BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reidy!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no doubt that come January we need to buy a central midfielder.

The news on Reid is a huge blow - but let's take the positives. If he can get back with a month or so to go in the season it will be like signing a new player - to help our march towards the Uefa cup and a top 6 finish.

Sidwell would be my choice of replacement. Dunn has to be considered - but the reality is Reid will probably play more games than Dunn from January onwards.

Is Sidwell out of contract in the summer? I know he has turned down a couple of Readings offers.

We need to be very conservative with our use of Tugay and savage to a degree (both the wrong side of 30). I'd like to say Gally could slot into the middle but he is more light weight than Tugay!

We need to be very conservative with our use of Tugay and savage to a degree (both the wrong side of 30). I'd like to say Gally could slot into the middle but he is more light weight than Tugay!

I don't see how we can be conservative in their use though? (aside from resting them in Carling Cup games etc). Our only real other option is to play Mokoena...I hope that the signing of a central midfielder in January will not be too late. I would like to think however that Hughes believes he has options, because where as most of us thought that we were short in that department he obviously didn't.

I don't see how we can be conservative in their use though? (aside from resting them in Carling Cup games etc). Our only real other option is to play Mokoena...I hope that the signing of a central midfielder in January will not be too late. I would like to think however that Hughes believes he has options, because where as most of us thought that we were short in that department he obviously didn't.

To be conservative with them we don't necessarily have to rest them completely, as you suggest in the Carling Cup. That is no doubt something that will be considered.

What I was pointing more towards is when we have a week like the current one. 3 games in 8 days, it is difficult for any professional to play at the top of their game.

I would consider not starting Tugay for either the Krakow or Bolton game. Mokoena has let nobody down so far this season. At a push it may be possible for Tugay to play 60 minutes in both, but there comes a point when he becomes a passenger.

While Savage is going strong now - he will burn out. The more jaded he becomes the more vunerable he is to rash challenges and second yellows.

Mokoena is a real athlete and that is something we need to make full use of.

At first, I had huge shock I didn't know his injury so serious.

I do hope Steven Reidy will fully recover soon.

I'm really looking foward to watch his superb aggressive preformance and thunderbolt shoots (scores).

It's big blow for us (& him).

Now, I don't conjure the right player to replace him....

That is a huge blow for Rovers. He was easily one of our best players last season and he was really starting to show what he was able to do in the league. We will definately need to bring a midfielder in now, Tugay can't play every game. We'll have to look for players who are out of contract, so we can bring them in now and not January. I've mentioned Vikash Dhorasso in another thread, who was sacked by PSG, he could be bought in now.

Dhorasso could plug a gap in the squad, and then we should buy a younger creative midfielder in Janurary or in the summer.

You would think that Hughes would know every possible player that could be brought in immediately...and this guy must be top of that list.

Would he be eligable to play in Europe?

with rovers current form, it'd be easy to say we're not missing him, but i believe we are.

i've given the guy serious pelters in the past, but towards the end of last season he was starting to rediscover his millwall form.

a real shame, for him and us. all the best, reidy.

You would think that Hughes would know every possible player that could be brought in immediately...and this guy must be top of that list.

Would he be eligable to play in Europe?

I'm not sure if he played for PSG, when they play Derry City in the Uefa Cup. My gut feeling is that he did, I think it was the last time he played for PSG. I wouldn't let this get in the way to be honest, Tugay could play in the Uefa Cup games and Dhorasso in the Premiership. He would bring real creativity to the team and even though he isn't a long term option, having him for a year or two could be a good deal for both parties.

we have got bentley, savage, mokoena, tugay and gallagher that can all play center midfield, so i think we are ok until january when we will almost definatly sign dunn back.

Brad could play centre midfield aswell as some of those you list. We need some quality there.

we have got bentley, savage, mokoena, tugay and gallagher that can all play center midfield, so i think we are ok until january when we will almost definatly sign dunn back.

Paul Gallagher playing centre midfield? Tugay and Savge are our midfield at the moment. Mokoena is the one who covers for them. Bentley plays on the right wing and has shown that he isn't yet up to playing in the middle. So Mokoena is the only other recognised centre midfielder that we have, that's far from alright.

As for Dunn resigning, I don't why we would deserve that.

Dunn was good when he wasn't fat or injuried, so that wasn't very often. He hasn't done anything for Birmingham in the Championship to deserve a move back to the Premiership. Talent wise there is no comparison, effort, attitude, consistency and fitness wise, Savage comes out on top every time. Bentley and Gallagher could play there at a push, but I wouldn't expect us to win too many games.

dunn is a quality player better than savage ever has or ever will be.

Ability yes influence no. I cannot readily think of any Prem manager that would prefer Dunn to Savage given both their records over the last 3 years.

As for Gallagher playing centre mid 'if things got desperate'...... they'd have to get downright bloody catastrophic for that never mind desperate. :rolleyes:

We are in a bit of trouble, though in my opinion the player I'd rather see put into the centre of midfield after Savage, Tugay and Mokoena would be Emerton. It would be shame given how well he has been playing at right back, but I can't think of anyone else who we have that would do a better job, unless we are prepared to change formation or bring someone in from the youth team.

cant see it being a season long loan because we need a midfielder anyway, i think we should splash out on a quality player someone like pirlo, maniche or del assendro. or maybe someone english like reo-cocker or barton.

Edited by pick32

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.