BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

Henry Winter, in his report on the Arsenal Liverpool game yesterday, suggested that Benitez will follow up on his interest in Neill to sign him in January to replace the "hapless" Finnan.

So if he doesn't go to Barca, or Milan, he might go to Liverpool!

Radio Lancs were reporting that Neill would spend most of the week on the treatment table because of a slightly torn hamstring.

straight swop for finnan and they can have him in my opinion. but if he were really that hapless, perhaps benitez might throw in warnock as well? :lol:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father in law is a st holder at Anfield, word is that Rovers ahve all but agreed a deal with lfc for the Neill and Warnock deal to go throgh, it involves a small cash adjustment !

there are serious doubts about bellamy lasting the season at Anfield due to a bust up with J A Riise in training, it would appear that he may find himself on a loan deal come January as theya re seeking to bring in at least 1 new striker.

Most of the people on here are season ticket holders at Ewood, and most of them are pretty clueless regarding transfer plans for Rovers? Well, except Pleasure of course. Let's hope Bellers show Riise his nightclub self then, if not to make the move back to Lancashire easier, then at least to teach that monkey a lesson..

Who was Stephen Warnock's hero when growing up? David May?

The eternal reserve is almost twenty five and has still made less than forty starts for Liverpool yet is still happy as third back-up or whatever.

If he has any ambition to be anything more than a bench-warmer then he should be looking for a move away from Anfield. Ewood would see a good bet for him I'd wager. Now would be the perfect time for him to leave...and to come to Rovers.

Let's be honest...not like he'd have too much competition for the left-back slot here.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Whatever people think of Neil he's still one of the best full backs in the prem.

Way over-rated SR.

He is one of the best full-backs in Europe at going forward, but defensively he's like Borat in the second hand shop...... a total liability. He can have some impressive games, but at times he can get skinned, rashly take people down and end up giving away free-kicks in dangerous areas and more importantly bringing the team down to 10-men.

I was disgusted at his agents comments back in Aug/Sept about Lucas will not be signing another contract at Rovers. IMHO i would have either cashed in on him for £3million or let him rot in the reserves and loose any form that he had. No player will ever become bigger than the club, unless you are Brad Friedel!!

:lol::lol:

Personally a straight swap with Warnock for Lucas and £500k would be a great bit of business. How much do we know did Liverpool actually offer for him in the transfer window. If it's the reported £4-5million I would have sliced their arm of for it.

Personally a straight swap with Warnock for Lucas and £500k would be a great bit of business. How much do we know did Liverpool actually offer for him in the transfer window. If it's the reported £4-5million I would have sliced their arm of for it.

Media reports suggested it was well under half that figure.

Money's no good if you can't buy a player to replace the one you lose. The timing of Liverpool's bid left us no chance of a replacement unless they'd let Warnock leave as part of the deal. That's the purely practical reason why it couldn't be allowed to happen. with time to thrash out a deal if anyone wants Neill in Jan then it may well happen. Lucas Neill himself said it wasn't the right deal at the right time for us and he accepted that.

I'm just going to be honest about this- I have seen Warnock play a number of times yet can't really remember anything significant about them. I know he has played for the under 21s but then so has Jay...

Anybody feel qualified to give an assessment of the quality of player he is? Ideally we are looking for someone with a bit of pace and good positional sense. Not so bothered about how well he get forward, although that would be a nice bonus.

Provided he is not tragic then it should be a decent piece of business, especially if you consider that Neill has lost his place to Emerton and we will recieve £0 if he stays till May.

I've looked at a Liverpool message board, and did a search for Warnock here are some quotes on him I found from posters, the scousers dont seem too bothered if they sell him

It also seems the words Warnock and Injury are found alot on their board, just from skimming posts. Im sure someone more informed will know of Warnocks injury record better though.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum

-------------------

-Would not have been prepared to give them cash plaus Warnock but IMO Warnock is very very average and if he wasnt a local lad he would have been moved on already.

Has no chance of getting in the england squad again as he will never be a regular here

-England are short of left backs otherwise I very much doubt they would have called the then (and now) third choice left back for LFC. I don't mind Warnock but he is not LFC or England quality for me. I think Neill would have been a fair straight swap.

-Warnock - below par again I thought, troubled a bit out wide very early on but soon got on top again, came on a lot towards the end of the game with some strong off the ball running, I like his hurry-up 5-a-side style footie normally but last night it called for a bit more composure

-There was one clip from yesterday when one of there lads knocked the ball past Warnock and left him for dust. When you see the replay Gonzo was already moving before the other guy to cover Warnock and he won the ball. And he can cross with either foot.

-Warnock: Not good enough despite some admirable qualities

-Yesterday, he had Warnock. I think Stephen's a great little player, don't get me wrong, but he's not the sort that is likely to make overlapping runs. So, I propose that, when Aurelio is fit, we play him at left-back and Riise in midfield.

-Players that are likely not to score:

Carra, Finnan, Momo, Warnock.

-Aurelio looked reasonably comfortable at left-back but gives us more options going forward than Warnock, as well as another option for a set piece

-I'd be looking to pay about £1.5m tops if i was a manager and wanted Warnock.

-I wouldn't even pay that, given his injury history.

-------------

Edited by wakefieldrawks

Interesting thought - even though I am huge fan of Neill - at the moment (IMO) Bert is playing as well at RB as any player I have seen at Rovers. Bert maybe prone to the odd defensive mistake - but so is Neill.

This all begs the question - are Liverpool bidding for the right player ?

Personally I would like to keep both Aussies at Rovers - but at the moment, it looks as though we will be retaining the better of two excellent RB's

A potential Neil replacement Gareth Bale has again been linked away from St Mary's. It would show good ambition from the club if we went for him-but it is obviously dependant on how much he is available for (Teamtalk mention 7million but this is surely some way off) and who goes in for him. Out of the big four I could only see Arsenal possibly needing a left back.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

A possible Neil replacement Gareth Bale has again been linked away from St Mary's. It would show good ambition from the club if we went for him-but it is obviously dependant on how much he is available for (Teamtalk mention 7million but this is surely some way off) and who goes in for him. Out of the big four I could only see Arsenal possibly needing a left back.

Lads,

You can have a go at me for suggesting this. But Chrissy Baird at Southampton is in great form. I've been at the last few Northern Ireland games and he is playing the best football of his career. He was MOM against Latvia and had strong performances against Denmark and Spain as well as playing well at Southampton.

An amazing talent who is very composed defensively at right-back. Rarely gives away a free-kick and will tackle hard. Has the versatility of being able to play at centre-half, left-back or as midfield anchor man. Not too often I would suggest a fellow player from my country, but this lad will soon move from the South. 18 Caps at 24 is quite an achievement.

Lads,

You can have a go at me for suggesting this. But Chrissy Baird at Southampton is in great form.

Were we not linked with Baird when he first made his debut for Southampton? Sure I read that somewhere - this was back in the Souness days of course.

Were we not linked with Baird when he first made his debut for Southampton? Sure I read that somewhere - this was back in the Souness days of course.

That is news to be LW.

Never hear this, but he has matured and progressed steadily in his career. Never would doubt Baird in the Premiership. In the past I would have questioned him, but he not afraid to be pitted in amongst the best. I know it's only Latvia, but he stood firm and gave his best performance I've seen from a defender in absolute ages.

That is news to be LW.

Never hear this, but he has matured and progressed steadily in his career. Never would doubt Baird in the Premiership. In the past I would have questioned him, but he not afraid to be pitted in amongst the best. I know it's only Latvia, but he stood firm and gave his best performance I've seen from a defender in absolute ages.

dont forget he can play in a holding midfield role, as he showed so well against spain

A possible Neil replacement Gareth Bale has again been linked away from St Mary's. It would show good ambition from the club if we went for him-but it is obviously dependant on how much he is available for (Teamtalk mention 7million but this is surely some way off) and who goes in for him. Out of the big four I could only see Arsenal possibly needing a left back.

chelsea might want another left back u never know

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.