BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Parkes Sacked By Hughes !

Craigman

Tony has been offered a testamonial match and has accepted (Official Site).

The very least they could do after treating him so shoddily.

I hope they arrange an attractive match. Better than that farce that was supposed to be the Premiership winning team.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read every message here - but has anybody considered whether the leak (no pun intended*) came from the Welsh FA or Glyn Hodges himself. Hughes has obviously spoken to both parties in advance and they clearly wouldn't worry too much about the moral implications.

Despite that, the club have handled this like a sunday league side - Hughes should have made everyone aware that the remaining staff were under review and the likely outcomes. Tony's shocked response seems to show that this hadn't happened. Amateurish.

* Well, maybe slightly.

Edited by UbuRoi

I don't usually attend testimonials, I would certainly attend one for TP as it kind of emphasises the whole point of what one should be. Reward years of loyal service and all that. I would hope that we could get at least 10k seeing as so many have come on to slam the club/Hughes/JW about it.

I actually agree with the decision but like others am appalled at the way it was carried out. I lost some of my respect for TP when him and Boersma teamed up for a remake of Dumb & Dumber. They would sit on the bench saying nothing until Souness came down and then promptly jump up and start screaming as if they had been doing it all along. It was then that I felt he was simply coasting like the rest of Souness' hangers on.

If Hughes wants his own team then that's fair enough and I think it would be an insult to TP at this stage to offer him the job of teaboy of something. He clearly feels he still has a role to play so hopefully he'll find one.

I'll always have mostly fond memories of Tony including my first away trip on my own ( I mean without parents rather than billy no mates) to Sunderland. Got crushed when we arrived late just as Speedie scored. Couldn't breathe, couldn't move either but it was fantastice and I was hooked ever since.

A final comment on Tony was that whenever you said anything to him, or asked him a question he always answered you and usually very politely. A true gentleman.

Another nail in the coffin for our once decent club. The handling of his departure couldn't have been much more badly done. After the fiasco of the sale of the club shop and the apparent double standards of stewarding, the last thing Rovers needed was another way to wind up fans.

Even those who think it's a good move to retire Tony will be dismayed at the monumental cock-up in the way events have transpired.

Cheers Tony, all the best for the future and don't let the buzzards get you down.

I also can't help but feel that Mark Hughes is the cure for that virus.  I for one am excited, we needed fresh ideas a new approach from the ground up.

Tear 'em up Sparky give us back a team to be proud of.

Is this the same Mark Hughes that you slagged off mercilessly when he was appointed manager?

Absolutely it is, though your statement of "slagged off mercilessly" is a gross exaggeration. Yes, I think everyone here knows my stand on Hughes appointment, it was before he was appointed actually, I was against it. I did however say that, unlike some folks in the past, I would give him full support and hope he proves me wrong, from what I have seen so far he is doing that. I did not think he had the credentials to take this club by the scruff of the neck. I stated at the time we needed someone who could rebuild this club I doubted Hughes ability to do that, its all in here for people to see so I don't need to go on and on.

The difference between me and some is I will support Hughes, many others here once they have formed an opinion on someone then look for every little thing to justify their opinion, ignoring anything that goes against their opinion. Me I am open I said what I said and was of that opinion but it is turning around, and I like it.

I also don't fault the club for how it turned out, anyone who really beleives it was BRFC's intention for it to turn out this way is mad, the others? well some folks just can't pass up a chance to have a pop at the club.

Parkesy has been here many years yes, but why? I used to watch him play, nowt special, he saved us one year, big deal. Remember this is the same Parkes that would not play Mr Dunn. The same Mr Dunn that Souness did play yet got his pee pee smacked when he let him go. As Bryan so eloquently put it, we just fired the reserve team coach.

I have deep seated feeling that Parkes was a distraction to any new boss, divided loyaltys and all that, this sends a clear message to ALL the staff at BRFC that a new era has begun, one where you perform or you are done, regardless of who you are, no resting on Laurels. Take out the human element and think of the club, this is for the best.

Come on you Blues.

rover.gif a testimonial match is a very bad idea,if the match is attended by more than 5k it will be a minor miracle,the board should make it public the severance pay tp will recieve tinykit.gif

Absolute poppycock,

There are enough people who are disgusted by the way TP was dumped to get at least 10k into the ground, especially if a decent match is arranged.

What about Rangers?

We are in the sh!t because the players are a bunch of idle ###### who don't deserve to be at Ewood. Pure simple fact. Don't blame the board for anything other than backing Souness with the cash to buy them.

Think I'll take my STs back tomorrow as I just can't take anymore. Anyone want three tickets for City?

Calm down Paul, don't do anything drastic. The idle (whatever you called them) will have their ideas changed or they too will be gone. Try to get over it and go enjoy your day in Manchester smile.gif

rover.gif a testimonial match is a very bad idea,if the match is attended by more than 5k it will be a minor miracle,the board should make it public the severance pay tp will recieve tinykit.gif

Unfortunately Waggles you pay a great disservice to the strength of feeling the Blackburn fans have towards Tony with those comments.

I'm sure whoever Rovers arrange to play it will be well supported.

I have said for some time that we are not making full use of the magnificent Academy facility therefore I support the sentiment behind the decision to strengthen the links between the academy and first team.

However the treatment of Tony Parkes has been an absolute disgrace. I thought yesterday when there were huge pink LET billboards round town screaming "Parkes sacked" that he deserved a much more dignified deparure than this and that his departure could have been presented on a mutually agreed basis.

The actual story was actually even worse. The decision was made on TUESDAY, yet no-one could be bothered to tell him until the news leaked out in the press on FRIDAY morning? huh.gifhuh.gif

TP found out about it from his daughter who heard/saw it on the news and then had to ring JW, the club still hadn't had the decency to make contact with him.

A very brave decision from Hughes, even King Kenny didn't dare pot "Mr. Blackburn Rovers" At least we now can be under no illusions, the phrase "job for life" obviously only applies to Chairmen, Board members and overpaid chief executives.

Thanks for the 35 years of service Tony. You have done far more for the Club than the people responsible for cocking up this situation ever will. rover.gif

Unfortunately Waggles you pay a great disservice to the strength of feeling the Blackburn fans have towards Tony with those comments.

I'm sure whoever Rovers arrange to play it will be well supported.

rover.gif i'm hope i'm wrong but anythink over 5k would suprise me tremendously as we can only muster 17-19k for premiership games,i attended parkes 1st testimonial i doubt if i would bother with a 2nd.

ps my niece told me the ball boys have all been sacked too tinykit.gif

Take out the human element and think of the club, this is for the best.

Come on you Blues.

What made this club different was that there was once a human element - and TP epitomised it . I see very little of the human element present in JW . A board meeting on Tuesday that decided Parkes' fate and he still hadn't mentioned it by Friday ? What kind of self respecting Chief Executive (or manager come to that )wouldn't think about the possibility of there being a leak in that time ?

Williams has apparently promised to speak to Radio Lancs after today's game . Let's hope he doesn't forget .

a sad day indeed for Blackburn Rovers & it`s long suffering fans.

It just goes to show that loyalty is no longer valued in football in any way shape or form.

Tony Parkes if for some reason you happen to read this, then remember that Blackburn Rovers fans where-ever in the world will always appreciate what you have done for this football club & you will always be held in the highest of regards. Good luck in what-ever you do in the future.

forever a rover!! tinykit.gif

Guest Roverpug

I think it's an absoloute disgrace that TP has been sacked, and in such a hideous way. He always had to show his face when we were such an embarassment that Souey or whoever couldn't face the press. He has been shoved around and disposed of with the appearance of every new manager, and shown no repsect. Yet, of course expected to pick up the pieces when it inevitably turns to s***. As it always does. If Hughes had anything to do with it, then he has lost my respect. It's very hard to be a Rovers supporter at the moment. mad.gif

Thanks to Tony Parkes for his great service to the club. The way his dismissal was handled was a very bad error by the club, but I am sure Mr. Parkes will remain true to his character, by handling it with diginity. I really hope that there is no *revealing* news story as some are intimating.

What a horrible way for Tony to find out he had lost his job!!

He has always been there for the club when needed and if nothing else could have been found for him, he at least deserved some respect when being dismissed shame on you "Blackburn Rovers board" mad.gif

Just heard John Williams say on Radio Lancs that their will be NO internal investigation into who is responsible for the info leak to the press!!!

What a fookin joke.....as if the club needed anymore embarrassment mad.gif

I must say there's a hell of a lot of over-reaction by supporters on the phone in,wish people would think before opening their mouths...our own fans wishing relegation on the club for what has happened is bloody ridiculous mad.gif

YOU STUPID,STUPID PEOPLE.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Rum do this.

Listening to Radio Lancs feelings are runing high and the (elderly) natives are definitely restless. Obviously there has been a major cock-up regarding the announcement and the timing of it, and this needs to be investigated (and maybe resolved with another sacking ohmy.gif if necessary). BUT has TP been doing voluntary service at Ewood? Has he hell! He's had a cracking 34 years at Ewood, has earned far more than any of his contempories from the same era, and he will receive one hell of a severance package in compensation.

So whats been done is now history, lets not bother too much and lets get on with more important things........ like prem survival.

[BLACKBURN ROVERS in the Premier league, financially OK

Of the 26 clubs relegated from the PL in the last ten years only 5 are FINANCIALLY SOUND and in the PL. Only 3 are doing better than Rovers. John Williams and the entire board should be sacked. They are clearly all bloody useless and have no idea whatsoever how to run a football club. As for appointing Mark Hughes as manager, well only 85% of this MB thought it was a good idea so there's another fine mess they've made of it.

Yes Tony Parkes has been treated badly. Yes mistakes were made but the club goes on. When will we ever stop moaning? The only thing available for criticism is the bloody board/stewards/police so lets all have a go at them. If Hughes had been here a year you could have a go at him

We are in the sh!t because the players are a bunch of idle ###### who don't deserve to be at Ewood. Pure simple fact. Don't blame the board for anything other than backing Souness with the cash to buy them.

Think I'll take my STs back tomorrow as I just can't take anymore. Anyone want three tickets for City?

This was intended to be heavily laced with sarcasm and to point out how WELL our club is run. I get the feeling not everyone got my point. huh.gif

I have it on very good authority at least one manager attempted to remove Tony some years ago. Perhaps others did too? Who knows?

The most interesting question is what has changed to mean the board where prepared to let him go? I can only imagine Hughes has put forward a very strong case for change

The most interesting question is what has changed to mean the board where prepared to let him go? I can only imagine Hughes has put forward a very strong case for change

From what I have heard about the situation, as sad as it is, I am inclined to believe what Hughes said about there no longer being a suitable role for Parkes at the club. The club has been loyal to players and staff in the past, but unfortunately we need to run as a business now and that involves removing unnecessary costs.

Please don't take that the wrong way, because I'd love to see Parkes remain involved in any way. I think the fact that he has been involved with the senior team for such a long time makes it difficult to offer him another position within the club, especially away from the playing side. Plus he may have seen it as more of an insult to offer him something less 'important' to the club.

I am furious about how the story came out and I hope JW has some answers for the Fans Forum on Monday regarding that.

As strong a case as Souness made for spending 7 mill on Grabbi , perhaps ? Williams sanctioned that balls up as well . For a man doing so well , why do we have more than a fair chance of joining the likes of Forest , Bradford , Coventry et al - none of whom have a trust fund to rely on ?

As Theno pointed out there seems to be a generational split in attitudes to this sacking - let's forget about the "presentational" aspect for now . Put me in the old fogies section of those who will always hold this against JW and the board . God help us support wise if we go down....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.