BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth V Rovers 0-1

Ozz

What a cracking goal that was!

Another happy weekend and well pleased with our current situation and the attitudes of the players in the last 3 months has been great. The commentator said no team outside the top 7 has lost fewer games than us. Which is nice to hear.

Only thing bugging me is that im not here now saying 'nice to see midfielders scoring instead of our strikers scoring every week' i.e we desperatly need something upfront and fast. This disciplinary is also becomming a concern.

Strange to here everyone on here saying tugay was awful, must admit i didnt see much of him in the highlights but radio lancs guy said he had a great game.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the extended highlights on Sky, looked like we played really well. The defence looked excellent with the 2 new signings which is a relief as I always thought the full backs were our weak point over the last couple of months.

Does anyone know if the suspensions for Dickov and Tugay count for the cup game or do they have to miss the Bolton game? If we sign Savage though it should be him in for Tugay and away we go.

Very glad to hear the boys did well, have read most post match commentaries and posts and am happy to hear that both Mokena and Nelsen had good games.. well done also to MGP (NOT getting involved with the MGP debate). thumbs-up.gif

I know it was quite a "physical" match but I am getting concerned by the number of yellow cards the players are receiving, we must be worst in the league.. Mind you, we do have depth in the squad to handle suspensions.

IF, we can string the next three matches together with a run of wins, I'll be more cormfortable with rovers going into the toughest period of the season.. ph34r.gif

Roll on Cardiff and a good cup run rover.giftinykit.gif

There was a spell in the second half where the commentator must have said 'Nelsen wins the ball', or 'great challenge from Nelsen' or 'they couldn't get passed Nelsen' about five times in a minute..or so it seemed.

Sigh...

I'm sure gonna miss having him in D.C. United's defense next year. Glad to hear he had a good debut, though. Besides being a good defender, he's a good guy, too. Gonna miss him. sad.gif

Thinking about our recent results, the reports of promising debuts by Nelson and Moekena, the signs that Pedersen might prove to be the sort of player we hoped he could be and the prospect of signing Savage; we are starting to look like we have the sort of depth required to stay up, at the least. We could do with hanging on to Ferguson until the end of season, then getting the best price we can for him. If he helps us climb a few places before the end of the season it might offset any drop in his value. If we do well he might even start a bidding war. We could certainly do with another striker, but if that's obvious to us then it's painfully obvious to Hughes. As is, I'm at least beginning to think beyond the prospect of relegation, so I'm happy for Hughes to try and coach a few more goals out of the strikers we have until the right player becomes available. He's proving to be quite shrewd in the transfer market, but he's proving equally good at improving a previously under performing squad. I'm almost cautiously optimistic.

You all hoped, but no one on the board gave Morten the support, he did this all by himself. Got no support from rovers-supporters or Hughes. He told a friend of mine the only guy supporting him was some coach named eddie, who was the best coach he ever had.

Just got back from match. Tugay was awful but apart from that alot of strong individul performances including notably Nissa at full back. Pedersen still looks lightweight and easily dispossessed but one thrilling second half run certainly shows promise. Nelsen looks fearsomely strong more like All Bl;ack than a typical footballer.

A "strong" Reid would have scored NO goals in the FA cup, and NO goals against Pompey. Nuff said.

Very glad to hear the boys did well, have read most post match commentaries and posts and am happy to hear that both Mokena and Nelsen had good games.. well done also to MGP (NOT getting involved with the MGP debate). thumbs-up.gif

I know it was quite a "physical" match but I am getting concerned by the number of yellow cards the players are receiving, we must be worst in the league.. Mind you, we do have depth in the squad to handle suspensions.

IF, we can string the next three matches together with a run of wins, I'll be more cormfortable with rovers going into the toughest period of the season.. ph34r.gif

Roll on Cardiff and a good cup run rover.giftinykit.gif

Finally someone that can support Morten without giving some bad comments about norwegian supoporters or giving all the credit the the staff.

im sure Morten appreciates it.

Very glad to hear the boys did well, have read most post match commentaries and posts and am happy to hear that both Mokena and Nelsen had good games.. well done also to MGP (NOT getting involved with the  MGP debate).  thumbs-up.gif

IF, we can string the next three matches together with a run of  wins, I'll be more cormfortable with rovers going into the toughest period of the season..  ph34r.gif

Roll on Cardiff and a good cup run  rover.gif  tinykit.gif

Finally someone that can support Morten without giving some bad comments about norwegian supoporters or giving all the credit the the staff.

im sure Morten appreciates it.

Im sure your imaginary boyfriend appreciates your input.

I take it by Eddie you mean Steady Eddie from Arsenal?

Im sure the players have supported him.

About the fans,I agree Id say 20% supported him probably.But so what, he has proven himself now.

Flopsy that comment I made didnt have to be directed towards you, but there were many people who spoke that way, in a know-it-all manner,who support whatever the manager does without any question. Now anyway, we are past it.The only thing MGP supporters were asking was WHY didnt he get a single minute,not that he should be starting instead of others.

End of Story,lets not debate about the MGP soap opera anymore.

The team does well,so we are all happy.

You all hoped, but no one on the board gave Morten the support, he did this all by himself. Got no support from rovers-supporters or Hughes. He told a friend of mine the only guy supporting him was some coach named eddie, who was the best coach he ever had.

Cuidado, a bit of sports psychology for you:

- Hughes was a player for Rovers only two and a half years ago. He HAD to establish his authority by creating distance from ALL the plavers, not just Morten.

- It is the oldest trick in the game- good guy personal coach, bad guy team coach. Come on Morten, together we'll show Hughes how good you really are.

That said I am so pleased to hear that Rovers have such an exceptional coach as Eddie on the staff.

PS We were not AGAINST MGP. We all wanted him to come good but we were **** scared of our league position and we had faith in Mark Hughes' judgement.

Edited by philipl

Just seen MOTD and interesting to note several things about MGP. A nice, albeit offside, effort against the bar; a very well taken goal - great ball from Thomo but MGP still had work to do; he was first to Friedel after Faye's foul which suggests he was tracking back? plus he's clearly learnt a bit of Anglo-Saxon biggrin.gif

Well after sitting in some layby for over two hours last night just outside Portsmouth waiting for our bus to be fixed, we finally got home at two this morning. I'm so glad we won or else the 9 hour journey home might have been a bit too much!

As for the game. The first half was a bit of a non event. Only a couple of half chances really (well nothing that I can remember)

In the second half Rovers were the better team. Defensivly we were solid. I was impressed with Nelson, and Nissa also did an excellent job at left back.

The first sending off we didn't see, but after someone in the crowd shouted 'Todd!!! You stupid idiot!' (or words to that effect!) we was expecting Todd to go. But he got nothing and Lua Lua reluctantly left the field.

We had a couple of chances before the goal, Pedersen himself thought he'd scored but hit the crossbar. Pedersen's goal was very well taken - almost a carbon copy of his Cardiff goal. I thought Pedersen played better than against Cardiff. He was more involved in the game, and although he has a tendancy to drift upfront it seems he's also been working onthe defensive part of the game.

We could have finished the game off, Pedersen and Emerton created chances but Thommo couldn't score the vital second goal.

Then the board came up with 6 minutes! We could have really have done without that, (although there had been quite a few stoppages, but thats not the point!). In injury time Faye got sent off. Some man on 606 said that it was a 50-50 challenge, but it wasn't. Friedel already had the ball before Faye jumped in and was rightly sent off.

Everyone played well with the exception of Tugay. I thought he had a really poor game. But apart from him, Pedersen is improving and Nelson and Mokoena look like good signings.

Absolutely spot-on Philipl. Nobody more delighted than I am that MGP had a really good game and showed several times in the match what a really good player he can be for us. I am sure that most Rovers supporters also feel the same and can see that the boy has real talent. I am also sure that Mark Hughes has seen it too, but as Philipl pointed out it was not the right time to throw MGP into the arena at a time when Rovers were struggling and battling for survival. Perhaps now that there is a little breathing space the time is right to reward MGP for his patience and to use his undoubted talents more often and to the mutual benefit of us all.

Whilst it is true that the player is still rather lightweight, I personally have never thought that to be a problem; having many fond memories of seeing the geat Tom Finney in action throughout his entire career I well remember that when he was first offered to P.N.E. as a youth he was rejected by them as "too lightweight, and never likely to succeed as a professional footballer". Bearing in mind that he subsequently went on to become arguably the world's greatest player and never in his entire playing career weighed more than about 9 stones. Nuff said!

Just seen MOTD and interesting to note several things about MGP. A nice, albeit offside, effort against the bar; a very well taken goal - great ball from Thomo but MGP still had work to do; he was first to Friedel after Faye's foul which suggests he was tracking back? plus he's clearly learnt a bit of Anglo-Saxon biggrin.gif

I think that can be classed as esperanto now.

Hey I hold my hands up the kid did good - can i pick on him for his stupid hair now please.

MGP doesn`t seem to have a right foot(see goal) but boy does he have a left one(see goal).

I though looking at the team sheet, we might get steamed down the left, but I reckoned without the brick wall of Nelson, and Todd,Mokoena and NEJ. Awesome.

Three of our bookings were a little harsh-Emerton, Nelson and Mokoena.

Mokos ankle tap when the boy was through looked bad, but if you see it again he trips himself up.

Two sendings off were correct,-tip to Lualua-don`t headbutt Toddy!

FIRST DOUBLE OF THE SEASON-AS PREDICTED BY ME IN THE PREVIEW!

SECOND ONE DUE NEXT MONDAY!

Yeeeeeeeessssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!

......The first sending off we didn't see, but after someone in the crowd shouted 'Todd!!! You stupid idiot!' (or words to that effect!) we was expecting Todd to go. But he got nothing and Lua Lua reluctantly left the field.

......Some man on 606 said that it was a 50-50 challenge, but it wasn't.

For the first sending off, Nissa was looking a bit sheepish, so when the Ref. went to speak to his assistant, I was worried it was he who had been up to something, thank god he hadn't (or had but got away with it).

To the 606 caller, the only thing 50/50 about Faye's lunge was that he took out both Brad and Nissa.

We were a bit worried after Dickov's caution, as seconds after being booked he dragged back a Pompey player by his shirt, right in front of the ref's assistant! Luckily he went unpunished, as whilst in the 6 yes 'six' minutes of extra time, we'll miss him when suspended.

MGP doesn`t seem to have a right foot(see goal) but boy does he have a left one(see goal).

Didn't he score with his right?

Yes with his right, and the ball must have been chipped from the outstide of his foot, cheeky or what? smile.gif

Hmmm, I was watching it in the mirror whilst brushing me teeth.

blink.gif

can't believe the form blackburn is having now.

absolutely amazing!

hope this continues...

MGP gotta start every game as AM L

the 2 new signings settled in really fast.

and a smart yellow by mokoena.

Blackburn to finish above newcastle: 100/1 (2 months ago) 3/1 today

laugh.gif

Portsmouth is the resting home for HMS Victory - the grand old warship which under Nelson's command won the Battle of Trafalgar, keeping the French at bay.

While it's true that the victory at Fratton Park yesterday wasn't quite in the same category, there's no doubt that for Rovers the win could prove to be highly significant.

We have 25 points now, with a nine point cushion over third from bottom Norwich.

West Ham were relegated with 42 points in 2003, but a lower figure of 38 points should be enough to avoid the drop this year.

13 points from our remaining 15 games ought to be enough - a task that Rovers are capable of achieving.

I'm reasonably confident now that we should stay up. (Although given our abysmal home record over the last 18 months, complacency is perhaps best avoided.)

It wasn't a pretty game yesterday. It was an untidy affair at times, with Andy D'Urso dishing out cards like confetti.

There wasn't much Turkish Delight in evidence from Tugay, but the important thing was the three points.

Our midfield could do with strengthening, but I'm not a fan of Savage, who would have probably relished this niggling scrappy game and added to the yellow card count.

Later this year, in October, it will be the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar.

As Blackburn now have some clear blue water between themselves and their rivals at the bottom, I'm hopeful that by the time the anniversary arrives, the Rovers fleet will still be flying the flag at the top level.

If only we could do something about the current French invasion....

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.