BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Middlesbrough (H)

Just now, Tom Stinny said:

A crazy idea but do you think you could play Rothwell as a right sided wing back? He works hard up and down but has so much more ability than a Bennet and neither are actual defenders or think in a defensive way.

it's almost a case of have someone who can attack but can't defend or have someone who can't do either.

JRC is probably a better fit for that imo.

Cannot even begin to offer a line up Mowbray will pick.

I hope Lenihan is a bust up with Mowbray because another rumour I heard suggests it is a big problem with his knee.

Tosin being out as well will give us a back four of Bennett Nyambe Williams and Cunningham.

All in all expecting Keystone Cops from two very out of sorts teams.

• Backroom
Just now, philipl said:

I hope Lenihan is a bust up with Mowbray because another rumour I heard suggests it is a big problem with his knee.

If it is then we have to forget about Lenihan being a reliable option in the future. The lad has already had significant spells out with injury in the last two seasons, if it happens again this year then unfortunately it's going to be a case of looking for another centre back going forward.

Edited by DE.

M'boro have almost been as dire as Rovers in 2019.

Can't believe Gibson appointed Woodgate.

Two struggling sides suggests a draw.

However, if Mowbray picks the right side, I see a Rovers win by at least one goal.

Assuming Lenihan and Tosin injured, I'd go:

Walton / JRC, Nyambe,  Williams, Cunningham / Johnson, Travis / Downing, Dack, Rothwell / Graham 

That means we'd have Mowbray's £13 to £14million strikers (Armstrong, Brereton, Gallagher) on the bench and just shows, IMO, Mowbray's poor player judgement and inability to spend wisely.

Unfortunately, I think we will see Captain Bennett at right back and Gallagher out wide, again.                

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

If it is then we have to forget about Lenihan being a reliable option in the future. The lad has already had significant spells out with injury in the last two seasons, if it happens again this year then unfortunately it's going to be a case of looking for another centre back going forward.

Quite possibly the case. Regardless I think he's pretty injury prone and that should factor into decisions. 

All squads can take a couple of gambles on injury prone players, especially if they have quality - which Lenihen does, he's our best cb albeit not much of a compliment. But you can't perhaps rely on this as much as we do. Certainly running with only 3 CBs when one is injury prone is madness. Would still keep Lenihen in the squad/team though as the pros ourweigh the cons still imo. Besides 1 keeper (ideally 2) a lb, 2 CBs, Graham and Downing replacements before any transfers out that are forced is quite enough to do in one summer. 

Saw on twitter earlier that Boro have had the most shots on target in the league so far, with Rovers having the lowest.

Our centre back options have disappeared and Mowbray cannot set the team up to stop goals going in to save his life. 

1-2 defeat. Boro to score first, we equalise and Boro to go on and win it.

39 minutes ago, Stuart said:

This team picks itself at the moment I’d say...

08AD79ED-D12A-48C3-A98D-FFE4321005B9.jpeg

Realistically, he cannot leave 10 or 11 million quids worth on the bench, certainly in the championship.

Even if this was the correct decision, he just can’t.  In any walk of life Just imagine if it was you telling your boss, thanks for spending the money, it hasn’t worked so I am going back to what I had last year.

it ain’t going to happen.

Just now, 4000Holes said:

Realistically, he cannot leave 10 or 11 million quids worth on the bench, certainly in the championship.

Even if this was the correct decision, he just can’t.  In any walk of life Just imagine if it was you telling your boss, thanks for spending the money, it hasn’t worked so I am going back to what I had last year.

Why gallagher should not of been purchased. Especially for 5 million. Really really bad bit of business that. Rrally hope he bags this weekend to kick start his season and prove me wrong.

Tombola will be spinning around for this one good style and god knows what will get drawn out. Maybe this is another of those for the 'seniors' to take in hand ?  Except the leader has gone ?

So all eyes on the manager to come up with a winning formula, tough game at the best of times.  Usual dire first half trying to keep the ball and probably go a goal behind before a rousing second half in front of an angry Blackburn end.

Rovers 1  Boro  1

Just now, tomphil said:

Tombola will be spinning around for this one good style and god knows what will get drawn out. Maybe this is another of those for the 'seniors' to take in hand ?  Except the leader has gone ?

So all eyes on the manager to come up with a winning formula, tough game at the best of times.  Usual dire first half trying to keep the ball and probably go a goal behind before a rousing second half in front of an angry Blackburn end.

Rovers 1  Boro  1

He’s often changed things when the pressure seems to be building. This may be a game in which we see a few more round pegs in round holes.

Edited by Mattyblue

He should but he won't.

As others have mentioned and as was proven last night, our most effective tactics are to have Graham and Dack on the field.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

He’s often changed things when he feels under pressure. This may be a game in which we see a few more round pegs in round holes.

I'll be honest i'd say sod the opposition and go 442 with two banks of 4 and two putting a real shift in up front first half. We usually start on the backfoot and seem in two minds whether to attack or sit back so might as well kill it off first half keep it tight and hope to pinch something then open it up in the second.

Tin hat on - Even if that means benching Dack till the second half i know he scored the other night but he disapears too often these days for my liking in the bread and butter games.

He needs three points.

Surely at this point, he must know that Brereton and Gallagher on the field, with Graham and Rothwell on the bench is not going to deliver that?

It’s bad enough we have to play Walton in goal and our alternative is Leutwiler!

2 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

7 million of it will certainly be left on the bench for the foreseeable.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, tomphil said:

I'll be honest i'd say sod the opposition and go 442 with two banks of 4 and two putting a real shift in up front first half. We usually start on the backfoot and seem in two minds whether to attack or sit back so might as well kill it off first half keep it tight and hope to pinch something then open it up in the second.

Tin hat on - Even if that means benching Dack till the second half i know he scored the other night but he disapears too often these days for my liking in the bread and butter games.

Sooner or later something has to change.

Either tactically or the bloke in the dugout.

If he really wants us to move on from hitting it long to DG and with his favourite inside forwards formation being complete bollox, he's going to need a plan C. 

4-4-2 might not work for Dack but it could benefit others like Gallagher and Armstrong. 

That formation seems pretty dead in the upper echelons of football these days though.

Just now, davulsukur said:

Sooner or later something has to change.

Either tactically or the bloke in the dugout.

If he really wants us to move on from hitting it long to DG and with his favourite inside forwards formation being complete bollox, he's going to need a plan C. 

4-4-2 might not work for Dack but it could benefit others like Gallagher and Armstrong. 

That formation seems pretty dead in the upper echelons of football these days though.

True it does but it's probably the one that suits the players in this squad he's assembled best. I was think of it more as a defensive formation playing quite deep and looking for the strikers to chase down. There'd be no wingers of course but the new captain fantastic could be used to shore up the right wing with an actual right back at right back and the new left back in instead of pet pooch Bell.   All about protecting the defence in this one plenty scope to liven it up second half then.

I feel TM often plays the formations he does just to cater for what the opposition are doing but it rarely works so get back to basics, result over performance.

Edited by tomphil

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

This team picks itself at the moment I’d say...

08AD79ED-D12A-48C3-A98D-FFE4321005B9.jpeg

Just look at the state of that defence!

Possibly the worst since the days of Peacock and Daily. 

How has it come to this after a summer transfer window preceded by “defenders are coming “!!!??

Just now, OJRovers said:

Just look at the state of that defence!

Possibly the worst since the days of Peacock and Daily. 

How has it come to this after a summer transfer window preceded by “defenders are coming “!!!??

What did we have around 2000?

Harkness - Dailly - Peacock - Grayson 

And I thought that was a nadir...

4 . 4 .2 sorry for keep going on, but Middlesbrough  are there for the taking  Walton in goal  its going to be Bennett  Tosin if fit .Williams .Cunningham Rothwell . Travis . And for me personally  Chapman because  he's  more pace and he can cover more ground . Dack has too link midfield  and Graham together  and i want too see Rothwell and Chapman helping out at the back has well as going forward . Who remembers Kenny shouting get back in to Wilcox. But stop crosses  and  theres always a chance  . Come on Rovers  please when your put your team down  i like to read your reason its not a dig its interesting and everyone  has a opinion