BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Battle Of 4th, 5th, 6th Position

Modi

I think one or two of you have missed my point.

Technically, an outsider would expect Bolton to lose their games between the top 4 just as they would expect us to lose against Chelsea and Liverpool. As both ourselves and Bolton have shown, these games aren't formalities, but to be offering Bolton at fives and us at twelves is either a monumental compliment to them, or a huge insult to us.

391861[/snapback]

They also have yet to play Spurs though, which though a tough game, means that they do have a bit more of a say in what other teams do.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shilito, Bolton have those two games in hand so they are the only club which has 4th place in its own hands to win or lose. The other three clubs are dependant on Bolton slipping up.

As for Rovers, Bolton are only one point behind, two games in hand and have a much better goal difference than us. I'd say the odds are about right.

We are going to have to have a fantastic end of season run to get 4th place because at the moment we are the back markers of the four clubs in contantion.

At least today's results push Newcastle further out of contention for the UEFA Cup and give the Mancs a bit more to play for when they play Bolton, Arsenal and Spurs.

Edited by philipl

I think one or two of you have missed my point.

Technically, an outsider would expect Bolton to lose their games between the top 4 just as they would expect us to lose against Chelsea and Liverpool. As both ourselves and Bolton have shown, these games aren't formalities, but to be offering Bolton at fives and us at twelves is either a monumental compliment to them, or a huge insult to us.

391861[/snapback]

Or the media see NOTLOB as much bigger club than por old "sruffy little town and no support" Rovers!!

Well if it's that easy...

I doubt few will agree, but is the race for the title back open? If Manchester United win their game in hand the gap is down to 9. Chelsea's remaining fixtures are far from easy, they only play three teams outside of the top ten, Birmingham, Man City and Newcastle (with those other two only just outside and in decent form). As they still have to play each other I think there is actually still something to play for at the top of the table. Chelsea are still firmly in the driving seat, but stranger things have happened.

391858[/snapback]

I was thinking that yesterday, Chelsea are firmly in the driving seat but seem to be losing their cool. Gallas's assault proved that yesterday. I think in our run in we are just as likely to beat Chelsea as we are Sunderland(That sounds insane but we know what Rovers are like with Crap teams).

this is what I got with the predictor

YOUR PREDICTIONS

Rel Pos Team PTS

1 Chelsea 90

2 Man Utd 90

3 Liverpool 77

4 Blackburn 65

5 Tottenham 63

6 Arsenal 61

perhaps ive been a little harsh with Arsenal but they have a young team, I think Spurs will wobble as will Rovers. Chelsea will be pushed close by the scum.

After revising my predictions slightly, I now have Spurs finishing in 5th and Bolton in 6th, with just 2 points seperating the two. However, I have Arsenal as fairly comfortable 4th place finishers. In all honesty, I cannot see them losing again this season.

After beating 'boro, we are now three points ahead of my predictions and I cannot see us dropping below 7th. It's now up to Bolton and Spurs to start dropping points. Looking at their respective fixtures, I cannot predict the most likely to drop points.

I think we need to start preparing for a finish outside the european places. Unless of course the FA cup is fought between two european / champions league qualifying teams.

i think and hope 7th is in the bag at the moment, we can only improve on that.

we have a decentish run in

the key is home form, stay unbeaten and we will finish at least 6th i say

coupled together with a win or 2 away

I think we need to start preparing for a finish outside the european places.  Unless of course the FA cup is fought between two european / champions league qualifying teams.

392161[/snapback]

We already have, we've got our name down for the intertoto thingymajig thumbs-up.gif

it seems man city scored a massive own goal over the weekend resting 7 first teamers for the west ham game which they went on to lose

thats put them 9 points behind us, which totally rules them out of europe imo. smile.gif

If we can hang in the CL race until there is only 3 games to go, it is anyones place to take then, over a three game spell i think we can hang in there with the ARSEnal and Spuds, by that time notloB should be out of the race. At the moment 4th place is s'notloB to lose and ours to steal.

I just feel that if we hang in there and can either stay level with Spuds/ARSEnal and notloB until the finla few matches we can take 4th place, plus if we are still in for 4th place by then we will be pretty much guarenteed either 5th/6th.

Its going to make for a very good last few games of the season for sure.

If the ARSEnal want to keep Henry is is imperitive that they qualify for the Cl or win it this year, otherwise he will be saying Muchos Grasias to Barcelona for a very lucritive offer for him.

Arsenal can and probably will finish the rest of the season unbeaten, they have to much to lose as a club if they don't, can you imagine them opening up next season without CL football in the new Emirates Stadium. Its unthinkable for Arsenal fans who have been used to Cl football for the last few years.

It could be a poor start for them if the don't qualify, no Henry, no money to spend, and a new stadium without Cl football.

(Pardon the poor Spanish spelling)

Edited by ihatethedingles

rover.gif i mentioned before the only team capable off winning ten games on the bounce is the arse,they have one tricky away game at ot but 4th place is theres tinykit.gif

392215[/snapback]

with arsenal still competing in the champions league i'm thinking it may effect their league form. did i say thinking, i ment praying unsure.gif

After last night - i think both Man City & West Ham are out of the contention for European places.

Both lost at weekend because they had one eye on the FA cup and then last night West Ham won, which i think will ensure that they take their eye of the game again.

Man City lost a few players lat night through injury also so i think they too will struggle.

Newcastle - They have just lost 2 in a row and face Chelsea tomorrow. I think they will now slow down with the wins and will also fall out of contention for the Uefa cup.

So that leaves Arsenal, Spurs, Bolton, Blackburn & Wigan to fight it out for Champs league & Uefa

Hence my 'we're one injury away from slipping out of this chase for Europe' post wink.gif

392240[/snapback]

I disagree. Though Bellamy has been fantastic recently we have won plenty of games without him, especially against mid-table and bottom half sides. While we need him against the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool to really play the way we can I think that with Pongolle, Dickov, Bentley and Kuqi we have enough options that even if he is injured for a couple more of the games there is no reason why we should expect to lose. Hopefully though he wont get injured (knocking on wood as we speak). We are a better side than a lot of us like to believe though.

After last night - i think both Man City & West Ham are out of the contention for European places.

Both lost at weekend because they had one eye on the FA cup and then last night West Ham won, which i think will ensure that they take their eye of the game again.

Man City lost a few players lat night through injury also so i think they too will struggle.

Newcastle - They have just lost 2 in a row and face Chelsea tomorrow. I think they will now slow down with the wins and will also fall out of contention for the Uefa cup.

So that leaves Arsenal, Spurs, Bolton, Blackburn & Wigan to fight it out for Champs league & Uefa

392269[/snapback]

Assuming you are right in the above summation, that leaves 5 teams fighting for 4 places in Europe and Rovers are one of them. Good odds or what?

We didn't have Bellamy when we beat the Mancs in THE 4-3 game though.

And the thought of what Bellamy would be like fully fit for a whole season is mouth watering, considering his goal tally this season.

It will be just our luck that THIS is the season the two CL-bound clubs get drawn against each other in the semi-final.

I think West Ham are looking bankers to get that UEFA slot which would otherwise go to the 7th place.

At least we get Intertoto if we finish 7th which barring a real blow up at the season's end is the place we are headed for at the moment.