BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

The appeal of The Fall is that they are always different, but I'm sorry - that track where he's singing with his missus about u-boats is taking the p*ss.[/color]

Just another crappy track from MES. We've had them before, we'll have them again.

No doubt you can live with it. I think I can.

Any LP that gives a name-check to Ramsbottom is OK by me

Where are Pelican playing? anywhere in the UK? I quite like Red Sparowes aswell infact i think both bands include members from Isis am i right?

Only Red Sparowes, most of the Pelican guys are from Tusk.

They (Pelican) are playing Glasgow on April 17th, so I'd imagine they'll be in a town near you around the same date. :)

Edited by Radagast

Must be my age but I'm getting sick and tired of older records being ripped off by so called artists, and new inferior releases laying cancerous eggs in my ears.

I can put up with most of them, reassured that I prefer the original and they can just get on with it. Until yesterday.

Jamelia has dumped her own vocal over 'Golden Brown' by the Stranglers. Is nothing sacred ?

Just been to see 'the bees' at Northumbria Uni. Was absolutely quality. I don't think they are that well known, but I reccomend them to anybody.

I saw The Bees when they supported Oasis at the city of Manchester stadium. They were ok but their sound engineer should have been sacked because the all around feel wasnt right. The Coral who came on after them sounded much better.

A couple of top tunes from them though (I am ashamed to say that I first heard of them when I heard one of their tunes used on a car ad and I decided I liked them)

Edited by Cocker

Just got the new Arcade Fire album. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the first one but it's a fantastic album. Not as immediate as Funeral but it's a grower. Going to see them at the Apollo tomorrow - can't wait.

I saw The Bees when they supported Oasis at the city of Manchester stadium. They were ok but their sound engineer should have been sacked because the all around feel wasnt right. The Coral who came on after them sounded much better.

I must say after seeing Oasis a few times, The Coral have been completely disappointing every time I've seen them supporting. I just can't understand what people see in them.

A couple of my favourite songs at the moment:

The Twang - Wide Awake

The Enemy - Away From Here

Currently Listening:

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Patrick Wolf - The Magic Postion

The Shins - Wincing The Night Away

Also looking foward to the new Arctic Monkeys and White Stripes albums that are due out this year. :)

The Bees are good, they seemed to be almost of the verge of making it pretty big after the last album but seem to have slipped back into the relatively unknown.

Having a 90's revival in the car to work the last few days, with the classics from Carter USM, Kingmaker, Neds atomic dustbin etc blasting out :tu:

Alright fella's,

I know this may not be the best thread for this, but I figured I'd come to the source and not start a whole new thread...

I'm visiting your parts in September I want to sample to live music scene either in liverpool or Manchester. I had sworn to not step foot in Manchester, but I've been increasingly told that a lot of the good bands visit Manchester and nothing else when they're in those parts, so my hand may be forced...

My musical taste is far-ranging. My favorites range from The Pixies to Lightning Hopkins to Chemical Brothers to kenna to Radiohead/Muse to TV on the Radio to The Eels to The Dissociatives to The Duke Spirit to The Strokes to Orbital to Atmosphere to well, all over the board...This is my MySpace page for a more complete list of musical likes...

At any rate since my visit is so far away, are there any clubs in Liverpool or Manchester or points in between that host such bands that play the same type of music as the ones listed above? For example, there is a club here in Dallas which plays pretty much the music I like...click here Now evidently this place is going under, but you get the idea. Anyway, I'd like to even see some local talent I'd have never heard of in the States so if I found a venue which showcased such music as well as "amateurs" I'd probably be more inclined to find something I like rather than walk into something crappy, ya dig?

I am also interested in going to a DJ show or two, but I'm not sure too many of the contributors to this thread will know/like this type of music, so just let it die if yer not keen...

At any rate Thanks a lot in advance for any advice, suggestions, directions, and the like!

Definitely visit the Night & Day Café in Manchester, they have bands on virtually every night, I'm sure you'll hear something you like. It's situated about 5-10 minutes walk from Piccadilly station, right in the centre of town, so you shouldn't have trouble finding it. It's a small place but a really cool venue. If you do go here you could also pop into the Dry Bar next door, it is/was (I forget now) owned by New Order. From what I remember it has pieces of 'Madchester' memorabilia around the place, worth stopping in for a drink at least.

If you have time you could also check out The Roadhouse. They don't play bands as often so you'd have to check on the website to see if there were any playing around the time you were in Manchester, but that's also a good place for local/unknown bands. This one is also right in the centre of town, so again no trouble to find.

If you could provide a rough estimate for dates I'll try and help more, I'll probably be checking for myself anyway.

Edited by LeChuck

Places in Manchester that show live music:

Manchester Academy

Apollo

MEN Arena

Night and Day Cafe

The Lowry

Ritz Nightclub

Roadhouse

Night clubs that have indie nights:

5th Avenue

Late Room (Friday night I think - also has the odd gig on)

There's others as well but I can't be arsed looking them up. A quick Google should find them easy enough. Give us a shout if you want to know anything specific.

Edited by Scotty

PLEASE don't go to 5th Avenue. The Late Room isn't bad but it is very cramped at Weekends (specials nights Club Biscuit and Plastic Surgery). MEN Arena/Apollo etc aren't really part of the Manchester music scene, they just play bands that are touring the country. There are plenty of other places bands play too (Jabex Clegg etc) but it's difficult to recommend those without knowing dates. Night & Day Café is a must though.

Thanks LeChuck and Scotty for the suggestions. The Night and Day Cafe and Roadhouse look like good spots. And The Barfly in Liverpool looks good as well.

ihateburnley - I'm liking that band The Enemy you're touting. I'll have to look out for them when I come over.

Any other local lads (Manchester, Liverpool or Blackburn way) that are worth a listen, and maybe see when I get over there?

For those of a certain vintage (eg AS I suspect......)

Not sure they do a listen again so Friday morning might be the only chance to catch this. Heard Andy Kershaw on Desert Island Discs the other day. Never been the biggest fan but thought it was a fine listen, with a sprinkling of musical gems eg White Man in Hammersmith Palais. Short notice but recommended if you have chance to listen.

I've just watched a music video of some mayorettes in green jackets playing all sorts of musical instruments.

I've definitly hire them for half time entertainment at Ewood,or better still as drummers.

Does anybody know the video I'm on about, if so , I've love to download it :tu:

Thanks LeChuck and Scotty for the suggestions. The Night and Day Cafe and Roadhouse look like good spots. And The Barfly in Liverpool looks good as well.

ihateburnley - I'm liking that band The Enemy you're touting. I'll have to look out for them when I come over.

Any other local lads (Manchester, Liverpool or Blackburn way) that are worth a listen, and maybe see when I get over there?

I've seen a Scouse play when they were up here called The Maybes. Quality live band, check them out on MySpace or something before hand to check if they're your cup of tea. They have released a debut EP called 'Olympus' I think.

I've just watched a music video of some mayorettes in green jackets playing all sorts of musical instruments.

I've definitly hire them for half time entertainment at Ewood,or better still as drummers.

Does anybody know the video I'm on about, if so , I've love to download it :tu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcK_meFtnbA

Too good to you

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.