BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pedersen

As someone else said, a player like Petrov is what we need. A bit of pace and some crossing/dribbling ability. There are plenty of players out there who can do the job....

Considering Petrov is a cut above virtually every left winger in the Premiership I'm not sure thats true. How many decent left wingers are there in the the Prem? I can't think of too many at clubs at our level or below.

From the perspective of the next few games it might be worth giving Dunn an extended run at the Left midfield spot apart from the problem of how we are going to cover central midfield...

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the perspective of the next few games it might be worth giving Dunn an extended run at the Left midfield spot apart from the problem of how we are going to cover central midfield...

Don't fret Joey...Moko is back from International duty :(

Better to have a full squad and all that though I guess :)

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Don't fret Joey...Moko is back from International duty :(

Better to have a full squad and all that though I guess :)

On overall effectiveness which would people go for out of:

a:

Gamst---Dunn---Reid---Bentley

or b:

Dunn-------------Reid---Bentley

---------Mokoena

or c:

Dunn---Tugay---Reid---Bentley

I find it hard to pick one. I guess I would go for c considering we have so few games now that Toogs can get a proper rest between them. Hopefuly Reid's fitness improving will allow him to cover the aging Turk too aswell.

On overall effectiveness which would people go for out of:

a:

Gamst---Dunn---Reid---Bentley

or b:

Dunn-------------Reid---Bentley

---------Mokoena

or c:

Dunn---Tugay---Reid---Bentley

I'm surprised that I see myself edging towards B - even though it includes the Axe. It just allows some of the more attacking players a bit more freedom.

Id go with B too - Mokoena isnt as bad as people are making out! When we were missing Reid & Savage at the start, he did a very good job for us.

His job is defensive midfield, if given that task, he can do it very well - play him out of position and he cant! Simple really!

I still think Morten can re-discover his talent. You dont just lose ability like that - he will come good!

I played left wing when we (SMC) beat Witton Park 2-1 in the 1969/70 Blackburn Schools Final at Ewood.

Hmmm now.....I would settle for £1500 per week and for that I would guarantee you three (yes, three) good crosses each game - that's three more than we get from the left at present. I would also drop 50% of my corners on the penalty spot. The other 50% would hit the first man but hey, what the heck. :brfc:

I'm surprised that I see myself edging towards B - even though it includes the Axe. It just allows some of the more attacking players a bit more freedom.

That central midfield is very very fragile - Axe did play well for a bit but then returned to his more normal standard (i.e. poor).

That central midfield is very very fragile - Axe did play well for a bit but then returned to his more normal standard (i.e. poor).

One of the major reasons that Axe was playing very badly a period, was the fact that he was in midfield together with Toogs. It is not possible to play Mokoena and Toogs together, than you don't have any pace or attacking abilities, except toogs long passes. I think therefore I would choose b ) too, because I think Mokoena would be able to do decent work on the midfield together with Reid.

Edited by alexanders

There is no doubt that we should try selling Gamst in the summer while his reputation is still fairly high. Just look at what other fans answer when they talk about our "danger men", hopefully there are some managers out there with the same view. With the crazy prices in the Premier League I'm sure we can get around £5m for him, which might leave around £3-4m for Hughes to spend.

As someone else said, a player like Petrov is what we need. A bit of pace and some crossing/dribbling ability. There are plenty of players out there who can do the job....

The thing about MGP, at least for me, is that although I would sell him, I also wouldn't be surprised to see him be a big success elsewhere. He certainly has talent, in the right team he would be a very good player, as he was earlier for us. I still think he will turn it around eventually.

:rover: and what a match for hughesy love child to miss,the arse at the emirates.tuesday morning will be fill off posts off how we missed the norwegian beckham,lets hope sparky picks peter/treacy than the useless berner :brfcsmilie:

:rover: played a blinder there sparky :brfcsmilie:

"Blackburn need to improve," says Pedersen

May I suggest that when Pedersen speaks about the need for the team's home form to improve, he firstly needs to take a look at his own performances at Ewood, which have been shocking this season.

Pedersen though seems to think that his own form has turned the corner. "I think my form is coming back," he says. Frankly I've seen no evidence of any big improvement from him recently. He's still struggling to dribble, beat a man and deliver a decent cross. He's only managed two goals in cup competitions this season, with no Premiership goals for over a year. If he thinks he's playing better now, then by god he was awful before.

For Pedersen to indicate that his team-mates "need to do better" is a bit like Harold Shipman telling other doctors that they need to improve patient care.

For Pedersen to indicate that his team-mates "need to do better" is a bit like Harold Shipman telling other doctors that they need to improve patient care.

I was about to ask whether that was a bit of an extreme comparison but, on reflection, I'm not sure it was. Perhaps I should be saying that this, maybe, is in bad taste but, then again, I did laugh out loud when I read it... :lol:

According to norwegian press (who claims to be in-the-know) Morten Gamst Pedersen is now negotiating a new contract as his current one expires in 2010. Fair enough, but if the norwegian press is to be believed Gamst's contract today is worth NOK 18m a year, which transfers to around £33k/week.

Now for the crazy part!

The contract his agents are now negotiating for is believed to be worth around NOK 30m a year. This equals to around £55k/week, something that will give Gamst a nice wage increase of about 67%.

Hopefully this is all a load of crap! How the hell can you put in one poor performance after the other and still get a wage increase of nearly 70pst? Football have officially gone mad if this happens to be the case...

According to norwegian press (who claims to be in-the-know) Morten Gamst Pedersen is now negotiating a new contract as his current one expires in 2010. Fair enough, but if the norwegian press is to be believed Gamst's contract today is worth NOK 18m a year, which transfers to around £33k/week.

Now for the crazy part!

The contract his agents are now negotiating for is believed to be worth around NOK 30m a year. This equals to around £55k/week, something that will give Gamst a nice wage increase of about 67%.

Hopefully this is all a load of crap! How the hell can you put in one poor performance after the other and still get a wage increase of nearly 70pst? Football have officially gone mad if this happens to be the case...

Thats got to be nonsense. We can't afford it, nor would we want to pay it. I guess the agents angle will be there are some lunatics in the league (I'm thinking Newcastle and West Ham) who might pay that sort of money so he could move on there. In order to do so he would have to turn out some decent performances though.

I can see the argument for extending Benni's contract (although not increasing his money). Just cannot fathom why we would increase Pedersen's salary- I would confidently back Hughes to find someone who brings as much to the team for 4m or less.

Quick word about MGP's rare good game yesterday. He's been heavily criticised by many including me, and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to point out that one swallow doesnt make a summer, but...

The difference today was something I've touched on before. When he was well regarded MGP's game was always about scoring goals from midfield. His general play was always just OK but his strikes made him look better than he was. Quite a number of his goals (both headers and volleys) were a result of him arriving late at the back post. These runs seemed to dry up the minute he missed 'that' header against Chelsea at OT.

This season he has very rarely ventured into the danger area, instead lingering either too wide or too deep when the ball is on the opposite wing. It has looked almost as though he is 'not interested' or 'scared' to make the run incase the ball does come to him.

It was interesting today that a number of times in the first half he was coming infield at the back post. His much-needed goal was also as a result of him arriving late. Maybe during the break the coaching staff have had a quiet word and we'll see more of him doing this.

It remains to be seen whether he can continue for the remaining games. I'd guess at no.

Quick word about MGP's rare good game yesterday. He's been heavily criticised by many including me, and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to point out that one swallow doesnt make a summer, but...

The difference today was something I've touched on before. When he was well regarded MGP's game was always about scoring goals from midfield. His general play was always just OK but his strikes made him look better than he was. Quite a number of his goals (both headers and volleys) were a result of him arriving late at the back post. These runs seemed to dry up the minute he missed 'that' header against Chelsea at OT.

This season he has very rarely ventured into the danger area, instead lingering either too wide or too deep when the ball is on the opposite wing. It has looked almost as though he is 'not interested' or 'scared' to make the run incase the ball does come to him.

It was interesting today that a number of times in the first half he was coming infield at the back post. His much-needed goal was also as a result of him arriving late. Maybe during the break the coaching staff have had a quiet word and we'll see more of him doing this.

It remains to be seen whether he can continue for the remaining games. I'd guess at no.

Something's changed - not just in MGP but in the other players, too. He was getting a lot more of the ball than he has been lately, when players have been taking on a difficult pass to other players rather than an easy one to Ped.

Something's changed, I can't explain what.

It's not as simple as that. A great part of MGP's game is the amount of defensive work he puts in, he's been doing that all season, but it goes mostly unnoticed. Where his game has been well below par, apart from the lack of goals, is in his control and his passing. Yesterday both were much better. If he can pass well and keep control of the ball then I don't mind if he doesn't score another goal all season. He's not simply a goalscorer, he can do more than that and he needs to do more than that.

It's not as simple as that. A great part of MGP's game is the amount of defensive work he puts in, he's been doing that all season, but it goes mostly unnoticed. Where his game has been well below par, apart from the lack of goals, is in his control and his passing. Yesterday both were much better. If he can pass well and keep control of the ball then I don't mind if he doesn't score another goal all season. He's not simply a goalscorer, he can do more than that and he needs to do more than that.

You are wrong. There has been a lot of nonsense talked about his defensive qualitites. He has been abysmal defensively as well as in an attacking sense all year. If putting in a defensive shift consists of running back, on the wrong side of the attacker, looking at the ball as if it were an alien and generally doing everything wrong (tackling at inopportune times, not tackling when it's been possible), then he's been putting one in. If it involved anything else, he hasn't. His input, in the past, has been his goals, because he certainly has never been good at other things. If he scores goals, he's probably worth keeping. If he doesn't, he isn't.

Wasn't at the game yesterday so cannot comment on the improvement. Will be interested to see if it continues.

You are wrong. There has been a lot of nonsense talked about his defensive qualitites. He has been abysmal defensively as well as in an attacking sense all year. If putting in a defensive shift consists of running back, on the wrong side of the attacker, looking at the ball as if it were an alien and generally doing everything wrong (tackling at inopportune times, not tackling when it's been possible), then he's been putting one in. If it involved anything else, he hasn't. His input, in the past, has been his goals, because he certainly has never been good at other things. If he scores goals, he's probably worth keeping. If he doesn't, he isn't.

Wasn't at the game yesterday so cannot comment on the improvement. Will be interested to see if it continues.

I agree his defensive qualities aren't great. The only thing he does do in that respect, which I think the manager must like, is to keep the general 'shape' of the team. Not sure how that justifies a starting spot all season but it has done.

I've been an MGP baiter for most of the seaosn (although not quite in your league Jan <_< ). However you'll have to take my word for it that he was refreshingly decent on Sunday. I'm not saying he was anywhere near MOM, he just contributed which is all we ask. Whether it continues or not I don't know. You don't get many fullbacks as bad as that bald guy Bolton had. However that can't detract from his best performance for months IMO.

I agree his defensive qualities aren't great. The only thing he does do in that respect, which I think the manager must like, is to keep the general 'shape' of the team. Not sure how that justifies a starting spot all season but it has done.

I've been an MGP baiter for most of the seaosn (although not quite in your league Jan <_< ). However you'll have to take my word for it that he was refreshingly decent on Sunday. I'm not saying he was anywhere near MOM, he just contributed which is all we ask. Whether it continues or not I don't know. You don't get many fullbacks as bad as that bald guy Bolton had. However that can't detract from his best performance for months IMO.

Glad to hear it. I believe it, coming from you!

If he performs like that for the rest of the season I'd be delighted.

Something has changed, he was 'fired up', for want of a better term. Always looking for the ball, always moving into space, looking to get on the end of crosses and actually beating the first man on his own deliveries.

As for his defensive qualities, they're pretty impressive for a left midfielder. Sadly, that was all we were getting from him most games.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.