BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shabani Nonda Signs

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most obvious song for the guy is Help Me Rhonda by The Beach Boys.

All you would have to do is whenever the word "Rhonda" would normally be sung, replace it with the surname of our player, IE Nonda. Then the last line of the chorus, would be "Help me Nonda yea, go and score us a goal."

Soup a Nonda...

Soup Soup a Nonda... :P

• 3 weeks later...

let's hope he propels us to a champions league spot so we'd have the cash ;)

seriously though i mean it's early days yet and so far we havent been able to tell either way as they've played well but need to settle in, but there's every chance that in nonda and mccarthy we may just have got a player in either of them who could turn out being one of the top strikers in the league.

you can't rule it out...i mean their past records suggests it may be a possibility.

Edited by tony gale's mic

In the two games I have seen Shabani Nonda play, I get the impression that he is a better player than Benni McCarthy. Obviously we will need more games to get a more accurate view of the two, but I just think so far that Benni seems to p!ss about with the ball too much, whereas Nonda seems to have a bit more urgency and movement. Nonda also looks more of a physical presence as well, which obviously helped when challenging the likes of Woodgate today.

In the two games I have seen Shabani Nonda play, I get the impression that he is a better player than Benni McCarthy. Obviously we will need more games to get a more accurate view of the two, but I just think so far that Benni seems to p!ss about with the ball too much, whereas Nonda seems to have a bit more urgency and movement. Nonda also looks more of a physical presence as well, which obviously helped when challenging the likes of Woodgate today.

thing is though while we can't draw conclusions on either of them, the signs are encouraging. and what you said about benni is the sort of stuff that coaches can deal with and that adapting to the english game can help a lot, as the premier league doesnt give you as much time.

if i put a bet on itd be on both of them being about 12-13 goals a season strikers...although that may not be the case due to injuries/rotation with roberts and jeffers etc. but thats what i'd expect of them...however there's a chance they could be seen as being up there with some of the best come next season...not henry but the likes of keane, johnson etc.

Edited by tony gale's mic

I havent been too impressed with Nonda and the reason is simple. I remember him from his pre-injury days and he is currently a shadow of his former self. This guy had pace to burn and I dont know where its all gone.

His passing has been wayward and as opposed to someone else who posted that he seems to have urgency in him, I disagree. But with that said, he has made an impact and I hope that after a few more games we will settle further into the team.

This guy had pace to burn and I dont know where its all gone.

What do you expect with the kind of injury he recieved? Him to turn into the next Carl Lewis?! :rolleyes:

IPB Image

Some people may have missed the compilation Unleaded supplied earlier in the thread

http://max95210.free.fr/retrospective_nonda.avi

Edited by wakefieldrawks

I know it's an obvious thing to say, but I really think this deal could go either way. He could recapture something close to his old potential and score a good few goals for us and turn out to be another master stroke in the transfer market by Hughes. Or he could fail to regain his form after all the injuries he suffered and not really make an impact. I hope and believe that it could be the first one.

Sounds worryingly like Jeffers too...

It is highly improbable that Nonda will recover the explosive pace he had before that horrific break but Sparky keeps saying he hasn't reached full fitness level yet and that must be a promising sign that there is much more to come from him.

What I do like is his directness which for a team that tends to pass it about is a valuable dimmension to his game. He has good touch and if he and Benni get an understanding going so he rather than the opposing centre-half is the recipient of Benni's flicks, it could be a very exciting season to be a Rover.

Incidentally, what happened to Chris? It was back to Shabani yesterday.

I havent been too impressed with Nonda and the reason is simple. I remember him from his pre-injury days and he is currently a shadow of his former self. This guy had pace to burn and I dont know where its all gone.

His passing has been wayward and as opposed to someone else who posted that he seems to have urgency in him, I disagree. But with that said, he has made an impact and I hope that after a few more games we will settle further into the team.

On the evidence so far for the Rovers, he has made a promising start-he looked good against City, seemed to have a predator's instinct and apparently did well on Saturday.

I didn't seem him in his early days, but I did see Shearer when he first came to us. After the crude foul on Boxing Day by Leeds, he never recaptured his full speed but he still had a decent career.

If Nonda can continue in the same vein- and indeed improve- he could turn out to be a decent signing, especially if the fee has already been agreed.

The other thing that pleases me about Nonda's start is that we now have 3 potentially good strikers. It also means Jeffers can be the 4th striker, giving him the chance to prove himself but not having him overly high in the hierarchy of strikers.

He impresses me so far. Or rather... he looks like he frightens defenders with his sheer strenght. If you look at the goal he scored this weekend - how strong he looks hanging there waiting for the ball to arive so he can power it in. Reminds me of a guy strong enough to play tight end or something like that in the NFL (whats the name of that Cardinals reciever that appears to be impossible to bring down? (number 81 I think)). Maybe our US based fans have a view on this.

Boldin. ;)

Very impressed with Nonda, turned the game around against City and obviously bagged the winner against Boro. Provides the team with a physical threat upfront and, more importantly, allows McCarthy to drop deeper - he's ineffective leading the line, but a quality player when playing in 'the hole'.

He must have been a serious player pre-injury, all that size, skill and pace - still, beggars can't be choosers and we should all be very happy to have him here.

i think jeffers will be the forgotten man again at ewood. shame for him but i think jason roberts will be our third striker meaning jeffers will never get a proper run in the team to really get some form going.

I'd rather Jeffers was 3rd choice and Roberts 4th. Roberts is a Dickov-eque finisher, Jeffers is the most clinicial finisher out of both, and the most talented, given a run of 10 games I'm sure Jeffers would score the most goals out of both. Would Wenger ever even consider buying Roberts? No. Says it all.

Exactly. the guy I was thinking of. Thanks Exiled Rover. You dont seem particularly impressed with the guy? Ah well, thats a different discussion.

Bottom line is

---

Nonda is strong, relatively fast and quite skilled. So not bad huh=)

2 wins. Just what I needed to lift my spirit.

Lefts break the the rule and win come thursday.

Go rovers

I didn't seem him in his early days, but I did see Shearer when he first came to us. After the crude foul on Boxing Day by Leeds, he never recaptured his full speed but he still had a decent career.

I didn't class that as a 'crude foul' by Lukic. AS was nudged in the back by the LUFC defender and Lukic unfortunately landed on his knee.

It's a tad premature to label him "prolific" or "the signing of the season" but so far I like the look of Nonda. His bustling style makes him the perfect foil for McCarthy who occasionally doesn't look the most physically committed of players.

And unlike his predecessors in the "nuisance" role, Dickov and Kuqi, he appears to possess a modicum of technical ability.

Which is nice. ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.