BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Eduardo

Ricky

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair play to the BBC for showing the video replay from a different angle. As I said, the incident seems different again. From the photos it looks as though Taylors challenge was stamping down towards the guys shin. However he almost tries to flick the ball away and goes through Eduardo on the upswing.

It's a nasty injury but it's nowhere near the worst challenge you'll see.

Hasta from what you've seen would you say it was a case of a "mistimed tackle"? From the replays i saw it looked like Eduardo turned shortly before the impact and Tiny got caught out for pace and couldn't adjust.

The reason why i ask is i've only seen the Sky footage and replays. Further camera angles may shed some more light on this incident.

I don't get the 'he got done for pace/skill' stance.

I mean, it is true, he did get done, but how does that explain his studs being half way up Eduardo's shin? Put simply, it doesn't.

Exactly.

I stand by my earlier post having seen the replay from close range.

Anyone who has been taught to tackle never leaves the ground with a full boots worth of studs showing.

Hasta from what you've seen would you say it was a case of a "mistimed tackle"? From the replays i saw it looked like Eduardo turned shortly before the impact and Tiny got caught out for pace and couldn't adjust.

He didn't mean to do it. If you meant to break a leg you'd come lunging with more venom than that.

It was a clumsy tackle but Eduardo was unlucky that his leg was stretched forward a bit with his studs in the ground. Had his leg been 'loose' it wouldn't have broke and wouldnt have been as bad.

If you think of some of the tackles this season (like the Stephen Hunt one at Man City) its not that bad. Anyone who sees that angle and still calls for a season long ban is overreacting IMO.

Shilto - Taylor is wrong-footed and goes for the ball. He misses it by a mile and clumsily follows throguh high up on his shin. Had he took the ball in the tackle he would have took it at ground height. He didnt go over the ball and didnt stamp down.

On the MOTD footage it looked like a good couple of inches of shin bone tore through his sock.

Wenger retracted his 'Tiny should never play again' rubbish but Eduardo will be lucky just to walk without a stick in future. Has any athlete ever come back from a compound fracture?

On the MOTD footage it looked like a good couple of inches of shin bone tore through his sock.

Wenger retracted his 'Tiny should never play again' rubbish but Eduardo will be lucky just to walk without a stick in future. Has any athlete ever come back from a compound fracture?

Cisse is still playing and he had two nasty injuries. The first looked even worse than the second that he suffered at Ewood.

It's a horrific injury and I feel terrible for Eduardo, but I actually feel that a red card was a bit of a harsh decision.

In that video, the first angle is partially blocked by another Birmingham player and pretty inconclusive. The second reply is also very fast and difficult to interprete, but all I can see is that Taylor is going into the tackle at full pace and with a lot of force.

The third angle, however, is very revealing. Eduardo knocks the ball away from Taylor and, as the ball passes him, his foot appears to be very high. However, it quickly lowers. If the ball had not have been knocked ahead by Eduardo, you can see that Taylor's foot would have been at ground level, or at least level with the ball, when the interception would have occured. This, to me, proves that there was absolutely no intent. In fact, it looks to me as though Taylor is trying to withdraw his foot at the last minute, but the speed and force at which he is moving mean that he cannot help but follow through.

To me this wasn't an especially bad challange, nor a particularly clumsy one - just very forceful, a typical centre halve's way of introducing himself to a forward.

EDIT: I have a still picture that perfectly shows the point at which the leg is broken - just above the ankle. I don't understand this talk of Taylor hacking Eduardo down half way up his leg...

EDITED AGAIN: Actually, looking at the replays at least 15 times and looking at this still picture again, I think the reason for Taylor's leg lowering quickly is purely because he has snapped right through Eduardo's leg. I really can't make my mind up on this one without some better replays.

It was horrible to see - it looked like his foot was hanging off.

Glad to hear Wenger went back on the "banned for life" crap.

As for the incident, McLeish summed it up perfectly, Eduardo was too quick for him... if he hadn't have tapped the ball away from Taylor it wouldn't have happened (not that he was wrong to tap the ball obviously)

Dunno...Cisse as mentioned?

Or Alan Smith (while at Man U), Henrik Larsson (while at Celtic)?

Jesus - there are some people on here as hystreical and Wenger and the North London nobs. Manslaughter FFS get a grip. The guy has mistimed a tackle. I'll state again my view. HE TRIES TO GET THE BALL. And as for the Wenger retraction - has all the hallmarks of legal advice if you ask me <_<

It was a freak accident but I have to say it is actually Wengers fault. Arsenal players are always looking intentionally for free kicks outside the area and tend to do that flick the ball away at the last moment and fall / dive over the tackle. If Taylor & Eduardo had completely missed each other that ball was in the possession of a Brum player anyway and the ref would've waved play on. Arsenal are a dirty team, they were by far the worse offenders in the last couple of games I've seen against us but they're not considered dirty cos they seem to ensure the opposition has the higher fouls / card count and I reckon this is a tactic Wenger orders his players to do against certain opposition. This would explain the hysterical over-reaction from him and the Arsenal players.

I'll put my flame retardant jacket on now.

Jesus - there are some people on here as hystreical and Wenger and the North London nobs. Manslaughter FFS get a grip. The guy has mistimed a tackle. I'll state again my view. HE TRIES TO GET THE BALL. And as for the Wenger retraction - has all the hallmarks of legal advice if you ask me <_<

I'm sorry but if one thing really annoys me it's when people read something you write but then only quote one word of it to completely change the context.

I said he should be punished in FOOTBALLING terms as if he had commited manslaughter in everyday life. I said this in response to the comments like ''he didn't mean to 'do' the man.'' So, my comment was suggesting that he's gone in dangerously, over the top, with both feet leaving the ground. He has ended a mans top level career as a result, so why should he only serve the same amount of 'time' as for example Aliadiere, who gave Mascherano a little slap and also saw straight red.

It's still barely a booking. To suggest it should be treated as footballing manslaughter is ridiculous - the game is already a ballet performance, such a punishment would only push it further that way. Imagine if players feared banishment from the game if they mistimed a tackle, they'd never put a challenge in again.

I'm sorry but if one thing really annoys me it's when people read something you write but then only quote one word of it to completely change the context.

I said he should be punished in FOOTBALLING terms as if he had commited manslaughter in everyday life. I said this in response to the comments like ''he didn't mean to 'do' the man.'' So, my comment was suggesting that he's gone in dangerously, over the top, with both feet leaving the ground. He has ended a mans top level career as a result, so why should he only serve the same amount of 'time' as for example Aliadiere, who gave Mascherano a little slap and also saw straight red.

1 - You cannot possibly know whether Eduardo's career is over

2 - They were both red card offences in the eyes of the ref

3 - He made a genuine attempt to win the ball. The 'manslaughter' equivelent would be if he had gone upto him off the ball and started laying into him.

Lucas Neill's tackle against carragher was worse than that in my opinion....funny how people on here werent calling for him to be done for 'footballing manslaughter'!

When it comes to viscious nasty tacklers, it is hard to look past Lucas Neill when he was in a Rovers shirt. I am not referring to the leg breaking tackles which I believe he was unfairly stigmatised for but there were other "tackles" which were premeditated x-rated horrors.

It's still barely a booking. To suggest it should be treated as footballing manslaughter is ridiculous - the game is already a ballet performance, such a punishment would only push it further that way. Imagine if players feared banishment from the game if they mistimed a tackle, they'd never put a challenge in again.

There's far too many people in the upper echelons of the game want to see that happen, Wenger included.

Archived