SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] It's Gally Time

ABBEY

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not aware that I have said such a thing.

However he is streets better than both John Douglas and Neil Danns.

I am unsure which site you have quoted, and frankly it is irrelevant. Birminghams official site may be incorrect, but who cares. Its championship football and he hasnt looked anything special.

I have to support RTM on this one.

Can I just say, I have noticed that somewhat hypocritcally, whenever 'respected' members of this board query Hughes' decision - i.e Paul, USABlue and Abbey above have tentatively queried why Hughes isn't given Gally more of a chance, the usuals do not hit back with "HUGHES SEES THE PLAYERS IN TRAINING, HE KNOWS HOW GOOD THEY ARE SO SHUT UP YOU MORON" attitude.

Paul and Abbey (i think...) are regular attendees of ROvers matches, all respect to them for that, but it seems very duplicitous of certain members to use the "Hughes knows best" argument against a selected few.

Surely, to remain consistent, you have to either stick to it and always accept that the man who is sees the players 24/7 almost, will always be right (In which case deride Abbey, USA Blue and Paul like anyone else, for challenging this norm). Or you have to accept that despite his omnipresence in the Rovers world, Hughes, is not omniscient - not quite anyway. In which case, whilst of course you can disagree with criticism of Hughes' selections, you can never use the argument that Hughes sees the players in training everyday so will always know more than the fans about who should be in the team or not.

Having got that out the way - I have to agree with RTM and state that it would appear that the sale of Jon Douglas was a mistake - or at least not replacing him with a real midfielder was the mistake. I have long been a detractor of the four-year deal Irishman but he was at least a central midfielder. Mokoena is a bad central defender pretending to be a central midfielder. As everyone knows, I don't buy this idea that a goddam awful CB can suddenly turn into a decent midfielder mid-way through his career. The skills are transferable, which is why a awful CB will be an awful CM - unless the only thing hindering his progress as CB was physical short-comings - like Ivan Campo and his snail pace.

If a defender has technical foibles that determine him as a bad CB, these will be exposed in CM too.

Edited by rover6

This seems a bit of arguing over split milk here, Douglas has gone so that is that. Hughes we know looked at some midfielders over the summer (Malbranque, Halstaed IIRC) and no doubt looked at more. It's just bad luck that Reid and Savage are out. Hughes needs something new as the team we have sent out for the past two games hasn't had much chance of winning as games are often lost in midfield. Despite bemoaning our luck we were the poorer team in the two games.

Let's get back to ugly football Sparky! I'd rather not rush Savage back and risk losing him again for a month as well.

gally's not going to be included (from the start) while bentley's in fine goal-scoring form. i believe he could perform the bentley role with ease though, and he may even be a better crosser than DB.

i might be doing him a dis-service, but gally's a great substitute and , with games coming thick and fast, he will be utilised to full effect in the coming wks.

whether jon douglas is better than the axe is all conjecture. his goal at fulham aside, he didnt set the world alight, but he was dogged and decent defensively and would do a job in dire emergencies.

FAO reserves watchers, i notice 'burnley's own'- gary stopforth has been capataining the reserves recently (maybe only in this lancs cup thingy), how good is he or can he be ?

stopforth's profile ---- http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squ...~556139,00.html

Can I just say, I have noticed that somewhat hypocritcally, whenever 'respected' members of this board query Hughes' decision - i.e Paul, USABlue and Abbey above have tentatively queried why Hughes isn't given Gally more of a chance, the usuals do not hit back with "HUGHES SEES THE PLAYERS IN TRAINING, HE KNOWS HOW GOOD THEY ARE SO SHUT UP YOU MORON" attitude.

Paul and Abbey (i think...) are regular attendees of ROvers matches, all respect to them for that, but it seems very duplicitous of certain members to use the "Hughes knows best" argument against a selected few.

Surely, to remain consistent, you have to either stick to it and always accept that the man who is sees the players 24/7 almost, will always be right (In which case deride Abbey, USA Blue and Paul like anyone else, for challenging this norm). Or you have to accept that despite his omnipresence in the Rovers world, Hughes, is not omniscient - not quite anyway. In which case, whilst of course you can disagree with criticism of Hughes' selections, you can never use the argument that Hughes sees the players in training everyday so will always know more than the fans about who should be in the team or not.

hughes does see him 24/7 and knows millions more than any of us thats why hes the gaffer.But if he doesnt think he's good enough get shut of him ,harsh I know but its a cold hearted game nowadays.Footy is about opinions and we can voice what we view as correct ,dot mean we are right but gally is no worse than nonda or jeffers.

FAO reserves watchers, i notice 'burnley's own'- gary stopforth has been capataining the reserves recently (maybe only in this lancs cup thingy), how good is he or can he be ?

stopforth's profile ---- http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squ...~556139,00.html

I think there are still question marks about his temperament. He has some ability but if he is to make a professional career, it will not be at premiership level. I think it's an indictment of the youth policy that he's in his 4th year with us.

I thought this thread was to discuss Gally. Instead it seems to be the Mokoena, Douglas, Danns and RTM thread, with a very small percentage of Gally thrown in when people who want to talk about Gally can get a word in. Anyway here goes:

On the few occasions that Gally has managed to get on the pitch so far this season; has he let the side down in any way? IMO the very opposite applies; he has done well in the extremely limited time he has had. What more can the lad do?

I say give him a chance. Then we will all be able to form a proper opinion of him.

Edited by Fife Rover

Everytime hes come on hes looked move threatening then MGP, he hasnt looked out of place in the premiership, All of his goals and assists last season for Stoke were mainly from playing the Left Wing, not the right wing actually. Gally is a exciting play to watch in my opinion, has good skill and can pick out a good pass, hes always look to do something positive, its a shame we arent seeing more of him, maybe Hughes see's his pace and defensive skills as a letdown, again the Stoke fans always used to bash gally for the defensive side of his game.

I think Gally will be looking to leave Rovers come January, he must of thought he'd at least be on the bench with our current Injurys, what does he have to do to be given a chance?

Douglas - the Leeds fans dont even rate him and DONT see him as a starter for them, says it all really. If you dont believe this ( RTM ) take a simple look at their message board www.waccoe.com

Edited by wakefieldrawks

Everytime hes come on hes looked move threatening then MGP, he hasnt looked out of place in the premiership, All of his goals and assists last season for Stoke were mainly from playing the Left Wing, not the right wing actually. Gally is a exciting play to watch in my opinion, has good skill and can pick out a good pass, hes always look to do something positive, its a shame we arent seeing more of him, maybe Hughes see's his pace and defensive skills as a letdown, again the Stoke fans always used to bash gally for the defensive side of his game.

I think Gally will be looking to leave Rovers come January, he must of thought he'd at least be on the bench with our current Injurys, what does he have to do to be given a chance?

Douglas - the Leeds fans dont even rate him and DONT see him as a starter for them, says it all really. If you dont believe this ( RTM ) take a simple look at their message board www.waccoe.com

Think it will be another nail in the coffin if we let Gally go in january. Sparky will loose allot from the acadamy if he doesnt give Gally a chance and just lets him go in january.

As for Mr Douglas, he might not be rated highly by Leeds supporters, but i defo rate him higher than Mokoena at the moment judging by his performances...

Think it will be another nail in the coffin if we let Gally go in january. Sparky will loose allot from the acadamy if he doesnt give Gally a chance and just lets him go in january.

As for Mr Douglas, he might not be rated highly by Leeds supporters, but i defo rate him higher than Mokoena at the moment judging by his performances...

Can't say he's had no chance. 50 appearances to date. 8 goals.

Can I just say, I have noticed that somewhat hypocritcally, whenever 'respected' members of this board query Hughes' decision - i.e Paul, USABlue and Abbey

Respected me? Why how flattering.

Perhaps some of it is I will usually defer to the people that actually attend the games, somefolks however prefer to get on their soap box arguing their opinions as fact without any thing to really back it up.

Bloody hell, Danns and Douglas come of it or is RTM actually Souness? My question was quite simple I don't think I've seen a realistic answer yet.

Douglas? No Way. It was always a worry when he was around that someone might misguidedly play him.

Granted we could have done with a replacement but really wouldn't have thought that Moko would be quite so bad - and Mark did say he would only be bringing in players who would be able to go straight into the team - obviously there weren't any suitable around at our price and the injury situation could not have been foreseen either.

I don't think that Douglas or Mokoena were/are good enough for Blackburn Rovers. In my opinion, both players are of very limited ability - I cannot believe Aaron Mokoena is an international captain with a shed load of caps!!!

Mokoena just does not look confident with the ball at his feet, and I'm afraid to say that you will just not succeed in the Premiership if this is the case. He panics when he gains possession, and does not seem to have any positional sense to get into good positions to recieve passes.

Now many members on here protect Rovers players from any form of criticism (especially if they have been bought by the current manager) and we just have to accept that sometimes players need criticising for bad performances. If we accept any less, we will end up in big trouble. I'm sure MH won't let this happen, and I do sympathise with his current plight - he couldn't predict that his three of his main players would be injured at once.

Having said that, I would play Gallagher in our next game. I'm not overexaggerating when I say that I would rather play without the traditional 'ball-winning' midfielder than play Mokoena. On the rare occasion that he does win the ball, he doesn't do anything with it!!! Gallagher on the other hand has plenty of technique, creates chances and links up well with the strikers.

If I was Mark Hughes I'd;

- Firstly give Pedersen an absolute bollocking and tell him if he doesn't pull his socks up, Peter is starting the next game

- Tell Bentley he has been excellent, but that he needs to start tackling, and move him into central midfield in the absence of Savage

- Tell Gallagher to take his chance and play him on the right

- Put Tugay in the middle and tell him to shoot more

I am becoming a little puzzled at the Gally situation. Okay okay I have not seen him as much as lots of you BUT, when I have seen him he has come on and has made a genuine impact. We have created more, wehave attacked more and created more chances. What's going on, IMHO the lad has earned a shot, or am I missing something

Don't just tell me "he's not prem standard" either, I want something of substance, some examples of him not performing when he has come on to justify him not getting a go. Anyone?

Getting the topic back on track to the subject of Gally, it's fairly obvious why he doesn't seem to be getting a fair crack of the whip, McCarthy, Nonda and Jeffers are Hughes signings, Gallagher is not. That's not a particular criticism of Hughes, it's a characteristic displayed by all managers.

His lack of time on the pitch certainly can't be connected to his performances, by and large when he's come on he's done well we've looked far more potent as an attacking force.

On the flip side it's becoming obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that Jeffers has about as much chance of making it at this level again as Matt Jansen. However I would imagine Hughes will persevere with him for a bit longer as he will be loath to admit he was wrong. Which again will be to Gallagher's detriment.

THANKYOU!!! - I have been saying this since we sold him.

I think Sparky made a huge BLUNDER by selling Douglas at that point in time, we all knew we needed a new midfielder during the summer and 90% of us were screaming out for one to be purchased in the transfer thread. Everyone was saying dont worry, he knows what he is doing.... Were now getting into the season, hard games ahead, and were stuck relying on a woeful midfielder because Sparky didnt have a good backup plan incase of injury.

He had a damned good plan ........ until Martin O'Neill unexpectedly went to Villa that is.

Can't say he's had no chance. 50 appearances to date. 8 goals.

The majority of those are worthless 10/5 minutes sub appearances though

this season for gally:

Appearances: 1 Full match, 7 as Sub

Goals: 1

Yellow Cards: 0

Red Cards: 0

Minutes on Pitch: 178

Edited by wakefieldrawks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.