BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who Allowed The F.A. Cup To Die

den

Monday lunchtime 12:32, the draw for the 3rd round of the F.A. cup - live on the wireless. smile.gif

Factory workers and office workers alike returned from lunch just a few minutes late. Either that or they huddled behind machines out of sight of the gaffer. It seemed as if the whole world stopped for those few minutes. Whispers slowly emerged from the huddle to spread like wildfire around the offices or shop floors. "North end away, pause---------to Arsenal". Gasps and real excitement on the faces of the North end fans. "Hang on, United at home---------to Leeds." groans all round, then a quick look behind to see if the gaffer's around. He isn't. He knows what's going on, but is keeping out of the way.

"Shhhh- shudup!" "Rovers against West Ham!"Gasps from the rovers fans. "Where at?" voices from the back. "Away" - "oh no".

"That is the end of the draw for the third round of the F.A. cup".

Everyone quietly makes their way back to the lathe or planer or office desk, or wherever. The mind wasn't on the work though, it was on the chances of winning the tie. What chance of Rovers going to west Ham and winning, or can we scrape a draw and bring them back to Ewood three days later?

F.A. cup day itself was marvellous. The first time I ever saw Rovers was in a home tie against Middlesbrough. 30.000 fans greeted me as I walked onto the riverside from the entrance behind the middle of the stand. Brindle Brass Band were playing in the centre of the pitch. That was the answer to the quiz of the time. "who played at Ewood on good friday morning and Deepdale on good friday afternoon?"

That day made me into a roverite for ever.

Anyway onto Cardiff City. Oh how the authorities have allowed a great competition to ebb away. When they allowed Manchester United to play the reserve team in the competition, was the day the F.A. cup died for me. No-one wants to know that competition now. When Colchester drew the mighty Leeds team, the fans knew they were in for a real treat. Leeds would bring their strongest team available and want to win badly. Nowadays, giant killing is a thing of the past. The small clubs can still beat the top clubs, but not beat their strongest side. They can beat their reserves. That's all.

Anyhow, there wasn't a preview lined up for this tie, so I thought I'd put a few words in myself for a change smile.gif

So off you go!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No-one wants to know that competition now.

I do smile.gif and I shall be very annoyed if Rovers do not take this tie seriously. I expect Hughes to go there with a full team and look to beat Cardiff first time. I would accept we might see MGP in for a debut and perhaps Gally and Stead up front to give Dickov a rest, otherwise it should be the same as yesterday.

I was shocked by the attitude of Radio Rovers yesterday when it was suggested we might rest several players as the PL is more important. Well for me the FA Cup is just as important. We've had bugger all to shout about for two years so an effort at achieving a cup run is EXPECTED not just a turn up and see what happens.

Great post den - I remember it all smile.gif

Cardiff are a very ordinary side struggling at the wrong end of the second division but so were we when King Kenny brought the mighty Liverpool to Ewood.

My words before Bournemouth came to Ewood were horribly prophetic- With so many Prem clubs playing lower division opposition, there is bound to be at least one casualty and it could well be us.

Ditto this tie.

However, a draw gets us a replay this time rather the chance to demonstrate our ability to lose a penalty shoot out.

1-1 in a right scrap in which MGP and other recent signings put in appearances. rover.gif

So what's the first team now, boss?

For those who are travelling to Cardiff and haven`t visited Ninian Park before, brace yourselves. It`s an experience, and take a crash helmet.

Cardiff is a great city, as most of us will remember, but playing away at Cardiff is a different thing altogether.

Think we`ll win though.

I've just put some info up in the Away Guide section for those of you that are travelling (although much of it may be out of date). Personally, it's a rare chance to stand on a terrace again, quite possibly the last one I'll get as a Rovers fan, so I'm not going to miss it.

I went to Cardiff in 78/79 on the famous Ribblesdale coaches, and we made it there and back!!!

Good pint of Brains Mild in the Bluebirds supporters club then shear hell.

Even the police who were stood 5 yards away were encouraging the local skinheads in the visitors end to give the English boys a good kicking. Could not even relieve ourselve of that nice welsh beer without dicing with death.

I am sure life has changed in 2005, or are the "skinheads" now 40 something morons. One of my colleagues from Cardiff, who is late 40's and normally very sensible and holds down a good job (£45K plus) told me he was on the pitch at Cardiff v Leeds "just for a laugh".

so god help us. cardiff is one of those teams, like Scumley and Birmingham where time has stood still with the fans and they still have the 70 and 80's mentality.

I'll be there on Sat with no colours and me cup of Bovril.

Rovers to play a near full-strength team and win 2-0.

I don't really want to miss this one, but I'm struggling for a lift at the moment (I would rather miss the match than travel by coach).

Any offers of a lift from the East Lancs area would be greatly appreciated! I'll even supply the beer. smile.gif

I believe that the FA Cup began to die when the rewards for being in the Premiership (£ wise) became so out of proportion with the league.

It is now of paramount importance to stay in the premiership and managers are reluctant to risk injury to their best players in cup competitions unless they happen to get into the final rounds.

The FA cup magic has therefore now died, possibly for ever.

Unfortunately money is more important than silverware.

I think this may well go to a replay, which isn't ideal.

I would advise (with my years of football management knowledge) Hughes to rest - Freidel, Neill, Ferguson, Emerton and Dickov.

Whcih would leave room for Enkleman, Mceverly, Mokoena, Pedersen and Gallagher. I'd certainly look at putting Jemal Johnson in the squad and possibly a couple of other younsters.

Whilst I certainly don't want the F.A cup to die, the premeir league is our bread and butter and we must concentrate on that.

i've been to Cardiff before and it is a time warp in terms of hospitality..

My serious advice, dont wear colours and keep your head down..

Irrespective of us not having a large hooligan following, for the dim wits from the self proclaimed roughest council estate in Europe, they will see any fan as game, English and from the premiership and more than likely take a pop before asking questions...

In terms of the FA Cup I believe some of the old magic is returning and it will intensify once Wembley is rebuilt!!

1-0 win to us and then the dingles in round 4, for more crash helmet fun!!

Getting two standing tickets tomorrow, bring it on!!!!

Just hope the ticket office post them out in time dry.gif

I predict a fine victory and a post match sing along with the cardiff fans on the pitch, holding hands and all the worlds woes and troubles fade away.

2-0 and steady to notch biggrin.gif

It could be a welcome relief to playing league matches whilst at the wrong end of the table. I hope Hughsey tells all the lads to go out, relax and show Cardiff what Premiership football's all about. I'm not advocating taking it easy, more enjoying the game and showing that we have the edge in class. Of course, Cardiff could turn it into a kicking match, but I suspect we could show them up even more if they try that.

i've been to Cardiff before and it is a time warp in terms of hospitality..

My serious advice, dont wear colours and keep your head down..

Irrespective of us not having a large hooligan following, for the dim wits from the self proclaimed roughest council estate in Europe, they will see any fan as game, English and from the premiership and more than likely take a pop before asking questions...

What a load of ######! rolleyes.gif

We're in great form as of the last two games, and will have confidence after stuffing Forest here yesterday. I say 1-0 to us against a over-confident Rovers side. Your ex-player Peter Thorne to get the goal.

Edited by bluebirds boyo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.