Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

George Best R.I.P.

den

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP Mr Best.

I am only 26 and cant really comment on his playing ability because I havent seen him play (apart from the odd highlight) but from what I have seen he looked like the mutts nuts (American, my last comment might confuse you. The mutts nuts is a good thing in this case tongue.gif )

Edited by Cocker

No.

Don't you think the best player Britain ever produced should be entitled to that?

363156[/snapback]

actually allot of people think he was a waste of talent, i'm not saying i do, so if he was given a gift, he abused it

i'll remember Best, best for saying on live TV "I like to screw", that kind of sums up his attitude

i have a couple of friends from uni who said they saw him p1ssed out his mind down the local every Wednesday

Edited by chris

This minutes silence thing-what a load of crud. No disrespect to Mr Best and family, but where are we going to draw the line here? Maybe have one before United/Fulham /Hibs/New York Cosmos etc games but the whole country?

I think its over the top.

363164[/snapback]

What's the harm though? He gave somethng to the industry and now the industry wants a minute silence.

http://www.grabme.net/dl.php?key=4a58e9b81...ddd4d28606233b9

Just click on 'Run' and wait for it to download (about 4 minutes).

363147[/snapback]

Thanks for posting that Flopsy.

Left me breathless watching it (makes me almost thankful Rovers got relegated before colour TV!- a couple of shots of Blackpool chasing Best's shadow there).

I think people have a problem with the one minute silence becuase it is becoming increasingly common and as such is devalued. I can understand this at his clubs but not every ground in the PL. I stop my car if I'm travelling on Armistice Day, that is a moment to mark, but not every time a footballer, film star or whoever dies. If I was at a game I wouldn't be thinking of Best, which to my mind is against the whole point. That moment's silence should be to recall and reflect on the person, event etc. I don't feel a footballer, no matter how great, from another club warrants this action.

I used to enjoy Best on Soccer Saturday with Jeff Stelling and Rodney Marsh.

Stelling: Do you remember what happened in 1981?

Best: I can't remember last night.

Best: We would go out and get into trouble, we would be fighting and have girl problems and drink problems

Stelling: Yeah but enough about last week.

Excellent link that, well done Flopse. It should be compulsory on here to watch that before posting on this thread. 'The 5th Beatle' came from an era where there were genuine characters in sport, a far cry from the overpaid primadonnas we have to put up with now. Did you see him in the clip skipping through tough tackles, staying on his feet?

Made his money and spent it on booze and fit women.

Fantastic

Rest In Peace Georgie Boy.

Saw Best play for Man U v Rovers in 1964 at Old Trafford.United won 3-0 that day.

I'm pretty sure that was Georges first game against rovers. He was 17/18 years old and playing outside left against the most stylish roght back I've ever seen - Keith Newton.

It was obvious that Best was something special. You could see it even then.

Marvellous memories.

"Let us not remember the low points and instead pay tribute to one of the greatest footballers of all-time."

I hope that everyone involved with football will pay their respects to a man who was sporting legend. Forget the rest.

Edited by OscarRaven

Is my memory playing tricks on me or did I see Best at Ewood with Fulham in the mid-seventies. I certainly remember seeing Bobby Moore with Fulham (his last proffesional game) but can't remember if Best was playing or not.

363134[/snapback]

Yes I seem to remember that . Best didn't really do anything except for one moment when he flicked the ball up and volleyed against the bar . At least that's what I remember .

I used to enjoy Best on Soccer Saturday with Jeff Stelling and Rodney Marsh.

Stelling:  Do you remember what happened in 1981?

Best:    I can't remember last night.

Best: We would go out and get into trouble, we would be fighting and have girl problems and drink problems

Stelling: Yeah but enough about last week.

363172[/snapback]

George's best Soccer Saturday moments.

R.I.P.