BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton 0 V Rovers 1

Stead made the soccernet team of the week... although I found this comment a bit strange laugh.gifblink.gif

"And the way you took your goal on Sunday against Everton shows what a talent you are. I was so impressed. You hadn't scored since April, were in the middle of the mother of all goal droughts, and yet you were still confident enough to slam that low shot past Brad Friedel from 20 yards. Wonderful."

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dickov was captain

ohmy.gif I don't know how you came about that answer!

Anyway, well done, Stead.

I was absolutely delighteed for him.

His confidence was extremely low, and you could tell earlier in the game, but after that goal he played exactly what an asset he can be.

More of that, please!

Brad Friedel had a brilliant game today, but I noticed one frustrating thing about him: he rarely comes off his line for corner kicks.

There was one corner earlier in the first half which was merely a metre off the line, but he just stayed there and let the players fight it out.

And finally, an honourable mention must be given to the unsung hero, Mokoena.

He was in there, really getting stuck in, and he headed away quite a few crosses in the corner box.

He needs to improve his creativity and vision, though.

His passes were usually hasty and given to someone very close by, even though they might be in trouble themself.

fantastic performance from the side.

hats off to todd, nelsen and reid as they were a class above.

stead was poor in the first half but after he got the goal he started to do some good things, amazing what confidence can do to you.

thommo had some good turns and touches, needs to get more balls into the box - but i spose its hard when playing 1 up.

proud day!

The problem is that when he was getting balls in the box, there wasn't anyone to get onto them. This was his best match of the season, and it was one of the few times I saw a Rovers player consistently putting balls in the box. One time he put a perfect one in, if we only had someone a little taller on the pitch. I was wondering if this was one of the smallest starting lineups we've ever had.

fantastic performance from the side.

hats off to todd, nelsen and reid as they were a class above.

stead was poor in the first half but after he got the goal  he started to do some good things, amazing what confidence can do to you.

thommo had some good turns and touches, needs to get more balls into the box - but i spose its hard when playing 1 up.

proud day!

The problem is that when he was getting balls in the box, there wasn't anyone to get onto them. This was his best match of the season, and it was one of the few times I saw a Rovers player consistently putting balls in the box. One time he put a perfect one in, if we only had someone a little taller on the pitch. I was wondering if this was one of the smallest starting lineups we've ever had.

I wouldnt say that at all! Johansson, Nelsen, Todd, Pedersen, Friedel, Moko and Stead are all over six foot. In fact I would say it was one of the tallest lineups we have had in recent years. Reid, Niell and Flitcroft are hardly tiny either

We have put out a side where every player bar the goal keeper and the centre backs has been under six foot at the start of the season (Niell, Gray, Ferguson, Tugay, Thompson, Emerton- might be over six, Gallagher, Dickov). This is from memory so I might be wrong but I do remember noting it.

As for Thompson he had some good moment s today, especiallywhen he got ot the by line only to step on the ball. If he could have cut it backit would of been a real oppertunity.

What I particularly enjoyed about yesterdays game was how fluid every thing was. Reid and Thomspon would interchange a bit, Pedersen drive up front, Flitcroft drift out to the left. One advantage of 451 I suppose, more leeway to do this sort of thing with Moko holding things together.

Dickov was captain

ohmy.gif I don't know how you came about that answer!

Try the BBC website ...

Tis incorrect sir.

Toddy was the first of the pitch and the Rovers website reports that "Todd returns to captain the side".

Anyway.

How good is Steven Reid? Ive been whining all season that I'd like to see him play more, he finally got his chance today and played out of his skin. Though Thommo looked a little rusty at the beginning of the game but played much better in the second half.

Am well chuffed for Stead getting the goal, the pass to set it up was suplime and the finish was excellent.

Reporter talking to Alan Brazil on Talk Sport this morning about yesterdays game, said when the stadium emptied all the Rovers squad came out onto the pitch to do a 20 minute warm down, that finished they all got into a huggle in the centre of the pitch (ala Chelsea this season) and started shouting and cheering each other the victory had meant so much to them, the reporter was very impressed by the team spirit that is obviously running through the squad. Hughesy seems to have galvanised the players into a happy bunch which I don’t think we’ve seen since the heady day’s of 94/95

Edited by Derbyshire Blue

Stead quietens critics- have to say that I saw the game differently Drog. Those balls played into Stead he could control were controlled and he invariably found another Rover with his pass. Many balls were 50/50 or worse but Stead made life very difficult for the Everton player he was up against. We were back to the forward providing the first line of defence yesterday- Stead's greater height making him more of a troublesome opponent than Dickov.

Obviously the leitmotif for Rovers in all forms of the media this season is thuggish. The more they bleat on about it, the more refs feel free to brandish the cards against us.

We were undisciplined at the start of the season under Souness but also were on the receiving end of some ridiculous decisions.

Now, we are clearly highly robust- as no doubt the voluble managers of Arsenal and Man U will moan about in the next four weeks- but not a dirty side.

Stead quietens critics- have to say that I saw the game differently Drog. Those balls played into Stead he could control were controlled and he invariably found another Rover with his pass. Many balls were 50/50 or worse but Stead made life very difficult for the Everton player he was up against. We were back to the forward providing the first line of defence yesterday- Stead's greater height making him more of a troublesome opponent than Dickov.

That was true but only in the second half. He had four decent oppertunities to trap the ball in the first half and he misjudged them all.

Still Im not complaining, heres to a resurgent Stead!

Good report from The Times here- "anything better than relegation is a bonus" is a Moyes quote straight out of the Souness school. The difference is that Souness tended to practise what he said.

Quote from the Times: "Blackburn, such a soft touch at the start of season, have been transformed by Mark Hughes into fearsome opponents whose lingering fears of relegation should be dispelled sooner rather than later. Rugged and aggressive, but also high on individual talent in key areas, they are suddenly a side that no team, least of all a woefully inconsistent Liverpool, will relish facing."

Edited by Flopsy

Fantastic performance by the lads. I'd not been to Goodison before and was suprised how poor the ground was. Also didn't think much to the Everton team who just seemed to hoof it forward at every opportunity. There were loads of positives today:

Tommo proved that although he can't play centre mid he can certainly play on the right

Reid showed that he can play a more central role and was my man of the match.

Mokeana showed he can take over from Flitty as the hard man in midfield (although we've also got Savage). Ok his passing was limited but no more so than Flitty's and I lost count of how many attack he disrupted. There was that botch with Bent getting past him but Brad who had a great game made a crucial save, that would otherwise have seen a different game.

Stead showed why we brought him. Couldn't fault his effort before the goal though he was rather ineffective until he scored. The goal was sheer class though. Much improved after scoring, and it was great to see the guy looking so happy.

Nelsen and todd looked a really class partnership.

The only gripes were Flitty showing his age (though still put in a decent performance) and us briefly sitting back when scoring. Fortunately this only lasted for about five minutes but if we could cut it out altogether it would be nice. Nissa also showed he can defend well but was poor going forward. Hopefully a rejuvinated Gresko will come into lb next season.

In second half we more than matched Everton and a deserved three points to take us into a difficult period of fixtures.

rover.gif fantastic result,and what i have been praying for all season happened,stead on the pitch without dikov.

now i know he is the hero to many,but dikov is a very poor player,every challenge is a foul,either by him or on him.much as i will upset posters i hope he is out for a few weeks,so the team can blossom.the contious fouls do nothing but upset the rythm off the game. tinykit.gif

Fantastic performance by the lads. I'd not been to Goodison before and was suprised how poor the ground was.

That horrible away bit certainly puts me off going. The view is awful. Combined with crap parking facilities, recent and future FA cup ties and the general malaise and pessimism running through a large part of the population of the town all contributed to the poor attendance.

I dont think it will work but if the fans spend the money saved in the shop or better still on a bring-a-friend policy for home games and the position will seem so much better.

Two things.......

1. Nice to see a Rovers team play so physically (definitely not dirtily ....something that needs putting on every mboard and web site that can be thought of) and competatively. As GS used to put it "they are proper men" (I bet he is well surprised at how much like his ideal of 'proper man' they have become without him! rover.gif

I have never seen a team in blue and white be so strong and resiliant in tackles and throughout the game even when faced with a team like Everton. In fact its fair to say, and I'm sure that Moyes will agree that we out 'Evertoned' Everton.

2. When in 4-5-1 formation playing ch behind Mokoena must be the easiest job on the park. Whilst he may be prone to rushes of blood at centre half whenplaying deep midfield he protects the defence as well as anybody that I can remember.

Great performance and result yesterday. The best team won – we went there with a game plan, worked to it and out-muscled Everton in every area of the field. Credit to Hughes for his tactics and well done Jon Stead – a real confidence booster for a key time of the season. Lets hope he can bag a few more now!

I'd just said to my brother, "Surely he can't go all season without getting a single goal?" Then literally 15 seconds later he scored. He's been kidding us on. Just wanted to be the man to save us from relegation again. biggrin.gif

Althroughout yesterdays sky football. Richard keyes was harping on about everton this and everton that and how they "might be a goal down but they always seem to come back ".At one point he refered to the bully boy tactics and put the question to Andy gray, who in fairness replied that we were not bully boys but a good competing team. Nice one ANDY GRAY .

Very good result yesterday. And I have to say considering we had lost 2 of our 1st choice midfielders and also our top goal scorer after 15 minutes, we did brilliant.

The organisation and determination that Hughes has instilled in the players is there to be seen and we are no longer a push over with a dodgy defence. Nelsen and Mokoena were very good signings in January. I just cant wait for this season to be over and for us to be safe, and then for us to start building our new team in the summer. Things are looking much better for us and I think Mark Hughes has taken his 1st Club management job very well.

Special praise yesterday for every single player on the pitch in the red Blackburn rovers shirts. Nelsen, Todd, Mokoena, Reid, Stead….. the list goes on.

All the team played yesterday like they were proud to be wearing the badge of Blackburn Rovers FC.

Well done lads! Bring on the Scousers!!!

How good is Steven Reid? Ive been whining all season that I'd like to see him play more, he finally got his chance today and played out of his skin.

couldn't agree more - When Emo was playing well earlier in the season I could see why Reid wasn't getting in but when he's come on he's been quality every time I've seen him play; big, strong, quick and as he proved with the pass today he can play a bit. He's not the finished article yet but I think if hughes decides what position to play him in he will only get better.

Great result !!!

Don't remember going that mental celebrating a goal.......errrrrr except maybe when MGP scored the winner last Tuesday !!!

When done to Jon Stead....the relief was soooooo evident.

Big credit to Toddy and Nelsen....superb yet again. Nissa looks better and even Lucas' form seems to have picked up.......a settled defence was always going to be the key and I think Hughes has now found it....plus Brad seems happier now he has the same 4 infront of him !!

Thommo also played better....the wing suits him better than centre-mid, and the Axe had a solid game and made some good tackles as did Flitty and MGP who both worked hard and ran their socks off

But I must give the final honour to Steven Reid....one of his best performances in the blue n white shirt.

Well done to Rovers, Hughes and his team....a crucial result that will go a long way to help securing Premiership football for another season

Reporter talking to Alan Brazil on Talk Sport this morning about yesterdays game, said when the stadium emptied all the Rovers squad came out onto the pitch to do a 20 minute warm down, that finished they all got into a huggle in the centre of the pitch (ala Chelsea this season) and started shouting and cheering each other the victory had meant so much to them, the reporter was very impressed by the team spirit that is obviously running through the squad. Hughesy seems to have galvanised the players into a happy bunch which I don’t think we’ve seen since the heady day’s of 94/95

That was probably Chris Cooper from Talksport who saw that. I think Stead was in the middle of that huddle to be honest. I only caught the tail end of it, hopefully the Rovers World guys pitchside managed to press record on the camera quickly enough to catch it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.