SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who Allowed The F.A. Cup To Die

den

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much of a chance does Mokoena have to start.

Him and Amoruso,hmm not too convinced with that partnership.

Hopefully Short or Nissa one of them plays.

I would like to see Mokoena in line for debut, but I certainly not hope that amoruso will be his partner. amoruso is definitly on my out-list for this transfer window!

I know Rovers not are a side that can feature their second string and still win the early stages, but I hope Jemal Johnson will make is debut on saturday, coming off the bench sometime in the match. I think we should rest some of our most important players that are tired after the chrismas period.

my suggestion:

Enckelmann

Neill Todd Mokoena McEveley

Thommo Flitty Reid/Douglas MGP

Gally Stead

Subs

Friedel/Yeldell

Nisse

Jemal

Douglas/Reid

Short or Dickov

not that Matteo are one of the greatest rolleyes.gif , but it would have been nice if McEveley got a game.

Todd IS one of our best at the time, but I feel this could be a match to try these to in pair as I feel, if Mokoena is good, should be our new regulars in defence

Cardiff don't seem that arsed about the match.

Mirror Story.

Believe what you want on that Scotty but try telling the Cardiff players and fans that.

The Scalp of a Premiership and English side - nothing better for them at the moment and building upon there recent revival could go along way to building their confidence for the rest of the season.

We could easily be one of the 'big boy' scalps taken considering our previous non-cup campaigns , however, even though I think it will be tough I still fancy us to win comfortably 2 or 3 nil.

Looking forward to this match. Gonna get my ticket down there. Never been to Ninian Park before. Any of this anti English malarkey and I will be straight into Glaswegian tourist mode wink.gif

I hope we field a strong team and go for the win. I'm fed up with this "Premier League bread and butter " nonsense.

Lets aim to win every game we can. thumbs-up.gif

Just read there are fitness doubts about Dickov, Reid, Ferguson and Flitcroft as well as none of the longer term casualties being ready to return.

Could be an interesting line-up and Cardiff fancying their chances.

You mean you just read Hughes will be changing the side on Saturday Philipl biggrin.gif

When they allowed Manchester United to play the reserve team in the competition, was the day the F.A. cup died for me.

I agree Den.

The message that it sent out to the country was that the FA Cup is no longer important - it comes second to a joke competition staged in Brazil.

United's absence from the FA Cup and the way they were allowed to willingly belittle the oldest and most famous knockout competition in the world was scandalous.

When they arrived in South America, the United players seemed to be more interested in topping up their tans in the Brazilian sun rather than their performances out on the pitch, where they looked rather disinterested.

The pictures which appeared in the papers on a daily basis of the United players strolling around a Rio beach in their designer sunglasses reinforced the message that United were behaving like a bunch of prima donnas while the FA Cup's historic traditions were being damaged.

user posted image

Nowadays, giant killing is a thing of the past. The small clubs can still beat the top clubs, but not beat their strongest side. They can beat their reserves.

In terms of the top three clubs in the country, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man United, you're correct Den.

It's hard to envisage any of the top three clubs in the country being beaten if they play their strongest side against weaker lower league opposition.

It wasn't always like this of course.

In the 70's, 80's and 90's, there was at least one major shock each decade involving one of the top clubs in the country.

In the 1970's, Leeds United, when they were the top team in the land, were beaten 3-2 by Colchester in 1971.

In the 1980's, Man United (then the tournament holders) lost 2-0 in 1984 to Bournemouth, while Arsenal lost 1-0 to York City in 1985.

In the 90's, the Gunners (then League champions) were beaten 2-1 by Wrexham in 1992.

Now, because the financial gulf between rich and poor is vastly bigger than before, it seems inconceivable that Chelsea, Arsenal or Man United could be beaten if they fielded their strongest side against a lower league club.

For the match at Cardiff, Mark Hughes returns to the city where he played such a vital part in our Worthington Cup win.

I'm expecting Saturday's match to be a much calmer less volatile game than when Leeds visited Ninian Park in the FA Cup two seasons ago.

Back then, with the score standing at 1-1 in the second half, Cardiff chairman Sam Hammam left his seat in the directors box and walked alongside the pitch with a known football hooligan.

user posted image

Together they incited the crowd, whipping them into a frenzy during a bad-tempered match against David O'Leary's side, who had the abrasive Alan Smith sent off.

A gesture from Hamman that might have been seen as an eccentric stunt at Wimbledon took on a different and altogether more provocative complexion when performed in front of Cardiff's rather inflamed supporters.

Visitors to Ninian Park can at times be subjected to intimidation from Cardiff City fans - although violent street battles are usually reserved for their Welsh derby matches against Swansea City and against teams saddled with a 'hooligan reputation', such as Leeds, Millwall and Bristol City.

I'm not a big fan of Hamman. For all his professed love of Wimbledon, he had no qualms about doing a runner with 30 million quid in his pocket, letting a bunch of Norwegians take it to Milton Keynes.

Like 'Publicity Pete' Mr Ridsdale, Sam clearly enjoys the publicity and the attention he gets.

He tells his players that they'll be forced to eat camel brains and sheep testicles if they let in too many goals - and then ensures that a camera is present at the restaurant to record the event. Anything for a bit of extra publicity and media attention.

Hamman likes to make wild boasts, once ludicrously suggesting that Cardiff City would become 'as big as Barcelona'.

At times, in his desperation for attention, Sam can behave like a yob - such as the time when he scrawled offensive graffiti on the team's dressing room wall at Upton Park.

Hamman even inserted a clause into the contract of one manager, Bobby Gould, giving himself the right to change the team up to 45 minutes before the start of any match - an outrageous breach of traditional protocol.

I don't anticipate any hooligan problems this Saturday, and I'm hopeful that Rovers will win this tie.

Prediction: Cardiff 0 Rovers 1

It's been so long since we had a good run in the Cup, so I hope Hughes takes it seriously. For most of the top teams in the Premiership, the F.A Cup comes behind the league and qualification for the Champions League. But players want to have medals at the end of their careers, so if it came between qualifing for the Champions League, or winning the F.A Cup, I'd say they'd go for the Cup.

I think that I'm going to this one, so Rovers better win. I hope that Hughes puts out a pretty much full strength team, although I'd like to see Mokoena's debut and Pedersen getting a game. But then again, the team have played alot of matches lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were afew omissions. Does anyone know if Nelsen is able to play on Saturday? It would be nice to Jemal Johnson get a game and show what he can do.

Cardiff are really struggling at the minute and we are playing well, so I have to go for an away win. 3-1 to Rovers.

So no one wants a lift from teh Midlands area?

If you pick me up (after breakfast) from West London, allow me to consume alcohol in the car, and drop me at a party in Richmond by 7pm ... I'll make sure no Welsh people do you any harm.

Great article by Gordon Strachan on Premiership Managers picking teams for the FA Cup.

There is a common view (which I share) that the FA Cup will be treated much more seriously this year. Mourinho will put out strong Chelsea teams to win; even if Arsene fields the kids, they are so exciting they add glamour to the competition and for the Mancs, the FA Cup will soon be their only realistic chance of silverware this year.

Boro, Liverpool and Spurs have to take it seriously because at least one of them are not qualifying for Europe through their league position whilst we all know about "massive" Newcastle and empty cabinets.

The Third Round Draw is the most romantic in years. I really hope that the Prem clubs take their encounters with the lesser brethren seriously and that there are upsets everywhere except Ninian Park.

I really hope that the Prem clubs take their encounters with the lesser brethren seriously

Don't hold your breath. Benitez has signalled his intention to play a load of youngsters at Turf Moor tonight.

I really hope that the Prem clubs take their encounters with the lesser brethren seriously

Don't hold your breath. Benitez has signalled his intention to play a load of youngsters at Turf Moor tonight.

Yes, he has selected his strongest water polo eleven.

Sorry Flopsy, got to install new central heating rads this weekend or I dont get a pass for the remainder of the seasons fixtures. dry.gif

Could you pop round and help me with a heated towel rail and rad? Saturday morning before the Bolton game would be OK wink.gif

Sorry Flopsy, got to install new central heating rads this weekend or I dont get a pass for the remainder of the seasons fixtures.  dry.gif

Could you pop round and help me with a heated towel rail and rad? Saturday morning before the Bolton game would be OK wink.gif

Do mine instead, I'll buy you a pint! Its been leant against the wall since September. Im just waiting for it to get a bit warmer before I fit it. wink.gif

Back then, with the score standing at 1-1 in the second half, Cardiff chairman Sam Hammam left his seat in the directors box and walked alongside the pitch with a known football hooligan.

Together they incited the crowd, whipping them into a frenzy during a bad-tempered match against David O'Leary's side, who had the abrasive Alan Smith sent off.

A gesture from Hamman that might have been seen as an eccentric stunt at Wimbledon took on a different and altogether more provocative complexion when performed in front of Cardiff's rather inflamed supporters.

Visitors to Ninian Park can at times be subjected to intimidation from Cardiff City fans - although violent street battles are usually reserved for their Welsh derby matches against Swansea City and against teams saddled with a 'hooligan reputation', such as Leeds, Millwall and Bristol City.

I'm not a big fan of Hamman. For all his professed love of Wimbledon, he had no qualms about doing a runner with 30 million quid in his pocket, letting a bunch of Norwegians take it to Milton Keynes.

Like 'Publicity Pete' Mr Ridsdale, Sam clearly enjoys the publicity and the attention he gets.

He tells his players that they'll be forced to eat camel brains and sheep testicles if they let in too many goals - and then ensures that a camera is present at the restaurant to record the event. Anything for a bit of extra publicity and media attention.

Hamman likes to make wild boasts, once ludicrously suggesting that Cardiff City would become 'as big as Barcelona'.

At times, in his desperation for attention, Sam can behave like a yob - such as the time when he scrawled offensive graffiti on the team's dressing room wall at Upton Park.

Hamman even inserted a clause into the contract of one manager, Bobby Gould, giving himself the right to change the team up to 45 minutes before the start of any match - an outrageous breach of traditional protocol.

I don't anticipate any hooligan problems this Saturday, and I'm hopeful that Rovers will win this tie.

Like lots of opinions regarding both "Cardiff City supporters" and Sam Hammam some of the points you made are genuine others are poorly formed and incorrect. There is no doubt Sam likes to get in to the media, but this is what any business tries to archive, Sam happens to be good at it.

As for him leaving Wimbledon, well he's in football for the money, we at Cardiff appreciate that and we do worry about the future, however you must remember we were languishing in the lower divisions for nearly 20 years and in hell of a mess. The future of Cardiff City lays at the door of our new Stadium which, will/not be given the final go ahead on the 19th of January. The stadium even though a brick hasn't be laid yet is draining money from the club at an alarming rate, but its important as it comes with a Shopping complex which will not only fund the stadium but over time pay off the debts the club has amassed.

As for the Hooligan element, I'm not going to pretend they don't exist here they do, however as for comments as "violent street battles", well lets just say as a season ticket holder since 83 I haven't seen such for years. This season there has been no trouble at any of the games nor has there been trouble outside the ground or in the City centre (where it normally occurs anyway). As I said there are Muppets here and come the revolution they will be first against the wall, but they are a tiny minority whom most Cardiff fans detest. Things are improving immensely here and I new modern stadium will also help.

As for Leeds match what you said is wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start. The supporters were highly charged for many reasons, Leeds were flying high, we after years in the doldrums where finally making progress, people were returning Ninian Park and it was the first big game we’d had in years and it was a chance for us to put one over on the big guns. The game on the pitch was not bad tempered at all. The only clash point was the sending off, in which David O’Leary went berserk on the touch line and this incensed the Fans not Sam walking around the pitch, which he did at every match prior to the Leeds match. In fact in the playoff's in which we lost to Stoke Sam went up to the Stoke fans at the end of the game that were obviously over the moon and applauded them, they applauded back. There are so many issues I could raise from the Leeds match but I'd just end up boring everyone, but ultimately the truth lies in the middle of the road.

As for the game tomorrow, well it’s got to be a Blackburn win for me. The standard in this division is dire and considering we are 4 from bottom I think that explains all you need to know. For anyone wanting a pint before the match the Lansdowne pub is place to go, open welcomes away supporters and there won’t be a hooligan in sight.

Sorry Flopsy, got to install new central heating rads this weekend or I dont get a pass for the remainder of the seasons fixtures.  dry.gif

We play Bolton on a Monday. sad.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.