BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa 1 Blackburn Rovers 0

It sounds like it was yet another bad day at the office for Rovers. Even the dogs in the street knew that Baros was going to score on his debut and he didn't let us down. According to Matt Le Tissier Villa had two or three other clear opportunities to score. We were supposed to have done better when Jansen came on, but without causing Villa any real problems. Kuqi had two good chances, but f**ked them both up. It was obvious before Kuqi signed, that he wasn't up to it and his performances so far, despite how hard he works, have proven this. I hope that today's performance has made it clear to Hughes that some of the players at the club, aren't good enough and signings need to be made before the deadline, if we are to have a successful season.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to laugh when the front page of the programme versus Fulham had a picture of him with the dubious quote ''KUQI COUP!!'' unsure.gif

....Meanwhile Andy Cole,a quality player who was heavily linked with a return to Ewood scores the winner again for City this afternoon.

We missed the boat.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Just watched game (delayed broadcast). First half was really bad. That said, the second half was fairly good... We actually managed to play a decent 442 for quite a while, and then even a 433 for a bit. The sad thing is... our best striker on the night was Johnson. I've tried to give Kuqi a chance, but hell, he is really awful. We're really missing a good passer of the ball in the middle of the park. And our set pieces were terrible today too. Onto the ratings (I find this fun for some reason)

Friedel - 6 - I agree he messed up for Baros' goal. And he scared me by staying up for those last two corners... with pacy strikers like Phillips and Baros, could've been disasterous.

Reid - 6 - Didn't impress at right back again but then again - I'm unimpressed with him in general.

Todd - 6 -Just getting the feeling he's too short/slow to cut it..

Nelsen - 6 -Average.

Matteo - 6 -Average.

Emerton - 6 -For a player who can't defend, he doesn't contribute enough to the attack to justify his first team spot.

Flitcroft - 6 -Hasn't changed since the last time I watched him play. Contributes nothing.

Tugay - 6 -Solid game, but it was his stray pass that led to Villa's goal.

Savage - 6 -HE DIDN'T GET BOOKED? Tidy on the ball, but dreadful set piece delivery.

Pedersen - 6 -Solid, nothing special, bad corners.

Kuqi - 3 -Runs all over but that doesn't excuse his awful performance.

Gresko - 7 -I was pleased with him - defended well, won quite a few headers for a small guy.

Jansen - 5 -Seemed good for about one minute then faded into obscurity.

Johnson - 7 -Produced our only shot that Sorensen had to deal with, speedy little bugger.

Disappointed with the result, but can't say we deserved anything after our first half performance. Why can't we play well for both halves instead of just one?

like tsnuf, i've also just seen the delayed telecast of the game on tv. first half was awful, the second better, but nothing like we know we can play. personally, i was surprised to see tugay starting. i would have thought mokoena was more suited to today's game, and besides, i didnt think tugay's legs would see him through 3 games in a week. flitty did NOTHING of note during his time on the pitch. matty looked rusty. but a 'positive', if we can take anything from it, is that gresko did impress (well, at least me). he won his tackles and headers well, and looked more like the on-loan gresko. hopefully, he'll keep up his form.

as for kuqi... i've seen all 4 games this season now... and i can come up with only one comment... 'Ashley Ward, version 2005' - the only modification on the original being he's got some pace... but crucially, only when he's WITHOUT the ball. to me, we seriously need reinforcements.

Just back from brummyland.

We got battered in the first half, we were crap and should have been 3-0 down at half time. After the break we were much improved and were all over them for 35 mins. The villa fans after the game said we were the better side 2nd half.

Kuqi - Ran his socks off, had a very good game just couldnt score! He needs to learn to take his chances because at this level he wont get many.

Savage - I thought aside from a couple of wayward passes this was one of his best games for rovers. He gave 110%, never stopped running and put in a couple of good deliverys.

Pedersen played well, Jansen didnt really do much when he came on, Johnson looked better. Reid did ok at right back but il be happy when Neills back. Flitty was slightly anonymous as usual.

Overall im not too disapointed bcause we looked good 2nd half, if we had Bellamy and Dickov available im sure we would have taken something. But with injured players or not, if Hughes wants a European finish were gonna have to start picking up points in these games.

as for kuqi... i've seen all 4 games this season now... and i can come up with only one comment... 'Ashley Ward, version 2005'

342304[/snapback]

Don't worry, soon the the goals will flow and Kuqi will be star of the season. I love these hughe players, they never let you down, I'll put a £10 on him getting a hatrick next match... COME ON KUQQQQQQQQQQI!

Savage - 6 -HE DIDN'T GET BOOKED?  Tidy on the ball, but dreadful set piece delivery.

Kuqi - 3 -Runs all over but that doesn't excuse his awful performance.

Was the tv showing a different game? I dont agree with that at all. Kuqi is on his own upfront, having not done this before its dificult for him and hes done a very good job. He played well today just needs Bellamy/Dickov besides him.

Just got back from Villa, awful first half but we were much better second half and deserved a point. Its worrying how little quality we have in the team, we dont look like there is a goal in us. Savage was abysmal today he gave the ball away far too much, the boy just cant pass! We looked better when Jansen came on but nobody wanted to shoot! We need a crative midfielder and fast!

Well not going to dwell on the negatives so early in the season. I will more than make up for it once those dark nights set in no doubt.

So Positives:

No red cards

Better second half

Another game closer to Bellamy's return

Unbeaten at home

It wasn't a drubbing by any means

Still players to come by the sounds of it.

So another miserable Sunday, but nevermind.

Edited by OscarRaven

Just got back from the two pubs ont eh way back 30min trip took 3 hours biggrin.gif

I have to say we were very very unlucky, even though my villa mate thinks they defended well and deserved the win!

The first half was probally the worse i have seen live and the second half one of the best. With the only clear guilt edged chance falling to kuqi and how he missed i will never know!

My Match ratings were:

Friedel 9 - fantastic, not to blame for the goal more todd and the midfields fault

Reid 8 - great foward runs and defensively ok

Todd 7 - Solid

Nelsen 9 - second half saved us when we needed it

Matteo 7 - why did he get booked, did ok at LB

Emerton 8 - good second half great passing

Flitcroft 4 - where was he?

Tugay 6 - few clangers, good spreading of the ball

Savage 7 - not physical but held together the team

Pedersen 10 - best player by far deserved to create the goal to draw it!

Kuqi 6 - how did he miss? good upfront on his own, needs afit bellers to play with!

Gresko - average

Jansen - impressive

Johnson - damn fast!

If the stewards would have let me leave at half time i would have, but the second half was great! Good atmosphere from travelling rovers. Hope we get what we deserve in future!

jemal looked good when he came on, but because hes such a little guy his being brushed off the ball led to philiips hitting the post at the other end which should have been a goal

We desperately need a midfield player with a bit of skill to take on people and create something. If only thompson could get back to his england form days he'd be like a new player.

Why doesnt MGP try and take on more players? whenever he does try he always succeeds, hes got the skill use it.

I had to laugh when the front page of the programme versus Fulham had a picture of him with the dubious quote ''KUQI COUP!!'' unsure.gif

....Meanwhile Andy Cole,a quality player who was heavily linked with a return to Ewood scores the winner again for City this afternoon.

We missed the boat.

342297[/snapback]

Hardly a case of missing the boat-he should never have been allowed to leave in the first place. We haven't a cutting edge of any description since he was moved on. Ridiculous.

Lack of creativity in central midfield is a major problem if we continue to play 4-5-1 in Bellamy's absence. Tugay cannot sustain his form playing every game and otherwise our options are limited - I mean Flitcroft? The guy is a has-been and offers so little to our team it's untrue.

Kuqi may or may not be Prem standard but playing up front in our current team is one hell of a thankless task.

There are few more painful sights in football than a smug David O'Leary. dry.gif

Edited by rover6

Why is Moekena not playing instead of the lumbering Flitcroft? He is not remorely close to the player he was 7 years ago . A complete waste of space.

As for Kuqi it beggars belief he was signed insread of Andy Cole. I suppose it was the wages which just reinforces my point (in another thread) that the people who own this cub only have an ambition to wind it down (or sell it). Just like the airline Flybe they're trying to flog off. Seems they just want an easy life collecting rents from commercial property.

Just watched the delayed telecast over here. I just got to say;

No doubt we lost the match but looking at the qualities we had in our squad atm being a mid-table team at best. These are the matches we would have easily lost in the season..

In fact during GS days, we would just sit deep and clear every single ball on sight throughout and still lost the game. mad.gif

Under Hughes, take away that disappointing first, we took initiative, dominated second half creating chances, forcing villa to play counters most of the time.

In the end we got more possessions and corners.

The efforts and commitment they put in to me is top class. thumbs-up.gif

They definitely gets more fitter and tactically organise under the guidance of Hughes and co.

I am confidence just give Hughes another season or two to get in the players he wants, we will be up there challenging with the elites.

Under his reign, the future only gets brighter!! rover.gif

Edited by RoverJoexx

Give it time, things are starting to look good for Rovers. I actually think had Reid played in midfield, we would have turned our possession into chances and won the game.

We lost this game because of Lucas Neill.

"LUCAS NEILL'S A FOOTBALL GENIUS"

i wish everyone would stop going on about Kuqi...typical rovers fans. Give the guy a chance with a run of a few games with a striker partner for christs sake. The guy has just put in 3 good performances in my opinion, the only thing lacking was a goal. We know he can finish, weve seen him score 3 good goals in friendlys and he scored 20 goals last season in the championship. Yes its a different league but its still a tough league with very good teams in it and hes an international. Give him a chance.

Just a quick thing that struck me, what was with the very anit-american barracking of brad for about 2mins leading up to the goal?

Not the best thing to be doing to your own players! Yeeha? rover.gif

342343[/snapback]

They werent taking the mick mate, they were just having a bitova laugh. They were saying stuff like 'go team' and other so called 'soccerism's'. It wasnt anti american barracking in any way shape or form, just a laugh.

Went to the game today and the only positive i can take out of it, was the excellent performance of Gresko went he came onto the pitch. Superb and should take the position off matteo now.

Oh and Sav's dead balls were @#/? all game, 11 corners and countless free-kicks, all but about 1 of them were pish, just like Kuqi's finishing!

• Backroom

Villa had 4 or 5 clear cut chances whereas we had none. Make of that what you will. Face it, we played awful today, and you can't redeem our players no matter what you say. Pederson was not a 10, more like a 6, I've seen far better. His corners were awful, and the only memorable thing he did during the entire match was nutmeg a villa player in the 80th minute or so. Bad performance from the whole team today, though I will say Gresko impressed me the short time he was on the pitch. we desperately need someone to put away the goals. Living in Ipswich, I knew and know that Kuqi is and will never be premiership standard, I don't care if he wa son a free, I don't care if he's only had 4 games and no service, HE IS NOT PREMIERSHIP STANDARD, and will never be. We will be disappointed with him week after week and will have to wait patiently for Bellamy to return before we can rely on our strikeforce.

Today was an away match, which is always bad luck for us anyway, and as was said on soccer saturday, it's been 39 games (40 now) since we've gone behind and come back to win the game, so I think we have a reason to be pessimistic, because our team is crap at coming back from a goal down, and 40 games now backs me up with that statement. We are part of a select few group of fans who can legitimaely say we're going to lose or at best get a draw when we go a goal down, how sad.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.