getting in average players that block the route to the first team.

More than anything it looks like he is trying to portray a message of - we aren't desperate. I think many fans would disagree - especially in terms of an experienced defender - but I am willing to wait until after the transfer deadline before I start worrying too much.

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm

I think the goals against column last season shows we are desperate for some real quality at the back. It's very worrying that TM now seems satisfied with the same group he was critical of in the final weeks of last season. I'd be surprised if we see anyone coming in now 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Can’t say what exactly has been said as that’s private meetings but I know venkys have been asking why he hasn’t been playing when they invested so heavily. They still believe they will get their money back and more but they want to see better results from big money buys. I don’t think we will see another big buy for the future type. They weren’t overly fond of that deal last season, so being tighter on any deals before signing off, hence the big delays 

Interesting that they still gave the green light to the Gallagher deal.

But I must admit - even looking it as a business - I would be annoyed that I had invested £7m on a player that hardly ever played.

So what is our chance of an experienced defender coming through the door ?

• Like 3

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Interesting that they still gave the green light to the Gallagher deal.

But I must admit - even looking it as a business - I would be annoyed that I had invested £7m on a player that hardly ever played.

So what is our chance of an experienced defender coming through the door ?

Not heard of any names lately, if they are working on one it’s being kept very secret. I would hope so but I’m more leaning towards there won’t be.  Fingers crossed 

Just now, dallydally said:

I think the goals against column last season shows we are desperate for some real quality at the back. It's very worrying that TM now seems satisfied with the same group he was critical of in the final weeks of last season. I'd be surprised if we see anyone coming in now 

On the positive - I think Johnson (and at times Downing) will help us out defensively this season - defending is as much about the whole team as the 5 at the back.

Only time will tell - but getting a taller keeper may help with our vulnerability at corners - as will Johnson.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Miller11 said:

No he hasn’t. I asked him on Twitter if he had any idea what the hold up was. Sharpe said he thought it might have been to do with a new contract from City but he has been told it wasn’t.

I’d bet good money the dithering is coming from our end.

He also said it will definitely happen. 

I don't see what rovers could be dithering about with regards this loan to be honest 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Not heard of any names lately, if they are working on one it’s being kept very secret. I would hope so but I’m more leaning towards there won’t be.  Fingers crossed 

Disgrace if true.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

We've heard previously that they question why people they pay big wages to and big money for aren't playing so no surprise if this is true.

It will also mean the old favs are usually regular starters whilst they are here and also the Rhodes always starts when fit theory from the recent past.

• Like 2

I've tended to be keen to give Mowbray a chance but after this absolute nonsense of not getting a proper, experienced centre half in this window so far, and seemingly not too fussed about doing so, he's officially lost me. Mentally preparing myself for more absolute drubbings away from home

• Like 1