BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy - Young Guns

There have been a couple threads on individual youth players--Matty Derbyshire springs to mind--but I wanted to get a feel for the youngsters that everyone can (realistically) see making an impact this year. In recent seasons we've seen the likes of McEveley, Gallagher, Johnson, and even Derbyshire (to an extent) break through to make an impact on the first team. Meanwhile, players such as Danns and Fitzgerald have failed to make the breakthrough and are now departed.

Which of the current crop of youngsters could make an impact this year? I would think that Garner is still a bit young, but it'd be interesting to see if Andy Taylor has an impact should Matteo and Gray depart (as has been suggested), and I wonder if those who have come back from loan to Cercle Brugge, i.e. Watt and others, will get a look in.

Does anyone who watches the youth and reserves regularly--or has any connection with the club--have anything to add?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that given that Hughes gave him a contract, that Derbyshire might play a few games. I also expect Garner to make his debut towards the end of the season maybe.

As for the rest, I'm not sure. Jerome Watt was meant to be the big prospect, I'm not sure if he's developed as much as they thought. I hope he has because he could be used as back up for Emerton.

rover.gif none are good enough,hughes will have to sign oap's like his predecessor tinykit.gif

332586[/snapback]

Does that mean you won't be doing your usual end of season "throw the kids in, the results don't matter" spiel this year?

Andy Taylor, LB and occasional CB, was called up to the first team squad at the end of last season, so when Vratty and McEveley reiterate their defensive frailties, and if Matteo gets injured, he may get a chance.

I really hope Jay McEveley gets a chance at centre half some time because that is his natural position and it would be a shame to see him disappear having only made first team appearances out of position.

Ralph Welch has a very good chance,the X Liverpool academy star was very highly thought of in merseyside before he was snapped up by Rovers.Last year he was outstanding in most of the games,especially all the big games.Along with Keith Barker and Joe Garner, Ralph was outstanding IMHO and will be worth keeping an eye on.

The Academy had a wonderful season last year winning the Academy national final and also reaching the final of european cup in switzrland.

user posted image

And before the question is asked.

Top Row L-R: Frankie Fielding, Andreas Arestidou, Joel Byrom, Gari Rowntree, Mark King, Keith Treacy, Keith Barker, Raffaele De Vita, Ryan Woods, Luke Jones, Tareck Sakali

Front Row: Eddie Nolan, Joe Garner, Tony Kane, Craig Barr, Bryan Hodge, Gary Stopforth, Ralph Welch.

Edited by Lee

It is important that we have young players coming through the ranks, because hopefully one of them could be the new Damian Duff. Joe Garner and Matt Derbyshire seem to be the most promising players, outside the first team and Sergio Peters seems quite promising by all accounts. Jemal Johnson made a couple of appearances last season and I hope that some of the other players get a chance. I think that our league position, will dictate how often the young players play.

Of the reserves Jemal looked the most promising of the youngsters IMO. Perhaps along with Gally it'd be good for him to go out on loan somewhere. I'm sure that the guy could wreck havoc in the lower divisions as he constantly looks a menace for the resevrves. Even if hes shoved off the ball for most of the match, he'll get a few shots in, which are invariably on target and often goals. All Jemal needs to do to become a valuable member of the squad is learn how to cope with the physical side of the game more, and a season on loan might be the best way to do this.

Does that mean you won't be doing your usual end of season "throw the kids in, the results don't matter" spiel this year?

332590[/snapback]

bit tongue in cheek,modi you all know i say youth is the way forward,the club and the majority off fans don't.

I knew waggy would love this thread. Anyway.....

Keith Barker could be worth keeping an eye on.

He played 4 or 5 games for the reserves late last season and scored a few goals.

332596[/snapback]

Garner grabs all the attention out of the Academy--rightfully so with his exploits for both Rovers and the England youth squads--but we don't always hear a lot about Barker. Still only 18, his goalscoring record from last year is certainly impressive (19 in 29 appearances for the Academy, 4 in 7 appearances for the reserves). He looks like a big kid, too. He's getting to the age where he needs to make a breakthrough in the next year or two in order to make it--so can he do it? Those who have watched him play for the Academy and reserve sides... what kind of player is he?

Keith Barker Academy profile

If Cookiemonster is right with this team, then perhaps it is a hint of who Hughes expects to play a part this season:

Here is the Rovers team for today

ROVERS: Friedel, Taylor, Matteo, Todd, Nelsen, Tugay, Johnson, Flitcroft, Dickov, Gallagher, Bellamy. Subs: Harkins, Mokoena, McEveley, Gray, Derbyshire, Reid, Douglas, Peter, Kuqi, Jansen, Enckelman.

332653[/snapback]

Edited by Philly Rover ®

Noticed that Sergio Peter was left out of the squad that travelled to Germany today.Shame.

The researves drew 2-2 with Dundee today in a game played behind closed doors

Ralph Welch and Keith Treacy scoring the goals.

Noticed that Sergio Peter was left out of the squad that travelled to Germany today.Shame.

333102[/snapback]

This is the full list going to Germany. Only Amo is missiing due to his operation.

GK: Friedel*, Enckelman.

CB:f: Todd*, Nelsen*, Mokoena, McEveley, Harkins.

FB: Neill*, Matteo, Gresko, Taylor, Gray.

CM: Savage*, Reid, Tugay, Flitcroft, Douglas.

WM: Pedersen*, Emerton, Thompson.

Att: Bellamy*, Dickov, Kuqi, Jansen, Johnson, Gallagher, Derbyshire.

And being a bit sad I have put them all in order of where they stand in the pecking order (in my estimation, but I think it is accurate based on what we know). And to further compound my geekiness I have placed a star next to 'definate starters if available'. I will get my coat.

ps. looking at it we certainly do look like we are in need of another central defender. Moko is awful there, although he would be good as a full back in the Matteo mould or in his supreme DM position. We need to bring another player in.

Also there is no obvious partner for Savage. Reid is okay but I have a funny feeling he wont adjust to being in the middle of a 442 too well, if thats what happens.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.