BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham United V Brfc 3 - 1 Wham

Ozz

Uttlerly gutted today...such optimism, and then this. A few players need a big look in the mirror. And I'll start with Paul @#/?. 3-1 down, the fans are gutted and Dickov loses his head and two foots Konchesky (I think). Well done Paul...as if the media havn't got it in for us already, you go and make us look like sore losers. You really are a grade A* nobb, and as Revidge just said if Hughes ships him out before August I will not lose 1 moments sleep. Gallagher, Jemal or my fine self would never disrespect the Rovers badge in that manner. I now come to Savage, and I'm sorry to those who have doubted him before. He really has to start performing NOW otherwise that is the worst 3 million ever spent by the club. He tries way too hard and is trying to prove a point, but basically making an arse out of himself. Brett (hottest property in Europe) Emerton: Don't make me laugh please. Thommo is shocking, but this lad does take the biscuit at times.

This result proves that we need new blood, and at least 2-3 of them before the 31st. If we continue with this squad, our only hope is to play 4-5-1 all season long, bore the fans and pray that Nelsen is fit all season...because if we don't do any of this with the current bunch we will be in a big big dogfight. Before people start saying that the hammers arent bad, they finished 6th in the championship, and have added only a few second rate players to their team. Believe me when I say that they'll be bottom four.

Well at least we've learnt one thing, pre season counts for absoloutely bugger all!!!

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could put Shevchenko and Adriano up front in this team, and they wouldn't get a sniff of the ball. No service = no goals.

338786[/snapback]

Absolutely.

During the first 30 mins in particular when we looked more in control, before West Ham gained their confidence in a new league, our final ball kept being mishit time after time, leaving Bellamy in particular to chase hopeless balls. After Savage's hopeless challange and yellow card, our midfield started to collaps and we saw the effect of this as the game went on. It went from decent to totally ineffective in the space of 15 mins.

As for Todd, I don't think he had too bad a game, apart from his mistake on Sheringham's goal. More than anything I think having Mokoena beside him instead of Nelsen unsettled him. Mokoena was terrible, pure and simple.

Watched the game on TV from Singapore with my West Ham supporting friend... and I am apalled.

First of all, Mokoena - center back, my left pinky toe! I think he ended up being just slightly worse than Todd today (who happened to be awful). Emerton contributed absolutely nothing except an anti-assist. Pedersen's utter lack of pace was all too evident today (in fact, the whole team's pace was shocking compared to Wham's). Kuqi and Bellamy didn't do diddlysquat either. The only players who weren't terrible were: Friedel, Matteo and Neill.

Thank goodness Harewood sucks so bad. That man couldn't finish his own lunch.

I hope Nelsen is the answer to our problems or that Upton Park just really isn't our hunting ground, because we were played off the pitch.

Here is my analysis of today's game, including a brief evaluation of every player (plus the manager), for what it's worth (probably not much)...

Well, I have to say, I was jumping for joy when Andy Todd put us in front against West Ham in the 18th minute. It really looked like we were well on our way to victory since we were playing so well. However, the game fell apart from after that with Rovers conceding three goals, and I put the sole blame on the players for not putting up a decent fight.

On the tactical front, I am not convinced that we can sustain playing a 4-4-2 for 90 minutes, because defensively we are far too exposed. Admittedly there is a bit of an argument to the contrary due to our first 45 minutes, but despite playing well early on and keeping a clean sheet in the first half, there were a couple of occasions when we were completely muddled defensively and could easily have let two goals past us: West Ham's poor finishing was the friend that saved us.

In addition, we really did miss Ryan Nelsen today. For a player who had no previous English Premiership experience, he really was the reason for our fantastic defensive performances in the second half of last season.

Now here is my analysis of the manager and each player.

Mark Hughes (7): I thought his management and tactical analysis was fairly good today. It was the players who failed to carry out their duties, and I seriously hope he gives the players a good spraying.

He started off with a 4-4-2 formation, and that seemed to work well, since we were on top for the first 25 minutes or so. In the second half, he saw the game slipping away from us at 1-1, and so he decided to take Shefki Kuqi off and Vratislav Gresko on, playing a 4-5-1 with Aaron Mokoena as the defensive midfielder.

It was a move that put me at ease, since I am very comfortable watching us play like that, but it was not to be with Mokoena having an unusually bad day and was responsible for West Ham's second goal by being beaten by the goalscorer he was marking.

After that, Hughes took off Mokoena for Paul Dickov to put us back into a 4-4-2, which I thought was the right move to try and get back into the game, but we could not get things back together after that.

Hughes gets negative marks for keeping an unfit Craig Bellamy on the pitch for the whole 90 minutes.

Brad Friedel (7): He let three goals past him, but that was more the fault of the defence than his own, so he gets a high rating amongst a lot of poor ratings.

Lucas Neill (8): I thought he had a very good day in defence, and added a lot to Rovers' attack down the right.

Now this is where the depressing part comes...

Andy Todd (5): He was beaten for pace regularly and really did not look up to the task. I have the suspicion that he may very well be hampered by injury, since I cannot recall him being very slow. I am sure Rovers supporter who watch him more regularly could tell me, since it is hard to notice a whole lot only watching a few games a year from overseas. He only gets his five rating for the goal he scored.

Aaron Mokoena (5): He was doing a halfway decent job on Ted Sherringham in the first half, roughing the old man up, but upon moving to defensive midfield, he really looked poor and was responsible for West Ham's second goal.

Dominic Matteo (6): He was not all that bad at left back and then at centre back. He did not stand out for me, which was a good thing today, actually.

Brett Emerton (5): He looked alright in the first half, doing some good things, getting in amongst the play, but got progressively worse as the game went on and in the end looked absolutely awful. His terrible pass from the bottom right corner into the defensive box gifted the Londoners their third goal, which sealed the game.

Steven Reid (6): He gets a six for being solid, but no more.

Robbie Savage (6): He gets a six for being solid and for making some good tackles which helped us along at times.

Morten Gamst Pedersen (7): I am being generous in his rating because he did provide the corner kick cross for Andy Todd's goal, and he did trouble the opposition quite a bit too, but he was far too inaccurate most of the time.

Shefki Kuqi (6): He was mostly invisible and anonymous, but did some decent things and held up the ball a bit. His touch needs working on.

Craig Bellamy (5): He was missing all game and should not have played the 90 minutes.

Vratislav Gresko (6): He was a substitute and did alright at left back, like Matteo, but I wish he would stop whinging at the referees and get on with the game.

Paul Dickov (4): He did nothing in his short time on the ground but whinge at the referees, which really ruined any continuity in our game. He was a bit unlucky to be red carded for his late tackle, which was not vicious, but I am glad he got it all the same because his constant whinging infuriates me and it will be good not have him off the team for whatever number of games he is out for. He is one of those players who I have a love/hate attitude toward and today I really did hate him.

Edited by James No. 7

were doomed you cant take anything positivre out of todays game so much for being solid at the back what a joke think everyone is being a bit hard on bellamy and kuqi as they didnt have anything to work with i would of brought savage of and put tugay on he would of gave us the creative element that reid couldnt provide today hopefully we will do better against fulham hope matty gets a run out or gallagher now @#/? is serving a ban and hughes should fine him 2 weeks wages its the only way to cut this out

The defeat was bad enough but the sending off has made the day complete.

Just as we wanted to start the new season with a clean slate and prove to the London media that they got us all wrong last season and we are not really a dirty side Dickov gives em more fuel for the fire.

Why, why, why?

Was it because we had just gone 3-1 down? Was it because he had been left on the bench and so thought he had a point to prove? Or was it because he is simply an idiot?!

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

it was the first match of the season and they showed it live on TV. I was so elated to see Blackburn live. but it wasn't meant to be a happy saturday night. seeing them going from 1-0 up to lose 1-3 to a championship team like west ham is quite demoralising.

it's clear that hughes had wanted to go 4-4-2 for the new season after signing 2 strikers. those pre-season results seem to have given him some confidence that this will work. apparently the result tonight proved otherwise. but i don't think he will give up 4-4-2 for 4-5-1 that fast. not at least for the next home game.

the rovers tonight really look like relegation contenders without anyone really outstanding. still it's only game 1, let's wait for game 2.

ph34r.gif

I've slightly calmed down now but I think today has been quite a shock to the system and a wake up call for all concerned with Rovers.I mentioned when the team was announced that I thought we had a strong squad out today that should be worth at least a point?....mmmmm unsure.gif

Just goes to show you can take nothing from the pre-season form etc.

Anyway, onwards and hopefully upwards,a win next week and this board will all be smiles again.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

I was listening on radio rovers and the commentators made an interesting point which could well proove to be valid, the ref was giving nothing our way at all, possibly as a result of the press our style of football has generated and we were paying the price.

If that is the case dickovs done our reputation no good at all and may further hinder our ability to receive impartial refereeing.

from what i heard on the radio we were dire in the second half and can hardly remember more than a handful of forays into there half (based on what i was hearing).

what price two strikers instead of a striker and a defender i wonder......

That's it, season's over after 1 game - relegation here we come! Aiming for 17th...

If we can't beat the Hammers, who can we defeat? ph34r.gif

We were so comfortable in the 1st half... how can we just fall apart like that? huh.gif

Listened to the game on Radio 5, Kuqi seemed decent & don't understand why Hughes took him off.

I missed their equaliser - what happened?

Don't think we'll be seeing much of Dickov by the sounds of it - what the hell was he doing diving in 2-footed? Let's hope that Jansen comes back from injury soon.

it was always going to be difficult today against a newly promoted team. but it is only the first game and i think Hughes will get it sorted but will be interesting to see the formation at home next week.

On a positive...maybe this will prompt the board to put their hands in their pockets and fund some more signings which are obviously needed for this formation to work!

How many times have we lost on the opening day? cant remember any.

Barclays Premiership Table - August 13 2005

1 Charlton Athletic

2 West Ham United

3 Manchester United

4 Tottenham Hotspur

5 Aston Villa

6 Bolton Wanderers

7 Birmingham City

8 Fulham

9 Liverpool

10 Manchester City

11 Middlesbrough

12 West Bromwich Albion

13 Arsenal

14 Chelsea

15 Newcastle United

16 Wigan Athletic

17 Blackburn Rovers

18 Sunderland

19 Everton

20 Portsmouth

doesnt make pritty reading if we lose the next game we could lose all confidence and go down hill hope hughesy can lift spirits in training and get them playing as a team sure he can i hope.

What is Dickov doing? I just don`t understand what is going on in his mind.The guy is a disgrace and should be taken to account by the manager.A simple fine means nothing to the modern day player and after all the flack of last season which this club received he goes and does that.I hate this kind of football and it "kills" the game in more ways then one.Hughes has still got no creativity in the team, after admitting last season on more then one occasion that he had no one with the "key to unlock" and this will be a major problem if not addressed before the transfer deadline.

Yes it was a bad result and a big let down after all the optimism that has been building. But talk of being doomed and of being ashamed to be a Rovers fan is just going way over the top.

People need to keep things in perspective and realise that the rebuilding job is an on-going process. We are not going to turn into top six material overnight.

Hopefully the one good thing to come out of today's game will be the the realisation that we need to further strengthen before the window closes.

were doomed you cant take anything positivre out of todays game so much for being solid at the back what a joke think everyone is being a bit hard on bellamy and kuqi as they didnt have anything to work with i would of brought savage of and put tugay on he would of gave us the creative element that reid couldnt provide today hopefully we will do better against fulham hope matty gets a run out or gallagher now @#/? is serving a ban and hughes should fine him 2 weeks wages its the only way to cut this out

338798[/snapback]

That is possibly the longest sentence ever.

Who cares what happened today, we lost to a newly promoted team who had that little bit more extra about them because of the occaision.

If we lose to Fulham and Spuds lets be worried but not after one game

Dickovs probably done us a favour by getting that first Red card out the way so the press can have their 'dirty Blackburn day' and be done with it for a few weeks

It was the first time this season that I have sen the team. I watched the game in the Roebuck in Leyland and I was the only Rover there. No one else seemed interested in the game. First half was quite good to watch. Plenty of endeavour and crisp passing and toddy`s goal. terrible mistake on the right as we attacked let in Wham who scored through Sheringham and we lost a lot of heart. generally not impressed with the team. if Kuqi is a prem striker then I know nothing about football and matteo has to give way to Gresko. Todd is too slow for the top flight and we need a young Tugay. Savage was OK but we badly missed Nelsen. It is difficult to predict after one game but it was very disappointing to lose to a not very good team. We do need a creative player and a quick centre back but lets see what happens against Fulham.

I came on here a few weeks back saying what a bad first match the computer had thrown up, A newly promoted team away( not to mention West Ham, where we've only won once since 1963).

My reasons were as follows-

Their confidence would be sky-high following a recent promotion,and good results.

The ground would be packed to the rafters.

West Ham would have every player in a small squad available for selection.

New players in the squad would be making their debuts and would be out to impress.

I concluded by saying I would take a draw if offered one at any time, In my book an away point is a very good point in the circumstances.

I got several replies all more or less saying I was talking ###### and the three points were there for the taking as long as we could be bothered to turn up!

It looks like the team had the same idea!

I just hope some of these wiseguys are reading this now.

Without more creativity it,s going to be a long season, we can't afford two none tackling wide players , the Axe doesn't look like he can play centre half, and Matteo doesn't look like he can play left back- none of this is exactly news to anyone he watches Rovers on a regular basis.

See you all against Fulham.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.