BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2 - 0 Villa

If Gray was feeling ill he should not have started.

389968[/snapback]

It appeared that Gray took a knock on his shoulder from a clumsy challenge and landed oddly on the floor.I was glad to see the lad shake it off and go back to work.Once Mokoena came on,I was very nervous for him whenever he came into play but I thought he acquitted himself well.I do hope Gra is bakc next week though.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, we were the polar opposite of the team that turned out at White Hart lane, despite only one change (Gamst for Emerton). If anything this clearly highlights just how inconsistant our team is, which is why we'll struggle to hold onto that European place. Hughes has managed to massively overachieve with this squad through confidence tricks, fitness gurus and fantastic coaching (defensively, offensively and technically), it'll be a joy to watch him manage a talented side over the next few seasons when he brings in his own players.

As for the game, the only player who comes out of it with praise from me is Savage. He ran his socks off and never gave their midfield a minute of rest, and his distribution was also pretty good. I've been saying it for a while now, Bentley isn't a central midfielder, he lacks the drive, build, fitness or determination to play at the heart of the team. You could tell in his reaction to being subbed how craply he knew he'd played. Whatever I feel about Reid, he's clearly a more competant central midfielder and provides the backbone we need to structure our attacks and defence around.

Elsewhere, the defence was shocking. Nelsen and Todd were turned far too often for my liking, even though Nelsen comes out with credit for the season saving tackle (as Philipl suggests) and sprinting back to put Baros off when he was through on goal. I'm unsure if it was a tactical error , or poor game planning, but we struggled to cope with their front three of Moore, Baros and Phillips. I though Gray was decent, but Neill was shocking, he was constantly beaten on the back post, such as the header Baros put over (and the Mido goal last week). I love his drive, physicality and commitment, but his positioning is still suspect.

The frontline scored, so it's hard to criticise, but they did nothing to impress me. Pongolle was shown up by Dickov, yes Dickov! The difference in control, link up and ability to run the channels was astounding, especially considering how highly touted the young Frenchman is. Still, he's lightning quick, as Ridgewell found out! Bellamy drifted in and out of the game, though he did well to pounce on the rebound. He wasn't helped by our inability to string three passes together (what was with that long ball crap btw?!), but he's our most influential player and should have found a way to make an impact.

Finally Friedel, he had a mixed bag to say the least! He made several outstanding saves from Baros, but then countered that by showing embarrasing positional sense. Nelsen saved his blushes with his tackle, but can anyone explain to me what Brad was doing in no-mans land?

All in all, retribution for our performance against Spurs. I feel for the Villa fans.....ok that's a lie tongue.gif . Three points is three points, it's turning out to be a great season!

As for the game, the only player who comes out of it with praise from me is Savage. He ran his socks off and never gave their midfield a minute of rest, and his distribution was also pretty good

rover.gif as much as it hurts me,i have to agree with er tinykit.gif

Sky gave both goals to Bellamy- I thought he got the first.

389967[/snapback]

Sky showed Todd scoring the first, wish it was Bellamy though, I had a bet on him scoring 1st and us winning 2-0.

The ref Gallagher proved yet again he is a muppet

389968[/snapback]

I would rather have Gallagher reffing than 99% of the other muppets. He let's play flow and doesn't book players unnecessarily. Of course he makes mistakes, like the rest, but at least he obviously understands the game.

I would rather have Gallagher reffing than 99% of the other muppets. He let's play flow and doesn't book players unnecessarily. Of course he makes mistakes, like the rest, but at least he obviously understands the game.

390001[/snapback]

Well he didn't give a penalty that I think everybody on here would have been spitting if the roles were reversed.

And he failed to spot Reid's handball in the build up to the first.

So in the context of being a Rovers supporter I thought he had a decent game biggrin.gif

But from a neutral postion you have to say Villa were hard done by in terms of decsions going against them, at least in the 60 mins of the game I saw.

Pongolle had his best game in a Rovers shirt today, which is a good sign. Dickov also looked sharp when he came on. This bodes well for the last 9 games.

389987[/snapback]

I missed the start of the game but I have to say I am with Exiled Rover on this. DIckov looked a much better option when he came on. The wee man holds up the ball and passed it well. Pongolle seemed to be hell bent on giving it away. Apart from the flick on that led to the second goal, which was more down to Ped's persistence than Pongo's contribution, our Dreadlocked striker offered little.

Dickov in next week.

390001[/snapback]

In fairness, and although he made some mistakes, I thought the referee against Spurs was quite alright. He let the game flow as well. But he's got to be more careful about those crucial decisions leading to goals.

One thing is for sure, that fantastic performance at Spurs was greeted by at least 2,000 more on the gate than has been usual for a dislocated fixture this season.

389967[/snapback]

Very doubtful, the 22,000 attendance (which was excellent in the context of this season) probably had very little to do with the Spurs game but much more to do with the quid a kid scheme.

I reckon it put 4,000 on the gate yesterday. thumbs-up.gif

Well jim wasn't happy about playing well and getting beaten at Spurs, he should be absolutely ecstatic about this one!.

I suppose the last two games show that the oldest saying in football "Luck balances itself out over the course of a season" is still one of the truest.

Don't want to complain about individual performances after a 2-0 win and with us 5th in the table. Just hope and trust that they will put it right against Boro. We won't get lucky 2 weeks running.

I would say however that MGP looked far from fit and I really don't know why we need to risk him like this with Peter, Bentley and Emerton to call on as alternatives.

Savage was far and away our best player yesterday. After that I thought Pongolle showed up as well as anyone. How it can be said that Dickov looked better on the basis of 8 minutes action (and touching the ball maybe twice) is mystifying.

Bellamy was starved of service and therefore generally quiet but showed his class by coming up with the goods yet again.

Onwards and upwards.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Sky showed Todd scoring the first, wish it was Bellamy though, I had a bet on him scoring 1st and us winning 2-0.

389997[/snapback]

Sky Italia obviously have their own English graphics- they gave both goals to Bellamy. Better get on a plane to Italy and cash your slip.

Crap performance but 3 points, got to be happy with that.

I have to agree with all the people who said Savage had a good match, he was excellent last night. I kepy mt eye on him for about a 5 minute period and when we lost the ball he was sprinting from side to side closing players down and then going after the next player when Bentley was standing off them. Savage can be a good player and i never thought i'd say that either.

Pongo did have his best game for us last night, he did his best to hold up the ball, but then again so did Todd in our area literaly,lol.

Pongo & Bellamy seem to be putting together a fairly good partnership, and as for Bellamy that is what you pay upwards of £4 million for, a man who is always in the right place at the right time to poach a goal.

rover.gif i am really beginning to like 'stinky' as he has been christened in the jw lower baiting section.we were very fortunate to get this guy on loan,and i would not be suprised if liverpoo did not stipulate that he played in every game if he was fit [apart from when we play them].

his first couple off preformances were not brilliant but he is adding a extra dimension to our attack,he and bellars are getting a partnership together,note the handshake when he was subbed,when bellers had been moaning at the rest off the team for poor play!

REMENBER THE ALTERNATIVE IS BLOODY KUQI AND DICKOV tinykit.gif

Ok I have just surfaced after getting back from watching the match "Down the Local"! OMFG! Villa was mugged! 1 of 2 rovers fans in the bar with 7 villa fans... I had to buy each one of them a drink to apologise!

Reids handball was silly but neither the ref of the lines man (on the far side) spotted it so I guess that makes up for the 2nd spurs goal last week. And Todd’s in the area... even the villa fans said that it would have been very harsh to have given a penalty! Yes his hands were raised but in obvious defence, and doing a very camp handbags impression I thought ph34r.gif , plus the ball was approaching the sound barrier so I doubt anyone could have called it intentional!

Freidel was immense, again, but again his positioning was suspect... this was due to the back four having a very poor game, split open after the first 45 seconds they were wide open and chasing for the rest of the game! The only plus side for the defence was that grey seems to have remembered how to play, even so he was still poor.

The midfield was loose, did not close down villa and so their midfield ran riot. Savage appears the be the antithesis of tugay, runs around seeming to do a lot but not actually achieve much, as apposed to doing little but bossing the centre (I know who I'd rather have there!). Pederson was not match fit. He was caught off side way too often and his touch was clumsy compared to his previous appearances. Reid ran his socks off but again achieved little!

Belamy and pongole worked well together but did not get the supply they needed.

The only reason we won was because the villa keeper had a shocker, or was unlucky enough that the two balls he spilt both dropped to rovers players.

That said a win is a win and we deserved to get the rub of the green after some of our other home results! Newcastle at Ewood?

Money issues aside I am a little unsure if we truly want to get in to the champions league, or even the UAFA cup! ohmy.gif although we are a much better team than previously, Europe has always signalled a poor league run for the club that season! I would perhaps prefer we finish 7th and cement ourselves as true top 10 finishers and make steady progress from there on! We have massively exceeded expectations this season as last night proved (After the match at west ham did any one truly believe we'd be in 5th with 9 to go?).

Best case predictions...

Wins against Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Portsmouth and big club

Draws against Wigan, Charlton and city

And losses against Liverpool and Chelsea

15 points = 61 points total!

should cement 4th but with this seasons table I think with Arsenals resurgence, spurs lead, and Bolton’s games in hand , even 61 points will only get us 6th!

Edited by Rovers Air Force

Looked a completely different side from the one at spurs last week.

For me, I think part of this came from the re-introduction of Pedersen on on the left. Don't get me wrong, I know Pedersen is a good player and chips in with a great quota of goals. I just thought that today he lacked presence on the left hand side, especially when you compare the presence Emerton provided last week.

I've not been over impressed with Brett in all honesty since his time with us, but feel he must be dissappointed to lose his place after last week. It was there for all to see again to when he came on against Villa, thought he played well.

Sit down and think about the difference in the side between last week and this week - it was Pedersen, and that is something that has to be considered. As valuable as he is we played much better with more balance when he wasn't in the side ph34r.gif

Looked a completely different side from the one at spurs last week.

For me, I think part of this came from the re-introduction of Pedersen on on the left. Don't get me wrong, I know Pedersen is a good player and chips in with a great quota of goals. I just thought that today he lacked presence on the left hand side, especially when you compare the presence Emerton provided last week.

I've not been over impressed with Brett in all honesty since his time with us, but feel he must be dissappointed to lose his place after last week. It was there for all to see again to when he came on against Villa, thought he played well.

Sit down and think about the difference in the side between last week and this week - it was Pedersen, and that is something that has to be considered. As valuable as he is we played much better with more balance when he wasn't in the side ph34r.gif

390039[/snapback]

The difference was we did not close down villas play as we did against spurs, we gave them too much time on the ball with no or little pressure!

Savage appears the be the antithesis of tugay, runs around seeming to do a lot but not actually achieve much, as apposed to doing little but bossing the centre (I know who I'd rather have there!).

Savage doesnt achieve anything? You are kidding arent you?

Best case predictions...

Wins against Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Portsmouth and big club

Draws against Wigan, Charlton and city

And losses against Liverpool and Chelsea

15 points = 61 points total!

should cement 4th but with this seasons table I think with Arsenals resurgence, spurs lead, and Bolton’s games in hand , even 61 points will only get us 6th!

390037[/snapback]

best case?

If that is best case Id hate to see it when you were feeling pessimistic!

God, we were awful yesterday and were totally undeserving of the three points. But it makes up for last week. We had two efforts on goal and scored both of them, will Villa had at least 10 great chances and didn't bag any of them. In the summer, when Villa bought Baros and it looked liked Kuqi was our only buy I was really annoyed. I thought that we should have been after Baros, but now I'm so happy that we bought Bellamy and for £2 million less! Baros should have had a hat-trick and fluffed them all.

Our defence was dreadful yesterday, Friedal bailed us out on numerous occasions. I thought that Savage had a good game, as did Pongolle. Emerton looked good when he came on and Mokoena's arrival helped our defence some. We need to improve, but people say that the sign of a good time is when they play badly and win. With Spur's loss yesterday, we still have a chance of getting the 4th spot.

Europe has always signalled a poor league run for the club that season! I would perhaps prefer we finish 7th and cement ourselves as true top 10 finishers and make steady progress from there on! !

390037[/snapback]

Not really. Qualifying for Europe has always signalled a poor run for the club in Europe. We have been absolute tripe when playing in Europe with a consistentcy that is remarkably impressive. tongue.gif

We won the title in the same season as (briefly and humilatingly) being in the Uefa Cup. 2002-2003 saw us play four games in the Uefa Cup and still finish sixth. thumbs-up.gif

So it's not quite so clear-cut as that.

Frankly I'd just like to see us win a few games in Europe for once. That'd cheer me up no end. laugh.gif

EDIT - On another note, this Villa fan isn't too happy...

"We are a bigger club than Blackburn and we have a better squad. We should be doing better than they are but we wont with David O'Leary."

Awww...diddums. Sorry

Blackburn 2 Aston Villa 0: One less positive for David O'Leary

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Great to see a team create lots of chances at Ewood for a change, Villa caused us more problems in 10 minutes than Arsenal did in a whole game!

All this Villa deserved to win is crap though. Rovers scored 2 goals, Villa scored 0. Poor finishing will lose you a game just as much as poor defending will and Baros is a poor finisher. If O'Leary prefers to have Angel on the bench, Luke Moore out wide not involved and Kevin Philips playing slightly deeper, thats his problem and its ultimately what cost them the game.

Villa stopped Rovers playing first half superbly. Like against Spurs we tried to play the ball down the channels but Villa always had 1 player pressing the ball and 2 backing up. With Bentley in the middle, we were too lightweight and also missed Tugay who would have kept the ball much better and stopped Villa attacks being created so quickly. Hughes countered this by putting Reid central and we were much better from that point on.

Second half I thought we played well, took the game to them and this pressure ultimately led to the goals even though we were still exposed at the back a few times. Like I said before, its not our fault that O'Leary can't recognise he has three better finishers than Baros!

O'Leary is seriously underacheiving at Villa and not getting the best out of his players. Barry, Davis, Mellberg, Phillips, Hendrie, Moore, Angel and Samuel would all be a welcome addition to our squad yet their current team is lower mid table and we are pushing for Champions League.

Can't see us not getting at least 6th place now and back to three points behind the Spuds with lots of winnable games to come. COME ON YOU BLUES!!

(btw how can anyone criticise Pedersen? the guy is a delight to watch, that little chip over the wall for the free kick was awesome and even he couldnt hide his satisfaction chuckling to himself as he went to take the corner! He also played a major part in both goals with a great corner some good passing for the second)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.