BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

George Best R.I.P.

den

Excellent link that, well done Flopse. It should be compulsory on here to watch that before posting on this thread. 'The 5th Beatle' came from an era where there were genuine characters in sport, a far cry from the overpaid primadonnas we have to put up with now. Did you see him in the clip skipping through tough tackles, staying on his feet?

Made his money and spent it on booze and fit women.

Fantastic

Rest In Peace Georgie Boy.

363173[/snapback]

Absobloodyexactly!

He only did what most of us would have done in that era with that kind of money.

Legend - only wish I could have seen him play live.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the clips that Flopsy linked to, I'm trying to think of someone in the prem at the moment, who would compare to Best.

The nearest to him, for his dribbling ability and directness, would have to be Duff. So if you think of Duffer at his very best - then think of someone twice as good, you've got it.

Yep I agree Den but then again I would also add Rooney to Duff.

he may be twice the size that GB was but when he runs with the ball he is virtually unstoppable.

the goals that Rooney scores are fantastic whereas Duffer struggles with the goals now he no longer plies his trade at Ewood

Ahh, Craven Cottage, circa 1975, them were t' days.

I can see Georgie now curling one round the flailing Paul Bradshaw from 25 yards in a 2-0 defeat if I remember rightly. Bobby Moore was playing too and Glenn Keeley got himself sent off for a stupid tackle (nothing new there).

It is entirely correct that there should be a minute's silence for the finest player to emerge from these islands.

Anyone who loves football would have loved George Best.

RIP.

A sporting legend. The greatest player Europe has ever produced.

363183[/snapback]

Steady Matt. That honour needs to be tempered by the fact that he never influenced the international scene like Puskas, Di Stefano Cruyff, Platini or Zidane. Best's talent was colossal without doubt but his strength of character was miniscule. A combination of his background, his looks, his personality, MU's recent tragic history, Busby, the swinging 60's scene and for the first time in football history huge earnings the like of which footballers merely 5 years before had never evened dreamt of all conspired to undermine his feeble personal integrity. Sure the media helped by elevating him to God like status to the public but George whilst eye candy and a matchwinner on any 1st Div field was never able to truly prove himself on the world stage. I have no doubt that he had the talent to do so but on the strength of character? I'm not so sure and obviously we will never ever know now.

His flame burned most brightly as a youngster and it was obvious that he was on the wane (although he had at least another half dozen years in him) when he chose to p1ss about and pack it all in and disappoint his army of fans (myself include). A God given talent that I was priveliged to witness but imo his useful life was over the minute that he hung his boots up.

I shall not mourn his passing away when so many others who desperately want to live are denied even a single chance..... never mind two through circumstance and not choice. A minutes silence at football grounds is both unwarranted and uncalled for.

George's favourite after dinner story was about the chap in room service at some top hotel who served champagne to him and some Miss World or other who said..........'Where did it all go wrong George?' Good laugh but it's no joke now is it Besty?

Thanks for the memories all the same.

btw anybody offer an opinion why the real talents are such weak individuals? Maradona, Besty, Gazza, .......Rooney???

Steady Matt.  That honour needs to be tempered by the fact that he never influenced the international scene like Puskas, Di Stefano Cruyff, Platini or Zidane.  Best's talent was colossal without doubt but his strength of character was minisculereal talents are such weak individuals?  Maradona, Besty, Gazza, .......Rooney???

363210[/snapback]

Load of crap, even by your standards.

I don't see why there is such reticence to observe a moment of silence for George. Of course for blokes of my generation and younger we have nothing to base it on as we were too young to see him play, but for the older generation/s who did see him, I think they'd have plenty to reflect upon. He was a footballer and a damned good one, so it is appropriate for a moment's silence at the grounds over the weekend. Now flying the flags at half-mast (I'm not sure what you guys do as a national sign of mourning in England) would be a bit over the top, but a moment to respect him as a player, is just right.

You could draw many parallels with George Best and Mickey Mantle here in the States. Don't know if Best was idolized as much as Mantle, but the same self-destructive lifestyle ended his career and life prematurely.

Thank you Flopsy for that clip. It gave me a chance to see more of Best than I'd ever seen before. I agree with the previous post that while his dribbling is outstanding what I admire most in that clip is that he got hacked multiple times and continued on. THAT is good football. THAT is how it's supposed to be done.

I used to go missing a lot... Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss World.

Felt so sad today hearing this ... probably because it was so inevitable as soon as he had to go back in. I don't care what people thought of him as an individual.

But I guess he was never going to make it to old-age, and if he had, I bet he wouldn't have been happy.

RIP GEORGE BEST.

As I am younger that most of you on the board, I never really got to see Best play live.

But, from highlights, he quite simply looks excellent and did he once put six or seven past Northampton in the cup?

Edited by frosty

Mixed feelings here, sad at the passing of a great, yet great sadness on a great who passed on being great.

Talented yes, great, can't sell me on that I'm afraid, too many are wrapped up in what could have been. The man chose his own destiny and it was not the one we all would liked to have seen. IMHO he could have been simply the greatest footballer of all time, full stop. It was not to be and it was George Best's choice. Perhaps modern councilling and treatment would have helped him, had it been available then but I am sorry greatness is not measured in small amounts, a third of a career or so.

Greatness is awarded to those who overcome ALL obstacles. God bless yah George you were a joy to watch but all those moments of brilliance are , for me, tempered by your long and painful demise. Yours was truly a heartbreaker.

I am sorry greatness is not measured in small amounts, a third of a career or so.

363226[/snapback]

Eh ?

He played first division football from the age of 17 to 27 - that's ten years at the pinnacle of the English game. How does that count as a third of a career ?

Anyone who does not recognise George Best as one of THE greatest players of all time does not know football.

One of the greats of football should have a minute silence. As his lifestyle...well, he didn't go around killing anyone did he? If he wanted to spend his money on the booze and the girls then fair play to him. As for not trying to give up the booze, he did.

Even when drinking made him physically sick he still needed it. When even a liver transplant isn't enough to stop someone drinking then you have to accept then well...that's life. Or, sad as it was for Best, it meant death. Have to feel for his father though who has now lost a son as well as a wife to alcoholism.

A great footballer first and foremost. Do some people always have to sit and judge? Forget whatever waste there may have been, remember the greatness.

RIP El Beatle.

Perhaps this will put the legend that was George Best into context.

I was travelling with my parents in Estern Europe in 1966 whilst the World Cup was happening.

I lost count of the number of times the conversation went:

"Where are you from?"

"England"

"Ah! George Best".

Edited by philipl

George did a charity match at Lytham once, the pitch was like a mub bath. He played in pumps and was the only one who could stay on his feet.

Just wonderful, wonderful balance.

Edited by burleyblue

I remember best coming to Ewood with Fulham, but what really sticks in my mind is the time Rovers played United in a friendly, being stood on the Blackburn End watching the players warm-up when all of a sudden a skinhead by the name of Gibby from the Griffin area (I knew of him because he’d given me a kickin whilst I was doing my paper round) jumped over the wall, ran up to Best with paper and pen, got his autograph, then turned to the Blackburn End and promptly ripped it up……at the time we all cheered, thinking it was hilarious…….sad really

RIP GEORGE.

By the way Richard burns who was a world cha.pion rally drivers has died age 34 from a long illness, now any death is sad, but 34 is very youngindeed so a special prayer goes out to his family

Edited by des

Eh ?

He played first division football from the age of 17 to 27 - that's ten years at the pinnacle of the English game. How does that count as a third of a career ?

Anyone who does not recognise George Best as one of THE greatest players of all time does not know football.

363227[/snapback]

OK jim you got me there, somewhat inaccurate. Not saying he was not great, just lamenting what might have been had he chosen a different path. Does not know football? Joker you aren't you.

Perhaps this will put the legend that was George Best into context.

I was travelling with my parents in Estern Europe in 1966 whilst the World Cup was happening.

I lost count of the number of times the conversation went:

"Where are you from?"

"England"

"Ah! George Best".

363238[/snapback]

I get the same thing here still philip with the Mexicans, but they say ahh Bobby Charlton

Is my memory playing tricks on me or did I see Best at Ewood with Fulham in the mid-seventies. I certainly remember seeing Bobby Moore with Fulham (his last proffesional game) but can't remember if Best was playing or not.

363134[/snapback]

I remember this game and Best did play. It was on 14th May, 1977.