BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mattyblue said:

‘Offensively’ to note attacking prowess is perfectly acceptable, in contrast to ‘offense’, the opposite of ‘DEEfense’ as the Americans like to use, which certainly is not, thanks though.

I would never use it. It looks and sounds American.

Anyway, back to the non-existent transfers....

Just now, bluebruce said:

Could. He probably impressed him enough in the next two games to have made him decide to keep him here.

In truth though I was more making the point about Mowbray saying one thing and then flipping it some time later. It's academic now though with him being injured.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

In truth though I was more making the point about Mowbray saying one thing and then flipping it some time later. It's academic now though with him being injured.

I know, and I'd agree if he had said he was going out on loan. But he said we will see. We then played a couple more friendlies, and he saw. I think he flip-flops a lot, but I really think there's nothing to see with those comments. He said he was going to make a decision, then he made it, then as you say the lad was unlucky enough to get injured anyway.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Roaming Rover said:

Playing devils advocate a little, but didn’t we have the 5th best defence in the league at home. Better than Norwich and Villa? 

Granted away it was very poor and needs addressing but is it really as bad as some are making out? 

Yes.

Maybe Mowbray doesn’t have any budget at all. Maybe there is micromanagement/interference going on to the extent that he has to speak to them about each and every signing the club make and get their ok. And maybe they make their decisions on a number of factors including which way the wind happens to be blowing at that particular moment in time.

• Like 4

Just now, Miller11 said:

Maybe Mowbray doesn’t have any budget at all. Maybe there is micromanagement/interference going on to the extent that he has to speak to them about each and every signing the club make and get their ok. And maybe they make their decisions on a number of factors including which way the wind happens to be blowing at that particular moment in time.

I'd go with this it fits they way things unfold.

I've also long thought they get the operating budget to cover costs/losses signed off and are allowed to use or create a little headroom in that and do what they want. i.e the likes of Downing.  Above and beyond that  for actual transfer fees they probably have to present their case to them individually as and when rather than drawing off an agreed set amount, wait an age to get the final answer, again probably having been told it'll be a yes hence lining players up only to be told no, hence missing out and looking a bit foolish.

Then of course probably get told at the last min somebodies coughed up some wonga but wants it investing in a certain player or type of player he can double his money on !

A lot of 'probablys' but this is Venky Rovers.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

Wasn't he the one who said the club was racist for sacking Paul Ince?

I believe that was Oliver Holt. That was one of the worst pieces of "journalism" I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
33 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

As I posted earlier. Another niggle apparently. His career with us really is:

Injury, 2-3 decent games, distinctly average form for 7-8 games, injury. 

Next N. Ireland match is 05/09 I think, so we can expect a spell of fitness and a couple of good performances around that time. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, DE. said:

I believe that was Oliver Holt. That was one of the worst pieces of "journalism" I've ever seen. 

Agreed. Failed to account for the fact we hired him in the first place ?

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Mike E said:

Agreed. Failed to account for the fact we hired him in the first place ?

And the most important fact - we were bloody rubbish under him, and on our way to the Championship! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

That model can work, however our dour old manager can't attract them with his brand of football or get the best out of them if they do come (palmer).  If I was a premier league manager like pep,  jurgen,  I'd want my lads playing a more vibrant brand of football etc with better players.  Villa made it work to an extent, derby were also decent

Palmer is just not a very good player. Mowbray tried his best by giving him plenty of chances to impress. Sadly, he never did, and has shown nothing since to suggest that he has untapped potential. I wish people would stop this narrative that Mowbray can’t get the best out of players like Palmer. Dack is playing his best ever football under Mowbray, Armstrong and rothwell also. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I believe that any free or loan deals can be concluded fairly quickly as long as the deal does not take the total club wage bill over a certain pre-defined level.

Deals that require transfer fees and cash up front are different and every one must be approved by Pune.  I believe an unnamed goalkeeper and Sam Gallagher were lined up a few weeks ago. Venky's decision was that they wouldn't fund both so Mowbary plumped for Gallagher. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, The Hypnotic said:

Palmer is just not a very good player. Mowbray tried his best by giving him plenty of chances to impress. Sadly, he never did, and has shown nothing since to suggest that he has untapped potential. I wish people would stop this narrative that Mowbray can’t get the best out of players like Palmer. Dack is playing his best ever football under Mowbray, Armstrong and rothwell also. 

I think Palmer is a decent Championship level player tbf, but he needs to be in a specific role - AMC - which we already had Dack in last season anyway. Palmer wasn't a loan we really needed, and we probably would have been better off loaning a proper wide player rather than trying to shoehorn Palmer into that position. 

• Like 3

Just now, DE. said:

I think Palmer is a decent Championship level player tbf, but he needs to be in a specific role - AMC - which we already had Dack in last season anyway. Palmer wasn't a loan we really needed, and we probably would have been better off loaning a proper wide player rather than trying to shoehorn Palmer into that position. 

He’s never had a decent season though. I agree he plays the same position as Dack, meaning that he never would have gotten much time unless he was incredible. Since he left us though he’s been average at best - 2 goals and 2 assists for Bristol city.

Our transfer policy does baffle me sometimes but it’s unfair to lay the failure of Kasey Palmer on our coach. 

12 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I believe that any free or loan deals can be concluded fairly quickly as long as the deal does not take the total club wage bill over a certain pre-defined level.

Deals that require transfer fees and cash up front are different and every one must be approved by Pune.  I believe an unnamed goalkeeper and Sam Gallagher were lined up a few weeks ago. Venky's decision was that they wouldn't fund both so Mowbary plumped for Gallagher. 

That arrangement makes complete sense to me given that, to fund an agreed salary budget, Pune will have set up how and when the money gets sent over to be to their best advantage (or least worst disadvantage.) Transfer fees mean they have to find the money and send over at very short notice, which may not suit them even if they are ok with the total fee.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OssyLad said:

So many negative people in this forum. No wonder I get put in sin bin. Lighten up!! ?

Well is it any wonder when you make sweeping comments like that when we finished last season in a lowly 15th position and have since had a very poor transfer window thus far in the eyes of most people.

You might as well say "Under Mowbray it'll be automatic promotion this season. pip Citeh to the Premier League next season then after that we'll round it off with a trio of Champions League successes".

It's about as likely as what you said and it comes across as irritating when you state you apparently expect us to improve by around 30 points next season when nothing has happened to support that scenario!

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 4

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Well is it any wonder when you make sweeping comments like that when we finished last season in a lowly 15th position and have since had a very poor transfer window thus far in the eyes of most people.

You might as well say "Under Mowbray it'll be automatic promotion this season. pip Citeh to the Premier League next season then after that we'll round it off with a trio of Champions League successes".

It's about as likely as what you said and it comes across as irritating when you state you apparently expect us to improve by around 30 points next season when nothing has happened to support that scenario!

Fake news. I would say on here it is about 50/50 and in other places even more optimism. 

Johnson will be a big player in the middle. Downing will bring some experience and excellent crossing ability, which we lacked. Rothwell and Travis will feature more from the beginning. Gallagher and Brereton should start adding goals to help Dack and Graham out. Dack will have a season at this level under his belt. New keeper looks to be an improvement on Raya. The lad from city to come and potentially a center half. Most importantly Damien Johnson in and around the first team will give a boost of energy and fresh ideas. 

If you look at the horrific run we went on last season and assume that the team learned from that, then there are a lot of points to be played for that we pissed away last season. 

14 extra points would have gotten us into the play offs. Not impossible to do at all. 

• Like 1