SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Why Fergie Quit Rovers

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the Scottish league that well but wouldn't Hearts have been one of the favourites to finish 3rd usually? While Hibs generally do quite well too don't they?

Both leagues are pretty predictable when it comes to who will win. In Scotland it is one from two and in England it is 1 from 3. Considering that Scotland has fewer teams that basically makes it about the same. Having said that, basically every league in Europe suffers from the same problem, it is the nature of the money-run football. Every now and then you'll see a surprise but basically each team stays within their tier and will simply shift positions within there.

359769[/snapback]

You're pretty much spot on Eddie, with the odd incorrect fact. Hibernian were relegated 5 or so seasons ago, bounced back and have really established themselves as a force. Hearts didn't do brilliantly last season, but yes they are generally a top half side.

The status is pretty similar all across Europe, Serie A is usually won by 1 of 2 teams, in the last 14 seasons it has only been won by 4 different teams, and 2 of those have only won it once - identical to the Premiership over the same period of time. The other 12 are shared between AC Milan and Juventus.

In the last 21 seasons in Spain, 5 different teams have won it, but 17 of those 21 seasons it has been won by Barca or Real Madrid.

In the last 71 years in the Portuguese league, only 5 teams have ever won it - and the "big three" (Benfica, Sporting and Porto) have only ever failed to win it twice.

In the last 20 years in Holland, only 3 teams have won the league, and Ajax and PSV have won 21 Championships between.

In the last 20 seasons in Germany, Bayern have won it 12 times, the other 8 shared out between Dortmund, Kaiserslautern, Werder Bremen and Stuttgart, making it easily the most competitve top class league in Europe.

Not sure why I've just researched that, or how its connected to Barry Ferguson, but I had fun doing it biggrin.gif

as a true blue and a rovers fan i find it hard to read about

people slating super barry for leaving for rangers. do pundits and fans of all teams not consistently moan about players not playing for the shirt or not getting invloved? so why do you slate barry for returning to his childhood club, a club which he has supported all his life? he is right to say that rovers vs bolton isn't as big as rangers vs celtic because rangers celtic is the biggest derby in britain for one reason... because its down to religion. i would say then comes blackburn vs burnley and then west ham vs millwall as the next major derbied. after every old firm, there is clashes and i should know because ive been involved in many of them. so i say we sholud salute him for playing for a club which he wants to and unlike so many other teams, he hasnt been lead by the paper trail because he would have had to take a major pay cut to return to ibrox

In the last 20 seasons in Germany, Bayern have won it 12 times, the other 8 shared out between Dortmund, Kaiserslautern, Werder Bremen and Stuttgart, making it easily the most competitve top class league in Europe.

359777[/snapback]

and easily the best to go and watch a game in in terms of value for money.

I don't subscribe to the view held by a lot of people over here that if you're Catholic/from the Republic you autmoatically have to root for Celtic. Personally, I couldn't give a toss about either of the Old Firm.

All the same, it's hard no to have a chuckle about the plight of much-missed 'wee Barry'. Ulster-Rover, his crimes are pretty clear. He's signed and appointed club captain, gives a catalogue of forgettable performances (although some fans at the time were reluctant to admit this, given that we'd spent over 7 million quid on the little weasel), when he discovers that he's not up to it at this level he bleats for a move back to his 'beloved boyhood club', one that he was quite happy to walk out on a year previously. And to cap it all off, he refuses to play for us in a cup game as blackmail.

After the money, wages and faith Rovers invested in him as club captain, all 'Bazza' could do was belittle the club with comments about our 'big game' being against Bolton. This was tosh, and not something that appeared to concern him too much when he way waxing lyrical about his Premiership dream move when we signed him.

In short, he wasn't good enough and getting shot of him proved a success all round. Pity there's been a downturn in the fortunes of 'the wee man' this season, and just as Rovers are starting to realise their potential. Shame, really. Then again Baz, there's always the possibility of a cup clash at Arbroath to look forward to!

I don't subscribe to the view held by a lot of people over here that if you're Catholic/from the Republic you autmoatically have to root for Celtic. Personally, I couldn't give a toss about either of the Old Firm.

All the same, it's hard no to have a chuckle about the plight of much-missed 'wee Barry'. Ulster-Rover, his crimes are pretty clear. He's signed and appointed club captain, gives a catalogue of forgettable performances (although some fans at the time were reluctant to admit this, given that we'd spent over 7 million quid on the little weasel), when he discovers that he's not up to it at this level he bleats for a move back to his 'beloved boyhood club', one that he was quite happy to walk out on a year previously. And to cap it all off, he refuses to play for us in a cup game as blackmail.

After the money, wages and faith Rovers invested in him as club captain, all 'Bazza' could do was belittle the club with comments about our 'big game' being against Bolton. This was tosh, and not something that appeared to concern him too much when he way waxing lyrical about his Premiership dream move when we signed him.

In short, he wasn't good enough and getting shot of him proved a success all round. Pity there's been a downturn in the fortunes of 'the wee man' this season, and just as Rovers are starting to realise their potential. Shame, really. Then again Baz, there's always the possibility of a cup clash at Arbroath to look forward to!

359944[/snapback]

Correctomunday! And imo reading the tea leaves it was a planned scam with GS involved too.

Souness has certainly made a habit of over-paying for Rangers players. Is there any evidence that he was pocketing from it?

In an article considering Rangers' plight this morning, The Guardian points out that firing McLeish and his backroom team will leave Rangers over £1m worse off and that Rangers' finances were already in the have to sell to buy category.

It doesn't list Ferguson as a saleable asset- "Only Dado Prso, Fernando Ricksen and Thomas Buffel would command decent transfer fees, so how Murray juggles the finances is the biggest question hanging over the club at the moment."

Obviously Ferguson is damaged goods playing for a club in serious decline. Murray's only hope of salvation is that Romanov's ego or property-developing instincts wreck Hearts.

after every old firm, there is clashes and i should know because ive been involved in many of them.

Ooh where to start!!! Cheap shot first- the boy obviously can't afford a computer with capital letters, doesn't understand punctuation and is a little hazy on the finer points of grammar.

Second point. I've been to most of the recent derbies and managed to avoid being involved, or in fact seeing any clashes! Maybe they go on, but it's a case of "seek and ye shall find"- so I don't.

As for religion, most of my Celtic-supporting friends are atheists (ie born Prod- escaped) so while it may be an issue for some, it really isn't for many nowadays.

As to what Johnny_ireland said, hear hear (apart from not giving a toss about either of the Old Firm- which I obviously do!)

Souness has certainly made a habit of over-paying for Rangers players. Is there any evidence that he was pocketing from it?

In an article considering Rangers' plight this morning, The Guardian points out that firing McLeish and his backroom team will leave Rangers over £1m worse off and that Rangers' finances were already in the have to sell to buy category.

It doesn't list Ferguson as a saleable asset- "Only Dado Prso, Fernando Ricksen and Thomas Buffel would command decent transfer fees, so how Murray juggles the finances is the biggest question hanging over the club at the moment."

Obviously Ferguson is damaged goods playing for a club in serious decline. Murray's only hope of salvation is that Romanov's ego or property-developing instincts wreck Hearts.

359953[/snapback]

I wonder just what state the finances and the club would be in without Mr Souness's considerable input? huh.gif

I wonder just what state the finances and the club would be in without Mr Souness's considerable input?  huh.gif

360154[/snapback]

Considerably poorer.

Can we compile a list:

Us:

Barry Ferguson (£?)

Lorenso Amaruso (£?)

Barcodes:

Boumsong(£7m?)

Liverpool

Southampton

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't happen to a nicer person. biggrin.gif

Is Ferguson captain? If so he's not doing a very good job.

He also keeps mentioning that 'the players' are performing yet there seems to be no personal admission of his own recent poor performances. Still that's not a thing that's likely to come from the wee man.

Hopefully at least one of hibs or hearts can keep up a good run of form.

he is right to say that rovers vs bolton isn't as big as rangers vs celtic because rangers celtic is the biggest derby in britain for one reason... because its down to religion. i would say then comes blackburn vs burnley

359854[/snapback]

But he was implying that Blackburn v Bolton was our biggest derby when it isn't!

The Infamous Glasgow Rangers

1. If the Glasgow Rangers ever win the Coronation Cup - they will be the 2nd Scottish club ever to do so.

2. If they ever beat their deadliest rivals 7-1 in a major domestic cup final - they will be the 2nd Scottish club ever to do so.

3. If they ever reach the European Cup Semi-Final 4 times - they will be the 2nd Scottish club ever to do so.

4. If they ever win every competition they enter in one season - they will be the 2nd Scottish club ever to do so.

5. If they ever reach the European Cup Final - - they will be the 2nd Scottish club ever to do so.

6. If they ever reach the European Cup Final with eleven home bred Scots - they will be the 2nd Scottish club ever to do so.

7. If they ever reach the European Cup Final twice - they will be the 2nd Scottish club ever to do so.

8. If they ever WIN the European Cup - they will be the 2nd Scottish club ever to do so.

9. Having won 9-in-a-row - it must be a great feeling to know that for the NINTH TIME IN A ROW - you are

And always will be

2nd

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.