BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

Think I'll email the local rag and ask why on earth there is no mention of this in today's issue!?!?

If the LET is really behind our team they should be shouting this from the rooftops and telling people - and now....not a day before or whenever!

I couldn't agree more mate. in the days of peter white, (god bless the man) he would have made sure that this pricing policy would have made headline news in the telegraph. it is plainly obvious in my eyes that the current people at the telegraph are not rovers fans. they should be promoting the club at every given opportunity, because the football club is such an important part of the town.

damn, i wish i wasn't 12,000 miles away!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I get my apologies in now? I won't be at the Bolton game or the Carling cup against Chelsea, despite being a season ticket holder and the Chelsea tickets being reasonably priced as it's half term and I'm on holiday and the UEFA cup game has pushed the Bolton game to Sunday. Hate missing games but can't leave it till Monday to get a ferry.

You don't have a positive gene in your body do you?

Of course the Rovers will lose out financially compared with charging Category A but the Salzburg game showed that there might just be some price elasticity of demand. Rovers have deep enough pockets to see if they can re-stimulate it.

Well done to the club's management.

Boo to the grumbling curmudgeon with his stupid fixations.

So you'll be going then will you Mr Lar de dar Gunner Graham? Or is this board going to continue as your only link with BRFC? If you can't go, then never mind a cheque for £15 will suffice if your resolve is as strong as your protestations toward me. Given your age I would have thought you would have had more oil in your lamp than to act like a premature ejaculation schoolboy. I said 'caution required' and imo it bloody well is! You obviously know sweet FA about the current mood and the attitudes of the supporters in this town, both active and lapsed. Imo any increase in attendances will last until the next bad spell / relegation tussle / relegation and then what do we do reduce prices yet again?

The undercutting of the season ticket on the Bolton game, and any frustration that may cause, must surely be offset by

A-Good chance of big crowd,and a more enjoyable afternoons atmosphere

B-Judging by the interest in the two away games in Europe, the season ticket holders will have the best chance of actually getting a ticket for Rotterdam or Krakow.

I'm trying to remember the last time we had 30,000+ in the ground - anybody?

Whilst I don't think the Bolton initiative will get us back to those levels, if it tempts an extra thousand people who actually see that we are playing good football and decide to come again then it will be worth it in the longer run.

I'm trying to remember the last time we had 30,000+ in the ground - anybody?

This from a post I did April 13,2006:

"Here are the top ten crowds as I can find them since the 94/95 season:

1) Liverpool 24/2/96 30,895

2) Newcastle 8/5/95 30,545

3) Fulham 11/5/02 30,487

4) Man Utd 22/12/02 30,475

5) Man Utd 12/5/99 30,436

6) Bolton 3/2/96 30,419

7) Newcastle 26/12/96 30,398

8) Man Utd 23/10/94 30,260

9) Liverpool 13/9/03 30,074

10) Tottenham 30/12/95 30,004

(EDIT:FOUND A MATCH V NEWCASTLE 30,717 8/4/96 2nd highest)

Of these crowds, 20 of the top five and 3 of the top 10 have come within the last4 years.Also,3 of the top five are the last home match of the season.Just for yucks and grins, here is the second ten again as i could find it:

11) Newcastle 31/1/00 29,946

12) Man city 7/5/00 29,913

13) Arsenal 15/3/03 29,840

14) Man Utd 22/8/01 29,836

15) Arsenal 27/4/96 29,834

16) Celtic 14/11/02 29,698

17) Man Utd 1/5/04 29,616

18) Newcastle 26/12/04 29,271

19) Liverpool 28/8/02 29,207

20) Man Utd 22/1/03 29,048

EDIT MAN UTD 28/9/95 29,843

I'm sure there are holes in these number(meaning some games I've overlooked have a greater attendance than these listed).does anyone know if the club has an official list of the top attended matches?"

stop talking about the bolton game ....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

im not here for it bea cuse of the sunday kick off

anyone know if theres footy shown in goa?

Abs - there's loads of footy in the beach shacks in Goa mate. I'd be very surprised if they didn't show the Rovers/Wankies game in India. On Saturdays, they usually show three games. I don't think I've ever missed a Rovers game whilst on holiday in Goa.

-

The reduction in ticket prices is an excellent idea for this game though. I'll be attending this game simply because it fits into my 'acceptable price bracket'. I would imagine a fixture of this nature is exactly the type of game that many pay-as-you-go fans will be sitting on the fence so to speak. The fact that they have reduced prices must surely mean it will sway the fans towards attending.

However, pricing the tickets competitively is one thing, but advertising the fact is another. The club should be throwing up adverts everywhere - from billboards in Blackburn to bus stops in Burnley and Preston. Let's get some numbers in!!!

I reckon at least 25k for this match.

Brilliant by Rovers, and proof that there is a refreshing attitude from those running the club which really is committed to tackling our challenging crowd situation.

I hope it's a massive gate and I also hope the local pubs which would normally show the game illegally join in the spirit of the day and refuse to transmit for once.

Agree totally just seen this and think it is a wonderful transformation in view from the rovers. Too much competition locally so you already have a desirable product now price it correctly to gain optimum payback. Full stadium = increased vocal support and increased revenues in program/catering sales etc. This is a bold gamble and one which I sincerley hope pays off big time hopefully wanderers fans will also turn up.

Been hearing about the local pubs showing the games spoke to my brother last week and the lazy arse watched both the city and wigan games in the pub in Ossy. How can rovers compete with the 'walk on' fans who instead would rather pay the money behind the bar rather than travelling to the game. I suspect that 15quid still would not see him attend and thus the whole incentive could fall flat on its face due to foreign tv coverage.

It looks like the clubs is actually listening!

If this is true & tickets for the Bolton game are going to be £15, then i take my hat off to them.

Agreed cletus. I welcome this initiative by the club and I hope it's a success.

Crowds of 18,400 against Man City and 17,800 against Wigan were a big disappointment and I'm sure that price was a major factor in those disappointing attendances. The club needed to try something new and I welcome their move.

I hope also that eventually the club will take a reassessment of pricing policy overall for Category A+ games, as I personally believe the club got things wrong on that score this season.

Nothing much more to add to that but Bravo blackburn Rovers for actually meeting the problem head on. I for one will start going to the rovers games again. Previously a 200 mile round trip and £30 a ticket priced an ordinary working joe like me out.

The job is only half done so it's now up to us to literally put our money where our mouth is. I only hope and pray that the fans respond to this and pack the ground out. I for one will be doing my bit - just hope I can get a ticket for the Rovers End :(

Best news I've heard since we signed Alan Shearer - I feel very proud to be associated with a club willing to listen to their fans.

On the other hand maybe we should boycott the Bolton game and see if we can beat them down to a fiver a ticket with a free pie for the Man U game. ;)

right you rovers men, Bolton fan here!

first of all i can only congratulate the powers that be for actually doing something radical for this match!

all i will say is if you men don't sell out the ground for this one at £15 and £5 to get in you never will and i'd also add don't ever moan about the price of getting in being the reason for folk not turning up again!!!

from a Bolton perspective i'm assuming we've been given the full end if required and to be honest based on interest so far i'll be surprised if we don't sell out.

it's being viewed by many as a great opportunity to show BWFCs board that if you want full houses bring the prices down!

saturday against liverpool was the first time we haven't sold out against them since we got back in the prem, reason being £31 to £39 for pay on the day supporters as it was a 'category A+' game, simple as that.

i'm the first to admit that last season our following at yours was poor, not excuses but charging £30 or whatever it was for a game just after xmas which is on sky at 5.15 with an away trip for 4,500 BWFC fans to marseille coming up it wasn't a surprise!

as i said and this applies to both sets of fans, there are NO EXCUSES for not filling the ground at £15 and £5 to get in. if it's a sell out then both sets of directors are going to have to look long and hard at each clubs pricing policy!!!

So if the Salzburg game drew 20k, then we can at least add 5k for Notlob and then probably another 2-3 k of fans for the Sunday vs Thursday game.

Good work Rovers.

Unfortunately I can't make the game and I also won't be sending the club a cheque for £15. I will pay whatever ticket price is asked of me when I do come over in Novemeber.

right you rovers men, Bolton fan here!

first of all i can only congratulate the powers that be for actually doing something radical for this match!

all i will say is if you men don't sell out the ground for this one at £15 and £5 to get in you never will and i'd also add don't ever moan about the price of getting in being the reason for folk not turning up again!!!

from a Bolton perspective i'm assuming we've been given the full end if required and to be honest based on interest so far i'll be surprised if we don't sell out.

it's being viewed by many as a great opportunity to show BWFCs board that if you want full houses bring the prices down!

saturday against liverpool was the first time we haven't sold out against them since we got back in the prem, reason being £31 to £39 for pay on the day supporters as it was a 'category A+' game, simple as that.

i'm the first to admit that last season our following at yours was poor, not excuses but charging £30 or whatever it was for a game just after xmas which is on sky at 5.15 with an away trip for 4,500 BWFC fans to marseille coming up it wasn't a surprise!

as i said and this applies to both sets of fans, there are NO EXCUSES for not filling the ground at £15 and £5 to get in. if it's a sell out then both sets of directors are going to have to look long and hard at each clubs pricing policy!!!

Well said that man! And I hope Rovers do make the WHOLE of the Dawen End available to Bolton fans, because if as Prestonwhite says they have the demand at their end we would be stupid not to do it.

No doubt Wanderers FC will request more tickets from Rovers if they sell out the original allocation and demand is still high.

Anyway here's hoping for a cracking local derby; almost as good as playing the Dingles! ;)

I think the club have done well on this.

Its a problem that is not just at Rovers - just look at the following that City / Wigan / Chelsea brought - poor.

I know a few Bolton and Rovers fans who are coming to the match - hope its an almost sell out.

I think the club have done well on this.

Its a problem that is not just at Rovers - just look at the following that City / Wigan / Chelsea brought - poor.

I know a few Bolton and Rovers fans who are coming to the match - hope its an almost sell out.

I hope it's a complete sell-out; but just let me get my ticket first!

Initially Bolton have been given the lower section of the Darwen End as the Club hope we have sufficient demand from the Rovers fans to fill the top tier of the Darwen End.

If Bolton do sell out their lower section and we still have space in the home end, the Club may extend the away section.

So let's hope we have a top tier full of Rovers fans!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.