• Martin O'Neill
    • Alan Curbishley
    • Kevin Keegan
    • Luiz Felipe 'Big Phil' Scolari
    • Fabio Capello
    • Lee Grooby
    • Someone else

This poll is closed to new votes

I just read on Ceefax that the F.A want to appoint a new manager by the end of the week. Who could in really be? Well Curbs did just resign and deny any knowledge of the England job, could he have thrown the media a curveball?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just watched 'big sam' prostitute himself on sky. at first it made me laugh, but on reflection he could do the job.

in international football you dont need to be great at coaching- just good tactically and at 'motivating big time charlies.'

england wouldnt play 'the bolton way', he'd gain the respect of the players and 'sort out'any1 not pulling their weight.

he wont get it for many reasons - but any1 is better than 'phil neale II' and without him bolton would slide out of sight.

steve mcc 'shagging about'! blink.gif i'm not the only 1 that uses money to intice women into bed! wink.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Can someone tell me what Scholari has done?I thought he was nailed on and now he seems to be out of the running completely? Yes I am a bit out of touch at the moment.

Can someone tell me what Scholari has done?I thought he was nailed on and now he seems to be out of the running completely? Yes I am a bit out of touch at the moment.

403635[/snapback]

Doesnt want the job.

Doesnt want or need the hounding of the English press, media camping out on his doorstep.

403635[/snapback]

He pulled out of the running after 20 reporters camped outside his house over night. He said he didn't need those pressures.

403635[/snapback]

said he didnt want the job, after 20 gutter journo's disturbed him having dinner with his wife.

not the real reason- he lost to argentina, in 1 of his 1st games, and had many death threats- and brazil is undoubtedly more pressurised than the england job(they int. players and managers on the pitch, before during and after games and pipe it around on the stadium PA).

he's used england to engineer a better contract with portugal (he used benfica before euro 04). got to applaud the guy's nouce and cant blame him (they are the european brazil- afterall).

I think it's ridiculous to blame the Press for Scolari "resigning" from the job even before he'd got it .

Blame for the whole sorry mess lies entirely at the door of the F.A. The root of the problem is the way they dealt with Sven. If they considered what he had done to be so bad they should have sacked him immediately. If not they should have backed him wholeheartedly, not reached a ridiculous fudged compromise allowing him to stay until after the World Cup.

Ironically after taking exception to Sven discussing a job offer after the World Cup (albeit a fake one) the FA did exactly the same thing by pursuing Scolari who is currently under contract to Portugal. The breaking news must have been intensely embarrassing for Scolari who was on official business with the Portugese FA at the time. Added to that the news that he was "only" being offered 2.5m a year to Sven's 5m and the job must have seemed considerably less appealing. How could Scolari convince his current employers he was fully committed to Portugal? What if Portugal drew England in the latter stagesof the World Cup? And why should any foreign candidate be expected to take the job for less money than Sven?

If the FA intended to include another international manager in their deliberations the selection process should not have occurred until after the World Cup. The make up of the selection panel is fatally flawed anyway. If we really wanted the best manager we'd have gone for Wenger or Mourinho but Dein is never going to recommend Wenger leave Arsenal.

Dreading McClaren getting the job by default. sad.gif Allardyce is the pick of the English candidates for me.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

He pulled out of the running after 20 reporters camped outside his house over night. He said he didn't need those pressures.

403637[/snapback]

That's a complete smokescreen imo. A few reporters outside his house so what?Managing Brazil must be far more pressurised.

a) He probably didn't appreciate being offered half Sven's salary.

b ) He probably didn't appreciate quite how awkward the speculation would make his relationship with his current employers.

In any event he has by luck or design got a vastly improved contract to stay on at Portugal. dry.gif

Edited by RevidgeBlue

I think it's ridiculous to blame the Press for Scolari "resigning" from the job even before he'd got it .

Blame for the whole sorry mess lies entirely at the door of the F.A. The root of the problem is the way they dealt with Sven. If they considered what he had done to be so bad they should have sacked him immediately. If not they should have backed him wholeheartedly, not reached a ridiculous fudged compromise allowing him to stay until after the World Cup.

Ironically after taking exception to Sven discussing a job offer after the World Cup (albeit a fake one) the FA did exactly the same thing by pursuing Scolari who is currently under contract to Portugal. The breaking news must have been intensely embarrassing for Scolari who was on official business with the Portugese FA at the time. Added to that the news that he was "only" being offered 2.5m a year to Sven's 5m and the job must have seemed considerably less appealing. How could Scolari convince his current employers he was fully committed to Portugal? What if Portugal drew England in the latter stagesof the World Cup?  And why should any foreign candidate be expected to take the job for less money than Sven?

If the FA intended to include another international manager in their deliberations the selection process should not have occurred until after the World Cup. The make up of the selection panel is fatally flawed anyway. If we really wanted the best manager we'd have gone for Wenger or Mourinho but Dein is never going to recommend Wenger leave Arsenal.

Dreading McClaren getting the job by default.  sad.gif  Allardyce is the pick of the English candidates for me.

403646[/snapback]

agree with ev.thing said. dein is the man responsible for appointing sven and behind the scolari debacle.

he believes foreign is the way, but for every wenger there are christian gross and (cant remember his name) well- wearing chap that took wimbledon down!

it's staggering that none of this could be done in relative secrecy. they couldve sent some unknown FA worker and their solicitor and no-one wouldve been any the wiser.

it's a sorry mess and offering 'big phil' half of what they paid sven over 7years is laughable (on several counts).

Allardyce is the pick of the English candidates for me.

403646[/snapback]

England under fat sam would be awful. He has got no room to buy in cheap foreign imports and can pick Davies and Nolan for every game, play 4-5-1 and get away with ruining the national game.

I'd rather have pearce in charge and he hasn't had a fantastic run of late.

We have a pool of English managers to pick from.

403144[/snapback]

Problem is, they are all rubbish.

Which one of them would you want managing Rover?

Spot on colin. With the exception of Pearce and Curbishley the available candidates would not raise any excitment if they were coming to Ewood.

Allardyce is a plainly ridiculous choice as he has no experience of managing top international players, no real European experience. His "success" is based on cheap foreign imports at the end of their careers or journeymen PL players. He has no serious track record for the England position.

Pearce - no track record of any description. His only qualification, at a managerial level, is enthusiasm and passion

Curbishley - a clearly intelligent and articulate individual who has achieved a lot at Charlton. One has to ask the question, why has he been there for 15 years?

McClaren - the obvious and most boring choice. Why put a structure in place deisgned to ensure the succession and then ignore it? Other than that McClaren is only the manager of an average PL team going through a purple patch. Big deal.

The whole situation typifies the farce which is English football. Those supposedly responsible for running football at the highest level are, at England level, a bunch of clowns. There is only one certainty in this situation, none of the four candidates is good enough and that the FA have allowed this to become the case is disgraceful. The whole exercise is a joke, the FA is run by individuals with a massive conflict of interest between the PL and the England team. Whatever the result it will be a mess and any of the four "leading" English candidates, if appointed, will fail.

The obvious candidates, top coaches working in the PL, have not been approached. I wonder why that is? Self-interest? No, couldn't possibly be, when have we ever seen the PL and FA demonstrate self-interest?

Not saying the FA aren't a bunch of clowns or anything, but, honestly, I doubt any of the top PL managers would be interested in managing England.

The salary isn't much higher, the personal intrusion far more intense, and there is a lack of the national impulse of pride.

Why exactly would Wenger, Ferguson, Benitez or Mourinho want to manage England? I cannot see a single reason except for the large amounts of holidays to be honest.

Jol is the highest league placed manager who could be tempted IMHO (mainly due to the salary. Really what else is the attraction?). And guess who would be the next after him...

403637[/snapback]

Yeah right. Convenient excuse like I mentioned before, of course there were reporters outside. There would have been if he was seriously linked with ANY major job in international football.

Presumably the rumoured death threats he received may have played some part in it.

Blaming the press already? Red herring.

Which one of them would you want managing Rover?

403726[/snapback]

Sam.

I think he'd be a great England manager (and I'm not saying that as a foreigner). If you compare the talent between Bolton and Brum they are fairly even. If you look at the managers, there is a reason one team is top 10 and the other relegated.

By the way, in years past I have been one of his biggest critics. For me to say he'd be best for the job is a big change in tune.

For the excuse of the "tabloid press" making Scolari not take the offer, funny that it is rumored he will be now signing a 2 year 6 million extension with Portugal.

Allardyce is the man for the job, he must have superb motivational skills to get Bolton where they are and his tactics are usually always spot on.

We dnt want any of these foreigners to have the job i would rather they be english

403726[/snapback]

I think that's a fairly moot point really.

Would Mourinho or Wenger fare as well at Bolton or Charlton as Allardyce and Curbishley?. Probably not.

Conversely, given the money he's had to spend off Steve Gibson I simply don't rate McClaren.

I think that's a fairly moot point really.

Would Mourinho or Wenger fare as well at Bolton or Charlton as Allardyce and Curbishley?. Probably not.

Conversely, given the money he's had to spend off Steve Gibson I simply don't rate McClaren.

403932[/snapback]

Um, I think they would do rather well actually. Mourinho managed to win the CL with Porto with vastly less resources than the like of Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan, Munich...

And Wenger has not, in the grand scheme of things, spent anywhere near the amount of cash that his rivals have if sales are deducted from buys (Anelka, Viera, Petit, Overmars all left for large fees).

I'm still un-decided on who I want.

Looks to be a toss of a coin between McClaren and Big Sam.

Big Sam seems to be wanting more, from what he has said after the Spurs game.

But McClaren looked a bit smug when he was asked a few questions after tonight's game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.