BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Dunny Have Come Home?

Should Dunny have come home?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have signed Dunn?

• Absolutely no way. The guy simply isn't fit enough for Premiership football
    • It's a big gamble, so probably not.
    • Sitting on the fence here.
    • Yes, even if he can't regain full fitness, the presence of a true roverite will lift everyone around the club.
    • Brilliant signing, he should never have left.

That was without doubt Dunn's best game since he came back, and if there's more to come like that then I'll be absolutely delighted to have been wrong about him.

As American mentioned, a dozen or so of us sat round a table in Sam Platt's after the game had a straw poll MOTM vote, and Dunn and Emerton got 4 votes each, closely followed by Nelsen and Warnock.

One swallow doesn't make a summer however, and I'll hold off raving about the new Dunn until he's managed to put in a few more shifts like that one. If he does then we might yet sneak the Intertoto spot - which I think is really important to keep the positive momentum behind this club going.

Either way next season will see an interesting battle to play in midfield when Savage and Reid are fit again. Dunn will need to play like he did yesterday to get close to the team.

And Jan - do stop going on about "agendas" - you're making yourself look silly. You're the only one who switches support on and off and boycotts Ewood when you don't like who the club is employing - if that isn't having an "agenda" then I don't know what is.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As American mentioned, a dozen or so of us sat round a table in Sam Platt's after the game had a straw poll MOTM vote, and Dunn and Emerton got 4 votes each, closely followed by Nelsen and Warnock.

Must have been the booze : Warnock had a terrible game.

My point was more along the lines of Hughes worked with both Souness and Dunn and bought DUNN back for the club (while clearly not being overly respectful of Souness). That's enough for me to know who was right. And yes, I think Dunny was fitter at Brum than he played. I don't necessarily think he was wrong for doing so. One of my friends has just moved from here- in a job she enjoyed- because of a deeply unpleasant boss. Now he's leaving and she's handed her notice in (after 6 months) and is coming back. In football Dunny didn't have that option (you can't just give notice). I think if she'd been stuck there, she'd probably have done the same as Dunny did and gone through the motions with a lot of sick leave until she could go.

But, Dunny was on his way to Man.City for a poxy half a mill until Souness got the job and extended the boys Rovers career for a few more years.

But, Dunny was on his way to Man.City for a poxy half a mill until Souness got the job and extended the boys Rovers career for a few more years.

I thought that, although the deal had been set up, Dunn refused to go.

Dunny was amazing yesterday, he showed lots of passion like a boyhood fan should do, for example Steven Gerrard. Petr Cech made a top class save to deny him late in the first half. I can also remeber him going into 3 tackles and nearly all 3 Chelsea players were on the floor. We all know what he's capable of and it was just a matter of time yesterday.

As American mentioned, a dozen or so of us sat round a table in Sam Platt's after the game

Thanks for the invite!!

Must have been the booze : Warnock had a terrible game.

The tablets in the 'Oakside Nursing Home' must have ruined your sight man.

Best get out while you maybe have a wee bit of sense left, even if it's nonsense.

While i always thought Dunn would represent good value for money at around a million (pennies for a decent premiership player, especially an English one) i was very ambivalent about how much of an overall imact he would make, especially in CM where he always seemed a bit of a liability in his first stint here.

5 games left to go and I have to say he is doing us proud. No Joe Cole, or even really in the same league as reid last season (or the some of his own games before he went to Brum), but you have to say that he is doing very well in the context of his fee and looks like he is improving all the time.

And, without wishing to tempt fate, I am sure everybody would be suprised he has made 13 games without injury, and for a traditionally unfit player his work rate has been sensational.

Could form the heart of the side next season. If I was Savage (Reid will be all right imo) I would be begining to wonder whether a place is certain upon returning from injury. Certainly when you consider the strides Mokoena has made too.

I never thought we would be in a position where Savage could lose his place... Congrats to Aaron and David who were never really bought as anything else but cover!

Well said JBN, another v solid performance last night from the Axe and Dunny. It's noticeable how the Axe is much more confident now and looks happy playing 20 - 30 yd passes. A couple of months ago, 5 yd sideways/backward passes were about his limit. Still a bit of learning though - he wins quite a lot in the air but nearly always (that I've noticed anyway) there's another blue and white shirt going for the header, and if Axe wins it there's not much in the way of directing it to a teammate. A much improved player though.

And on Dunny, well that's another game towards Tris and myself saying he was a decent buy after all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just listened to an hour-long interview of David Dunn on Radio Lancashire.

What a great interview.

Dunny came across very well and explained many things including his time at Ewood under Hodgson, Kidd and Souness; his move to Brum and his time there under Steve Bruce.

He spoke about the great camaraderie among the team that Souness had and how they would run that bit extra for each other; mentioned Janson, Duff, Flitcroft, Gillespie, Taylor, Curtis as part of all this.

Talked about the present Hughes regime and how preparation is so meticulous; it's now treated seriously and not like a bit of fun.

He also mentioned people who came up to him, a lot of them saying negative things to him. This was before he went to Brum.

Anyway, I have a greater respect for footballers as a whole, and Dunny in particular, for giving me an insight into the money world of ordinary people who have footballing talent.

I'm now convinced he DOESN'T eat pies!

Guest shoppybrfc

Dont suppose anyone recorded this for us non lanc folk?

Bazza - whos programme was it on and what time? As I see on BBC lancs site you can relisten to some shows

thank you!

Edited by shoppybrfc

Dont suppose anyone recorded this for us non lanc folk?

Bazza - whos programme was it on and what time? As I see on BBC lancs site you can relisten to some shows

thank you!

7pm last night. Dunny came over very well and as a true fan. Very impressed with the pie boy. <_<

Interesting to hear how nice Karen Brady was to Dunny!

What is the problem with the Big Club and us - they seem to have a massive chip on their shoulder - jealously maybe?

Just listened to all of it, excellent interview, worth a listen.

Edited by John

One of the more honest interviews you will ever hear.

Would liked to have heard more stories about his earlier years. It does sound a bit like he's almost shocked at the way the team is now run under Hughes than it was under Souness. Almost like he misses the "old days" with Flitty and the lads. Of course it just means he knows how hard he has to work under this regime.

Poor Birmingham. Don't sound like a good club at all. Still, they got promoted so I guess we'll see next year.

Here's to Dunny, a true Blackburn fan

Guest shoppybrfc

I didnt like the hearing the part about fans slagging off the younger players, has anyone witnessed this themselves?

Funny to hear him miss off Judas Lucas then he was talking about how well the Souness team got on with each other.

Edited by shoppybrfc

Dunn's a great guy and a local lad and we all have fond memories of him as a Rover, but the question remains, does he have what it takes to contribute to the club next year? If there are no creative central middies brought in over the summer are we good enough in that spot with Dunn when Tugay needs his rest? I am hoping the summer with Sparky will whip him into shape, but I don't know if the summer is long enough to rehabilitate Dunny.

We're beyond fighting for survival. We're looked at, although grudgingly, as Euro competitors nowadays and bygod that's the type of players we need to get into the squad. There's no doubt Dunny could be a good addition for any of the newly promoted's or the Fulham's and Wigan's of the crowd, but is he or more appropriately CAN he be what we so sorely need when Tugay is either ineffectual(it Does happen every now and again) or out of the squad?

I still think we need an upgrade and can only afford to have Dunn on as a sub...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.