[Archived] Santa Cruz

Best striker since Shearer?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Is he the best since Shearer?

• Yes.
    • No
    • Grooby is better than santa.
    • Yes, but he'll be gone by the end of the season
    • Yes, but he'll still be around for a few years yet.
    • No, he's nowhere near to the mighty Shearer

It other words, he should be compared to (unnecessary players excluded):

Chris Sutton

Roque Santa Cruz

Jon Stead

Andy Cole

Hakan Sükür

Craig Bellamy

Benni McCarthy

I guess the two latest strikers to arrive has arguably been the best, Bellamy and McCarthy. Benni's goals last season made us a team fighting for Europe instead of a place in next years Premier League - and Bellamy was perhaps an even bigger reason for our good position the year before.

Stead is really not an option, even though he played a big part and I wish him only good things.

Cole played well, and had 1 goal per 3 matches I believe for Rovers - which is really good.

Sukur is a player I've always liked, a bit similar to Santa Cruz actually. Great finisher!

Sutton is hard to judge, since he played for us during a tough period.. But Chelsea paid good money, at least.

If Benni can find his feet again in the Premiership, I think we'll have one of the deadliest duo's in the Premiership (and world) come March.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It other words, he should be compared to (unnecessary players excluded):

Chris Sutton

Roque Santa Cruz

Jon Stead

Andy Cole

Hakan Sükür

Craig Bellamy

Benni McCarthy

I guess the two latest strikers to arrive has arguably been the best, Bellamy and McCarthy. Benni's goals last season made us a team fighting for Europe instead of a place in next years Premier League - and Bellamy was perhaps an even bigger reason for our good position the year before.

Stead is really not an option, even though he played a big part and I wish him only good things.

Cole played well, and had 1 goal per 3 matches I believe for Rovers - which is really good.

Sukur is a player I've always liked, a bit similar to Santa Cruz actually. Great finisher!

Sutton is hard to judge, since he played for us during a tough period.. But Chelsea paid good money, at least.

If Benni can find his feet again in the Premiership, I think we'll have one of the deadliest duo's in the Premiership (and world) come March.

Kevin Gallacher deserves a mention in that list if Jon Stead does.

I've heard that West Ham are wanting rid of Bellamy. Just think....we swap Benni for Bellamy (which would be a great deal for us) and then.......Santa and Bellers up front! Surely that would be one of the best striking partnerships we have ever had in the modern era?

I think he's wages could be a stumbling block but I reckon if West Ham are sniffing around McCarthy then this is the only deal we should accept? Thinking about it maybe McCarthy and Bellamy are on similar wages anyway...?

I can't imagine West Ham wanting rid of Bellamy - he's barely even played for them! I don't think a manager spends the kind of money that Curbishly did, then decides half a season in that he wants rid. I also remember Bellamy saying how he could envisage himself staying at the club for the rest of his career - I'd be surprised if he wanted out.

For me, Bellamy is the best striker we've had at the club since Shearer. The thought of the two leading the Rovers attack is mouth watering. RSC is a fabulous player, but with Bellamy in the team, we looked dangerous every time we went forward. I'm absolutely gutted that he left, even if he has spent much of his time either on the bench or in the treatment room.

For me, Bellamy is the best striker we've had at the club since Shearer. The thought of the two leading the Rovers attack is mouth watering. RSC is a fabulous player, but with Bellamy in the team, we looked dangerous every time we went forward. I'm absolutely gutted that he left, even if he has spent much of his time either on the bench or in the treatment room.

I think I would agree with that. It certainly is an exciting prospect to think of a fully fit Bellamy and Santa Cruz operating together. I think I could easily forget Benni in those circumstances, good though he undoubtedly is.

I think it was against Portsmouth in 2006, a 2-2 draw, where Bellamy scored a fantastic solo effort, I first got the feeling we had something special going on. He could do anything on his own at that time, and terrorized defences all over the league. I like RSC better though.

I also remember Bellamy saying how he could envisage himself staying at the club for the rest of his career - I'd be surprised if he wanted out.

Q. How can you tell when Craig Bellamy is telling lies?

A. His lips are moving.

tcj From the collection of crap and untruths that he's come out with at Cov, NUFC, BRFC, Lpool and WHU etc I would be amazed if Bellamy can even lie straight in bed! Notwithstanding the public statements so obviously written by his agent and trotted out monosyllabically for the sake of the less cerebral club fans at wherever the man is a serial liar. His world is dedicated to two things ... money and his overblown ego.

Damned talented footballer without doubt but please spare us the Bellamy 'honest injun' quotes please. :rover:

Oh bugger no more goals for a month now then. :unsure:

Worse than that- if has the same effect as MotM on Sparky, no goals in February, one fluky goal in March, a brief flurry in April and the blonde will walk out on him in May for some chap in Derby.

Q. How can you tell when Craig Bellamy is telling lies?

A. His lips are moving.

tcj From the collection of crap and untruths that he's come out with at Cov, NUFC, BRFC, Lpool and WHU etc I would be amazed if Bellamy can even lie straight in bed! Notwithstanding the public statements so obviously written by his agent and trotted out monosyllabically for the sake of the less cerebral club fans at wherever the man is a serial liar. His world is dedicated to two things ... money and his overblown ego.

Damned talented footballer without doubt but please spare us the Bellamy 'honest injun' quotes please. :rover:

Haha, fair enough.

But, for the record, when he left Rovers, he went about things very professionally. Any "lies" he told were for the benefit of the club and its fans. Maybe he's turned over a new leaf :D Come to think of it, I haven't heard his name bad mouthed in the press for some time.

I like Roque's integrity and honesty and think that he is a much better person, but Bellamy is definitely the best striker we've had at the club since Shearer.

I like Roque's integrity and honesty and think that he is a much better person, but Bellamy is definitely the best striker we've had at the club since Shearer.

The poll should have been - Who has been the best Striker since Shearer?

Bellamy, Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Sutton, Ashley Ward :blink:

Would have been a much better poll.

• 3 weeks later...

I sent Tim Vickery an e-mail to ask why he thought RSC had been such a success at Ewood and this is what he had to say:-

"he's been a class act ever since he first appeared as a 16 year old for Olimpia in Paraguay - he scored a hat trick against Velez Sarsfield of Argentina with Chilavert in goal and so we knew there was something special there - with that combination of aerial power, acceleration, first touch and two footed finishing, he was leading the Paraguay attack in the 99 Copa America at the age of 17 - that's when he went to Bayern, who really though at the time that they ahd picked up a future global superstar.

After 8 years they finally gave up on him - he had been badly hit by injuries, year after year - but the beanpole frame seems to ahve stood up well enough to the Premiership. It might be the case that Bayern was too big for him - Paraguayans in general are lovely, serene people, but they can be very shy - I've only spoken to Santa Cruz very briefly some years ago, but it could well be the case that a more homely club like Blackburn is a better environment for him."

So endeth the thoughts of the oracle of South American football as heard on BBC World Service Friday night footie phone in.

Archived