Modi

TV money v KO Time  

213 members have voted

1. 1. What are your views on the Leverkusen 6pm KO

• I understand the club's logic and will be going
    • I understand the club's logic but the KO time prevents me from going
    • I'll be taking time off work to attend and don't like this
    • I'm annoyed with the club, the fans shoud come first

Look 60,000 Man U 'fans' manage to get from London and the South Coast to Manchester every other week for Utd games. If they can do it, so can we :P

I'll get to work an hour or so early and leave early, although its a bit of a trek on the M62 / M66 from Huddersfield.

I guess it will be a pain for a lot of fans but then I guess quite a few will prefer the earlier kick off times. People with Children, postmen etc. But it would be interesting to know what the difference in TV revenue and a 6pm KO and a 7:45 KO and no TV revenue but a bigger crowd would be.

Thats the spirit RR. Obviously a glass half-full type. I'm sure that you'll live a long time. :)

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting reactions: if you can attend it's a superb offer, if you can't attend it's a horrendous decision; and if you can only attend by taking unpaid time off work, it'll be the most expensive home game of the season!

Personally I think it is a financially realistic decision by the club, but a sad one from the perspective of the dominance of TV - another step closer to Cloughie's prediction of having to let all fans in for nothing.

I think it very unfair for the lucky 'I can come's' to in any way criticise those unwilling or unable to take time off work to accomodate this. One usually doesn't need to take a day's holiday to go to the cinema or see Elton John, and any boss worth their salt will be on the look out for sickies being taken that afternoon. To make up the numbers, it should be the duty of the ones who can attend to take at least 2 extra kids - treat the neighbours kids or the nieces and nephews.

The club have made their choice and must accept the outcome - they cannot complain about the turnout, nor any ill-will that results.

My first reaction to this was "what a stupid thing to do", but thinking about it more realistically there was potentially a certain advantage as well, but not sure it will work though.

No doubt about it, if you are working and can't get away early (as many people won't be able to) it is an awful and frustrating decision.

On the other hand though, it is a great oppurtunity for kids and familes to attend an evening match who normally don't, and for just £1 entry for the kids as well. There have been people on this board who have not attended night matches with their kids because it is too late - well this is the oppurtunity to to do so- £1 entry and out of the ground by 8pm you cannot complain at all on that front. However, one potential stumbling block here is that the kids (obviously) need to be accompanied by an adult. If the said adult is working and can't attend, nor can the children - so the gate is down.

I think a better option for this game would be to revert to a scheme used a number of years ago, where by children from local schools are brought to Ewood via transport, and supervision is provided. Does anyone know why this scheme is no longer used.

Also, anyone think that there would be any mileage in providing £1 entrance for under 16's accompanied by an adult on a more regular basis - sureley would help to increase gates?

I think its about time we put this into perspective. Football is no longer a sport but a multi million pound business where the fans do not count anyomore. Is it any wonder why people are becoming dis-illusioned with the game? It's a very sorry state of affairs when we have to give free tickets away to attract people to a 6.00 kick off. I certainly don't exepect to book half days holiday to attend a midweek home game. This is probably our biggest ever European game and we make it a 6.00 kick off??? WHAT A JOKE! This is definitely one sure way to keep the fans away.

Me, me, me isn't it Gazz! I'll bet there are some people e.g. parents of youngsters that are damned glad that it is at that time.

what a load of bull, can you remember a game kicking off at 6:00 on a normal working day before at Ewood so why change now. I am in my twenties and work from 9:00 till 6:00 in Manchester so there will be no chance of me attending the match and i don't think i will be on my own there as well.

As for the kick off time suiting the kids, that is complete nonsence as well because alot of parents will not be able to go with them. because they will be still at work

thenodrog what do u do for a living anyway because i want your job

Im shocked at the 6.00pm kick off. It wont be that much of a problem to me but alot of people I know have already said they cant make it.

Financially Rovers must be getting a lot out of this deal. Wonder if BRISA agreed to the kick off time??!!!??

What about a free pie as I will not have time for tea :(

It seems a lot of people for whom 7.45 or 8.00 is convenient are upset when that this match will be at 6.00. I can understand that but clearly there are a significant number for whom 6.00 will be a lot more convenient. For my group of 5 season ticket holders it will be ideal: -

I'm retired so it doesn't matter to me - I'm lucky.

My son and my brother both have jobs which require getting up between 3.00 a.m. and 5.00 a.m. - a later kick-off is very difficult for them when they are on shift the day after.

My niece and her cousin can't come to normal night matches - living near Southport they wouldn't get home until after 11.00 which is too late for school the day after.

I don't think we have any way of knowing how many are in either camp until we get to the day.

One other factor - will this be half term week? If so, there may be plenty of parents not working anyway.

And there was me thinking that normal working hours were 9 to 5. I agree that South of Manchester you'd be pushing it to get to the ground before 6 but surely it's not more than an hour from Manchester?

I would rather face the problem of how to get to Ewood before 6 pm to watch Rovers play in the latter stages of a Euro cup for free than not.

Stop moaning.

Well said that man!!!

For god sake let's look at the positives and encourage as many down to Ewood for what could be classed as one of those "great european nights"

Let's make it happen in small town Blackburn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why can't they kick off at 7:45?, ok they might not get any television rights, but they will be loosing out on what could be a nearly full attendance at Ewood

That's nonsense and you know it. If we kicked off at 7.45 it would be half full at best, even with tickets at £15. This way it will hopefully still be half full and the club will be making more money from tv revenue. Surely it is more important that the club gets extra revenue as that will allow us to remain more competitve. The tv revenue is vital to us so what is the problem. As others have said it's note every week so stop being drama queens. I've missed 4 or 5 games this season due to them moving dates and kick offs but it can't be helped.

Guest fernhurstblue

at the end of the day rovers fans love to MOAN MOAN MOAN, whether its ticket prices, people standing up, sack the manager (after one defeat at Arsenal), cant get a ticket for europe away (even thou they been to none of the previous matches!!!!!) or kick off times ..... you arent gonna please 100% of the people 100% of the time ...... :ph34r:

And there was me thinking that normal working hours were 9 to 5. I agree that South of Manchester you'd be pushing it to get to the ground before 6 but surely it's not more than an hour from Manchester?

i take it you have you not seen the traffic around Manchester at rush hour then

Guest fernhurstblue

although i cant speak for BRISA, i would be VERY surprised if the club even consulted them about the k/o time ..... as the song goes, "it's all about the money"

Maybe your working hours are 9 till 5 but a lot peoples aren't including mine and also alot of people who support Blackburn may not necessarily work within the surrouding areas. I work 30+ miles away and dont finish until 5.30, how am i expected to make the 6.00 kick off??? I am sure I am not the only person this will affect.

That's nonsense and you know it. If we kicked off at 7.45 it would be half full at best, even with tickets at £15. This way it will hopefully still be half full and the club will be making more money from tv revenue. Surely it is more important that the club gets extra revenue as that will allow us to remain more competitve. The tv revenue is vital to us so what is the problem. As others have said it's note every week so stop being drama queens. I've missed 4 or 5 games this season due to them moving dates and kick offs but it can't be helped.

Not to mention that the 15,000 that would be there for a 7:45pm kick off would very likely make the 6pm start as these are likely Rovers most hardened supporters, not to mention probably the ones that are most local.

the only thing i have to say to you is that i like to watch my team every week and with this stupid kick off time i won't be able to, just like many other fans who attend week in, week out.

Thats why we are moaning

Don't disagree with the sentiment of your post Gord but not this bit - it's 15 quid for walk ons (isn't it?) with the bonus of kids for a quid admittedly - so I'd be amazed to see lots of non ST holders. Sad I know. How many home fans did we get for the Middlesbrough game - 19k ish? Same for this one I reckon.

Your knocking £15 for walk on's?....WTF!!!! <_<

The match is moved 1hr 45 mins earlier and by the look of it many are planning a retro 1960 cup final boycott of the club......no wonder our fans get the pish taken out of 'em.

If you REALLY want to be there on the night sort yourselves out and make allowances for the early kick off you gobbins!

:rolleyes:

6 OCLOCK??????????

JHC BLOODY KRAUTS....I WONT GET HOME FROM WORK AND TO PRESTON TO PICK LITTLE LAD UP!!! CHANGE IT TO 1AM INSTEAD ...MIDWEEK 6PM ...BLOODY STUPID KICK OFF TIME

I agree it's a ridiculous kick off time. I would rather pay for my ticket and have a sensible kick off time. If I cannot get time off work then I'm ****ed.

Archived