BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Rovers Manager

My concerns about the grinning big-time Charlie below....

Paul_Ince2_673266.jpg

I'm firstly concerned that this arrogant man doesn't have any coaching qualifications. He's been a football manager since October 2006, firstly with Macclesfield, then with MK Dons. For a man who claims that he wants to get to the top level in football management, it's surprising that he didn't enrol on a coaching course earlier.

Admittedly Ince did well to preserve Macclesfield's League status (on the final day of the 2006/07 season) , but he talked about a "long-term plan" at Macclesfield, before buggering off to MK Dons after just eight months at Macclesfield. Would it be a "long-term plan" for him at Rovers before wanting to bugger off somewhere else?

As Nicko has previously said, Ince had money at MK Dons to spend so it wasn't a surprise or a particularly fantastic achievement that he got the Dons promoted from League Two last season. We're talking about a guy with less than two years experience of management - all at League Two level.

Some may argue that Mark Hughes didn't have any Premiership managerial experience before taking over at Rovers, but the difference is he managed some big-name established Premiership players like Ryan Giggs, Gary Speed, Bellamy and John Hartson at Wales, and some of the teams that Hughes had to pit his wits against at International level included some of the top teams in Europe like Italy and Germany.

The level of football opposition that Hughes had experience of with Wales was vastly superior to the League Two teams like Dagenham and Redbridge, Morecambe and Accrington Stanley that Ince came up against during his time with Macclesfield and MK Dons. And crucially Mark Hughes and Mark Bowen had the necessary coaching qualifications before coming to Rovers, whereas Ince lacks the Uefa Pro Licence which is technically needed to manage in the Premiership - and indeed to manage in other top European leagues like Serie A and La Liga.

Although Glenn Roeder, Avram Grant and Gareth Southgate were given permission to manage in the Premieship before they had completed their coaching licence, I feel that to appoint a man like Ince who lacks both experience and coaching qualifications, would be a big gamble for our club.

Ince is an arrogant gobby manager of 3rd division Milton Keynes. He hates small town 2 bit Blackburn Rovers.

I also have the view that Ince is an arrogant individual who wouldn't enhance the image of our football club. At Man United Ince apparently insisted that he was called the "Guv'nor" by the other players. Would he be telling the likes of Ryan Nelsen and Brad Friedel to call him the "Guv'nor" too? Or does it now become "Boss"?

This is a man who hadn't even signed for Man United in 1989 before he was photographed grinning in a United shirt. He was still registered as a West Ham player when he was pictured in a United top. No wonder the West Ham fans call him "Judas".

For those who feel that just because Ince played under Alex Ferguson at United that this will automatically make him a knowledgeable and successful manager, just think of Ince's central midfield partner for four years at United - Bryan Robson - who has proven himself to be frankly hopeless as a football manager, so there are no guarantees at all that Ince would be successful at Ewood Park.

Ince has had a good 18 months at League Two level. Bryan Robson had a good 18 months at Middlesbrough to start off with, before he was found out and ended up losing his job at 'Boro, Bradford, West Brom and Sheffield United. At Inter Milan, Ince apparently made disparaging comments about Blackburn Rovers. But now Ince says that Rovers are "a great club with great traditions". He seems to have changed his tune a bit. Perhaps he's two-faced as well as arrogant.

When he left Wolves as a player in 2006, Ince said it was his intention to return in the future as manager of Wolves. One wonders whether if he got the Rovers job he would later be pictured with a Wolves shirt. Ince seems to have trouble identifying with the shirt of the team he is actually employed with.

Got to say I'm well and truly ###### off with the whole thing. The quality of candidates fills me with nothing but dread

Absolutely.

I posted last week my concerns about Sam Allardyce, his ugly long-ball tactics, his defence of vile cheats like Dirty Diouf, his failure at Newcastle, the lack of fitness among the players according to Damien Duff and also the fact that the final report of the Stevens inquiry, published in June 2007, expressed concerns about the involvement of his son, Craig Allardyce, in a number of transactions. So I don't want Big Sam at our club.

But I'm also concerned about Paul Ince's arrogance and his lack of coaching qualifications. As for Steve McClaren, well God forbid, I think there would be large-scale demonstrations and protests if the Rovers board were foolish enough to appoint him.

These are worrying times for Rovers fans.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got to say I'm well and truly ###### off with the whole thing.

The quality of candidates fills me with nothing but dread, and only goes to show just how a good of a team we've just let go.

I think the only real candidate now that would get the juices going is Ten Cate and for the sake of Blackburn Rovers I hope JW makes a real statement of intent and appoints this guy......

Let’s face it, he must be better than the other three......... :(

I agree , Gav .

Except for the bit about Ten Cate ........I'm not convinced about him either !

I sincerely hope JW is going to pull something out of the hat - otherwise we could be calling on Tony Parkes to take over for a while .

My concerns about the grinning big-time Charlie below....

Paul_Ince2_673266.jpg

I'm firstly concerned that this arrogant man doesn't have any coaching qualifications. He's been a football manager since October 2006, firstly with Macclesfield, then with MK Dons. For a man who claims that he wants to get to the top level in football management, it's surprising that he didn't enrol on a coaching course earlier.

Admittedly Ince did well to preserve Macclesfield's League status (on the final day of the 2006/07 season) , but he talked about a "long-term plan" at Macclesfield, before buggering off to MK Dons after just eight months at Macclesfield. Would it be a "long-term plan" for him at Rovers before wanting to bugger off somewhere else?

As Nicko has previously said, Ince had money at MK Dons to spend so it wasn't a surprise or a particularly fantastic achievement that he got the Dons promoted from League Two last season. We're talking about a guy with less than two years experience of management - all at League Two level.

Some may argue that Mark Hughes didn't have any Premiership managerial experience before taking over at Rovers, but the difference is he managed some big-name established Premiership players like Ryan Giggs, Gary Speed, Bellamy and John Hartson at Wales, and some of the teams that Hughes had to pit his wits against at International level included some of the top teams in Europe like Italy and Germany.

The level of football opposition that Hughes had experience of with Wales was vastly superior to the League Two teams like Dagenham and Redbridge, Morecambe and Accrington Stanley that Ince came up against during his time with Macclesfield and MK Dons. And crucially Mark Hughes and Mark Bowen had the necessary coaching qualifications before coming to Rovers, whereas Ince lacks the Uefa Pro Licence which is technically needed to manage in the Premiership - and indeed to manage in other top European leagues like Serie A and La Liga.

Although Glenn Roeder, Avram Grant and Gareth Southgate were given permission to manage in the Premieship before they had completed their coaching licence, I feel that to appoint a man like Ince who lacks both experience and coaching qualifications, would be a big gamble for our club.

I also have the view that Ince is an arrogant individual who wouldn't enhance the image of our football club. At Man United Ince apparently insisted that he was called the "Guv'nor" by the other players. Would he be telling the likes of Ryan Nelsen and Brad Friedel to call him the "Guv'nor" too? Or does it now become "Boss"?

This is a man who hadn't even signed for Man United in 1989 before he was photographed grinning in a United shirt. He was still registered as a West Ham player when he was pictured in a United top. No wonder the West Ham fans call him "Judas".

For those who feel that just because Ince played under Alex Ferguson at United that this will automatically make him a knowledgeable and successful manager, just think of Ince's central midfield partner for four years at United - Bryan Robson - who has proven himself to be frankly hopeless as a football manager, so there are no guarantees at all that Ince would be successful at Ewood Park.

Ince has had a good 18 months at League Two level. Bryan Robson had a good 18 months at Middlesbrough to start off with, before he was found out and ended up losing his job at 'Boro, Bradford, West Brom and Sheffield United. At Inter Milan, Ince apparently made disparaging comments about Blackburn Rovers. But now Ince says that Rovers are "a great club with great traditions". He seems to have changed his tune a bit. Perhaps he's two-faced as well as arrogant.

When he left Wolves as a player in 2006, Ince said it was his intention to return in the future as manager of Wolves. One wonders whether if he got the Rovers job he would later be pictured with a Wolves shirt. Ince seems to have trouble identifying with the shirt of the team he is actually employed with.

Absolutely.

I posted last week my concerns about Sam Allardyce, his ugly long-ball tactics, his defence of vile cheats like Dirty Diouf, his failure at Newcastle, the lack of fitness among the players according to Damien Duff and also the fact that the final report of the Stevens inquiry, published in June 2007, expressed concerns about the involvement of his son, Craig Allardyce, in a number of transactions. So I don't want Big Sam at our club.

But I'm also concerned about Paul Ince's arrogance and his lack of coaching qualifications. As for Steve McClaren, well God forbid, I think there would be large-scale demonstrations and protests if the Rovers board were foolish enough to appoint him.

These are worrying times for Rovers fans.

If they are really considering Ince you can interchange 'worrying' for 'depressing'. There really is nothing that I can see to justify his appointment.

At the risk of ridicule, I'm coming round to the idea of Brollyman.

I like the sound of a 5-year plan, which in my view absolutely must include a productive academy - something he has on his CV that BFS hasn't. He also has something to prove whereas BFS, in his own mind, hasn't as he didn't fail at Newcastle.

Waste of time in the current climate eit. Hughes showed us the way forward. Amongst others in just 3 years he brought in Benny Mac, Bellamy, Samba, Bentley, RSC, Warnock, Nelsen for approx £15m. If they were sold today (without clauses <_< ) they could arguably sell in the region of £50m. Thats £35 million profit! And all the while they've played in the 1st team for the club, not for the Youth team etc.

Top players are out there, let somebody else waste time and money developing them.

At Inter Milan, Ince apparently made disparaging comments about Blackburn Rovers. But now Ince says that Rovers are "a great club with great traditions". He seems to have changed his tune a bit. Perhaps he's two-faced as well as arrogant.

proof??

clearly not...what did he say?

I can't remember exactly, and I doubt you'll find a link, but when he was returning from Italy to the Premier League he was linked with Rovers. Said something along the lines of "I wouldn't to come back to a small time club like Blackburn".

Like I say I can't remember exactly (I'm sure others will) but it's stuck in my head he said something.

I've been keeping really quiet the last few days regarding the manager situation, mainly because I'd come to the conclusion that Allardyce is by far the best candidate for the job and I couldn't be arsed with abuse that would follow expressing that opinion.

Regardless of that, I have to say I'm quite distraught about Ince being approached. It's highly probably he's inspired League Two teams to play simply by being Paul Ince, but that won't wash at Premiership level. What's to say he even has any tactical knowledge, he doesn't even have any badges...even Shearer has those (or is at least on the way to obtaining them). League Two tactics bear no resemblance to Premiership tactics, how do we know he can cut it at this level? How do we know he won't waste our money when Bentley leaves?

I'm very, very worried right now. I think I'd even have accepted McClaren ahead of Ince. The only redeeming feature I can find about him is that he was humble enough to step down to rock-bottom Macclesfield.

I've been keeping really quiet the last few days regarding the manager situation, mainly because I'd come to the conclusion that Allardyce is by far the best candidate for the job and I couldn't be arsed with abuse that would follow expressing that opinion.

Regardless of that, I have to say I'm quite distraught about Ince being approached. It's highly probably he's inspired League Two teams to play simply by being Paul Ince, but that won't wash at Premiership level. What's to say he even has any tactical knowledge, he doesn't even have any badges...even Shearer has those (or is at least on the way to obtaining them). League Two tactics bear no resemblance to Premiership tactics, how do we know he can cut it at this level? How do we know he won't waste our money when Bentley leaves?

I'm very, very worried right now. I think I'd even have accepted McClaren ahead of Ince. The only redeeming feature I can find about him is that he was humble enough to step down to rock-bottom Macclesfield.

I've not seen MK Dons in the flesh myself, but their style of play seems fairly well regarded, surely you don't expect them to play like Arsenal given the players at their disposal?.

It's not as if we did under Hughes anyyway.

I never commented on the aesthetics Rev, merely how effective it will be. I completely agree that football under Hughes wasn't exactly pretty, which is why I wouldn't be worried about Allardyce coming in.

The lack of coaching badges really does worry me, it's an issue that I think is being undervalued terribly on here at the moment. All the young-ish managers who have been successes recently have studied for these qualifications and seen them as vital part of their preparation to management. I have a horrible feeling Ince is slightly anachronistic in this respect and might maintain his old 'guvnor' approach into management.

I have a horrible feeling Ince is slightly anachronistic in this respect and might maintain his old 'guvnor' approach into management.

It's a valid concern and I suppose it boils down to what must be the number one problem facing Premiership managers today. "How do you motivate a dressing room full of multimillionaires?"

All I can say is the hardline approach doesn't appear to have done RFW any harm all these years, not even now.

Fair point, I must admit I did have him in my mind whilst writing that post.

I think it takes a special character to pull-off the hardline approach though, the norm amongst top-level managers now seems to edge more toward the softly-softly approach (i.e. Wenger, Benitez, Moyes, Hughes). I'd hate to think Ince will charge in with the hardline approach thinking he can justify it with his achievements as a player, it just sounds destined to end in disaster.

Fair point, I must admit I did have him in my mind whilst writing that post.

I think it takes a special character to pull-off the hardline approach though, the norm amongst top-level managers now seems to edge more toward the softly-softly approach (i.e. Wenger, Benitez, Moyes, Hughes). I'd hate to think Ince will charge in with the hardline approach thinking he can justify it with his achievements as a player, it just sounds destined to end in disaster.

I'd be willing to wager Sparky (and possibly Moyes for that matter) don't take any prisoners in the dressing room or behind closed doors.

It's what The Mirror are reporting (according to The Daily Telegraph's Gossip page).

Fits in with what we know about JW's style.

Plus, Terim has been reported, pre Euro 08, as saying he's had club job offers which he will consider as he wants to leave the Turkish national side.

Looks like it's happening:

A Rovers groundbreaker.

Good grief! To prove that we are not a racist club we appoint a black fella..... well that racist bit is history for goodness sakes! Nowadays the common (unfounded) criticism of our club is that we are dirty northern barstewards so can I propose we'd be better served sounding out Julian Clary to come in as manager and save us from the threat of relegation cum January? :rolleyes:

Sorry but I could not resist filching these quotes from the closed thread

Can just imagine his exchange with Bentley:

"Oi Bents! If you ******* think You're ******* going anywhere before I've had a ******* chance to take a proper ******* look at you, you're one off."

"There's a new guvnor in town now and what I say ******* well goes!"

Loving the thought of it already.

Besides...he can talk to Bentley any which way he likes...it won´t change anything. Bentley is off...the only way he will stay is if he cannot get any offers at all. Like Hughes the booby prize for him is staying at Ewood unfortunately for us. What is wrong with being disrespecful to players who have been disrespectful to the club? Should we just thank them for condescending to be at Rovers?

Sorry to rain on your parade chaps but you really need to step back a little and view the scenario without your blue tinted glasses. Do neither of you see any irony in the fact that if Ince is appointed he will have walked out on MK Dons (and not seen out his contract as he stated he would in the much vaunted 'in-depth' article by some young sports journo / spurs fan) and therefore will hardly be in a position to lecture anybody else on club loyalty and disrespect? :rolleyes:

calm down dearies.......

If they are really considering Ince you can interchange 'worrying' for 'depressing'. There really is nothing that I can see to justify his appointment.

I wonder why the words "intransigent dinosaurs" came into my head after reading this post and the one from AESF leading up to it ? :rolleyes:

Good grief! To prove that we are not a racist club we appoint a black fella..... well that racist bit is history for goodness sakes! Nowadays the common (unfounded) criticism of our club is that we are dirty northern barstewards so can I propose we'd be better served sounding out Julian Clary to come in as manager and save us from the threat of relegation cum January? :rolleyes:

thenodrog, you shouldn't type 'Julian Clary' and 'cum' in the same sentence! :-)

Archived