BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay Appreciation Society

Nayef

Get yourself a brew right now, relax and watch:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NG0EER0hQCI&sea...urkey%20turkish

Includes his goal in our 7-1 romp, 4-0 brum bashing, help from his invisible friend in downing the monkeys as well as some of his petulance (about 04:30 in the video)

And of course the ones the video doesn't cover:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sSmpSRNkQls

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o4W9qP_VY5Y

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my old Mac on a dial-up system cannot download but I can imagine.

Toogs is already another icon of a player to wear the Rovers shirt and thrill the crowd with his brilliance; following in the footsteps of many. Can't find my list at present but it includes Bryan Douglas, Duncan Mackenzie, Tony Field, Roy Wegerle, Alan Shearer and Damian Duff.

I'm so glad my dad brought me up to follow the Rovers :-)

Toogs is already another icon of a player to wear the Rovers shirt and thrill the crowd with his brilliance; following in the footsteps of many. Can't find my list at present but it includes Bryan Douglas, Duncan Mackenzie, Tony Field, Roy Wegerle, Alan Shearer and Damian Duff.

wegerle is almost a forgotten man now. his last-minute solo goal, against newcastle in 1993, remains one of my favourite rovers goals ever.

back to tugay- words cant really sum the guy's talent up, but bazza has just about managed it.

Wasn't that Wegerle goal against QPR?

No deffo against Newcastle the Darwen End had, had all the roof panels taken off as they were about to knock it down and some geordie bloke climbed up the beams and sat right at the top, the police announced the game wouldnt kick off unless he came down !!! happy days.

Edited by mattym

He's definitely in that folk hero category, though I would respectfully substitute Speedy for Wegerle and add in Noel Brotherston, Dave Wagstaffe and Scott Sellars.

But who was the other guy in the video who kept getting through 1 on 1 with the keeper???

It's a priviledge to watch him play. His enjoyment of playing the game is plain to see.

Best memories after his goals (of course) are

1. when he bamboozles opponents into thinking that the ref has blown by stopping and making as if to catch the ball.

2. Dinking the ball over the media favourite at the time Veron at OT and running around him whilst Veron had not damned clue where he was.

3. His displays of skill and control in friendlies.

Watching those clips suggest that we really need to be able to build the midfield around him to allow him to play further up the pitch. His tackle v Spurs confirmed it too! :(

Brian Clough raved about Glenn Hoddle and suggested that although he appeared slow the first yard was in his head. It's undeniable what a great player Hoddle was but with Tugay it's two yards!

Players like him turning out for BRFC is pure Fantasy Island stuff and something that we would never have witnessed until Jack W took charge. 'Legends' though they are at ewood our hero's up until the late 90's were Simon G and Mekky , neither me, my mates, my lad or any of us would ever have seen Tugay's quality nor the likes of Shearer, Sherwood, Speedie, Archibald, Hendry, Friedal, Duff et al without JW and thats why I hold such contempt for the drop offs and stayaways who take this for granted nowadays. Enjoy it all whilst you can cos it will not last forever.

Edited by thenodrog

I have always thought, well this year will probably be his last...but now I am really beginning to ask "could he make 40?"

His style of game does not demand much pace and to be honest he seems more accomplished defensively now than he did three years ago. Certainly more willingand effective in the tackle (even if it still leaves much to be desired.

In Tugay we have a player every supporter in the land should be jealous of. A true entertainer who puts the effort in too.

neither me, my mates, my lad or any of us would ever have seen Tugay's quality nor the likes of Shearer, Sherwood, Speedie, Archibald, Hendry, Friedal, Duff et al without JW and thats why I hold such contempt for the drop offs and stayaways who take this for granted nowadays. Enjoy it all whilst you can cos it will not last forever.

'Sherwood' and 'Quality' in the same sentence......jeez.

Graeme Souness has his critics when it comes to transfers (not least at Newcastle and Liverpool), but I have to say thanks to the man for buying Tugay. He oozes class, and there are probably still no better passers of the ball in Europe even considering his advancing age. Pace and strength are great attributes to have, but theres no substitute for a good footballing brain and Tugay has the best in the business.

Graeme Souness has his critics when it comes to transfers (not least at Newcastle and Liverpool), but I have to say thanks to the man for buying Tugay. He oozes class, and there are probably still no better passers of the ball in Europe even considering his advancing age. Pace and strength are great attributes to have, but theres no substitute for a good footballing brain and Tugay has the best in the business.

I think a fair summary of Souness' transfers (at Rovers anyway) would be that he is excellent at looking for bargains, but when it comes to splashing the cash he is a bit daft. Friedel, Neill, Emerton, Gray and Tugay were all pretty cheap Souness signings;

Friedel......................Free

Neill.........................£1m

Emerton...................£2.5m

Gray.........................Free

Tugay......................£1.3m

To say nearly half our current starting eleven was acquired for only £4.8m says a lot really - especially considering the length of service by these players.

If the Greatest Ever Team poll was conducted now then I'm sure that Tugs would get more of a mention than he did at the time. I'm not saying that he would merit a place in the starting XI but with every passing year he becomes more of a legend in my eyes.

Definitely. I dare say if Tugay was a local lad then he would be one of the first names on the teamsheet of a greatest XI.

I think a fair summary of Souness' transfers (at Rovers anyway) would be that he is excellent at looking for bargains, but when it comes to splashing the cash he is a bit daft. Friedel, Neill, Emerton, Gray and Tugay were all pretty cheap Souness signings;

Friedel......................Free

Neill.........................£1m

Emerton...................£2.5m

Gray.........................Free

Tugay......................£1.3m

To say nearly half our current starting eleven was acquired for only £4.8m says a lot really - especially considering the length of service by these players.

He got Stead and THompson on the cheap too, both well worth their small transfer fees to the club.

'Sherwood' and 'Quality' in the same sentence......jeez.

I'd expect little sense from you given your name. But (patient sigh) ...Sherwood had lots of qualities a strong captain, great playmaker and midfield general.....and the only guy to lift the Prem trophy along with Keane, Vierra and Terry. Just how goods that then?

Tugay is still as good as ever. He just gets more accolades as

(a) he gets older, ("he's 38 you know")

(B) he knocks in a few more screamers

(c ) the more the media get their lazy, lardy-arse, big-four-centric, view points....

He's great isn't he? He was good tonight, just like me playing five a side. I trapped the ball, played it, moved, got it back, passed it, moved, got the ball, passed it...

Then the alarm clock went off

Edited by colin

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.