[Archived] Santa Cruz

Best striker since Shearer?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Is he the best since Shearer?

• Yes.
    • No
    • Grooby is better than santa.
    • Yes, but he'll be gone by the end of the season
    • Yes, but he'll still be around for a few years yet.
    • No, he's nowhere near to the mighty Shearer

She's 22 but hadn't seen him put in a convincing performance. Just the way the matches she has seen (not many as she is away at Uni after spending 18 months in France where the only English games thye show involve arsenal, Man U Chelsea and Bolton) fell. As I said we soon put her right.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She's not there any more now anyway. She actually does know rather a lot about football. She really just hasn't seen him play enough to realise what a good'un he is. She couldn't get any more unless she could get on the computers in her hall of Residence. She wants to be a sports journalist and has her own radio show at Uni, so others think she knows quite a lot too. Just not about Roque!

Roque started very well for us, scoring a number of goals and looking like he could score more. The goals have dried up recently and if we are to continue doing well in the league, we need him scoring more regularly. Hopefully he will find the target today.

Roque started very well for us, scoring a number of goals and looking like he could score more. The goals have dried up recently and if we are to continue doing well in the league, we need him scoring more regularly. Hopefully he will find the target today.

However, today turned out to be a prime example of what you said. One awful miss and a header he should have done better with. I wish he was more clinical.

However, today turned out to be a prime example of what you said. One awful miss and a header he should have done better with. I wish he was more clinical.

But he isnt and never has been a "Goal Scorer " he is a assist man, and he is world class in my eyes.

He is great in the air, great touch , brilliant running and strength. When he came i doubted him , but he has proved me wrong in so many ways , an all round great player.

But he isnt and never has been a "Goal Scorer " he is a assist man, and he is world class in my eyes.

He is great in the air, great touch , brilliant running and strength. When he came i doubted him , but he has proved me wrong in so many ways , an all round great player.

Yes, he's a very good all round player and I know finishing isn't his strength. It's really cost us today though, I hope Hughesy works on it with him.

Yes, he's a very good all round player and I know finishing isn't his strength. It's really cost us today though, I hope Hughesy works on it with him.

I thought Roque was great until he was ready to shoot yesterday - held the ball up well and got into good positions. Unfortunately, shooting is a big part of being a forward....

There's been an element of desperation in the shooting of several of our players recently though. We haven't scored many and when you don't score each chance you get you become just a bit more desperate and a bit more nervy. We know Santa Cruz can score but we need him to get those kind of chances when it doesn't matter and then he'll probably slot them home easily, get more confidence and be able to take the chances that do matter like yesterdays.

When he got off to that great run of early goals I wondered if he'd hit a psychological barrier when he got to 6 or whatever is has been his highest total in a single season so far.

Looks like he has but generally the rest of his play remains excellent. It won't remain so unless Sparky makes sure he's got Sav or Reid legging it into positions to give Roque an easy pass option.

I think Roque had a bad game yesterday but I think it was his first. Last week he drew a free kick which Bentley converted and laid off a pass which resulted in a bentley brace. At least he is getting in position to make things happen. Have faith he will score many more goals.

I think Roque had a bad game yesterday but I think it was his first. Last week he drew a free kick which Bentley converted and laid off a pass which resulted in a bentley brace. At least he is getting in position to make things happen. Have faith he will score many more goals.

Think people should try and keep things in perspective. Cruz has settled in well and should get even better. It does usually take foreign players (or players new to the Prem league), 6 months to a year to fully settle in.

This guys got everything a striker needs, great technique, good in the air and gets the odd 'goal poachers' goal. Well Done Rocky, shame about the result.

Could not agree more> Why does he appear to be alone upfront? We do need a quality holding midfielder or a midfield that provides distribution up frony.Roque has great tecnique and a great attitude. Clone him in the January window.

Archived