[Archived] Santa Cruz

Best striker since Shearer?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Is he the best since Shearer?

• Yes.
    • No
    • Grooby is better than santa.
    • Yes, but he'll be gone by the end of the season
    • Yes, but he'll still be around for a few years yet.
    • No, he's nowhere near to the mighty Shearer

I think todays performance backs up my claims, this guy is world class.

He is very good but I think a world class striker would have had 5 in that game not 3, he missed a couple that were easier than the ones he scored.

He should have converted against West Ham & Newcastle too. That would be 5 in 3 and I would agree that's world class given our poor performances of late. Gets you excited about what he could do if he actually had some service!!!

World Class - Potentially but not yet in my opinion.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is very good but I think a world class striker would have had 5 in that game not 3, he missed a couple that were easier than the ones he scored.

He should have converted against West Ham & Newcastle too. That would be 5 in 3 and I would agree that's world class given our poor performances of late. Gets you excited about what he could do if he actually had some service!!!

World Class - Potentially but not yet in my opinion.

If world class strikers scored every chance Drogba, Rooney, Torres etc. would all finish with about 50 or 60 goals a season. Everyone misses some.

If world class strikers scored every chance Drogba, Rooney, Torres etc. would all finish with about 50 or 60 goals a season. Everyone misses some.

Had he only had 5 shots on target in the last 3 games I would agree with you, but thats not the case.

In my opinion Roque's finishing is average. Movement, postioning and work rate are top notch but finishing is the difference between good and world class strikers (that and 30 goals a season!).

All credit to the lad- he missed some morale/confidence level sitters in recent games, turns a nothing situation into a screamer of a goal and grabs a 16 minute hattrick.

Remember, he is in nose bleed territory now as this is already the most prolific goal scoring season of his career.

Guest WestSussexTombo
He's a one man show at the moment - without him we'd being on form we'd be an embarrasment at the moment.

I'm so proud of him and Sparky for taking the chance on him. I like him so much more then Benni at the moment. Even though he wasnt scoring he was still keeping his head up. Feeding the ball. Attempting headers and crosses. Making Man Of The Match performances.

I just think he is the kind of player you could built your squad around. To be honest, i feel sorry for him after seeing what he is capable of after all the hassle he had at Bayern. We have a real gem on our hands here! :)

I hate things like this. The guy has been with us 5 mins and he is getting compared with Big Al.

Dont get me wrong I think he is great but 6 months of footy dosnt make him the best since Shearer. Cole and Jansen are ahead of him at the moment.

If he is still here in a couple of seasons then ask the question again - but we all know he wont be.

As you can tell I am grumpy today

Guest WestSussexTombo
Well I've been so impressed with him - we have named one of our kittens after him. No doubt the kitten will be a constant reminder of him when he decides he's too good for Rovers.

Forgive me if im wrong, but he doesnt seem like that? Yes he does talk about the club often to the media (always in a positive light). But i cant see him doing a Benni, and using the media to get a move elsewhere.

Whats more, i expect him to respect the club and his contract. Especially if we can resolve this slump in form and head back up toward the European places.

Still think the only way to do this is to sell a couple of players and bring in a couple. Out for me would be, Mokoena, Savage and Benni and In would be: Huddlestone, (Lance) Davids and Anelka (or Defoe if Spurs want rid)...

Who was the last Rovers player to score 5 goals in 2 games (before Santa Cruz obviously)?

Did Shearer manage it? Can't find him doing it on soccerbase - but there is data missing for one season. McCarthy hasn't, Bellamy didn't...anyone got any ideas?

Simon Garner got 5 in one game. (Derby County home early to mid '80s). So the answer is yes.

I have a feeling that when he got 4 in the 6-0 beating of Sunderland, he scored in the next two or three games as well and that was in a later season than the Derby game.

Simon Garner got 5 in one game. (Derby County home early to mid '80s). So the answer is yes.

I have a feeling that when he got 4 in the 6-0 beating of Sunderland, he scored in the next two or three games as well and that was in a later season than the Derby game.

(Scurries for book....)And I thought I remembered that one...... but I'd got mixed up. I was thinking of the 6-1 that turns out to have been a few games earlier, curiously against another team in red and white stripes, Sheff Utd at the end of the 85-86 season. That Sunderland game (6-1 BTW) was early in the 86-87 season : SG got 4 but didn't score in the earlier couple of games and not afterwards till Boxing Day! Only got 10 league goals that season!

Archived