BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mancs V Rovers Carling Cup Second Leg

Its pretty disappointing to see Kuqi being made the scape goat. Alright he didn't have the best game, but neither did a few players, Neill and Gray come to mind.

We must take the positives out of the cup run, because we were effectively out two months ago when 2-0 down at Charlton yet we showed the character to go on and win 3-2! Kuqi inspired dont forget.

Middlesbrough was another success as we erased memories of Fulham and dominated against Boro. I believe that the Carling Cup win set us up well for the christmas period from which we took 9pts out of 9!

We had the positives of the home leg against Man U, Pedersen's goal and the defensive performance in the second half.

Ok tonight is a blip, but its not the end of the world! Were still in the FA cup and even if we go out of that were having a good season in the league.

I'm sure if I offered you 8th in the table and a Carling Cup Semi Final by this stage, back in August you would have bit my hand off! I know I would have been more than thrilled!

You could see Hughes at the end say to the players "chin up" and as supporters we must also hold our heads high.

Lets get behind the team at West Ham on Saturday, get behind every player! And lets beat Man United next Wednesday at Ewood.

Cheer up guys n gals!

IT COULD BE WORSE!!!!!!!

378182[/snapback]

exactly...

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home, no complaints. How can you have when you reduce United to defending deep and relying on their excellent strike force to conjour something up? Bellamy wouldd have made the difference but don't all hound Kugi, others didn't play as well as they can tonight. We know why he's here and we know he may well drop down the pecking order after the summer. We won't sign a striker before then.

Proud to be a Rover..........shame the dream had to end

Dont forget that Hughesy brought Kuqi to the club so if he is the worst striker then are you saying our manager is a poor judge of talent. Souness saw him for 30 minutes and then showed him the door. We do need a new forward and we have 6 days and counting. Otherwise I watched the game and was pleased with our overall game plan except in the opposing box.

Hate to bring this up but I have just seen the highlights and am rather upset. If Utd get a Penalty why the hell did we not. I am sick to the back teeth of this BLATANT favouritism, sick of it. After Wigan last night and now this there is no one on earth can tell me these games are being refereed impartially. Now what can be done to end this.

Also who was it that scythed down Savage and kicked him in the head as he fell and what became of that incident.

So ###### off right now I am considering giving up footy, it's become a sick joke.

Just back. I am really proud to be a Rover tonight. I thought the team gave their all and the backing of the fans was superb. The atmosphere in the Rovers end was brilliant. Very loud.

Unfortunately we were robbed by injury of our main strike force. Had Bellamy and Dickov been playing we could have nicked it - who knows? After visiting Old Trafford five or six times in the first years of the PL, I vowed never to return due to 'Homer' refs and decisions that always seemed to go against us there - nothing changes. But one thing for sure, there is no intimidation any more or a feeling that we are going to be hammered.

If we could get Bellamy fit, keep him fit and bring in one quality partner for him up front, we could be a top six side for the unforseeable future. We need to go cap in hand to the Trust.

rover.gif did not go to the theartre of merchandise,just seen the highlights on tv,gray unfortunate for the 1st,bad bobble but should have cleared.toogs clearly fouled for the 2nd but a fantastic strike from saha.the penalty was never,then ferdinand does the same,and its play on.well done the rovers, the fans seemed in good vioce tinykit.gif

Hate to bring this up but I have just seen the highlights and am rather upset.  If Utd get a Penalty why the hell did we not.  I am sick to the back teeth of this BLATANT favouritism, sick of it.  After Wigan last night and now this there is no one on earth can tell me these games are being refereed impartially.  Now what can be done to end this.

Also who was it that scythed down Savage and kicked him in the head as he fell and what became of that incident.

So ###### off right now I am considering giving up footy, it's become a sick joke.

378198[/snapback]

The coverage just finished on ITV was laughable - MUTV would have been more balanced. Savage was painted as the guilty party tonight for Smith stamping on him, Van Nistelrooy kicking him and then running his studs on his head and then Ferdinand clipping him round the ear. Will be there be a big fuss about dirty United as we got last April in Cardiff? I don't think so...

I agree with some of the more optimistic posts on here tonight. Without playing particularly well over the two legs we had United hanging on til the very end of the tie. They should get down on their knees every night and be thankful for Rooney - he's the only player they had with any sort of spark tonight. He is to them what Bellamy is for us, the focal point of the attack; if he'd been out and Bellers had been playing tonight, it would have been a very different game.

The penalty was harsh, and justice was done, but some people have short memories - Saturday anyone?? Overall though, tonight further proved that we're on the right track under Sparky and we're only really a decent forward or two away from being a good side.

One other thing - how annoying were those effin' Ronaldo adverts that kept flashing up at pitchside?

I went tonight, back home by 10:30 (which was nice)

Then watched ITV coverage. If anyone knows:

(a)Clive Tyldesley's home address

(b)Where I can obtain a reliable firearm

Let me know. I'll do it. the world will be a better place.

It's all been said.

If this was 18 months ago I wouldn't have gone because I thought we would have been used to wipe the floor. I'm quite happy with the performance tonight, we did OK. Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. The Rovers' support was great too.

Wigan for the Cup.

Very disappointing really.

We've gone there with a forward line up that would have embarrassed a conference side, and conceded two desperately soft goals defensively which you simply can't afford to do against a side of United's calibre. Other than that we've competed extremely well over the 90 minutes.

Interesting to see one or two references to John O Mara. On tonight's performance Kuqi must be the worst striker to wear the blue and white halves since the six foot 5 inch lummox of the early 70's. If there is anything you can fault Hughes for it's the striker situation. We needed another quality striker in August, it didn't really need the injury to Dickov to make the need apparent. Now we're desperately scratching around in the last few days of the transfer window.

If we'd have won tonight, the game against West Ham would have been kind of superfluous. Now it's vitally important to keep some sort of momentum going. Although you couldn't see us winning another game all season with Kuqi and Bentley up front.

Back to tonight, Friedel was outstanding, a flashback to the form of the superman season. Reid was I thought by far our most impressive outfield player.

Must add that Bentley impressed me, needed someone alongside him to help out though. Kuqi simply can't be effective without someone like Bellamy, if there's pace and movement around him then he can do a job, if he doesn't have that then he can't, simple as really.

Also must say that Emerton really looked good when he came on. He was positive and ran at United, perhaps he should have been on earlier. Good to see.

The game was on Pay Per View over here in Canada and I've just finished watching it as I knew it was being repeated. Now I didn't go onto this messageboard all day, nor did I find out the score beforehand. I didn't know what the line up would be, didn't know who the referee would be.

First of all, when I saw that Graham Poll was officiating the match I grabbed for a beer (honestly). I'm not going to go and give my synopsis of the match but I wanted to say this point. When I saw Fletcher body check Tugay off the ball which lead to the eventual winner I thought but one thing "it was a foul". In fact I will go as far as to say that I was stunned that it wasn't called. Beer dribbled down my chin like milk from a stupid baby pulled from the tit. Now I don't profess to know as much about footy as you my fellow Englishmen. But I have watched enough matches in my life to know what is a foul. I thought for certain it was. Even if you argued that it might not have been a foul, you could always bank on the fact that a referee would always blow on his whistle anyways. I mean "when in doubt blow the whistle right???"

It was a foul to me and I can't be argued off that. Now as soon as the match was over I went to this my favourite website and expected total anger over that one incident!! And instead I find that the players (namely Bentley and Kuqi) are being singled out! For the love of everything sacred people! I am proud of every single player out there. To me it was all about good vs. EVIL EVIL @#/? ****'s.

I am less of a person tonight my friends. I felt passion like no other night and I am tired and cranky. I am proud of Rovers as the nearly won against everything put in their way.

Glad you enjoyed the game heapy.

Watching the game live I thought Tugay simply got (very sloppily) caught in possession in a promising position and therefore it was a very poor goal to concede from our point of view.

Mind you Saha mishit (sliced) his shot horrendously but it just found the corner of the net.

Re: Graham Poll after tonight's lobsided officiating if he's ever in charge of one of our games again against a "big club" I suggest Rovers fans partake of a loaded revolver and a quiet room not just a beer!

There was such a predictability about tonight's game - the Old Trafford standard-issue biased ref, the tedious pro-United media coverage, and then the result. What was pleasing to see was our refusal as a team to accept that predictability. Hughes has clearly generated a huge amount of passion, energy and belief in his players. We all know that if those players as individuals had anywhere near the ability of their United counterparts, they would already have been signed up by United (or Chelsea, or Arsenal). Despite that, they went there believing they could get a result. Friedel was phenomenal. Reid never stopped battling. Nelsen and Zurab likewise. Even Bentley had one of his better games, showing sufficient ability on the ball to suggest a bright future. As a less wealthy club we are always going to be at the mercy of injuries and our luck for today's game ran out when both Bellamy and Dickov became unavailable. Had those two played I honestly believe we would have got the second away goal and gone through. Once again we are reminded that whilst teams might win individual matches it is squads who win competitions, and with just 2 significant injuries we were out of it before we had started. Even though the lads in blue & white refused to believe that.

They have done us proud, and I wouldnt swap sides with the bogus toadies in red & white off to Cardiff for anything. All that money and the best they can show for it is a Carling Cup final? Sad.

Get Bellamy back, maybe a decent striker in before the end of the month, and we are challenging for a top 6 finish, which is amazing considering where we were 18 months ago.

The Rovers were fantastic last night and don't take anything away from them. To have got close to 60% of the posession and for Alan Green to say on the World service:

"Only the very top teams come to Old Trafford and force United to defend deep the whole game and Blackburn did that."

OK we know Kuqi's control is terrible and time and again the ball pinged off him onto a waiting Manc but even he started making damaging contributions to Utd rather than to us. The rest of the team was just magnificent even though Gray made TWO mistakes (gifting it to start Rooney off then bobbling it to RvN) in the first goal but Richardson's pass to Reid for our goal evened up the mistakes.

No criticism of Tugay for the second- he was slammed in the centre of his back in as clear a foul as Graham Poll was ever nobbled not to see (ditto the pen on Zura which RvN tapped ball to hand as clearly as there ever was a ball to hand- Ferdinand was also ball to hand but the ball travelled three times as far to reach his hand and was much more debatable). Savage was blatantly assaulted by RvN at the corner at the end of the first half- another body check to the centre of the back and a deliberate kick to the head as he went over him.

Only one word of praise for United- Saha was absolutely magnificent and if you watch him in slomo, he waited, watched and scored that winner absolutely deliberately. There is a clear difference opinion between those who were at the game and those who watched it on TV- it was probably the best piece of skill for a goal we'll see all season.

Brad Friedel is the greatest. Unbelievable string of saves.

But in the end, there is only one word:

CHEATED

Edited by philipl

rover.gif did not go to the theartre of merchandise,just seen the highlights on tv,gray unfortunate for the 1st,bad bobble but should have cleared.toogs clearly fouled for the 2nd but a fantastic strike from saha.the penalty was never,then ferdinand does the same,and its play on.well done the rovers, the fans seemed in good vioce tinykit.gif

378200[/snapback]

There is no way on this earth that Saha intended that to go in that corner. Fantastic strike? My arse.

the slightly better team on the night won.

The home side got the benefit of the doubt and the decisions went there way.

But we did not create enough chances to win and United did.

But we played very well and I was surprised when Kuqi went off becuase he gave some aerial threat which we needed towards the end.

But did the mancs overall deserve to go through - although it pains me to say - and if we had Dickov / Bellamy playing it would be different - yes they did.

oh I feel so dirty - wheres that bleach and wire brush

Feeling very confused today huh.gif

One minute I feel let down by the lads because of some terrible individual mistakes. And the next I am feeling cheated because of some decisions by the ref.

I am probably just going to echo what has already been said but anyway:-

The Van Nist goal. 1 person at fault all the way through here - Gray. I cannot believe the commentator going on about Rooney frightening the defense fir that goal - IT WAS GRAY FRIGHTENING THE DEFENSE FOR THAT GOAL YOU FOOL. He stated the move on the half way line and he set up Van Nist for the finish to. Sod all to do with Rooney especially when he messed up his pass to Van Nist in the first place.

Tugay. I have only seen him mess around like that once before and that was at Simon Garners testimonial. Shame on you mate. I love ya but I hated your gutts last night.

Hughes. We couldnt really expect to get anything out of the game with Kuqi up front on his own (I am not a Bently fan either) We dont seem to be looking in the transfer market at the moment which baffels me to be honest. I know its not a perfect solution but with Dickov out and Bellemy out every other week its time to call Gally back.

I must say though that I was impressed with the outstanding efforts of Zura, Nelson and Brad - well done lads you totally deserve to wear the blue and white

Congratulations to Rovers fans for the superb support, particularly in the first 45 minutes, though not to the yob behind me who smashed two seats when United scored.

The atmosphere was the best I have experienced in a long time, though the second period was more subdued, as if we knew the inevitable was going to happen.

Saha caused us all sorts of problems and made the difference in the second half, though his goal certainly looked like a sliced miskick from where I was standing.

I very rarely shout at referees but Mr Poll needs to take a hard look at himself. The penalty decision was ludicrous.

Disappointed but not too down overall because you cannot expect to beat United without a forward line. The injuries to Dickov and Bellamy really hurt us.

Imperative that Hughes lifts the team for the West Ham match. Going out of both cups in a week would be hard to take.

how good was Rooney? I think the Manc going out of the CL is a godsend for England in the World Cup.

The difference last night was that ManUre had 2 WorldClass and one very good strikers up front and we didnt.

Cant wait for next wednesday to get some revenge though. Smith's out - Giggs is injured, Savage's got a score to settle, im moist with anticipation

One word for last night that would sum it up.

CHEATED!

Kuqi isn't good enough for the Premiership, he is Championship material, with Bellamy, last night we might have had a chance, but they got lucky.

Typical Manure.

A couple of points on last nights game :-

1. How can you call that a Premiership ground with a pitch that resembles a ploughed field ? Given Rovers short passing game - it actually favoured United

2. Referee inconsistency - too many points to mention .... but I will

- How can you give a penalty to one team for handball - and not the other (I think we all know why mad.gif )

- Why was the tackle on Tugay (which lead to the goal) not a foul, when two minutes later a similar tackle by a Rovers players led to a free kick mad.gif

- What has happended to the rule about studs up challenges being red cards - in both matches Smith did studs up lunges against Savage - in both cases yellow cards mad.gif

- Why wasn't horse face booked mad.gif

- We only get decisions when they are 60-40 in our favour, every 50-50 decision goes to the big clubs mad.gif

Right, thats off my chest now.

Good effort by the lads - gotta wonder what would happen if Bellamy had been fit.

I am looking with interest at the Kuqi situation - he let Jansen go, who even post accident has far better control and movement than Kuqi - will we see the likeable Kuqi moved on during the summer ?

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm

Slightly disappointed with the result but the lads clearly gave their all.I feared the three pronged attack of Nistelrooy,Saha and Rooney would be too much for us to cope with in the end,compare that strike force to our championship (at best) quality journeyman up front and what were some of you really expecting to happen on the night in all honesty? unsure.gif.

We are in desperate need of another quality striker up front and it was plain for all to see and hear......I listened to the match commentary of Century 105 whilst at work and they were literally laughing at poor old Kuqi, it made you cringe with embarrassment at times!

I'm not downhearted though,we have made massive strides under the leadership of Sparky and the club looks in a damn site better position than 12 months ago.

P.S.

A special word of praise for big Brad friedel.....a colossus amongst Premiership goalkeepers and quite simply the best one ever for Rovers rover.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.