This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scolari refuses England job.

Well done the English gutter press.

403014[/snapback]

Its our gutter press who forced the FA into finding a new manager with their dispicable treatment of the best England manager for years. Top marks to Scolari maybe this unsavoury episode may bring a wind of change but I seriously doubt it. Roll on Mclaren / Curbs or Big Sam thrilling eh it would be funny if they each refuse the position as they weren't first choice. Thats a good way we will have you now Mac but we didn't want you really.

I have to agree with Graham Taylor when he says the whole process has been an absolute joke! I wouldn't be surprised if the FA still havent agreed on somebody by the time the world cup rolls around!

Now that they have made it plainly obvious that they are considering forein managers....i would definatley like to think that they would approach some of the Top managers in the Premiership.....Wenger, Mourinho and Benitez......who are all vastly more qualified that the mediocre English boys who have been mentioned!

We all know we'll end up with McClaren though! mad.gif

May I be the first one to say that if he couldn't cope with a couple of dozen reporters camped outside his door, then it's a good job he's turned it down. He wouldn't have lasted.

403030[/snapback]

Youyr absolutely right on that count. He would have been eaten alive.

However the tabloid press in our country is an absolute joke, a cyst upon society. People complain about 'self serving politicians', and corrupt government etc.

If there is one institution that has no worth in any sense (go on, I challenge anybody to come up with a decent defence), it is that bunch of viscious, base and derogotory rags. Pure bile.

I have to agree with Graham Taylor when he says the whole process has been an absolute joke! I wouldn't be surprised if the FA still havent agreed on somebody by the time the world cup rolls around!

Now that they have made it plainly obvious that they are considering forein managers....i would definatley like to think that they would approach some of the Top managers in the Premiership.....Wenger, Mourinho and Benitez......who are all vastly more qualified that the mediocre English boys who have been mentioned!

We all know we'll end up with McClaren though! mad.gif

403028[/snapback]

I don't see why the process has been a joke. An England friendly defeat sends the media into a frenzy, so the selection process for a new manager was bound to create a near riot, regardless of how well/badly it was conducted.

The FA should ignore the unwanted opines of has-beens like Peter Reid and Graham Taylor, interpret the criticisms of current managers dismissively - ie motivated by the old pals act and appoint the most qualified manager. Be he English or foreign.

BTW: There is not a hope in hell that Wenger, Mourinho, Benitez etc would take the England job. It's not worth the bother. To put it frankly, only an idiot or an extreme patriot would give up a job at a prestigious club to become England manager.

i.e Sven (who falls into the former category if you weren't sure).

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! I REALLY WISH I COULD STOP SUPPORTING ENGLAND. NOT ONLY DO WE HAVE TO HOPE THAT THAT SMUG SMARMY SWEDISH SOD LIFTS THE WORLD CUP, NOW WE'RE GOING TO GET A MERCENARY TO WALK OUT ON HIS SECOND COUNTRY TO COME AND PICK THE SAME 11 FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS! HE'S BEEN COACHING RONALDINHO AND DECO, NOW WE WANT HIM TO PICK BETWEEN DARREN BENT AND DEAN ASHTON!! BLOODY JOKE!

IS IT ME OR SHOULD SCOLARI'S NEXT JOB HAVE BEEN AT CAMEROON OR SOUTH KOREA?? IT CERTAINLY SHOULDN'T BE AS THE MANAGER OF THE FOUNDING NATION WITH ONE OF THE BEST DOMESTIC LEAGUES IN THE WORLD!!

I REALLY DO DISPAIR FOR FOOTBALL IN ENGLAND, THE DAVID DEANS OF THIS WORLD ARE RUINING OUR GAME!  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif

402770[/snapback]

I'll start by apologising for calling him a mercenary, the guy does have honour and it appears he decided the England job was not for him and recognised the clash of footballing cultures that Sven has been blind to over the years.

I for one breathed a huge sigh of relief after the translations came on SSN. Scolari's track record was never in doubt, but then again the skills of Pele were never under question, but we can't pick and chose the players we play from a world pool- why should the "best man" get the job at the cost of the essence of national football??

It was never the case, prior to the arrival of Sven, that the England manager had be successful to the point that he had already won European tournaments or even the world cup itself, before he came to this country! Venables and Robson had moderate success at club level, yet their reigns proved to be as popular and successful as any of the post 1966 managers.

What worries me now is that money will still talk. Something may have been lost in translation and David Dean might continue to go for his man. One thing that would put the final nail in the coffin of the national game as a source of pride would be if Scolari was hounded into the job. A line needs to be drawn under this fiasco right now. Scolari will not be the England coach now or ever, lets make our decision on the merits of the English candidates and restore the pride and heritage to our washed out, greed driven, tainted national set up

I'd go for - Ultrablue dont be an idiot.

Its not Sven's or Scolari's fault that there are no english candidates suitable for the job. There arent any, although if I had to I think Fat Sam would have the best chance.

Lets get Reid in

I'd go for - Ultrablue dont be an idiot.

Its not Sven's or Scolari's fault that there are no english candidates suitable for the job. There arent any, although if I had to I think Fat Sam would have the best chance.

Lets get Reid in

403046[/snapback]

Precisely my point Flopsy, its not Scolari's fault we offered him the job! I applaud him for turning it down though! I can only praise him for saving some face and not being dragged into a job he doesn't want. There are English candidates that are suitable precisley because they are English. Why aren't we throwing money at the whole bunch of young Brazilians in order for them to play for England? Then we would be assured of winning with zero national pride!

Edited by ultrablue

I'm so pleased that Big Phil has pulled out. I personally think its an embarrasment to not have a manager from your own country. You certainly wouldn't get Germany, Italy, Brazil etc looking abroad for a manager and neither should we.

As long as he's English I don't care who gets the job, if the 1 who gets it doesn't do well then we can sack him and get someone elese no harm done as in international football everyone has the same players to pick from. Stan Ternant excepted of course.

I doubt if Wenger would be interested. But assuming he did get the job, we would be treated to seeing England playing expansive flowing football, but with a strange tendency for the players to fall over if the wind blew on them. wink.gif

402883[/snapback]

I think Rooney, Owen, Terry and Gerrard have all gained points/matches by diving and none of them play under Wenger. Its unfair to focus on Arsenal's admittedly shameful diving when most other teams have players who regularly do similar acts or worse.

Personally I can't stand people who claim that we need "pride" in our national manager.

No we don't we need to win.

I didn't hear anybody complaining about Sven when we won 5-1 in Germany.

And when we win the World Cup in Germany, people won't complain that Sven isn't English (although they will ask why he was sacked in the first place)

Personally I can't stand people who claim that we need "pride" in our national manager.

No we don't we need to win.

I didn't hear anybody complaining about Sven when we won 5-1 in Germany.

And when we win the World Cup in Germany, people won't complain that Sven isn't English (although they will ask why he was sacked in the first place)

403054[/snapback]

It will be tainted, of course it will! I can't imagine anything more nightmareish than that insipid Swede getting his hands on the World Cup! It would never be him that won it, it would be the likes of Gerrard, Terry and Rooney.

Put it this way- everyone wants McClaren and Boro to win the UEFA, you'll never here them being criticised for having too few Englishmen in their squad- why? English manager doing good against foreign teams

I have a Scandanavian surname, live in Malta, had a maternal Irish grandfather and a maternal Scottish/French grandmother, married into a family born in Kazakhstan, who have lived a lot of their time in Moscow and Vilnius. Seems that three of us are going to be more passionately cheering on England this summer than you ultrablue.

Allardyce???? No way, just imagine England playing Bolton style!! However, Bolton wont have a manager then!!!! And will do!!@@##

403069[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that they would replace him if he left....and not just play without a manager from then on! tongue.gif

It will be tainted, of course it will! I can't imagine anything more nightmareish than that insipid Swede getting his hands on the World Cup! It would never be him that won it, it would be the likes of Gerrard, Terry and Rooney.

Put it this way- everyone wants McClaren and Boro to win the UEFA, you'll never here them being criticised for having too few Englishmen in their squad- why? English manager doing good against foreign teams

403058[/snapback]

I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't think anyone would give a toss ifit was Sven won it. I certainly can't see anybody in fifteen years time going "Yeah we've won the world cup twice. Oh, hang no the second one doesn't count because we had a Swede in charge..."

In ideal world the manager would be English, but I am not sure it is worth compromising our chances of winning a major competition to satisfy.

Our wonderful press are rumoured to be about to do a number on McClaren in tomorrows Sun.  Presume they think they might as well get in early on him now Scolari is out of the frame.

403075[/snapback]

We may aswell employ Shearer now or go for a 16 year old who they can dig little dirt on (maybe he didn't do his homework once or twice).

The media seem intent on wrecking every chance of getting a decent manager and making ti work for england. The english team we currently have is the best we will have for a while and it makes sense to employ the best international manager, with proven record at that level, to guide them. But i guess we wil have to make do with some second rate british manager who knows sweet fa about international management.

Edited by modes98

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.