BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Parkes Sacked By Hughes !

Craigman

Just in on Sky!!

Hughes wants the link between the academy and first team to be better than it is.

Don't think anyone can deny that's good news!

Sad to see TP go but we can't just pay him money for nothing. It's life, we had to let an old boy go at work this week who'd worked here all his life, same scenario.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've felt for sometime that we are are not making the use of our acadamy. In recent weeks young players from Southampton, Everton, Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool to name a few, have been making steps into the first team. We don't seem to have many players making the step up. Jay has featured in recent weeks and Douglas a little last season but surely qwith an acadamy of rovers calibre we should be seeing a lot more coming through.

I am dissapointed to see Tony go as he has been an excellent servent to the club. The only care taker manager to take the helm 6 times at the same club, that's a hell of a record.

Hughes wants the link between the academy and first team to be better than it is.

We have an excellent academy and it is not being utilised.

'Steady Eddies' idea probably.

At arsenal its set up so that all the teams play with the same mentality and the same way. That way if someone is injured they can bring someone in who will fit in straight away. Just looking at the kids in the cup tells you its working there.

We have a top class academy and if it means in order to use it to its full potential that Parkes has to go, then fair enough he has to go.

To me it sounds like a good move by hughes. Well done for having the bottle to do it.

It was almost inevitable that he would leave at some stage.

Almost?!

Does that mean there was a slim chance that he could have been there for all perpetuity?

Maybe if he wasn't immortal they'd have put him in a giant jar, filled it with aspic and kept him in the boardroom.

laugh.gif

Edited by Bryan

John Williams was meant to tell Parkes this morning.

Mark Hughes said today he is sad at the way the situation has been handled.

Williams does not have to do much to justify his overinflated salary but you would have thought he might get right the sacking of the club's long-serving senior employee.

You have to admire Hughes for making a difficult decision - beneath that quietly-spoken exterior there really does appear to be a man of steel. Parkes's shock departure may also have made the players realise that the manager is not a man with whom they can mess around.

I think whats happened is that Hughes decided that he wants a coach who can develop young players controlling the reserves. The thought of re-structuring has come about through Kelly's departure to Leicester.

The board meeting took place on Tuesday when Hughes revealed his plans. The board have since been looknig for an alternative position for Parkes at academy level but nothing is available.

News broke unexpectedly overnight in the press as Williams was due to tell Parkes this morning.

After recovering from the shock 3 reactions

- most supporters will ALWAYS have known TP at the club.

- Tony was here when we were at our very lowest(signed by

Ken Furphy and the man who covered for really crap left-fullbacks until Basil arrived)

- First President of Rossendale Blues when lottery sales were absolutely vital

I will remember him as a really genuine guy and hope he and his family remain Rovers Supporters.That will be the acid test if we have really hacked him off.

Anyway he's not dead ... so get on with life Tony.I have had 8 employers in the time you've only had ONE!

Undoubtedly Tony Parkes has been a great servant to this club and deserves all the praise and thanks that he receives.

However I can't help but feel that this is the right decision at the right time, and shows that our new manager is looking to the future and is not afraid to make difficult decisions. I know that we have brought a few players through the youth system but it has long been a concern of mine (since Souness came really) that there is a lack of continuity between the Academy and senior set up. The fact that steps are being taken to rectify this can only be good for the future of the club.

Thanks TP.

At first I was very surprised by this, but on reflection I guess that Sparky wants to be in control of every level of the club and bring in new ideas throughout - it might be some time before we see the benefits but you've got to start on that omlette sometime.

Tony Parkes will probably get early retirement if he wants it, as 30 years deserves it. "Sacking" is paper wording for me, I'd prefer to say let go, yes it means the same but sacking implies that he's done something wrong, as as all Rovers fans know; he hasn't. Hughes came in with his own agenda, brought his own men in and if this board is to be true he has another of his men on board to take Parkes place. Hughes needs to impose his own system on the club and this cuts the final string of the Souness era, and many others.

Many of us, including me, feel for Parkes as I thought he was a good man and a real Rovers legend, but in our perilous position we need the boss to act like he has hunger and the necessary balls to try things. I think this has proved it.

Al's scandalous comment about Hughes being harder to sack now is just plain stupid. Progression and staff turnover is sometimes needed to give people a jolt. How do you think the players feel? A loyal 30 year player/coach/caretaker gets the boot, what could happen to me on my 3 year contract? Hopefully it will have the desired effect and make them try harder.

Hughes has a lot in common with Souness.

He is a winner, ambitous and aggressive as a person. However as we saw on the pitch he can control himself in his actions(apart from a few times). I feel the decisions he makes are balanced and measured. He recognises that we have one of the best academies in Europe and he wants to get more out of it. Also think Eddie N would of had some input on this from his background.

Remember Henry Winter saying prior to Hughes taking the job here that he is regarded as a very intelligent man and whichever club gets him will benefit.

rover.gif first off all i would like to thank tony parkes for his 34 years service at ewood,i can remenber him as a player who always gave 100% i think he was signed from matlock or another non-league team from the derbyshire/yorks area.

as a coach and caretaker manager,he excelled at steadying the ship after rough waters.

but and its a big BUT,in the neil danns thread i mentioned about talking to a senior member of staff,about tiny taylor when he was on loan at darlington,they had a match that was televised and tony parkes who was then caretaker manager at ewood was that man,i as a fan watched the game as tiny was playing our manager at the time could not be bothered,said it all to me.

well done sparky for making a decesion that will lose you more friends,it shows the man has BOTTLE.

finally how can you decide to sack someone on tuesday,then not tell them till 3 days later.heads should roll for that insult to a great roverite,who is the mole,are the news of the world and the sun from the same organisation,because at the time dagliesh was appointed and in charge the news of the world had all the rovers scoops,find the mole and sack him,or her tinykit.gif

finally how can you decide to sack someone on tuesday,then not tell them till 3 days later.heads should roll for that insult to a great roverite,who is the mole,.............find the mole and sack him,or her tinykit.gif

Well said waggy. Spot on. Amateurish is the word that springs to mind.

Saddening news, especially the manner in that it was handled.

Will always be remembered as a worthy servant of the club and I hope he still come to Ewood as a fan.

Always sad to see someone like that go, especially somewhat unexpectedly.

Agree that the leak should be punished if found.

Thanks for your years Tony. Legend.

John Williams was meant to tell Parkes this morning.

Mark Hughes said today he is sad at the way the situation has been handled.

Williams does not have to do much to justify his overinflated salary but you would have thought he might get right the sacking of the club's long-serving senior employee.

Did Williams himself ring up the Sun and tell them? You can be such a bonehead jim. With some of the past garbage press "scoops" it is almost like there is a snitch in the camp. jim, where were you yesterday evening, do you have any inside knowledge of listening devices and their operations.

I don't beleive for one minute it was anyones intentions for the club to have Parkes find out that way.

Listen, I watched Dream Team so I know people at Football clubs tip off the press for money.

jim, you a little flush this week by any chance?

Given that Hughes would have got to know Tony and his work very well from his playing days at Ewood, it's not a sudden decision to want him out.

Reports on BBC Five Live suggest Glyn Hodges, Wales' under-21 manager, is his replacement.

Got to be a good thing. Parkes usefulness always seemed to me to be in his neutrality and ability to steady a rocking boat.

Good qualities in a crisis, but perhaps he just isn't forward thinking enough for Hughes who, it seems, has determined to make Rovers as up-to-date as he can.

Nevertheless, much respect to Parkes for everything.

I thought he'd already had a testimonial? Can't remember when, though.

If the club treat loyal staff like this, what chance is there for the supporters.

I shall expect a decent pay-off if they don't want me to come anymore! smile.gif

I feel this is both a good and bad day. It's very sad to see Tony Parkes leaving, but then he's still a young man and i doubt he'll have to work again. Once he has recovered from the shock he will look forward to a long and well-earned retirement. Thanks for everything Tony, there will always be a place for you at Ewood.

On the other hand I've long wondered when we are going to see the real benefits of the Acadaemy which is costing the club £2m per annum. If Hughes feels this is the way to ensure a good progression from youth to first team then we as the fans should be backing the move.

While it's very unfortunate Tony found out via The Rag this is modern football. We have to watch and read everything in this way. It's sickening but that's how it is and it won't change.

finally how can you decide to sack someone on tuesday,then not tell them till 3 days later.heads should roll for that insult to a great roverite,who is the mole,are the news of the world and the sun from the same organisation,because at the time dagliesh was appointed and in charge the news of the world had all the rovers scoops,find the mole and sack him,or her tinykit.gif

Waggy, ever been in Management? It happens all the time. Often decisions to release people are made well ahead of time. Paperwork, insurance issues and severance packages are worked up and then the employee is notified, it's quite common place. To add, sometimes with longer serving people the things can take time.

I have no doubt at all that Sparky and Williams had the conversation and the decision to fire Parkes was agreed sometime ago. Sparky would have had to make his case to let Tony go to Williams, it's not like he could have just called in TP and said oh Tony you're fired.

Contacts would have been made with the prospective replacement to see if he would even consider coming to our great club. It would look even worse if we had fired Parkes and his replacement told us to bugger off.

No I have no problems of how it was handled, I am sure all efforts toward keeping things on a professional basis were employed, it's just unfortunate that somehow the story got out.

I support this decision 100%, no disrespect to Tony but I am surprised he was allowed to hang around as long as he did.

And as to the question of "if this is how the club treat loyal servants" have we all forgotten this man was treated to a very very decent Salary, it's not like the man did it for free.

Edited by USABlue

Goodbye Tony, you will be sorely missed Mr. Reliable.

Blackburn Rovers will be poorer without you.

Sacking a man after 30 years wonderful service is nothing short of disgraceful.

Shame on you Mark Hughes! This, in my opinion, is a thinly diguised attempt to make you more difficult to sack. At least Souness did not stoop to these depths.

shame on him for making a difficult decision? for wanting to run the club his way?

dont talk out your arse.

as repeated in posts further up, keeping him on simply because he is Tony Parkes is not the way to go.

About time we had a change

A typical response from you Dan. When it comes to principles you always show that you have none.

You always talk through your arse with the inevitable effect in what comes out.

Incidentally Speeedie my comment about Hughes being harder to sack is perfectly valid no matter what weasle words you may say about it.

There is always a place for a man with 35 years of experience and loyalty. This is a sad day for the integrity of Blackburn Rovers and their manager.

The word cronyism comes to mind.

Edited by Al

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.