SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

George Best R.I.P.

den

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. I do hope we don't have a national period of mourning though as he was only a very good footballer.

362986[/snapback]

As an icon of the 1960s and 1970s, the best player the British Isles has produced and certainly the best footballer I ever saw (and that includes Puskas, Di Stefano, Pele, Garrincha, Beckenbauer, Platini and Maradona), George Best was alot more than "very good footballer".

His death is bound to dominate the news for a few days, and quite right too.

From George's point of view it is sad that now we finally have 24-hour pubs he is unable to make use of them.

Obviously a generation gap here.

To the babies, he's just another rich alcoholic. To those who saw him, the greatest player ever to grace our game in these islands and one huge loss when he threw it all in so young. It is fair to say that the buzz about Rooney is probably only 10% of the excitement Best generated when he was the same age.

There were three mega-stars in the '60s- Eusebio, Pele and Best. That is the level of the player.

Obviously a generation gap here.

To the babies, he's just another rich alcoholic. To those who saw him, the greatest player ever to grace our game in these islands and one huge loss when he threw it all in so young. It is fair to say that the buzz about Rooney is probably only 10% of the excitement Best generated when he was the same age.

There were three mega-stars in the '60s- Eusebio, Pele and Best. That is the level of the player.

362993[/snapback]

Certainly a generation gap. More than likely one of greatest ever players, but its a bloody sport and theres life after it, and when its wasted by ones own competence why should everybody else feel sorry for him?

I wouldn't be angry if he hadn't wasted that dead bloke's liver. Whether or not he was a great football player is irrelevent in such matters. He was an alcoholic that will take 2 previously healthy and useful internal organs, and ruined them. That's the real tragedy.

Obviously I cannot comment on his efforts on trying to stop drinking, as I have never met him. He may have made valiant efforts to combat his addiction in vain, or he took the p_ss, made no effort and abused the new liver. We'll never know.

Best was a fantastically gifted player. As a person I don't know. I do hope we don't have a national period of mourning though as he was only a very good footballer.

362986[/snapback]

Agree with you 100% Paul. Unfortunately, you know that there will be such a period of mourning, *should* Mr. Best die.

His death is bound to dominate the news for a few days, and quite right too.

362990[/snapback]

Caveat emptor other readers. Jim has a background in media, and it is always in the media's best interests to extract the maximum coverage over what I agree is a public interest story. Obviously, I disagree with the "quite right" bit.

As unlikely as it seems, I hope Best can somehow pull through, and we won't have to have the discussion.

I think some people need to get some perspective - not necessaily people on this board, but people as a whole.

It is like Vinjay mourning as if a true hero had died when Eddie Guerrero, a bleeding wrestler, passed. Probably a good man, but not really deserving of such credit.

Best might have been a good footballer, even a great one, but that is all he was. He ###### away his life and lived irresponsibly. I do not think his death is the huge loss many are making out. I certainly do not think he warrants any national mourning.

Respect his footballing talents, but those who did not even know him can hardly grieve over his death.

Respect his footballing talents, but those who did not even know him can hardly grieve over his death.

363001[/snapback]

Why not?

Pretty arrogant of you to suggest that because you don't, no-one else should either. That goes for the Eddie Guerrero comment too.

No wonder the younger ones on here often get put into the collective group of 'pimple-faced oiks' (or whatever it was). Some people on here make us look like a bunch of ignorant wankpieces sometimes.

He's only the greatest player these shores have ever produced. Who gives a toss ey?

t those who did not even know him can hardly grieve over his death.

363001[/snapback]

It's nowt to do with grieving. Best's public profile when he was a player was greater even than Beckham's (plus ten times the ability). His passing will be sad but also the chance to celebrate the God-given talent of one of Britain's greatest sporting figures.

Incidentally, it has been reported that "Best carries a donor card and has said that when he dies he would like his organs to be used to help others".

Georgie boy always did have a sense of humour.

Is my memory playing tricks on me or did I see Best at Ewood with Fulham in the mid-seventies. I certainly remember seeing Bobby Moore with Fulham (his last proffesional game) but can't remember if Best was playing or not.

RIP George Best.

You were a great player and a loveable guy, a true entertainer on the pitch and someone the fans could always relate to.

I wasnt around to see you in action back then, but everything I have seen and heard makes me sure that you were one of the best natural talents ever.

Respected in all corners of the world

Edited by Bobby G

absolutely brilliant player. remember him having a fan club following him when rovers reserves played united reserves in the old central league. i think that he must have been all of sixteen.

i remember the goal that he scored at ewood in about 1965 or 66. he rambled past clayton, england and newton and then fired a daisy cutter into the corner past fred else.

RIP.