BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ruben Rochina

Tom

Should we have kept him?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question, simple answers - should we have kept Ruben?

• Yes
    • No

Because most fans have already made their mind up about him. It's the typical English mentality. Ruben's foreign, bit of a ball-hogger and a little cocksure of himself, therefore he's never going to get the same breaks that he would if he was local, runs around a lot but can't do eff all with the ball at his feet.

He started against Derby, and did well (despite roversfan99's myopic protestations) before injury struck. Then he played against Birmingham, and again the fans were quick to heap criticism on him because he didn't set their world alight. Despite the fact he'd only just returned from a serious layoff and wasn't match-fit. Unfortunately, there's always going to be that prejudice against him if or when he ever plays again, because his critics are so deeply entrenched in their cynicism that they need validating.

Most fans made up their minds by watching his inept performances on a regular basis throughout his time here. He had a decent game against derby until he was carried off granted, but was that more about Cloughs tactics on the day or Rochina being a world beater......

I know you're a big fan toppers but come on, he's been rubbish in a Rovers shirt when he's played in the main. Whilst I don't think we've had the best people managing the club, they all thought he wasn't good enough either and they see him day in day out.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Majority of times he started Ewood last season he was pap, utter pap (Barnsley, Wolves, Millwall, Bolton). I mean subbed after an hour kind of pap. Technically he's very good (that being said I've probably seen him row Z them than hit the target) but mentally he's nowhere near. If there was even a modicum of that side of his game matching up to the rest then surely he would have been able to turn it on against Barnsley at home?

Now I've not seen him play for Rayo this season so I can't claim to say how well he is doing, hopefully he is doing well. I think he played most games for Zaragoza on loan last season and we didn't really get to see the benefit of that due to injury. I can only say what I see and so far it's not been good enough. For what it's worth though I would like to see him back for one last chance (my head says no but my heart says yes) as it's only the last year of his contract I believe so I don't think we would get much of a fee for him anyway. Plus a player with his undoubted technique shouldn't be discarded too easily.

Unfortunately for Ruben it takes more than technique to be a successful footballer.

Guest Norbert

He probably just can't handle living outside Spain, and plays well when he feels at home. Some people are just like that, and hate living in another country.

Guest Norbert

From what I saw on TV, he looked like he was having a pretty good game linking up with Rhodes and the midfield. Best came on, and looked awkward for the defence, but incapable of finishing many of his chances.

But did finish a chance, whereas Rochina wasted many.

Anyway, Rhodes and Gestede will correctly be our front 2 and Rochina doesn't want to be back-up, so we are left with little option.

Also he's been subbed off before half time tonight apparently.

Guest Norbert

True. Best just seemed to win the header, but not guide it to any Rovers player, and be a bit lacking in skill.

No, because Marrow gave away a stupid penalty.

With Rochina, Rovers were on top and had Derby on the backfoot.

Best comes on and Derby force their way into the game, leading to Marrow's penalty gift.

Stop being obtuse.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's ok scoring a goal like that in the beautiful surroundings of San Sebastian, but could RR do it from further out whilst slipping on his arse on a dreary afternoon in a shytehole like Preston?

Ruben Rochina = a poncey-haired, less-talented Jermaine Beckford.

Word.

Archived