BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Backroom
Just now, Swanson said:

Mowbray was not planning to loan out Sam Hart :

“It’s frustrating for him, he’s been great in pre-season,” Mowbray of Hart’s injury.

“I told him that he wasn’t going back out on loan. I thought he was genuine competition for Amari’i Bell and Derrick Williams.

Worryingly suggests that, as I suspected, TM does not consider LB a priority and is happy with Bell/Williams in that position. I think this is going to be a very weak link for us in the coming season. It's possible that Bell will improve, and I hope he does, but Williams simply isn't good enough to play LB in a team that's genuinely aiming for the top six. He showed far more capability at CB in his brief appearances last season than he ever has at LB, imo.

• Like 2

Just now, Swanson said:

Mowbray was not planning to loan out Sam Hart :

“It’s frustrating for him, he’s been great in pre-season,” Mowbray of Hart’s injury.

“I told him that he wasn’t going back out on loan. I thought he was genuine competition for Amari’i Bell and Derrick Williams.

He didn't imply that in this article six days ago. He says he could go out on loan.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17781658.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-plans-left-back-sam-hart/

Just now, DE. said:

Worryingly suggests that, as I suspected, TM does not consider LB a priority and is happy with Bell/Williams in that position. I think this is going to be a very weak link for us in the coming season. It's possible that Bell will improve, and I hope he does, but Williams simply isn't good enough to play LB in a team that's genuinely aiming for the top six. He showed far more capability at CB in his brief appearances last season than he ever has at LB, imo.

Silver lining and all that he makes no mention of Downing as a left back. So we can put that one to bed

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Silver lining and all that he makes no mention of Downing as a left back. So we can put that one to bed

Lol, you haven’t been on a mowbray train of thought recently have you? This means nothing. What mowbray says and what mowbray does are two completely different things 

• Like 1

Just now, Roaming Rover said:

Playing devils advocate a little, but didn’t we have the 5th best defence in the league at home. Better than Norwich and Villa? 

Granted away it was very poor and needs addressing but is it really as bad as some are making out? 

Tin hat time :)

It is a really strange stat though when you think about it

Edited by FGS5635
  • Like 2

Mowbray has had a massive brain fart with his comments about our defence last season. Coming out and saying he would be signing defenders as our existing ones weren’t good enough has backed him into a corner. He thought Bauer was a done deal and it’s bitten him on the arse.

• Like 1

Playing devils advocate a little, but didn’t we have the 5th best defence in the league at home. Better than Norwich and Villa? 

Granted away it was very poor and needs addressing but is it really as bad as some are making out? 

Good God man, what have you done? 

Run, save yourself!!! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Offensively we are going to score plenty. Alas, that defence will be our downfall.

Style note:

"In attack" - British English please. 

Offensively is American. 

• Like 5

• Backroom

Defensively at home we were pretty good, but away from home we were literally the worst in the entire football league. It would suggest our defenders struggle to deal with pressure, particularly when teams are attacking us. You could make an argument that our tactics away are wrong, too, so it either requires an experienced head at the back to help manage games where we're under pressure, or a significant change in tactics to avoid inviting unnecessary pressure when we're on our travels. 

• Like 1

? I am currently sitting in my nuclear bunker as I type... 

is strange how it can be so extreme home and away...

Because at home we set out to negate the away team.  Often the away team will also try to negate us as well - Hence the number of 0-0 HT scores. 

Away we take the same approach but the home team will generally attack our porous defence and we find ourselves conceding and chasing a game.  

All ironic really because we are more likely to outscore a team with our attacking strength, than trying to nick a 1-0 through our defence.  

• Like 4

Mostly sit deep at home and invite the other side on looking to hit long balls to DG or counter but most teams look to do similar so less pressure to deal with.

Similar approach away means inviting constant pressure from bold teams and getting caught forwards countering usually looking to get back into a game.

This is why i've always felt a core style with 2 defensive mids is counter productive and even if it works in the middle it's pretty pointless forcing them wide when you can't stop or defend crosses well.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Style note:

"In attack" - British English please. 

Offensively is American. 

‘Offensively’ to note attacking prowess is perfectly acceptable, in contrast to ‘offense’, the opposite of ‘DEEfense’ as the Americans like to use, which certainly is not, thanks though.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, tomphil said:

Mostly sit deep at home and invite the other side on looking to hit long balls to DG or counter but most teams look to do similar so less pressure to deal with.

Similar approach away means inviting constant pressure from bold teams and getting caught forwards countering usually looking to get back into a game.

This is why i've always felt a core style with 2 defensive mids is counter productive and even if it works in the middle it's pretty pointless forcing them wide when you can stop or defend crosses well.

Ya, hopefully with better ballers in the middle than Richie and Evans we can actually get on the attack more and therefore push teams back home and away. Attack is the best form of defence as the fella says. 

I think it will come down to Mulgrew either improving drastically on last season and having a second wind/indian summer, or he won't and it will depend on how long it will take Mowbray to acknowledge/admit this. The issue is do we have a suitable replacement then...

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DE. said:

I don't think LB is a priority. If we get a CB who is good in the air and and can read the game, that would improve is tremendously. 

I also agree, Williams is terrible at LB, but a decent option as over at CB.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, hopefully with better ballers in the middle than Richie and Evans we can actually get on the attack more and therefore push teams back home and away. Attack is the best form of defence as the fella says. 

I think it will come down to Mulgrew either improving drastically on last seasona nd having a second wind/indian summer, or he won't and it will depend on how long it will take Mowbray to acknowledge/admit this. The issue is do we have a suitable replacement then...

I'd like to think that's the idea with Johnson and maybe Downing able to pick out good passes from the middle something we haven't had in years.  Travis obviously adds some dynamic to it being able to operate further up the pitch but i still think he'll favour the defensive approach first as part of that is too protect the paceless centre defence.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

He's using the club's facilities but he is not under contract.

I was under the impression we'd offered him some kind of deal but I hope you're right. No issue with the guy using our facilities but don't want him stealing a wage 

29 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He didn't imply that in this article six days ago. He says he could go out on loan.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17781658.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-plans-left-back-sam-hart/

Could. He probably impressed him enough in the next two games to have made him decide to keep him here.

• Like 1