BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souness On Sky

I have been watching the footy this affy on sky and cant for the life of me think why Souness has been hired as a pundit

It gets to half time and newcastle are two nil down - Souness then proceeds to give advise on what they should do? Hmmm since he left, have Newcastle lost a game? (apart from today) Why would anyone want his opinion on this?

The next thing Liverpool come on and he says that Robbie Fowler needs to be played and needs a good run in the team (I agree with this) however, wasnt he in the same situation with Matt Jansen? Dont get me wrong, I in no way want to smash open the Matty argument again but how can Souness give advise on something and not use it himself?

Your throwing your money away Mr Sky Sports - poor show, poor show indeed sad.gif

Edited by Cocker

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have loved to have seen Souey's face when Keys said that.

In the words of the Eastenders of soccer am, all us Rovers fans would say "we love, we love it, love it love it love it, we love it, we love it, love it love it, love it." lol. Well i thought it were funny.

As for why Sky hire Souness, i don't quite know.

TBH, before he joined Rovers I always thought Souey was one of the better pundits on Sky. Didn't seem to have any favourites and was always honest in his opinions.

I guess Sky remember those decent games then so rehired him.

Oh and Richard Keyes has stated in the past Souey is one of his favourite studio guests. smile.gif

Well Souness is a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve. Doesnt lie when he talks to the media, offers his honest opinion with no PR bs added. I always liked him, but we grew tired of his lady luck stories.

I still hold no grudges, since we came out for the better at the end.

reason he's on is, souey is a fantastic media man. he is opinionated and talks a good game. i enjoy his annicdotes much more than most on sky. i'd much rather listen to him than partridge, bruce, both redknapps or glenda hoddle!

he'd be a much better manager if he embraced the fitness and man management styles of the moment, instead of the late 80's early 90's.

i hold no grudges against the guy and believe his cosmet surgery has been worth every penny. wink.gif

Jan's favourite Scotsman was also the Sky pundit last Wednesday night for the Arsenal/Real Madrid game.

Let's be fair to him - he's got to earn an extra few pennies these days hasn't he?

I mean the poor guy was sacked last month from Newcastle with a compensation cheque worth only a reported £3million. Peanuts isn't it? How is he going to pay the mortgage these days?

I'm sure the Newcastle fans who forked out the money to pay for his high wages and 18 months of failure under him, must be delighted to see him pontificating about the deficiencies of Arsenal, Liverpool and Real Madrid - when he couldn't get a damn thing right for them at St James' Park....

Jan's favourite Scotsman was also the Sky pundit last Wednesday night for the Arsenal/Real Madrid game.

Let's be fair to him - he's got to earn an extra few pennies these days hasn't he?

I mean the poor guy was sacked last month from Newcastle with a compensation cheque worth only a reported £3million. Peanuts isn't it? How is he going to pay the mortgage these days?

I'm sure the Newcastle fans who forked out the money to pay for his high wages and 18 months of failure under him, must be delighted to see him pontificating about  the deficiencies of Arsenal, Liverpool and Real Madrid - when he couldn't get a damn thing right for them at St James' Park....

390230[/snapback]

I thought the funniest thing was the Puke fans singing "Souness for Sunderland".. They REALLY hate him.

lets hope he does not make sky a laughing stock like he has done with everything else he has done in his career

390376[/snapback]

Short memories some people.

I think you'll recall that Souness was rather good as a pundit on Sky Sports before he became manager of BRFC.

Other than that he has been a bit of a joke though, apart from when he won us promotion, and then there was that League Cup thing and a couple of trips into Europe. Oh and before that he won, as manager, the English FA Cup with Liverpool in 1992; The Scottish Premier League with Rangers in 1990, 1989, 1987 and the Scottish League Cup: 1991, 1989, 1988, 1987; plus the Turkish FA Cup in 1996 with Galatassaray. Oh, nearly forgot, as a player with Liverpool he won the First Division Championship 1978/79, 1979/80, 1981/82, 1982/83 & 1983/84, League/Milk Cup 1981, 1982, 1983 & 1984, European Cup 1978, 1981 & 1984, Charity Shield 1979, 1980 & 1982.

So in retrospect I think it's a little harsh to say that his entire career has been a joke. In fact he's had one or two moments of brief success.

Short memories some people.

I think you'll recall that Souness was rather good as a pundit on Sky Sports before he became manager of BRFC.

Other than that he has been a bit of a joke though, apart from when he won us promotion, and then there was that League Cup thing and a couple of trips into Europe. Oh and before that he won, as manager, the English FA Cup with Liverpool in 1992; The Scottish Premier League with Rangers in 1990, 1989, 1987 and the Scottish League Cup: 1991, 1989, 1988, 1987; plus the Turkish FA Cup in 1996 with Galatassaray. Oh, nearly forgot, as a player with Liverpool he won the First Division Championship 1978/79, 1979/80, 1981/82, 1982/83 & 1983/84, League/Milk Cup 1981, 1982, 1983 & 1984, European Cup 1978, 1981 & 1984, Charity Shield 1979, 1980 & 1982.

So in retrospect I think it's a little harsh to say that his entire career has been a joke. In fact he's had one or two moments of brief success.

390382[/snapback]

But bob, tell me, other than the list of things up there.

What EXACTLY has Souness achieved in his laughable career?

What has Graeme Souness ever achieved in his career?

390428[/snapback]

You must be sh*tting me right?

Is this apart from SEVERAL European Cups, League titles, FA Cups and League Cups whilst being captain of Britains most successful team ever, as well as captain of prbably the best ever Scottish national team as a player?

Adding a managerial trophy cabinet consisting of numerous Scottish titles and Cups (Some of which as a player manager), two English domestic Cups and a promotion, Foreign domestic trophies as manager of some of europes biggest clubs?

Think what you want of Souey as a person, but as far as CV's go, his is probably the envy of most people who have been involved in football at any decent level.

PS... THIS ISN'T AIMED AT AT STU WILKY, BUT AT THE QUOTE IN HIS POST.

Edited by shillito15

You must be sh*tting me right?

Is this apart from SEVERAL European Cups, League titles, FA Cups and League Cups whilst being captain of Britains most successful team ever, as well as captain of prbably the best ever Scottish national team as a player?

Adding a managerial trophy cabinet consisting of numerous Scottish titles and Cups (Some of which as a player manager), two English domestic Cups and a promotion, Foreign domestic trophies as manager of some of europes biggest clubs?

Think what you want of Souey as a person, but as far as CV's go, his is probably the envy of most people who have been involved in football at any decent level.

PS... THIS ISN'T AIMED AT AT STU WILKY, BUT AT THE QUOTE IN HIS POST.

390431[/snapback]

Don't think you read the whole of the thread...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.