BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Realistic Summer Moves

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to fill in some gaps on the Warnock and Tottenham story...

It is from a long-term Spurs source who has served me well in the past with tips on Lennon, Rose, Bale and Jenas all joining. He knows Redknapp wants Warnock and it will be down to price.

Rovers ARE watching the Wolfsburg guy yet again at the weekend. He plays left back and left centre half...and is at a high price level. In the current Rovers climate that would suggest Warnock may have to be sold first.

Rovers ARE watching the Wolfsburg guy yet again at the weekend. He plays left back and left centre half...and is at a high price level. In the current Rovers climate that would suggest Warnock may have to be sold first.

If he plays left back and centre half then this story must be rubbish given the fact that Ince will need him to play in the centre of midfield :P

This is totally bizarre in my opinion. First, we should not be setting the idea that any of our players are available to Spurs (of all teams) it sets a bad example! We keep consistently selling our England Internationals, and i think it's plain stupid!

Second, with our wage structure, i do not understand the logic in selling off our first team players ala Warnock, Cruz and Samba as had been rumoured, and keeping the likes of Reid, Nelsen, Gamst and Mokoena. Who have made it badly evident that we need replacements.

The policy of effectively swapping a proven Premier League player (with no history of injury problems) for a unproven (in the Premier League) Bundesliga player for the sheer hell of it is downright stupid.

This is another factor that i hold in the negative category for Paul Ince. He is selling/replacing (not always replacing) players who have performed well for the club in the past and keeping the players who do not carry the club forwards.

After selling Bentley, i would have said the best options for January were to sign a CB, LM, RM and CM. As our defense has looked weak and our midfield has looked like it has lacked depth and wing potency.

Im now starting to wonder if any of those positions are going to be addressed? :huh:

Also let me add, that Warnock and Ooijer have looked our more capable defenders this season. If there have been anyway with our awfull goals conceeded rate! Yet Ince is obviously planning to turf them both Ooijer for free when his contract expires and Warnock to one of our main rivals?!

Wow he really is trying to drop us to his level isnt he?! :angry2:

TBH I think I would rather sell Cruz than warnock.

He'll bring in a lot more dollar, and then hopefully provided the tooth fairy doesn't swoop for it we would have a better fighting chance.

I also think it would unsettle the squad a little less, and TBH who is going to want our fringe players and even if they do who's going to pay decent money for them.

Don't Spurs already have a decent left back in Bale? I can't see Warnock moving to Spurs to sit on the bench...

I wouldn't sell Warnock, he works hard for the club and is one of the best in the prem.

Bale doesn't play much, Redknapp doesn't fancy him as a defender. Assou-Ekotto usually plays and he is not the best.

This is totally bizarre in my opinion. First, we should not be setting the idea that any of our players are available to Spurs (of all teams) it sets a bad example! We keep consistently selling our England Internationals, and i think it's plain stupid!

Hold on...this is a rival club wanting one of your players. It's not an anti-manager thing.

Or is paranoia contagious... :lol:

TBH I think I would rather sell Cruz than warnock.

He'll bring in a lot more dollar, and then hopefully provided the tooth fairy doesn't swoop for it we would have a better fighting chance.

I also think it would unsettle the squad a little less, and TBH who is going to want our fringe players and even if they do who's going to pay decent money for them.

I would rather sell neither. Cut some of the non-playables from the wage structure in Reid and Fowler, and sell some of our fringe players, and then ask the board whether they are serious about the club being a Premier League team... Then demand some of the money we 'had' to spend one whats needed.

If we were this short of money in the first place, this further highlights Ince's 'mistake' in spending 5 million on a 29 year old crock known as Grella...

I fear Grella is going to become known as our next Grella, Davies or Fergy... :rolleyes:

Hold on...this is a rival club wanting one of your players. It's not an anti-manager thing.

Or is paranoia contagious... :lol:

Last time i checked, the manager has a say in who stays and who goes...

Also, the fact that he has been scouting other left-backs kind of implies that he isnt that bothered about holding onto him...

Curiously what do people think about Henrick Larsson - free agent.

He maybe old but he still scores goals.

I'm sure we'd all rather sell none unfortunately I don't think if the 5M is to be believed its not enough one player will not make a big enough difference we need straighting in all areas except in goal.

How are we going to fill all the positions we need IE RB AMC RW ST DMC (if grella carries on as he is).

All those for 5M don't make me laugh someones on his way out.

Curiously what do people think about Henrick Larsson - free agent.

He maybe old but he still scores goals.

I'm sure we'd all rather sell none unfortunately I don't think if the 5M is to be believed its not enough one player will not make a big enough difference we need straighting in all areas except in goal.

How are we going to fill all the positions we need IE RB AMC RW ST DMC (if grella carries on as he is).

All those for 5M don't make me laugh someones on his way out.

Larsson would be good for free, i think villa are keen on him. i would take him.

If we sold santa to get janko and larsson would be a decent transfer window in my opinion.

I wouldnt sell warnock i love his crunching tackles. shows alot of commitment that will rub off on other players.

on the other hand i wonder if we could swap warnock for huddlestone. then bring in that left back from wolfsburg.

Larson will ask for massive wages, so no thanks!

Janko & Bellamy if Cruz was to go. Id see that as an improvement and we would still have money left over from that. Bank that and with the £5m we supposedly have available - buy a right winger (Kightley) Maybe £5m.

Id also like to See mokoena/ Ooijer and Gallagher removed from our payroll, and a new defender signed as a replacement.

If Warnock wants to go and the money is good, then let him - aslong as we have this replacement lined up.

Id also like to See mokoena/ Ooijer and Gallagher removed from our payroll, and a new defender signed as a replacement.

I really dont understand how anyone could want Ooijer to leave when we have Reid still on the wagebook? He needs to be released if things are so tight with wages. Either that, or realise that his injury record needs to be taken into account and a pay as you play deal be signed...?

I'd personally offer Andre a new 2 year deal...

Warnock would be a huge loss for us. Clearly grown as a character in the last year, and a leader on the pitch. He has also shown good versitility. However if Redknapp does want him and they have the funds then it is hard to see how we will hold on to him.

He is an england international and we don't have to sell so I think we could push for a transfer fee towards 8 or 9 million for him. Other clubs will want him.

We are going to have to buy some gems if we are going to sell the likes of Cruz and Warnock this window. I am not sure it is going to help us.

I really dont understand how anyone could want Ooijer to leave when we have Reid still on the wagebook? He needs to be released if things are so tight with wages. Either that, or realise that his injury record needs to be taken into account and a pay as you play deal be signed...?

I'd personally offer Andre a new 2 year deal...

Ooijer has been offered a new deal many a time and has refused to sign it as he wants to go home. Therefore we should cash in on him & save on his wages while we can. :huh:

Reid is injured - cant sell him can we? Or what do you suggest we should do with him - terminate his contract and pay him £5m as a settlement?? :rolleyes:

Ooijer has been offered a new deal many a time and has refused to sign it as he wants to go home. Therefore we should cash in on him & save on his wages while we can. :huh:

Reid is injured - cant sell him can we? Or what do you suggest we should do with him - terminate his contract and pay him £5m as a settlement?? :rolleyes:

I sympathise with Ooijer. On performances in the last year he should be starting at CB ahead of Nelsen alongside Samba. Problem is Nelsen is the captain and a great leader held in high regard so dropping him from the eleven is a big risk. You could lose the dressing room. It is a tricky situation.

We do need another pacy centreback as we are utterly reliant on Samba and the big man can sometimes completely lose it. If he got injured or suspended then we have a very slow central defence....

I agree with you about Reid. No one will buy him, he is only one or two years into a contract. He is going nowhere.

I sympathise with Ooijer. On performances in the last year he should be starting at CB ahead of Nelsen alongside Samba.

Agree that Nelsen hasn't played well since his hamstring fell off! But Ooijer is diabolical. His horrendous start in a rovers shirt was improved upon slightly as he got used to the league. But he just isn't up to the job. For me he isn't athletic enough. He is too slow and although he reads the game well, this lack of pace costs us too often. I'd happily get shot of him.

Steven Reid is useful when fit, for the sheer fact he is busy and gets in and about the action. But with the ball at his feet he's useless. I know he's going nowhere now cos he's injured anyway. Even when fit i think i'd prefer Emerton in the middle. He covers the same, if not more, ground and he can play a bit.

The sad truth of it is we have carried too many average players for a while. Hughes had some way of getting them to perfom way above their ability levels. I think its catching up with us now.

As for Warnock leaving. Well, £5m is a joke. If we are happy to accept that for him we should give up now. Easily one of the best players at the club and given the exchange rate at Rovers (£5m in = £2m to spend) its just not worth it.

Agree that Nelsen hasn't played well since his hamstring fell off! But Ooijer is diabolical. His horrendous start in a rovers shirt was improved upon slightly as he got used to the league. But he just isn't up to the job. For me he isn't athletic enough. He is too slow and although he reads the game well, this lack of pace costs us too often. I'd happily get shot of him.

Steven Reid is useful when fit, for the sheer fact he is busy and gets in and about the action. But with the ball at his feet he's useless. I know he's going nowhere now cos he's injured anyway. Even when fit i think i'd prefer Emerton in the middle. He covers the same, if not more, ground and he can play a bit.

The sad truth of it is we have carried too many average players for a while. Hughes had some way of getting them to perfom way above their ability levels. I think its catching up with us now.

As for Warnock leaving. Well, £5m is a joke. If we are happy to accept that for him we should give up now. Easily one of the best players at the club and given the exchange rate at Rovers (£5m in = £2m to spend) its just not worth it.

Whilst I agree with most of the post, I have to disagree with these two comments. Ooijer is diabolical played at full back, I would love to see Ince stop making a muppet out of him and pair him in the centre with Samba. Steven Reid has been useless ever since his injury and does not look like returning to anywhere near his form.

Warnock would be a huge loss for us.

Selling Warnock is a no no in January tell him he can go in the summer, he was rotting in pool reserves and we gave him the platform to make the England team so I would hope he could accept that, and would help us out of this mess. I think its far more important we hang on to him than RSC, with 18M we could sign a striker with quality and pace and have change, it will be far harder to replace Stevie for say the 6M that is being reported. A new/current coach would have an easier time getting them back together then acclimatising a new one into the group. Stability at the back is key for me, Olsson and then Schafer would leave us with two left backs who are new to the premiership.

Personally Ooijer's a keeper for me till the end of the year what would we get for him anyway, one? Its not worth it. We need his calmness and experience in our situation.

Personally Ooijer's a keeper for me till the end of the year what would we get for him anyway, one? Its not worth it. We need his calmness and experience in our situation.

We also need him as the only sure fire backup for Nelsen, and right now, we really need someone to back up Ryan...

Whilst I agree with most of the post, I have to disagree with these two comments. Ooijer is diabolical played at full back, I would love to see Ince stop making a muppet out of him and pair him in the centre with Samba. Steven Reid has been useless ever since his injury and does not look like returning to anywhere near his form.

He is made to look even worse at right back. I'll agree with you there. But even in the middle he always seems just off the pace. I think if he had the legs he would be a tremdous center half. But he doesn't. Anyone with pace really gives him problems. But to be fair its not just him who struggles in this department. I think this is why he always looks better for Holland. Because the slower paced internationals afford him more time. Anyway, regardless of what you, me or anyone else thinks of him, he will be gone soon enough.

Please don't read too much into my Steven Reid comments. I think he has been poor for some time. But you cannot take away his work rate. He does (did) still get in peoples faces and covers lots of ground. That much is surely true. But like i said, give him the ball.......well it usally ends up in him and the rest of the side having to cover all that ground all over again. Hence why i said i prefer Emerton.

In hindsight, this was always going to be a problem. Hughes bought in lots of players with solid athletism and dotted players around them who could play. Year on year these few attract attention of other clubs. Well this year we lost our best 'footballer' and didn't replace him. But instead of sticking to the hard to beat ethics which had served us so well, Ince tried to get the side playing pretty football. Some of these players just aren't used to it. They will run themselves into the ground all day because that is what they've been used to. But give them license to play football and they're lost.

For me we need two areas strengthening. A fast and agile center back and a big (in context to our club and budget) name who can play, preferably on the right. Simply having someone who can make things happen and who demands the ball would lift the whole place. If we continue to lose and Ince stays we will see players hiding and not wanting to take responsibility. The likes of David Bentley always demanded the ball and was always an outlet. We now lack that. And not only that but a higher pedigree of footballer raises the bar for everyone else. Since Bentley has gone we have been left with RSC struggling up front with no service and everyone else behind him playing at a far lower level of ability. The only player who is fit to lace the mans boots is Dunn. Who, like we know has probably been reduced to doing just that while he's injured.

I still believe the foundations of a half decent side are there. I just think we need to find a player who retains posession and allows a creaky back four some respite.

Archived