BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mancs V Rovers Carling Cup Second Leg

When Graham Poll gave that Penalty to United last night I said something along the lines of,

"There is no flippin chance that he would have given that to us!!!!"

and hey presto, half an hour later the ball hits Rio's arm and no penalty.

Neither should have been given but if he gives one for the ball hitting Zurab's fist when it is against his chest, then he should definately give one when it hits Rio's arm which is still at the side of his body!

We didn't do enough to win the game, or draw it really, I think it could have been a bit different if we had a centre forward who didn't look like he was treading water when he was running and never once retained possesion of the ball, bellamy and dickov were sorely missed last night, even on of them could have made a big difference.

And no, Tugay wasn't fouled, just plain daft as he had plenty of opportunity to release a simple pass.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great night for the Blackburn Rovers supporter. The result might have gone against us but the team gave everything and we can ask no more.

The best part of the night for me though was singing Your support is f__king Sh_t at united. Great atmosphere, heard us later on the telly and we were great. I think the players appeciated it too. tinykit.gif

Louis Saha - you can go on about MGP but this guy has something against us.

Working in Manchester amongst the reds the feeling was of nervousness before the game because of there supposed lack of midfield - my response was we have no forwards and Saha is always a thorn in our side (inc Foolham) and would along with a contentious decision from the ref would more than likely settle the result ... (and no I'm not psychic... psychotic maybe)

Anyway, last night was a chance to overrun them in midfield which we didn't and is where I feel Sparky got it wrong, culminate that with the individual errors/late subs and the vital decisions the ref got wrong and we all saw the results.

Level thinking, I don't think any Rovers fan could have felt comfortable with the starting 2 up front, as so proved and likeable as he is I feel Kuqi has now signed his tfr form - lets just hope this has convinced the powers that be to release/obtain funds to purchase a new striker because if there was any doubt before there certainly isn't now.

Overall I don't know whether to feel disapointed, annoyed, dismayed, proud or whatever but I do know that MU where there for the taking and we blew it.

I don't feel either team did enough to win, and IMO neither team played in the knowledge that a Cup Final place was up for grabs.

Well done to the fans that went last night and those that have supported them through the rounds.

welll as some of know ive got other things going on at the moment with my little lad,i got a refund last night and just saw the granada highlights,not read any comments on the game so heres mine....

I believe we are victims of some vendetta with refs big time..zurabs pen?what was that all about sure the ball hit his arm but to get it out of the way he would have had to share the same bed as my lad because it would have required amputation.

i know sav has his reputation but f me how much longer are refs gonna let teams play LETS END SAVS CAREER with leg breakers.

how poll didnt send horses head off for kicking sav when he was on the floor and on his head was abffler.

how he didnt give us a pen for handball was truly astounding( i know people harked on abot peds goal sat but christ almighty these things are supposed to even themselves out but we never sem to get even or in front)

shef??well that chance it showed on tv where he swivelled ? well turned like that frigging london whale with the grace of 20 month pregnant walarus's being chased by the clubbers.dont know what else he did but it didnt show it but christ hes looking out of his depth big time.

rio slapping /pushing sav whats that all about ?poll didnt see eh now theres a friggin surprise.

2nd goal wtf tugay wasnt fouled i dont know

how i kept quiet in the childrens ward i dont know.

Good performance from us, and it does make you proud to be a Rover. I was so confident of a win if Bellers was playing, but when I saw the team sheet it made you think "what hope do we have at OT with one very ordinary striker (compliment) and one withdrawn striker/midfielder. The writing was on the wall. Bellamy is so important to us that its crazy. If we don't have a striker by sat and Bellers isn't fit (very likely) then chances are that were going to be sent packing. I just hope that this defeat doesn't cause us to go on a bad run, but with our current set of strikers I just cannot see us scoring enough. Final note though, as someone else said, its been years since weve seen 11 players wearing their hearts on their sleevs...its great to see.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

May I just add an observation on Graham Poll, our alledgedly leading referee and nominated FIFA official?

I think his refereeing style is ideal for matches between the "big" teams (eg. Chelski v. Man Ure, Scousers v. Arse, [please note my omission of Brum & Spuds]) in the Premier League, Champions League and Internationals, as I do consider him to be a good referee.

However in games that include these "big" teams against other opposition he appears; too friendly and matey with the players and management, willing to look for any excuse to give a major decision in their favour. Why might this be, self preservation for his lofty position as England's leading official? Or is this just paranoia?

On a similar vein, Robbie Savage. With him already being on 9 yellow cards in the past three matches, has he become the victim for the opposition team players to target him? We know he loves the attention and is probably one of the biggest wind up merchants going. Smith in the last 2 games, and all the Notlob players have looked to spark a reaction. All credit to him for not responding. Perhaps Reidy or Toddy might just take a yellow card next Wednesday and kick Smith 10 feet in the air. On reflection could I add, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, Ferdinand, Gary Chuckle to this list please?

Good observation on smith mate, I almost forgot how big a to$$er that guy was last night!!! The lad is a lying/dirty tit: "I love Leeds, I'd never go to Utd" Yeh right Alan. How on earth he didnt get a red card in the 1st leg was a joke. Im tempted to send in my CV for the strikers position just so I can lamp that git in the tunnel next week.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Enjoyed last night great vocal support in the Theatre of Screams, Their support is crap......

There does seem there is a vandetta out on Savage and referee's should now be getting wise to it........

Graham Poll as ever ruins a great match with his total inconsistancy.

Lets do Man Ure next wednesday and get another 3 points off them

Enjoyed last night great vocal support in the Theatre of Screams, Their support is crap......

378348[/snapback]

AR - I presume you just mean their home support as I would consider them one of the best (if not the best) away from home

THe problem with Poll is that he tries to sensationalise the game, but then is not consistent with his decisions.

Eg 50/50 whether Fletcher fouled Tugay... but Utd have a break on... so he lets it go...

But bet he wouldve given it if it was just running out for a throw in or something.

On the goading of savage:

I think that Rovers bosses should write a letter to the FA complaining about the lack of protection that Savage gets from referees - the only way to stop him being targeted by opposition is to give him more protection. Dickov / Bells are also unfairly treated.

Edited by OJRovers

I am not, repeat not, defending Poll for his performance last night, but he could easily have given a late penalty against us for Spurs at Cardiff in 2002. If he was a "big club" favourer then logically he should have given that.

Plus, ok I am defending him now, he was I think unable to see the Ferdinand handball from where he was stood (criticise his positioning if you like) compared to where he was stood for Z's "penalty". (Linesman should have though.)

No, I'm not his agent.

I believe we are victims of some vendetta with refs big time..zurabs pen?what was that all about sure the ball hit his arm but to get it out of the way he would have had to share the same bed as my lad because it would have required amputation.

378332[/snapback]

The funny thing is about the "handball" the most blatant handball in the Zura incident was RVN holding the ball against Zura's chest with his arm, anyone else notice that.

The top brass can say what they want it is bleeding obvious to any fan of any team outside the "favoured" six or so teams that the game is biased, and ref's decisions are skewed, it's the same ref's involving the same teams week in week out. It's time for fans everywhere to start bombarding the FA and the Ref's headquarters with mail exclaiming we want our game back.

All we are asking is a fair chance and for the rules to be equally applied. The teams with the Mega bucks stars already have the advantage, they don't need anymore help.

My dad is a lifelong united fan and he very rarely has any sympathy, but after he had watched the game in Paris and I'd watched it over here in Guildford this morning he told me on the phone that "there was no way you could have won that game with that ref"...says it all really.

My dad is a lifelong united fan and he very rarely has any sympathy, but after he had watched the game in Paris and I'd watched it over here in Guildford this morning he told me on the phone that "there was no way you could have won that game with that ref"...says it all really.

378383[/snapback]

Exactly my thoughts as I settled down at 3am to watch it live on Thai Ch 7!

How about some tabloid newspaper doing a bung analysis on ''top'' refs like Poll. I detest him. Didn't he play for Spurs though.................................. wink.gif

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Only one word of praise for United- Saha was absolutely magnificent and if you watch him in slomo, he waited, watched and scored that winner absolutely deliberately. There is a clear difference opinion between those who were at the game and those who watched it on TV- it was probably the best piece of skill for a goal we'll see all season.

CHEATED    

378231[/snapback]

Well I must have watched a different game Philip. At Old Trafford it looked like an unbelievably fortuitous,mishit, slice off the top of his boot............my opinion hasn't changed after seeing it on TV.

Edited by Wiggy

Well, the game was here on portuguese Tv and the commentators  actually said good things about Rovers, that the referee gave a little help and we reduced manure to a normal team...

378411[/snapback]

They are a normal team, just with one of the best players in the world upfront.

The Sky commentators where absoutley terrible. Alan Smith inparticular slated Rovers at any chance. Saying we hadn't done anything and we looked the weaker team despite having 60% of the play. What a total d1ckhead.

Well played Rovers, just a shame Bellers wasn't playing.

Quote by Hughesy sums it up:

"Mr Poll thought 61,000 people had come to see him. Referees have to remember fans come to watch two teams play, not the referee."

Edited by grizfoot

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.