BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Parkes Sacked By Hughes !

Craigman

Reading the LET last night it really did hit home how THICK some people are who follow our club. People bleating on about how disloyal the club have been to TP, FFS how many other football clubs can you think of that have kept on a member of staff for 34 years. Mark Hughes has not made a hasty ill-thought out decision as some would have us believe, he worked with the man for a couple of years whilst he was a player here. He knows exactly what capabilities Parkes has to offer. Of course the way the news broke was not good, but from the tone of the letters in last night's LET it seems people actually think the club wanted it to happen that way... it makes you want to weep. Good luck for the future Tony, at least you seem to accept that the timing was a genuine mistake.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After having calmed down a lot after the news that TP was fired, I fear that the apology to Tony was sadly to little to late. What an honourable and diginified man Mr Parkes is, not even slagging the lub off when lets face it, who would blame him?

I hope he enjoys early retirement, and we see him down at Ewood for seasons to come as a supporter. My opinion on JW hasn't changed and he is a man ho simply thinks he is "bigger then the club".

THERE'S ONLY ONE TONY PARKES.

Sing it loud and Proud on Sunday.

THERE'S ONLY ONE TONY PARKES.

Sing it loud and Proud on Sunday.

Stupid comment. Parkes has gone, it was a mess how it came out but he's still gone. For fans to chant his name at the game would be a disservice to Mark Hughes and the players. It's his team now, Hughes has to get us away from the relegation zone. What message will singing about our ex-coach send?

I'm sure Tony Parkes got a good severance package, and I think I read that they are trying for a testimonial for him - that would be a good way to show your appreciation for him, by going there and acknowledging his service. Bringing up a sore point when the players are trying to kickstart the ascent up the table is plain idiotic. Getting relegated is far far worse than firing Tony Parkes, we need unity and to completely support our team. Yes, sing, but don't sing about a former member of staff.

old on a mo Mrs J

the apologies in the media will be delayed, its called deadlines, headlines and dross (newspaper talk for journo scumbbags - yes jim you included ! laugh.gif ) I am pretty certain that Rovers will have spoken to TP as soon as they realised the leak was open.

I agree the scenario is totally out of order, unprofessional and a disgraceful way to treat an emplyee in any walk of life.

We all have our own appreciations of TP and can show it all when his testimonial details are known.

All the best Tony but come on...we're still Rovers 'till we die right?

Really ? How many of us will truly be walking down to Ewood when we're in our 60's and 70's (God willing) ? I'd suggest it will be very , very few of us , a tiny percentage - and it's down to "professionalism" and "business" decisions like this that have an acumulative effect on the punters.

I'm only in my early 40's but if I weren't taking my 2 lads with me , then this could very well have been the final straw . It was so bloody unnecessary . Hughes could have rendered Parkes' position at the club to virtually nothing whilst still keeping him there in some capacity .

Those who say it was just bad PR are missing the point . USA Blue - and presumably those who voted for "undecided" in the poll - seem to suggest that if results improve we'll all be happy with the sacking . Well that's not true for many of us ; this will leave a bad taste in the mouth for years to come , regardless . Williams has no credibility left for me .

And if results don't improve then I dread to think of the implications for next year's season ticket sales . A big gamble for Hughes and Williams - and a needlessly stupid one .

While I think Tony Parkes is and very well should be an Ewood Legend, I think that him leaving was always something that was going to come up some day. It's just Mark Hughes happened to be the person who did it.

However the 'leak' of his departure was truly pathetic, and a terrible way to treat someone with Tony Parkes history with the club. And like some members have said, it's just so unprofessional and if he's thought that little of, then how are the rest of the staff (inc playing staff) treated? Like cattle?

It's not Hughes fault though. Yes he made the decision, but he didn't decide how the decision was going to be made public. So chanting 'only one Tony Parkes' will be sending some echoes of discontent, which may have an effect on the players - and at the moment we need to stay in the premiership. If there's one thing to gain from this, it's that Hughes obviously isn't keen on 'hangers on' (though I hope that's not how Parkes will be ultimately seen) BUT if this is the way forward then hopefully they'll get rid of all the other hangers on, and those that don't seem to ever do their jobs properly.

And perhaps then there will be some professionalism to the set-up at Ewood Park.

I can't believe the reaction to this. Can anybody tell me what positive effect TP had on the performances of the team since his spell in charge after Ray Harford left. I can't

In his spell after Brian Kidd he struggled to find a place in the team for Duff, Dunn and Jansen every week.

It is easy to be a loyal employee after he has been treated so well for 35 years, does anybody know if he has turned down other clubs for us. I am not aware of any.

He has been a great servant, but he has also been well rewarded.

After seeing the performances of the last 3 games, I am more positive than I have been since early last season. Mark Hughes still need to prove himself, we will see more when he starts to buy players. But, there is a lot of positives in the first couple of months of his reign, long may it continue.

The main mistake with the sacking was being a bit naive in thinking it would be kept quiet for two days if it was discussed at the board. There was no easy way of sacking tony parkes, the words mutual consent, voluntary retirement does not make it easier.

I sure tony parkes, can't believe the fuss everybody is making.

Hughesy! Hughesy!

Another thought is that if Rovers were a plc the chief executive would have probably have lost his job over this. Poor PR or not, the buck stops at the top. Williams out.

Oh God! Here we go again. dry.gif Scapegoat number eleventeen coming up.

Or is it just me that thinks that this will not be Jims last word on the subject? sad.gif

Edited by thenodrog

Everyone has the right to withdraw their support and I would have done had I not already paid for my season ticket.

I therefore now am committed to a cooling off period after which I will have to make a decision between Rovers and Stanley.

My first reaction is to support Stanley until Hughes is replaced.

The sacking of Parkes is disgraceful and is apparently down to Hughes.

Shut the door on your way out.

This whole problem basically comes down to communication and Rovers lack a competent individual(s) to carry out the task of dealing with the media and the fans.

The shame is this very, very simple job is done so badly. It only requires people to study the truth, to know who can and who cannot be trusted with information and then to publish the real story, not some sanitised version of the issue, If one explains matters in simple English we know where we stand.

On the other hand if you use journalists or provide them with information you will never get a simple, true account of anything.

As for those wringing their hands in the LET and elsewhere? Currently we cannot complain about the team and the manager for obvious reasons so that leaves us with:

JW

Standing/Stewards/Police

The Board

The Caterers

Away tickets

I doubt many of those wailing in the LET have been to Ewood in years. It's another over-reaction from a Blackburn public who do not want to support the club as they are happier moaning.

I doubt many of those wailing in the LET have been to Ewood in years. It's another over-reaction from a Blackburn public who do not want to support the club as they are happier moaning.

what an absolute crock

you fall back on some falsehood of a 'true' supporter - who blindly follows the actions/inactions of the management of the club without comment; to do otherwise would be tantamount to treason. how narrow minded of you.

ironic too that this nausea-inducing mantra is posted on a thread where the overwhelming number of posts support the notion that whoever saw fit to involve the media before TP himself acted incredibly poorly and tactlessly- someone who is invariably going to be a member of the senior management of the club / board. according to you though, they can do no wrong?

Edited by mattyboy6000

Unofficial press release that should have happened.

After explaining in detail the new concept to restructure the club along the lines outlined below we have come to an agreement with Tony Parkes that he is to be released from his duties.

Together with Tony we have found ways to maintain his interest in and input into Blackburn Rovers F.C.

A testimonial will be announced in the near future.

Restructuring

Co-ordinated, high quality systems in tactics, coaching, training, nutrition etc are to be put in place in all Blackburn Rovers' teams, from Youth to the First Team.

This enables the free flow of sytems, know-how and, most importantly players, through the whole of Blackburn Rovers FC.

Experience has confirmed that only a common philosophy of football running through all teams enables a club to identify talent early and ensure Academy players are "groomed" and "expected" to reach the dizzy heights of Blackburn Rovers F.C. First Team.

Finally we note with interest the changes to UEFA rules which may well be considered at the meeting in Spring 2005 in Talinn, Estonia.

Mark Hughes

Eddie Niedzwiecki and Mark Bowen

Kevin Hitchcock

The Board (whoever they are.. no names that I could find on the official site)

"We all felt the decision to sack him was wrong," said Mark Hughes.

"There was a strong feeling in the dressing room that he'd been treated unfairly," Hughes said.

That was what Sparky had to say in 1989 after Mike England, the former Rovers defender, was sacked as Welsh boss after Wales narrowly failed to qualify for Euro 1988.

"The Welsh FA got it wrong," said Hughes, commenting on the decision to get rid of Mike. "We felt he deserved to be treated better than that."

Fifteen years on, Rovers made an almighty cock-up in the way that they handled Tony Parkes' dismissal. It was a PR disaster for the club.

Friday November 12th was a day of shame in the history of Blackburn Rovers football club.

It was a dark day for all those who believe in traditional values like integrity, decency and respect - (values sadly lacking in today's society.)

A man who showed 34 years of loyalty to Rovers was not given the dignity of being told first-hand that his services were no longer required. What a terrible indictment of the cut-throat world we live in.

The Rovers 'mole' has done untold damage to our club. This odious creature has been lurking for some time at Ewood now. The Souness training spats with Yorke and Cole were leaked, the decision to strip Flitcroft of the Rovers captaincy was leaked beforehand, and most seriously of all, the disgraceful leaking of Parkes' sacking to The Sun.

What a cowardly despicable act it was for the 'mole' to ring up The Sun to tell them of Tony's sacking before he was told first-hand. mad.gif

I wish the Rovers board would show the same level of determination in investigating the identity of the Ewood 'mole' as they seem to do when investigating allegations of racism....

I think that Jack Walker would have been appalled by the Parkes fiasco. While it's obviously true that Jack was willing to make hard decisions and change managers like Hodgson and Kidd if necessary, he would surely have wanted a loyal servant like Tony to have been given a more dignified farewell.

The decision to sack Parkes was taken on the Tuesday, and yet he wasn't given the courtesy of being told before the Friday.

It was an appalling blunder to give the news a chance to leak beforehand. The Rovers board should surely have thought more carefully about the possibility that a 'mole' would leak the news.

And what a PR disaster it turned out to be.

"Appalling", "Disgraceful," "The Worst Sacking in Premiership History" - these were just some of the words in the national press used to describe the fiasco.

I gather that John Williams occasionally reads the messages on this board.

Mr Williams, if you happen to be reading this, please accept your share of responsibility for this huge cock-up which has cast our club in such a bad light.

Mr Williams, one of your main roles as Chief Executive, (on a reported salary of £250,000 per year) is to try to widen our fan base. Do you think that that the appalling way that Tony Parkes was treated is likely to increase our attendances?

Mr Williams, the next time you are shaving in the morning, and keeping the 'tash neatly trimmed - please look deeply into the mirror and ask yourself if you ought to have handled this situation in a rather better way. The answer surely has to be a resounding 'Yes'.

I hope Mr Williams that you will learn the lessons from this shameful episode, which angered and alienated sections of our supporters.

I hope that Mark Hughes will also learn from the events. Sparky is inexperienced in terms of club management, and the decision not to inform Tony sooner of his dismissal is perhaps indicative of that lack of experience in club management.

I accept that Hughes has the right to change his backroom staff. (Although I disagree with the decision he made.)

What I can't accept is the appalling blunder that was made in not believing it was right to inform Tony earlier of his departure.

Mark Hughes says that Parkes has done a "Magnificent job" at Rovers.

And yet there's no place for him at the club.

I still can't quite understand why someone who is doing a "magnificent job" should be sacked. To me, that just doesn't make sense.

Do you get rid of him so that someone else can come in and do an 'even more magnificent job'?

Time will tell at the end of the season if results justify the Parkes sacking.

Since the 22nd of September, Hughes has had a run of eight consecutive Premiership matches without a win (plus the League Cup defeat against Bournemouth) - following on from the ten competitive matches without a win that he had with Wales.

Sparky's new backroom team certainly need to start doing a "magnificent job" pretty damn soon....

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

AESF

This is old ground and largely last week's rant.

''magnificent job'' is diplomatic speak aimed at not making the decision worse than it already was - better than saying 'Clear off and don't darken this doorway again'.

On a fresh note, however, any suggestions as to who the mole(s) might be (without prejudice of course)?

PR cock up? Most people didn't hear about it outside those who support the club, and those who support the club don't really mind all too much. Some of you may be upset, but most think it was the right thing to do just handled poorly, oh well, life goes on.

Do you think that this mole is the same mole that leaked the Flitty and training ground bust-ups?

If this person(s) is making a few quid from the papers by leaking these stories the club should be doing something about it - No way should an employee be getting paid to embarress the Rovers!

I still very much doubt that it was an employee of the club.

Anyway, has TP got on the blower to Colin Hendry yet? Perfect job for him!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.