• Martin O'Neill
    • Alan Curbishley
    • Kevin Keegan
    • Luiz Felipe 'Big Phil' Scolari
    • Fabio Capello
    • Lee Grooby
    • Someone else

This poll is closed to new votes

Seems now a straight race between Maclaren and Big Sam unless the FA have a ace up their sleeve but I doubt it.

England will never have a top rate experienced manager because of the excuse we have for press in this country, Scolari managed Brazil and you can imagine how serious they take their football, but their press just write about the manager and the job he does on the pitch not what he gets upto in his private life.

I notice Jim Mk 2 is keeping quiet on this subject tongue.gif

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if I was the FA I would ask our manager to do it. He managed wales for five years and the work he has done at rovers is very very good.

thank goodnenss for rovers that his name is not on there wish list smile.gif

Of course there could be more to this than meets the eye...

Guess I'm the only one who thinks this could be a ploy on the part of Scolari to get a better package? After all, the FA are 'only' offering 3million a year compared to the 4.5million they pay Sven.

As for the press intrusion...Scolari managed Brazil! Their press is just as fickle and intrusive regarding the football team as it is in England. Portugal can hardly be much of a cakewalk regarding media inspection either.

Regarding the Portugal job..."Newspapers also reported that Scolari's decision to withdraw as a candidate to succeed Sven-Goran Eriksson was influenced by death threats from Portuguese football fans upset that he was talking to the FA before this year's World Cup.

"...there was a sinister edge in the Brazilian's claims that threats to Fabricio, his 14-year-old son, were behind his u-turn," wrote The Times.

The Telegraph said: "That (death threats) is likely to provide a more realistic explanation for his amazing u-turn."

Seems like the English press are being used as a convenient scapegoat. As I said, there seems far more to this than meets the eye...

Scolari knows he is the number one choice...and it seems to be he may be haggling. wink.gif Or, other considerations are playing a part. As for journalists camped outside his door...he might be about to agree a deal to be England manager FFS! Of course they will be outside his bloody door!!!

Edited by FourLaneBlue

He had no intention of taking the job in the first place. Dean was under pressure to appoint a successful foreign coach, Barwick wanted someone home grown.

The offer to Scolari was a pathetic smoke screen. The best excuse they could come up with, that one of the world's most successful coaches couldn't handle a few paparazzi ?

Good Grief.

If the English team is going to win the World Cup, then surely it is best to have the back-room staff English as well? Bringing in a foreigner (mercenary?) to get you the World Cup devalues it a bit if you ask me.

None of Curbishley, McLaren or Sam really convinces since they have not managed a top-level club. Might as well go for McLaren as worked with Sven so there is some continuity. Or Peter Taylor.

Sad isn't it, I can't really say I like any of the English candidates but if I HAD to pick one it would be Sam, reluctantly. Only because I dislike him less than McClaren, at least Sam has a bit of fire in his belly. What a mess. I think Martin O'Neill would be my choice.

If the English team is going to win the World Cup, then surely it is best to have the back-room staff English as well? Bringing in a foreigner (mercenary?) to get you the World Cup devalues it a bit if you ask me.

None of Curbishley, McLaren or Sam really convinces since they have not managed a top-level club. Might as well go for McLaren as worked with Sven so there is some continuity. Or Peter Taylor.

403134[/snapback]

Why does it devalue it? We're talking about what happens on the pitch, as long as the man can get them in a position to play the best they can who cares where he is from.

Why does it devalue it? We're talking about what happens on the pitch, as long as the man can get them in a position to play the best they can who cares where he is from.

403141[/snapback]

Because it is the ENGLISH FOOTBALL TEAM!! lets get down to basics here, this is not club football, we cant pick ronaldihno, so why do you think we can pick Scolari? I know there is no rule against it, but for the sake of the essence of National football teams, the coach should be English. Its not like we are an up and coming footballing country that needs a helping hand from a foreign coach, like South Korea did, like the African nations do. We have a pool of English managers to pick from

Because it is the ENGLISH FOOTBALL TEAM!! lets get down to basics here, this is not club football, we cant pick ronaldihno, so why do you think we can pick Scolari? I know there is no rule against it, but for the sake of the essence of National football teams, the coach should be English.

We have a pool of English managers to pick from

403144[/snapback]

Surely it comes down to who is going to give the english team the best chance of winning a major tournament, their nationality is not important. If, as there is at the moment, no english manager is good enough to take the job why give it to one just because they are english. It makes sense to give it to the man who can bring the best out of the players and win tournaments.

We can't pick goofy but we have roonaldo anyway, this is a fantastic group of players that deserves the best manager the FA can get, whether he be british, mexican or plutonian.

When sven said he was leaving my first thoughts where to an english manager but there are none that fill me with any hope of success, who knows maybe McLaren is the next big thing, but for me the best qualified man should always be getting the national job and nationality should play a very minor role.

I think the press have a lot to answer for.

Sven Goran Ericsson - they stitched him up. All he was doing was exploring his options knowing he would leave the England job sooner or later. They also constantly hound him over his private life which has nothing to do with his ability to manage a football team.

Glen Hoddle - Ok, so he might be a bit of a fruit loop but the press hounded him out and constantly made fun over his Eileen Drury connections.

Terry Venables - arguably one of our best post war coaches yet the tabloids couldn't resist chipping away because of his 'dodgy business dealings'.

Bobby Robson - almost lost his job because of the press. Took us as close to winning the World Cup as anyone in 1990.

Graeme Taylor - the press acted disgustingly towards him (Turnip Taylor). He may have had his shortcomings as England manager but it was no excuse to villify the man.

Gus Hiddink and now Scolari have pulled out of the race because of the mentality of the press. 20 of them camped outside Scolaris house is taking it too far, even before the bloke accepted the job ! The press are even unearthing aspects of McLaren's private life now !

I think we should give the job to a group of tabloid hacks with Talksports Mike Parry as head coach. They obviously know how to run the England team given their constant critisism of whoever is in charge.

One final word - the News of the World is a disgusting waste of paper who should be thoroughly ashamed of what they have done to Ericsson. I am not an Ericsson supporter but their actions were a discrace. And please, for the love of God, dont give the job to McLaren.

Accyrover

Edited by accyrover

Football "writer" must be the least results driven job in the country. They constantly spout meaningless, irrelevant and often downright untrue opinions and there is little or no effect in being wrong. The sales of newspapers are very rarely related to the quality of their work so it is, frankly, money for old rope.

So I agree - let's have a round-robin approach to the England job - they can take a couple of games each and see how they get on. But of course they wouldn't, because it would mean actually being judged on results...

I'm resigned to Mr McClaren now

If it now has to be an English manager, it has to be Fat Sam. He may not be such a long ball merchant with better players at his disposal.

403138[/snapback]

hate fat sam but it would be kool just to shg bolton up

Haven't read the papers recently, but I am told there are stories about McClaren shagging his secretary? Well, back when we played 'Boro in the cup, the guy sitting next to me, who had a friend working at The Riverside, said that apparently the reason Boateng wasn't signing a contract was because he and McClaren were both shagging teh same secretary... Well it looks as if he was right about one thing at least!

Sometimes "my friends brother's mate Jeff" stories can be true... unsure.gif

Edited by tcj_jones

403141[/snapback]

Who puts them on the pitch? Who organises them? Who makes tactical substitutions? Who is the first to get the chop if the team doesn't perform? The manager.

The success of the team is due, in some substantial part to the manager.

If Sven Goran Dikineverybirdsen wins the World Cup with England it will be 80% England's World Cup and 20% Sweden's.

I don't want some geezer taking charge of the team because it's just another job. It's got to be someone English who understands what it means to the country, who wants to do well in the job, because more than anything he is a fan of his own country.

I don't actually think the job's that difficult. Not tactically. The club managers instill tactical sense in the players. International managers don't have the players that long to start messing about in that sense. Pick your best 11, get them in the right positions then get them to go and play. We don't need a foreigner on a massive salary to do that for us. I think foreign managers are over-rated and we should show more belief in those we have, it might open the flood-gates for English managers to get the top jobs.

having said that, please not Curbishley, i just can't see him doing a good job.

Classic comment from Hughes about the appointment of the England manager when being questioned about how the constant speculation over the vacant England job could have been unsettling for Curbishley.

It should have been done and dusted a long time ago, but it is always difficult when you have got a committee.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.