BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pedersen

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will any of our squad be at Euro 2008, we always seems to be woefully underrepresented at international tournaments.

The only player I can think of that will have a chance is Ooijer.

I'd rather they all get a rest to be honest. If the FA pull out this ridiculous, profit spinning, Home Nations rubbish I for one hope all of our UK players claim injury.

I would imagine UEFA/Platinini will step in sharpish to kill the home nations idea.

Euro 2008's economics have taken a battering already with the strongest football economy no longer interested and the global media market value dropping because of no English or Beckham involvement. The last thing they'll want at UEFA HQ is the English broadcasters saving their pennies from Switzerland and Austria because they are bidding for Home Nations coverage.

You are kidding, right? Sometimes that auld English arrogance comes out of no-where.

The fact is, that even without Englands involvement, a significant percentage of viewers will watch Euro 2008, if only to say "we could have beaten them." And the qualifying nations have quite the television audience, as well as passionate and committed on-site fans. F-all people care that the England bandwagon won't be rolling into town.

Unless, of course, you have reputable figures to back that up.

You are kidding, right? Sometimes that auld English arrogance comes out of no-where.

The fact is, that even without Englands involvement, a significant percentage of viewers will watch Euro 2008, if only to say "we could have beaten them." And the qualifying nations have quite the television audience, as well as passionate and committed on-site fans. F-all people care that the England bandwagon won't be rolling into town.

Unless, of course, you have reputable figures to back that up.

So what would happen if an Irish bandwagon came into the Euro's?

Daren that post was tosh, im English and im not arrogant, so dont sterotype/racist.

Daren that post was tosh, im English and im not arrogant, so dont sterotype/racist.

racist? ffs! Dunnfc dont play the bloody racist card here. Fortunately I'm English so it's quite ok for me to call you a stupid English pratt.

Edited by thenodrog

To answer Daren's post, the current estimate is that England not being at the Euros will wipe a cool £1 billion off UK expenditure during the period of the competition next summer compared with what it would have been had England been there (Scotland not being there has little impact- the Scots would have watched to cheer whoever was playing against England).

I read that English non-participation would knock about 15% off Euro 2008 total revenue. That is both the impact on the UK audience and on the attractiveness to the anglophone global audience.

TV rights to Croatia are probably only worth a fraction of the value of TV rights in the Republic.

I read that English non-participation would knock about 15% off Euro 2008 total revenue. That is both the impact on the UK audience and on the attractiveness to the anglophone global audience.

TV rights to Croatia are probably only worth a fraction of the value of TV rights in the Republic.

I guess that this means new rules will be brought in to give us a points start in future.

So what would happen if an Irish bandwagon came into the Euro's?

Hmm, I've no idea what would happen if the Irish bandwagon went into the Euros. I'm sure everyone would enjoy it, though :D. I was, of course, stereotyping, don't take it personally!

To answer Daren's post, the current estimate is that England not being at the Euros will wipe a cool £1 billion off UK expenditure during the period of the competition next summer compared with what it would have been had England been there (Scotland not being there has little impact- the Scots would have watched to cheer whoever was playing against England).

Well I suppose my point is that that figure seems completely unrealistic. 1 billion from where? First, a significant percentage will still watch any high-profile or interesting games. This is true both here in the Republic and in the UK - there are a lot of football addicts. Second, the assumption has been made that the worldwide anglophone audience watches because of England. I feel that that's a bit of a leap. With many of the major players still making it, the competition is still more than high profile enough.

Not that anyone doubts having mad dogs and Englishmen (it's a quote, not aimed at anyone!) at the competition would increase revenue, but as I said, the level quoted seems ridiculous.

Simple sums.

English clubs get the highest pay out from the Champs League because the English pool is the biggest because the British market is by far the most valuable in Europe- hard fact. About 20% of CL revenue is UK derived.

So replace that 20% with the pie Croatia brings to the party.

The £1 billion figure is a Treasury estimate of the reduction in expenditure within the UK economy because of England's non-participation. Ask G. Brown, not me...

Anyway, got a feeling MGP will score against Fulham tomorrow and that it will have a negligible effect on the balances at the Bank for International Settlements...

Edited by philipl

see if we can get some money for him in january. you can say all you like about there not being enough left sided midfielders around, but im sure we can find someone as good as him and have money to spare. he's been abysmal for far too long.

Cant be doing with him.

Should be saying "tata" next month :angry:

He shows glimpses of why we love him but they are all to rare for my liking. Needs a Hughes boot up his arse and if it doesn't work then we may have to start looking around unless Peter or Treacy will step up in the near future.

i did not get to see the game this morning, as i recorded it to watch before going to work. i switch on the tv well and truely after the game should have finished, and low and behold...i see the score in the 93rd minute jsut as the ref is blowing his final whistle!!!! not happy.

anyway, i am starting to agree with a lot of people on morten now as i think his lethergy around the park is far far too often. i don't expect him to produce the goods every single game he plays, cause it don't work like that. however, the talent that the guy has is obvious for us all to see and in agreeing with modes, it either needs a sparky kick up the bum or to ship him out if that don't don't work.

That miss with the header has to be one of the worst of the season.

Very disappointing he was again, we can all go on about him being a confidence player and that once he scores he'll be back to his best, but really?

Can't see it im afraid.

That miss with the header has to be one of the worst of the season.

Very disappointing he was again, we can all go on about him being a confidence player and that once he scores he'll be back to his best, but really?

Can't see it im afraid.

Is it time to push Warnock forward into left midfield and play Olsson at left back?

Hughes was getting noticeably pi*sed off with MGP today.

I can see Dunn being deployed there on Wednesday and when the time is right, Treacy will get his chance (really looking forward to seeing him play, as he is a class act).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.