BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] W-e-m-b-l-e-y- Is Falling Down,

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roof probs?! The cost of this was originally set at approx £700,000,000 if I rem correctly. Well all this and whats gone before will prob have taken the estimates nearer to a cool Billion now .....as we all knew it would anyway. Coming on the back of recent collapsed roof tragedies in Eastern Europe they may as well pull it down, write it all off as a huge loss and build a carbon copy of the excellent millenium 100 miles north for about £150 million. Sports fans are fickle and the stadium will always be cursed from now on. Then again all the gin and tonic brigade from the FA will live darn sarf I expect so theres no chance of that happening. Dont suppose there ever was in reallity was there?

Hey ho.... laugh.gif

Edited by thenodrog

Roof probs?!  The cost of this was originally set at approx £700,000 if I rem correctly.  Well all this and whats gone before will prob have taken the estimates nearer to a cool Billion now .....as we all knew it would anyway.  Coming on the back of recent collapsed roof tragedies in Eastern Europe they may as well pull it down, write it all off as a huge loss and build a carbon copy of the excellent millenium 100 miles north for about £150 million.  Sports fans are fickle and the stadium will always be cursed from now on.  Then again all the gin and tonic brigade from the FA will live darn sarf I expect so theres no chance of that happening.  Dont suppose there ever was in reallity was there?

Hey ho.... laugh.gif

391955[/snapback]

The millenium Stadium only cost £150 Million Because they only put another teir on top of what was already there on 3 sides and one end the 2 tier stand they didnt touch and is exactly the same as when it was called "Cardiff Arms Park" the end we sat in for the Worthington Cup Final, and then of course the closing roof, so they didnt have to build a staidum from scratch hence the cost involved.

Edited by mattym

today it will be 3ft, tomorrow 10ft blink.gif

391958[/snapback]

Well it's like school where every time you hear the story it changes. First i heard it had fallen down, then i read the first net article and it was 3ft, then another whcih said a metre and that the workers basically have said screw this we're off.

Does this mean that they might build one in birmingham instead? biggrin.gif wishful thinking thumbs-up.gif

Typical Australian builders if you ask me!

Edited by modes98

Bet it was a brown trousers moment for the builders when it happened. It would be interesting to hear whether it was the workmanship or the design that was at fault.

The whole project is a typical British white elephant. I'm not sure we needed a stadium, as the 'England Roadshow' system has been very successful, and with clubs conatantly expanding their stadiums, whose to say Old Trafford will one day be 80,000+ ?. If it was to be built, it should have been in Brum, just as long as David Gold didn't convince the FA that only one club was big enough to call it home...................

As one who has lived through an American "brown elephant" the Big Dig here in Boston (originally about 6 billion, final bill will be 15-20 billion) the killer is that you will still have to pay for the repairs! Shouldn't the company who's poor design and build caused it have to pay? Bet you dollars to donuts they won't.

Not only that, they'll make more of a profit.

Edited by American

All will be forgotten once people see a match there.

it will be the best stadium in the world and hopefully i'll see the rovers at Wenbley again!

Full members cup final was the last time for me!

today it will be 3ft, tomorrow 10ft blink.gif

something has gone wrong somewhere, it's all going to be delayed again and the community shield will now be shown in cardiff!!

391958[/snapback]

My Sunday paper was reporting this as a possibility BEFORE the roof fell in. The FA and Wembley are not able to say when the stadium will be ready as they have no forecast date for when the full scale safety tests can begin. Apparently the Community Shield and the England friendly are in doubt for the beginning of the season. The CS will go to Cardiff and the friendly possibly to OT. Doubt was also raised about the two Euro qualifiers in early September.

Roof probs?!  The cost of this was originally set at approx £700,000 if I rem correctly. 

391955[/snapback]

Japan and Korea managed to build all 20 of their stadia for the last world cup for about £2bn, whilst we can't manage to build one for £700m - ruuuuuuuubbish!!

As one who has lived through an American "brown elephant" the Big Dig here in Boston (originally about 6 billion, final bill will be 15-20 billion) the killer is that you will still have to pay for the repairs! Shouldn't the company who's poor design and build caused it have to pay? Bet you dollars to donuts they won't.

392021[/snapback]

The way I understand it Multiplex are liable for all additional costs pertaining to delays and so forth.

The only way the FA could get screwed is if Multiplex go under themselves.

392021[/snapback]

Not at all! The quote was a fixed price...any extra cost would be shouldered by the contractor! hence they have lost shitloads building it!

In fact they are getting fined for every day it is late completing it.

392104[/snapback]

Very true, as an Australian plc (or equiv.), the share price on Multiplex have dropped. One of the major shareholder's kicked in $50m AUD (£20m) of his own money to 'shoulder' the overheads.

Someone(s) has really stuffed up!

Not at all! The quote was a fixed price...any extra cost would be shouldered by the contractor! hence they have lost shitloads building it!

392098[/snapback]

watching SS NEWS yesterday evening didnt fill me with any confidence. the builders interviewed looked like del boys and they were stuggling to find a brain cell between em.

shouldve got northern builders to build it. southern bias again!

Typical Australian builders if you ask me!

391975[/snapback]

Our problem was hiring English labour, should have sent a ship full of Paki's and Indians to do the job biggrin.gif

If you look at figures and the final product there is no way you can go past the Germans, what they have done to their stadiums for the WC on that budget is amazing.

192 million euros for the Gelsenkirchen Stadium retractable roof, extendable pitch and world class facilites, the reconstruction of the Berlin Olympic 242 million Euros, Waldstadion 126 million euros, they could have built 3 or 4 Wembleys for the same cost.

Our problem was hiring English labour, should have sent a ship full of Paki's and Indians to do the job biggrin.gif

If you look at figures and the final product there is no way you can go past the Germans, what they have done to their stadiums for the WC on that budget is amazing.

192 million euros for the Gelsenkirchen Stadium retractable roof, extendable pitch and world class facilites, the reconstruction of the Berlin Olympic 242 million Euros, Waldstadion 126 million euros, they could have built 3 or 4 Wembleys for the same cost.

392771[/snapback]

Hence why a lot of people didn't want the Olympic games in 2012.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.