BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Fake news. I would say on here it is about 50/50 and in other places even more optimism. 

Johnson will be a big player in the middle. Downing will bring some experience and excellent crossing ability, which we lacked. Rothwell and Travis will feature more from the beginning. Gallagher and Brereton should start adding goals to help Dack and Graham out. Dack will have a season at this level under his belt. New keeper looks to be an improvement on Raya. The lad from city to come and potentially a center half. Most importantly Damien Johnson in and around the first team will give a boost of energy and fresh ideas. 

If you look at the horrific run we went on last season and assume that the team learned from that, then there are a lot of points to be played for that we pissed away last season. 

14 extra points would have gotten us into the play offs. Not impossible to do at all. 

The key phrase in the post you quoted is thus far. Thus far we haven’t improved the defence at all. I’d say that alone makes any assumption that anything has been learnt from that horrific run is a bit of a stretch. Adarabioyo has been on the verge of signing for a week. Something odd going on there... as for other defenders, let’s hope the habit of 9 years is broken because we will struggle without them.

• Like 3

• Backroom

@OssyLad Stop repeating yourself needlessly, and in a way that's trying to wind up others. It'll be sin bin again next.

Make your point, substantiate it, debate freely.

I'd also suggest others stop rising to it. Report instead. We're adults here. Apparently.

• Like 4

Just now, Mike E said:

@OssyLad Stop repeating yourself needlessly, and in a way that's trying to wind up others. It'll be sin bin again next.

I'd also suggest others stop rising to it. Report instead. We're adults here. Apparently.

Welcome back!

21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Fake news. I would say on here it is about 50/50 and in other places even more optimism. 

Johnson will be a big player in the middle. Downing will bring some experience and excellent crossing ability, which we lacked. Rothwell and Travis will feature more from the beginning. Gallagher and Brereton should start adding goals to help Dack and Graham out. Dack will have a season at this level under his belt. New keeper looks to be an improvement on Raya. The lad from city to come and potentially a center half. Most importantly Damien Johnson in and around the first team will give a boost of energy and fresh ideas. 

If you look at the horrific run we went on last season and assume that the team learned from that, then there are a lot of points to be played for that we pissed away last season. 

14 extra points would have gotten us into the play offs. Not impossible to do at all. 

No, the 14 -15 extra points required to sneak into the bottom end of the play offs wouldn't be out of the question ordinarily, I just don't think it will ever happen under Mowbray, even if (god forbid) he were to stay another 10 years.

I'll agree with you about Damien Johnson. Positive move.

Other than that, when you say Johnson will be a "big" player for us, on the evidence of the first game it's not clear whether that refers to his weight or his likely impact. Downgrade on Reed imo.

Downing like Conway is  a complete waste of a squad place and wages imo and will only hinder the likes of Rothwell and Chapman from getting enough game time. 

Doubt Mowbray will drop the static Danny Graham so Gallagher if he's used at all will provably be sidelined into one of the manager's favoured "wide striker" roles. Ditto Brereton.

I personally doubt that the keeper will be any upgrade at all on Raya and I wouldn't mind wagering that the Citeh lad, if he comes in will only be used as squad cover at either RB or CB and wouldn't be a first team starter in "We mustn't upset the first team lads" Tony Mowbray's eyes.

So have we improved or regressed? I certainly wouldn't say we're any stronger, about the same at best, and therefore if other teams have strengthened we've gone backwards.

Funnily enough I  could get behind a starting line up like the one at Bury last night regardless of results initially. It was young, exciting and gives you something to believe in. However unless Mowbray has completely changed  his spots I fear we'll bomb with a starting line up extremely similar to the Rangers one.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

Slow news day.

Problem a lot of people (or is it 50:50 ?) have with Mowbray is even if we brought in Jorge Mendes or Mino Riaola to do our scouting and spending, gaining us unearthed gems the likes of Ruben Neves (for example), I still honestly think Corry Evans, Elliott Bennett and the like would be higher up Tony's pecking order.

On the positive front, 3 Tony Mowbray signings scored last night. 

On the negative, that second half formation at Bury was abhorrent. Two wide forwards in Graham (LF) and Armstrong (RF) with Dack as the false 9.

Tony...4-2-3-1, repeat, 4-2-3-1.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

The key phrase in the post you quoted is thus far. Thus far we haven’t improved the defence at all. I’d say that alone makes any assumption that anything has been learnt from that horrific run is a bit of a stretch. Adarabioyo has been on the verge of signing for a week. Something odd going on there... as for other defenders, let’s hope the habit of 9 years is broken because we will struggle without them.

I would imagine he's been given the usual Mowbray speech about not being a guaranteed first team starter and having to dislodge players already here etc 

Him (and Citeh) might be weighing up their options and wondering whether to send him somewhere he is likely to get more game time.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

No, the 14 -15 extra points required to sneak into the bottom end of the play offs wouldn't be out of the question ordinarily, I just don't think it will ever happen under Mowbray, even if (god forbid) he were to stay another 10 years.

I'll agree with you about Damien Johnson. Positive move.

Other than that, when you say Johnson will be a "big" player for us, on the evidence of the first game it's not clear whether that refers to his weight or his likely impact. Downgrade on Reed imo.

Downing like Conway is  a complete waste of a squad place and wages imo and will only hinder the likes of Rothwell and Chapman from getting enough game time. 

Doubt Mowbray will drop the static Danny Graham so Gallagher if he's used at all will provably be sidelined into one of the manager's favoured "wide striker" roles. Ditto Brereton.

I personally doubt that the keeper will be any upgrade at all on Raya and I wouldn't mind wagering that the Citeh lad, if he comes in will only be used as squad cover at either RB or CB and wouldn't be a first team starter in "We mustn't upset the first team lads" Tony Mowbray's eyes.

So have we improved or regressed? I certainly wouldn't say we're any stronger, about the same at best, and therefore if other teams have strengthened we've gone backwards.

Funnily enough I  could get behind a starting line up like the one at Bury last night regardless of results initially. It was young, exciting and gives you something to believe in. However unless Mowbray has completely changed  his spots I fear we'll bomb wa starting line up extremely similar to the Rangers one.

Reed played in a different position to Johnson, so not like for like.

Downing will feature far more than Conway did and I would hope he will offer far more also. 

Static Danny Graham? Bit harsh. I actually think Gallagher will end up being first choice in the striker role, possibly as early as the first game. 

Raya alone cost us 14 points last season. I can't see anything but improvement there. 

I agree about the city lad, he is being brought in as a squad player. Maybe that is why the move has stalled. I don't think we should be making any guarantees to city about how much game time he will get. 

I think it is important to note that a vast number of the other teams are no better off, many worse off. We are doing well by comparison, even though you wouldn't think it reading some of the posts here at times.

That's what frustrates me about Mowbray the most, his team selections. I think we have a team that can really compete if utilized correctly. Credit to Mowbray fro assembling it. I just wish he let the shackles off at times and didn't over rely on the players he "trusts". 

• Like 3

I think it is important to note that a vast number of the other teams are no better off, many worse off. We are doing well by comparison, even though you wouldn't think it reading some of the posts here at times.

Whilst we still have the same defence that shipped 69 goals last season then we are no better off.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Johnson will be a "big" player for us, on the evidence of the first game it's not clear whether that refers to his weight 

This worries me. Our fitness has been an issue over the last couple of years so a mid thirties chunker in midfield isnt ideal

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Whilst we still have the same defence that shipped 69 goals last season then we are no better off.

We have a new keeper, with hopefully 2 more defenders to come.

Most of the damage done last season was when Lenihan was out injured. So I really hope he stays fit this season and ideally gets a new partner , or even Williams back and in beside him. 

I hope Mulgrew ups his game, if he doesn't then I am sure he will be dropped again, as he was last season. It's just a pity that Mowbray will probably have to learn the hard way. 

27 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Surely we have to see a defender today? 

It's becoming very frustrating. Somebody else posted earlier that maybe we've moved away from tosin and have someone new lined up and that's the delay. I'm beginning to think that makes sense. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

This worries me. Our fitness has been an issue over the last couple of years so a mid thirties chunker in midfield isnt ideal

He's neither fat nor unfit.  A poster misinterpreted Mowbarys comments yesterday and now low and behold we have a new narrative on here, Johnson is fat. Comical.  

Here are the quotes again 

He needed a game. He’s a lad who has some physicality about him, some size but plenty of quality in his left foot,” Mowbray said of the former Leeds United and Norwich City man.

“He needs to play, be fit, and get him as many minutes as possible.

He's neither fat nor unfit.  A poster misinterpreted Mowbarys comments yesterday and now low and behold we have a new narrative on here, Johnson is fat. Comical.  

Here are the quotes again 

He needed a game. He’s a lad who has some physicality about him, some size but plenty of quality in his left foot,” Mowbray said of the former Leeds United and Norwich City man.

“He needs to play, be fit, and get him as many minutes as possible.

I'm just going off Rev saying he looked a bit big.....soz.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Well is it any wonder when you make sweeping comments like that when we finished last season in a lowly 15th position and have since had a very poor transfer window thus far in the eyes of most people.

You might as well say "Under Mowbray it'll be automatic promotion this season. pip Citeh to the Premier League next season then after that we'll round it off with a trio of Champions League successes".

It's about as likely as what you said and it comes across as irritating when you state you apparently expect us to improve by around 30 points next season when nothing has happened to support that scenario!

15th in our first season back, I’d of took that at start season. Dreamland some of you 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I’m positive we’ll be in top 6. Its called having faith. Mowbray as built a decent team. Don’t know how anyone else can’t see it ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

We are way better off. Having half a dozen young players ready to play a part for us this year; 2 at least in defence. And a keeper that won't disappear under a load of bodies when the ball comes in the box.

Really disappointed about Hart's injury. He and JRC are big players for us at fullback this year and will be a big part of the expansive football Tony wishes to play.

Need a big experienced Centre back though. But haven't been this excited for a season to begin in a decade. ?

• Like 3

Sharpe just tweeted that the young fella from City whose name I will not attempt to spell yet is DEFINITELY joining. Said he was in talks with City about a contract extension and that he thinks that is the reason for the delay. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Just now, Neal said:

Don't know about anyone else but this doesn't fill me with confidence with that a proper centre half being signed.. 

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/july/recruitment-never-stops-says-the-boss/

The bit I noticed was about Joe Rothwell being young and needs to develop, he needs to bloody well start.

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, OssyLad said:

I’m positive we’ll be in top 6. Its called having faith. Mowbray as built a decent team. Don’t know how anyone else can’t see it ?

You’ve not seen the defence?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

• Backroom

I just can't see us cracking top 6 with a defence of Bennett - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Bell. Even swapping Nyambe for Bennett or the City lad for Mulgrew I just don't think it's strong enough. 

• Like 5