BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

I agree to a certain extent, but football isn't like any other job. You are in the public eye, you earn huge amounts, you have supporters who pay large amounts of money to come and watch you kick a ball about for an hour and a half once a week and all you ever do is play football. He could do us a bit of a favour and not make comments like that.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather have players that want to play for the blue & white halves myself

Me too, but as long as he is playing well and show 100% commitment then OK. What I found funny was Brad's comments about Lucas having no loss of form. Wasn't Brad having to pull off some of his stupendous saves cos of Lucas' boo boo's for a couple of years when Neill was average.

I watched an Aussie football show last night (Total Football) which had Neill and Cahill as guests. They're over here at the moment playing Paraguay on Saturday and Bahrain on Wednesday.

Neill was asked about his feelings after the world cup and he said he wasn't very happy to be coming back to Blackburn after the world cup. We've heard this before from him, and he's hardly the biggest ambassador for Blackburn.

He was also asked about his on/off transfer to Liverpool and he said that it was out of his hands on deadline day whether Rovers accepted the offer. He said it was a big complement that had been paid by Rovers rejecting the bid, but it was a bitr frustrating when he could have played for such an iconic club as Liverpool!

Regarding his future, he said that all he can do is knuckle down and put in performances at Rovers and for Australia and hope that opportunities like that come again.

Having read the story in LET from Friedel about Neill being pursuaded to stay if we go well in the UEFA cup, its a nice sentiment, but from what the man himself said last night, I'd be very surprised if it happened.

If I was Hughes I'd be looking now for a replacement. I'm sure he is!

Yeah ... he definitely wants out.

This from a press conference the day before the Aus-Paraguay match with Lucas having just been named Socceroos captain.

"I'm hopefully in just as good a position (as back in August) where as if I play regularly and play well, those kind of opportunities will present themselves again in January and if not in January, I'll be a free transfer in June.

"I'm confident that if I keep playing well, something similar to that (another transfer opportunity) will happen."

He is an ex-Rover still in a Rovers kit.

Whilst Ive been very impressed with our wantaway skipper in the last few games...he really does shoot hiself in the foot sometimes. Its blatant that he wants out so why does he have to broadcast it in a press conference AGAIN?! I would like Neil to stay because he's a very good prem defender and it would take a lot of cash to replace him-but we need a worthy captain in my eyes, with the Admiral (obviously our club captain when fit), Friedel and Sav leading the way.

I still say take the captain's armband off him at Rovers - a captain should be the club's ambassador - from his comments in Aus it sounds like Rovers are being portrayed as a stepping stone club. We have won the PL and are currently above Liverpool anyway!

Don't tell us, he's been a lifelong Liverpool fan... just like Bells/Pennant/Crouch etc

yeah, how dare he honour his contract but be looking for some alternate place of work once his contract ends. How dare he how dare he.

If Lucas carries on playing as he is, and then leaves at the end of his contract, I would say thanks Lucas, good luck for the future.

People need to realise that they do it all the time in the real world so footballers doing it isnt actually that much of a crime.

However if he refused to play, or threatened to score own goals, Hang him upside down by the toes and let Abbey have his way with him for a bit. That'll teach him

Correct Flopsy. Some people on here dissing him need to mature. He has a work contract until next summer when he can then do as he pleases. Hughes wants him to stay and not be drawn away by the bright lights of big city clubs

1. because he rates him.

2. because we did not have a ready made replacement in the summer.

I believe that Egyptian ch is due in January and that Oijer can play either ch / rb so if we can replace the fading Michael Gray we should be OK when and if the aussies go.

I may be re-stating my comments from earlier-but after actually reading what he said Lucas definitely needs that armband taken off him. I know Hughes will look a bit of a fool, but perhaps taking the armband off Lucas is best for the club now. For youngsters coming through our club, and for the younger players in our team-it hardly shows ambition that our Club Captain desperately wants out. It's become obvious that he was given the armband in an attempt to change his mind...and it is not working. Don't get me wrong, as i said earlier he's giving 110%, but captain? No way.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

If he doesn't want to play for our teeny club then he can f*** off. Why on earth is he captain when he clearly wants out?

He's been playing well this season admittedly. Hopefully such performances will raise his stock so we can get rid for a good price in January.

Edited by Rovermatt

Let's keep it how it is and sell him in January and buy a new left back.

That's the most sensible option and the one the one that will happen.

Good luck for the future Neill, have a good last few months, you have been an excellent servant for the club.

Let's keep it how it is and sell him in January and buy a new left back.

That's the most sensible option and the one the one that will happen.

Good luck for the future Neill, have a good last few months, you have been an excellent servant for the club.

He may have been a servant for the club on the pitch but sometimes I wish he would keep his thoughts to himself. Ok so he wants to move on, no need to pimp himself in the media, I'm sure his agent would do a good job of that. If he can concentrate on playing well, he'll do both Rovers and himself a favour, as we should get a healthy fee to bolster the squad in January and steadily climb the table.

Loyalty is seems to be somewhat lost in todays game, although I would like to have players committed 100% to playing for Rovers. I think Hughes might need to have a word with Neill when he gets back, to stop him making these comments every time.

I'm very dissapointed with Lucas' comments today, there was no need to state that he wants out...But I still belive he's professional enough to do the job on the pitch for Rovers this season, Hughes won't let him go in january. He's one of the best defenders in the premiership, and definately on of our best players atm! I've always defended him being made captain, but I'm not sure if I will defend that decision anymore after todays comments...

:(

I think we'll survive without him, won't be too big of a loss. Most definitely though Hughes should strip him off the armband, and hopefully we'll get good money for him in January.

unless we can fuel up a bidding war and hold teams at ransom with a high price tag i can't see us getting good money now for him.

4 million i remember was the offer in august, we are looking at the most half of that now :(

Take the armband off him and let him sit in the reserves. Simple as that. How long is Hughes gonna keep him as captain? Right up until he leaves? Surely that has to have a negative effect on the team. He needs to do it now, regardless of how well he's playing.

We need a response from the club, either the manager or the board, soon! This situation where our club captain makes statements like this does not help matters especially with the current "feel good" surrounding the club. This cannot be allowed to continue. I know loyalty can no longer be relied upon and you could suggest that it never has, in the past it was kept under wraps. In my view player power highlighted in such a manner only disheartens supporters more and provides excuses for non attendance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.