BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who Allowed The F.A. Cup To Die

den

Just got back from the game.

It was a poor game in my opinion. Considering Cardiff are in the lower parts of The Championship, we matched them rather than out played them.

There were hardly any shots on goal and the main play were either down the touchlines or around the penalty area but with no finished product.

Dickov looked very tired, didnt seem like his usual hassling self, Matteo was rubbish. He fouled them, he mis-kicked and he couldnt pass or tackle. He really had a bad game. Felt Friedel was unlucky with their goal, he looked kinda suprised that it was in the back of the net and Pedersen scored with a good finish, however that was it from him, didn't see him for the rest of the game as he didn't seem like he wanted the ball as he made no effort to get it. Mokoena had a mixed game, he did some good tackles and looks promising but also didnt look too comfortable when going in the oppositions half.

Its hard to say who was best because I felt as a team we were pretty poor, considering our recent form but I'm happy with a replay at Ewood, so i'm going to say Nissa, Todd for being solid at the back and Flitcroft for being his usual 'getting stuck in' self.

Just want to mention the atmosphere. I enjoyed standing *hoooorrraaayy!!* at a football game without being told to sit down, however felt that there were more England songs than Blackburn songs at times which was stupid considering it was a Rovers v Cardiff game even though at the start it was amusing but after 5 minutes it got boring. When it was Rovers songs though, I felt we were great!

I was a bit disappointed with the Cardiff fans though, I expected them to be singing throughout with an 'intense' atmosphere as described by a few Cardiff fans.

Just want to mention that I am glad I am alive as I was travelling to the game sat next to an ex-Cardiff hooligan. He was very nice though and told me about all the peoples heads he's kicked in. He said he was also part of the Cardiff Skinheads, who I weren't sure were, as i've never heard of them before. Anyone know?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mokoena was excellent, didnt put a foot wrong. I would be disappointed if Pedersen starts the next game, despite a decent enough performance - we have better at the moment in his position.

Stead wasnt particularly bad, he just didnt have much of a chance to make an impression. We tended to look to Dickov more often. He had a good chance that was well saved by Warner in the first half, as did Dickov (albeit deflected) in the second half.

Matteo was bad beyond words. Everyone else was pretty average. Didnt see their goal cos I was getting a burger.

Getting to the ground was easy, very well signposted, and there was loads of parking. That was probably the most exciting part of the day.

Huh on the IRA thing. huh.gif

And for point 4, c'mon you hardly troubled us. Be honest. If anything during the last few minutes we were the more dangerous.

A few Rovers fans were singing songs and mentioning IRA...pretty stupid really as it had nothing to do with the game itself. They were just a sad group of kids who thought they were tough standing next to the Cardiff fans who were also a group of kids.

To be honest, I dont think either team really troubled anyone near the end. We both had the ball and both showed that we couldnt do anything with the ball in the final part of the pitch. From the moment Cardiff equalised, it looked like that was gonna be it in terms of goals as neither team showed they had the firepower.

This is what a Cardiff fan thought of the game:

Right then just got back and i'm a bit 50-50 we done enough in the first 70 minutes to get a win i'd say, the last 20 we were dominated and Blackburns class showed then. But for the first 70 we were the better side and may have come off slightly unhappier with the end result.

Blackburn had a cracking start when they went one up good finish from MGP. An then everyone wondered how we would react on our little 4 game unbeaten run we're on we haden't gone behind so everyone was a bit nervous about what would happen.

We needen't of worried to be honest as we started to come right backinto the game and were in complete control for periods, we fineally got a deserved equaliser after a few missed half chances thanks to Alan Lee/brad Friedal own goal whatever it was it doesn't make no difference. Blackburn at this time were being ripped apart by Mcanuff and thier little of tactic of smashing him off the ball got what it deserved with 3 yellow cards dished out to the Balckburn defence, Paul Dickov as noral tried to ###### everyone off with his little time wasting tactics but he was getting incresinly frustrated and abused as the game went on, oh well no-one likes the little t**t so good enough for him. Shortly after the goal Gabbidon had a cracker of a chance but couldn't make contact from about 2 yards out. But once the half time whistle went we were on top and Blackburn were the more relived to hear the whistle.

Langley went off at half time to be replaced by bullock must have been injured as he was playing fine if you ask me, and Bullock duley went about and got stuck into about half te Blackburn side with very tough but fair challanges. Inamoto had a good long range effort spilled by friedal and Kav unleased a belter from range as well, Blackburn then had a goal chalked off because of an apprent foul on Warner i think, to be fair.....it could have goen either way and they have every right to feel aggrived but i'm not going to lose sleep over it  it was even better when Dickov was the one who eventually stuck it in, he soon lost the little smile on his face. Alan Lee then went close as he was inches away from turning in a cross shot by jerome. Then Thorney came on for Alan lee, but from then on Blackburn dominated but our defence stood firm with Warner onlty having to make one real stop and it was a cracker of a save from Dickov's shot, once again our defence come up trumps

rover.gif first away game of the season for me and junior and i can say i really enjoyed it.

standing on terraceing,well junior sat on the barrier it was like old times.i went with the official travel and i must admit the behaviour off a few on the coach made the ewood blues look like angels.

arrived at the ground at 12.30 and the steward said the gates did not open till 1.30pm you better go the pub.well the average age off the coach was 16 and most went the pub,hence the behaviour on the way home.went to the landsdowne and the ardiff fans made us welcome,###### off when my fellow travellers got a bit boistourous,i can look after myself but when junior is in tow,better safe than sorry.

the atmosphere in the ground was great,plenty off songs with virtually everyone joining in.the game was poor,i would have took a draw at kick off,so not dissapionted.

the best news off today was alex bruce played for oldham tinykit.gif

God dam it, wished i'd paid more attention regarding Bruce for Oldhamon match of the day, Waggy.

Intersesting reading peoples comments regarding Stead, Matteo and Pedersen - i think what they are all saying is what we've known for a while.

Matteos passing or agricultural kicking with his left foot - how on earth has this man ......made a living from professional football in the premiership, unbelievable, staggering in fact, football has to be corrupt to allow such a talentless individual into earning vast sums of money without ability to back it up.

Its way beyond comprehension for the common man.

Stead isnt improving but credit for the Rovers fans in supporting him through these lean times.

Pedersen has ability but lacks that physical presence fingers crossed he can make it .

I think MGP had a good game and he SHUT a few people up who hadnt given him a fair chance,but who impressed me most was Mokoena.It sounded like he made quite a few good perfectly timed tackles.

Now if only Matteo could defend or pass. dry.gif

If it 'SOUNDED' like Modoena had a good game you obviouslly weren;t there so how do you know that MGP SHUT a few people up? Simon Garner said apart from the goal he was ineffective on Radio Lancs!

Just woke up to the result, not entirely unhappy with the result. Would rather not here about Friedals "blunder", as how it happened sounds like appalling goalkeeping. sad.gif

At least we have home advantage to give the fans some, hopefully, entertaining football. Very happ for Jemal Johnson smile.gif

C'MON ROVERS

rover.gif first away game of the season for me and junior and i can say i really enjoyed it.

standing on terraceing,well junior sat on the barrier it was like old times.i went with the official travel and i must admit the behaviour off a few on the coach made the ewood blues look like angels.

arrived at the ground at 12.30 and the steward said the gates did not open till 1.30pm you better go the pub.well the average age off the coach was 16 and most went the pub,hence the behaviour on the way home.went to the landsdowne and the ardiff fans made us welcome,###### off when my fellow travellers got a bit boistourous,i can look after myself but when junior is in tow,better safe than sorry.

the atmosphere in the ground was great,plenty off songs with virtually everyone joining in.the game was poor,i would have took a draw at kick off,so not dissapionted.

the best news off today was alex bruce played for oldham tinykit.gif

was you by any chance on coach number 3??

Hasta,

He scored a goal on his first start in 3 months, his second goal in 2 games.

What more do people want?Give him 5 straight starts and see what he does.If we cant afford that, then dont slag him off.

If he didnt shut a few people up,then people should be banging their aheads against the wall with the fact that our strikers cant really score other than Dickov!

Walked in at 1am thank to the lovely bus replacement trip round the house (thanks british rail)

Good day out yesterday with Scotty, Manc Blue, RachRover, cn174, bellamy11, darwenpete, Jordan and a few others.

Train down and the "blind" was a good laugh, although cracking the cans open at 9 Rachel??!!

Few beers pre match, and again met a few - Glenn, Flopsy, believe waggy was there as well, in fact I think I got battered by junior!

I was a little disappointed with the atmosphere inside, whilst I accept we are hardly a 'glamour' game the noise or lack of from the home fans reminded me of Ewood. The game itself was a dour affair with neither side looking good, the Cardiff players were trying to get Matteo send off with their theatrics. It was one of those games both teams should have lost.

Pederson - Im amused that people who listened on the radio are observing that he shut up his critics? How? Yes he scored, but what else did he do? In the first half he was distinctly average, and in the second half he went missing, I even thought he had been subbed.

We need to sort out our striking issue, Stead isnt doing it. Dickov for all his hard work needs someone to play off - Gally improved the side when he came on but Im not sure he is the answer.

And finally a big "up" to Graham (Le Saux) and the Wem massive.

Anyone else fed up with the BBC. Sheff Utd v Villa was a live game, they showed highlights of the match before the Plymouth-Everton game and then showed more highlights during MOTD. I stayed up till 12.40am (fell asleep on the sofa) to see the Rovers highlights - missed them.

My lad just called "Dad, Rovers are on" - in the time it tokk to walk to the next room (12 feet away) our highlights are over and done with - saw Brad picking the ball out of the net. Yet Sheff Utd -Villa gets live coverage and TWO sets of highlights. Disgraceful coverage.

both goals were shown and that was it. Every other game had some kind of analysis/report over it - I think that something happened so they could only have BBC Wales commentator on it.

Oh well. You didint miss much Paul - I would like ot have seen whether we should have had that goal.

All in all it was a good day out. darwenpete kept us all entertained on the train down by creating his newspaper curtain. You had to see it to believe the genius of the thing!

Then met up with more people in the pub before the game. All Cardiff fans seemed pretty accommodating towards us despite the fact we took over their pub!

The game wasn't the best. It was pretty scrappy. Rovers were average. Good finish by Pedersen for the goal, but we never really looked very threatening going forward.

Mokeana looked pretty good. He's a very defensive minded player and I think he could work well with Ferguson or Tugay, as it would leave them to just attack while he'd take care of the defensive side of things.

Matteo on the other hand was rubbish. Bottom of the Championship is probably about his level. In previous games I've thought he was ok, but yesterday he wasn't.

From about 10 minutes into the second half I had the feeling that the game would go to a replay. We should be too strong for them at Ewood Park, although by looking at the prices, I'm not too sure how many people will be there to see it!

I think that something happened so they could only have BBC Wales commentator on it.

It was Ian Gwyn-Hughes doing the commentary. He isn't a BBC Wales commentator, he works for MOTD. I feel so sorry for him, he must have been bad in a previous life, because he ends up watching Rovers nearly every week!

The MOTD coverage was poor - as usual. They didn't even bother saying who scored our goal! We weren't the last match on which makes a change. Can't work out why we had extended highlights of a match we'd seen already that day!!

Well first thing it was nice to meet a lot of you the Lansdowne before the match, I hope we made you feel welcome and changed a few minds regarding the way many of us are portrayed. Most Blackburn supporters were confident of a win and to be honest I couldn't see a an upset even though we'd improved over the Xmas period.

The game started quite predictably with us forcing the game with some neat moves and half decent crossed but Friedel had nothing to save, then on the first Blackburn attack the ball was punted down the middle by freidel the ball was won in the middle I think and dropped to Dickov who played a fantastic ball through for Pederson who finished in style. After that Blackburn were in total control of the game for about 10 minutes when you could off wrapped it up. Dickov had a great chance but unlike Pederson neat and well though finish he just blasted it from 8 yrds Straight at Warner our keeper. When we finally figured out that playing the offside trap 2 yrds out side your own box didn't work we slowly started to get back into the game. We had a great spell of pressure for about 25 minutes in which time you picked up 3 booking, 2 were sure fire jobs but mateos was a comedy job. I must say we our Winger Job did go past your full back i was surprised on how blatant player were prepared to hack them down. I think it shows the bite Hughes has placed on the team and should stand you in good stead for the rest of the season. Any in this period we has a good chance when Jerome really should have done better with a header from 6 yrds but it was a sign of what was to come, from a throw in the ball was laid back to Graham Kavagnagh (probably our man of the match) who hit a first time cross to Alan Lee who's header hit the cross bar at the angle and bounce off Friedels hand into the net. You couldn't really blame Friedel for it he had to go for it and was slighly unfortunate. We probably deserved the goal on the amount of pressure we had managed to excert. Just after the Goal we were given a free kick just outside the box (another yellow card) and Kav again put in a quality cross which Gabs should have really scored, but the ball did go through a load of bodies.

The 2nd half the game died a bit, we still created a few half chances but nothing you could call clear cut. Blackburn finished the stronger and Dickov saw a shot well saved by Warner. You also hit the bar direct from a corner but to honest it was never going to go in. The only debating point in the game was the disallowed Dickov goal which came when Warner drop a cross under a challenge. To be honest from where I was sitting I thought we got lucky, I was sure that in div 1 or 2 game the goal would have been allowed. However watching the extensive highlights on BBC wales last night (30 minutes) it was a foul on the keeper.

Overall I think I can see the MH influence on your team. He has made you difficult to beat and thats half the battle and I think you can just see the first signs that he's moving on from that because for small periods in the game the speed and acuracy of your attacks was way above stuff we've seen in this Div you just need to play like that for longer periods. Anyway I'm sure you will win the replay and to be honest I wouldn't minded if Dickov's goal hadn't been ruled out because our priority hast to be to get away from the bottom of this div and a relay was probably the worst result . Hope the fans that travel down enjoyed the match and maybe will form a different opinion of most of us genuine city supporters.

Edited by Pugger

Very accurate summary from Pugger. Can't really say any more about the day as stuwilky has said it already.

The newspaper blinds have got to be seen to be believed. It was like Blue Peter on speed.

Edited by bellamy11

Pederson - Im amused that people who listened on the radio are observing that he shut up his critics? How? Yes he scored, but what else did he do? In the first half he was distinctly average, and in the second half he went missing, I even thought he had been subbed.

But don't you think he did enough to justify more involvement in the first team in the future. And when I say involvement, I don't mean definite starts but perhaps sub appearances.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.